[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Juan Anderson  (Read 9581 times)

marquette99

• Starter
Re: Juan Anderson
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 09:48:11 PM »
Wow, we are loaded next year.  Think we get in the tourney and win at least a game, BUT this is still a building year for 2011-12. Sweet 16 at least next year - can't wait to see juan in the mix.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 10:43:35 PM »
http://boxofmess.com/2010/11/27/lyrics-basketball-marquette-signed-11-juan-anderson/

Just found this interview with Juan from the other day.  Don't think this has been posted yet.  Confident young man...

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 11:20:55 PM »
MU loses three players, one coming in will for sure start, Jamil Wilson will be soph next year but in age a junior, one year under
his belt, has experience, knows what to work on this year.  Plays good competition everyday, Juan Anderson does not.  Juan
will have to be really special to get time next year.  Crowder, EWill will fight for power forward time, at the small forward it will
be Wilson and Jones, Blue will get sometime there as well.  Anderson will have an uphill battle for at least 2 years.  The guard
spot next year will still be DJO and Blue.  Again, the bigger issue is how Otule, Gardner, Cadougan, Smith separate them self for
PT time.  Wilson at the point, it will be tough to see action right away as well.  The team on paper looks good, team chemistry,
who knows.  MU still needs another power player, hope Buzz can find that in spring or maybe some 2 guard who can shoot, any
players still on our radar that fits that description?

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 01:21:45 AM »
How about one on our roster in jamail jones?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 07:50:08 AM »
I'm not sure Jamail has the ability to shoot consistently at this level right now.  He wasn't all that consistent in high school either.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2010, 08:08:32 AM »
I'm not sure Jamail has the ability to shoot consistently at this level right now.  He wasn't all that consistent in high school either.

I've now seen this thought written by multiple people. It contradicts all the reports I read of him in high school as he was known primarily as a mid-range guy who can step out and hit the 3. Below, I've copied an evaluation from ESPN from his Senior season:

December, 2009: This 6'6 Small forward has the size and shooting touch to knock down perimeter jumpers in transition or in a half court offense. He is so impressive because he demonstrates a solid shot selection which enhances his FG percentage along with great instincts on when to take a midrange jumper and nails it with consistency. Jones understands how to spot up from his teammates dribble drives or free himself reading his defender, using the screen and cutting to open spots on the floor. His three point shot is smooth, with good preparation and shot with confidence as he possesses range and accuracy that will bode well at the collegiate level. Jones realizes that he must improve his dribble penetration skills and get lower on his drives to the basket. When you score more points (32) then minutes played (23) against good competition that's special (City of Palms Classic). I had the chance to coach this young man at the Nike Vince Carter Skills academy last spring and he is a hard worker who is humble. Kevin Sutton the excellent head Coach at Montverde Academy and his staff have improved his overall game to another level. Head Coach Buzz Williams at Marquette has a great one coming to the Big East.

I get that its different scouts for different folks but the words used to describe Jones, "touch" and "smooth" and "accuracy", typically aren't used for streak shooters.

Why do people feel Jones can't shoot? Is it because he had a bad couple days in a bush league summer pro-am? Is it because he took a hurried shot in his first game as a college player?

Seems to me there is a misconception about this player.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2010, 08:14:53 AM »
It sounds like Anderson will be very good.  Unfortunately he won't be able to fill our glaring need for size and rebounding.  Getting dominated inside by Duke and Gonzaga is one thing, but getting outrebounded 31-21 by UWM is really disturbing.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2010, 08:54:24 AM »
Why do people feel Jones can't shoot? Is it because he had a bad couple days in a bush league summer pro-am? Is it because he took a hurried shot in his first game as a college player?

Seems to me there is a misconception about this player.

Having seen him play this summer, I can say he does have a bit of an inconsistent release. The elbow on his shooting arm tends to fly out which led to some really bad misses.

I know he can become a really good shooter. But I'm not sure he's quite ready to take that step because of how much faster the game moves at this level. I see Jones like I saw Erik last year, the game hasn't slowed down enough for him to show what he can do.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2010, 10:20:14 AM »
It sounds like Anderson will be very good.  Unfortunately he won't be able to fill our glaring need for size and rebounding.  Getting dominated inside by Duke and Gonzaga is one thing, but getting outrebounded 31-21 by UWM is really disturbing.

wow the pessimism...u dont think Otule and Gardner being a year older and the additon of Wilson will make us a better rebounding team? 

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2010, 10:30:21 AM »

wow the pessimism...u dont think Otule and Gardner being a year older and the additon of Wilson will make us a better rebounding team? 

Of course those things will help, Canada.  But the biggest problem for this team now is rebounding and I would feel a lot better about next year's class if we could bring in someone to specifically address that need.  Not exactly a novel idea around here.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 10:46:36 AM »
Of course those things will help, Canada.  But the biggest problem for this team now is rebounding and I would feel a lot better about next year's class if we could bring in someone to specifically address that need.  Not exactly a novel idea around here.

God's Gift would be nice.  I think he is averaging something like 13 rpg in JC so far this season. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 10:57:04 AM »
God's Gift would be nice.  I think he is averaging something like 13 rpg in JC so far this season. 

God's Gift's averages thru 9 games: 16 points, 12 rebounds, 3.5 blocks

He would look good in a Marquette uniform.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2010, 11:33:50 AM »
God's Gift's averages thru 9 games: 16 points, 12 rebounds, 3.5 blocks

He would look good in a Marquette uniform.

Dont get blinded by his stats. The school he plays for (Erie Community College) is in Division 2 of the NJCAA...a lower level of JUCO ball.

By comparison...Howard (Crowder), Indian Hills (Buycks), Hutchinson (DJO) and Tyler (Butler/Fulce) are all Divison 1 schools. Kaylon Williams, the PG for UWM who we just faced, went to Kirkwood Community College, which is Division 2.

Going back further...North Dakota State College of Sciences (Jamil Lott), Southwestern Illiniois (Trend Blackledge) are Division 1 schools. Minnesota Tech (Mike Kinsella) is Division 3.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 12:02:08 PM »

If you look at MU's career rebounding stats and adjust for minutes played, rebounding is an area that is more related to minutes played than improvement with experience.

For example, Lazar Hayward's raw rebounding improved from 3.6 per game as a frosh to 7.5 as a senior.  But his minutes increased from 16 per game to 32.  Wesley Matthews improved from 4.0 to 5.7, but his minutes increased from 25 to 34.  Even Dwight Burke went from 0.8 to 3.4, but minutes increased from 5.3 to 19.3. 

The biggest improvement seems to be Steve Novak, who increased from 2.2 to 5.9 boards, but mpg increased from 15.5 to 33.8. 

I'm sure someone will find counter-examples, but it sure seems like most rebounding stats are much more closely aligned with minutes played rather than experience.

We might find that if Otule and Gardner get more minutes, they'll get more rebounds--and if their minutes come from poorer rebounders we'll see a team improvement. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 12:19:45 PM »
If you look at MU's career rebounding stats and adjust for minutes played, rebounding is an area that is more related to minutes played than improvement with experience.

For example, Lazar Hayward's raw rebounding improved from 3.6 per game as a frosh to 7.5 as a senior.  But his minutes increased from 16 per game to 32.  Wesley Matthews improved from 4.0 to 5.7, but his minutes increased from 25 to 34.  Even Dwight Burke went from 0.8 to 3.4, but minutes increased from 5.3 to 19.3. 

The biggest improvement seems to be Steve Novak, who increased from 2.2 to 5.9 boards, but mpg increased from 15.5 to 33.8. 

I'm sure someone will find counter-examples, but it sure seems like most rebounding stats are much more closely aligned with minutes played rather than experience.

We might find that if Otule and Gardner get more minutes, they'll get more rebounds--and if their minutes come from poorer rebounders we'll see a team improvement. 

For a guys like Otule and Gardner, I do think that experience will help them with their rebounding. Otule had a growth spurt in HS and is still actually learning the game of basketball. Gardner, I have to assume, was bigger than most everyone he played against in HS so he never really had to learn how to rebound; he just reached up and got the ball.

Most people think that if you're tall you can rebound, but there's more to it than that (though being tall doesn't hurt). Lazar was a generous 6'6" and he was an excellent rebounder. Dennis Rodman was also a generous 6'6" and he's one of the best rebounders in NBA history. It's just as much about knowing angles, getting position and holding position as it is about height and jumping abilities.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2010, 02:56:40 PM »
Having seen him play this summer, I can say he does have a bit of an inconsistent release. The elbow on his shooting arm tends to fly out which led to some really bad misses.

I know he can become a really good shooter. But I'm not sure he's quite ready to take that step because of how much faster the game moves at this level. I see Jones like I saw Erik last year, the game hasn't slowed down enough for him to show what he can do.

Thank you for some insight.

Not living in Milwaukee, my time having seen Jones in person is limited. It just seemed strange since coming out of prep I remember a lot of the reports mentioned shooting ability but a few people here had almost brushed off his jumper that it didn't make sense.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2010, 03:41:06 PM »
Gardner has 19 rebounds in 60 minutes.

Thats not bad for a frosh. Small sample for sure but 9.5 boards per 30 minutes of game action tells me he has the potential to be a good rebounder.

Especially as his body continues to get in better shape.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2010, 07:55:40 PM »
Going back further...North Dakota State College of Sciences (Jamil Lott), Southwestern Illiniois (Trend Blackledge) are Division 1 schools. Minnesota Tech (Mike Kinsella) is Division 3.

NO WONDER!!!!!!!  >:(
SS Marquette

feedback