[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Matt Velazquez] Kalif Young to visit Marquette this week  (Read 52598 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: [Matt Velazquez] Kalif Young to visit Marquette this week
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2016, 02:25:20 PM »
Shouldn't have shown Wally the door if you're not gonna fill the 13th spot. That said, I think we're in good shape with Young.

As for not landing Miller/Lee, I don't think debacle is the best word - but Wojo screwed the pooch shooting for the moon and coming up short.  Last years team badly needed a shooter, and there were other grad transfers that could have been had.  He needed to widen his horizons a bit, especially with a Hank a virtual lock to be a 1 and done.

See this is where I take the "Hank was not part of the original plan" view of Wojo's first two years. I think Wojo was going for the slow and measured rebuild but when he got a shot at Hank he took it which forced him to go into win now mode and try and grab one great piece that would help him win big which would have been Lee.

Also in his defense, if Duane played at a level that the natural progression curve would have anticipated the need for a strong shooter/slasher would not have been as big an issue as it was.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2016, 02:27:02 PM »
Maybe he will decide to take more visits, because at this point it does not look like either visit made up his mind.

maybe he's taking his obligatory louisville tour(doesn't everyone?) just to compare recruiting methods-heyheyn'a? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2016, 02:55:39 PM »
It is the origin of the Heisenberg/Big Daddy feud. Which Hberg firmly lost....so its a personal debacle?

Ahh yes.  For some reason I thought it was Ners/BD.  Makes sense now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #153 on: May 17, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »
It is the origin of the Heisenberg/Big Daddy feud. Which Hberg firmly lost....so its a personal debacle?

Feud over ... we are all good.  Had a post about it a few weeks ago.

For those joining late ... Big Daddy is very plugged in to the program.  About a year ago he posted that the coaching staff was very confident that either Shonn Miller and/or Damion Lee would be grad transferring here.  The impression was that coaching staff was so sure they were effectively measuring them for unis.  Then Miller went to Uconn and Lee to Louisville without either even making a visit here.  I was asking how the coaching staff was this far off.  That was the debacle.  The coaching staff was very sure one or both were coming and, in the end, they could get either to even make a visit.

Now we have the coaches showed Wally the door, a guy that played 250 minutes in total this last season.  The stated reason was track was taking from his focus.  But Wally being a two sport athlete was well known with him coming in so it was not a surprise. 

So if we go into next season with an open schollie, after dumping Wally, are we saying that an empty chair is better than Wally?  I've seen no one say he was a cancer on the team and deserved to go,

Or, does it represent a gross miscalculation by the coaching staff regarding transfers ... for the second year in a row?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:04:19 PM by Heisenberg »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #154 on: May 17, 2016, 06:25:53 PM »

For those joining late ... Big Daddy is very plugged in to the program.  About a year ago he posted that the coaching staff was very confident that either Shonn Miller and/or Damion Lee would be grad transferring here.  The impression was that coaching staff was so sure they were effectively measuring them for unis.  Then Miller went to Uconn and Lee to Louisville without either even making a visit here.  I was asking how the coaching staff was this far off.  That was the debacle.  The coaching staff was very sure one or both were coming and, in the end, they could get either to even make a visit.

Now we have the coaches showed Wally the door, a guy that played 250 minutes in total this last season.  The stated reason was track was taking from his focus.  But Wally being a two sport athlete was well known with him coming in so it was not a surprise. 

So if we go into next season with an open schollie, after dumping Wally, are we saying that an empty chair is better than Wally?  I've seen no one say he was a cancer on the team and deserved to go,

Or, does it represent a gross miscalculation by the coaching staff regarding transfers ... for the second year in a row?

The worst part about an empty scholly IMHO would be the optics of it.

Wojo forces Wally off team to open spot. Then can't fill spot.

Whether that's the truth or there's just some "truthiness" to it or whatever, that's what it will look like.

I remain confident the scholly will be filled. I'm never the biggest fan of the "what if this doesn't happen" speculation threads.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #155 on: May 17, 2016, 07:46:21 PM »

So the "Lee/Miller Debacle" was that you got the wrong impression from Big Daddy's post. Got it.

Wally is better than an empty chair. But not by much. He was not going to play any significant minutes for us next season. Wally was let go when he was so Wojo could go to Young and Gill and say "we have an open spot for you" rather than "we will find an open spot for you." The former is a little more attractive to recruits than the other.

If we miss out on Young's services this will not be a debacle. It will simply be a recruiting miss. Something every coach has. Also, if we miss on Young, there are still other options we could pursue.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2016, 07:49:27 PM »
Come on Kalif.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2016, 08:23:39 PM »
The worst part about an empty scholly IMHO would be the optics of it.

Wojo forces Wally off team to open spot. Then can't fill spot.

Whether that's the truth or there's just some "truthiness" to it or whatever, that's what it will look like.

I remain confident the scholly will be filled. I'm never the biggest fan of the "what if this doesn't happen" speculation threads.
Wouldn't another perspective be that Wojo was insanely honest with Wally about his playing opportunity?  Beginning with his transfer from MN......'hey, we're completely depleted.  maybe 9 scholly's so you will definitely get playing time after you sit out a year.  after that.....we'll see what your development brings and what talent wants to commit to MU.' 

If you assume he's 100% honest with a recruit from the first time he sees them through their MU career, doesn't it actually reflect positively on him?  I'm not in those conversations (until 6 years from now when my 5'11" painfully smart but woefully uncoordinated oldest looks at schools), but if i was i think it would be refreshing given the assumptive competition. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #158 on: May 17, 2016, 08:42:45 PM »
See this is where I take the "Hank was not part of the original plan" view of Wojo's first two years. I think Wojo was going for the slow and measured rebuild but when he got a shot at Hank he took it which forced him to go into win now mode and try and grab one great piece that would help him win big which would have been Lee.

Also in his defense, if Duane played at a level that the natural progression curve would have anticipated the need for a strong shooter/slasher would not have been as big an issue as it was.

If "Hank was not part of the original plan" then why in the world did we give his not very good at basketball brother Wally a scholarship a whole year before Hank could play at Marquette? Hank was always part of the plan and so was winning ASAP. Unfortunately the best laid plans...

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #159 on: May 17, 2016, 08:50:16 PM »
If "Hank was not part of the original plan" then why in the world did we give his not very good at basketball brother Wally a scholarship a whole year before Hank could play at Marquette? Hank was always part of the plan and so was winning ASAP. Unfortunately the best laid plans...

MU badly needed guys. I agree Henry was always in the plans, but Wally was a much needed d1 body when he originally came to Mu.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2016, 08:57:07 PM »
MU badly needed guys. I agree Henry was always in the plans, but Wally was a much needed d1 body when he originally came to Mu.

If there wasn't a Henry Wally never would have been at MU.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2016, 08:57:17 PM »
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2016, 09:08:29 PM »

Let me rephrase, Henry was a hope but not something you count on. Wally got a scholarship because we needed athletic bodies and he might help win us Henry. Once we got Henry things got to the all in stage, unfortunately the all in didn't happen because Miller and Lee never got to campus before committing.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2016, 10:26:36 PM »
Wouldn't another perspective be that Wojo was insanely honest with Wally about his playing opportunity?  Beginning with his transfer from MN......'hey, we're completely depleted.  maybe 9 scholly's so you will definitely get playing time after you sit out a year.  after that.....we'll see what your development brings and what talent wants to commit to MU.' 

If you assume he's 100% honest with a recruit from the first time he sees them through their MU career, doesn't it actually reflect positively on him?  I'm not in those conversations (until 6 years from now when my 5'11" painfully smart but woefully uncoordinated oldest looks at schools), but if i was i think it would be refreshing given the assumptive competition.

I'm not arguing about what the story really is. I honestly don't know.

I just mentioned the optics, what it would look like.

You do see the difference, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2016, 10:45:28 PM »
Let me rephrase, Henry was a hope but not something you count on. Wally got a scholarship because we needed athletic bodies and he might help win us Henry. Once we got Henry things got to the all in stage, unfortunately the all in didn't happen because Miller and Lee never got to campus before committing.

Fair.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #165 on: May 17, 2016, 11:24:42 PM »
Ners still has eligibility left.

He dunked on high school.

Clearly as good of, if not a better jumper than Wally.

#donedeal?

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #166 on: May 18, 2016, 06:28:55 AM »
Any word on an announcement for Kalif Young yet?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2016, 07:12:57 AM »
Mark Miller still predicts Marquette.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2016, 07:40:48 AM »
Mark Miller still predicts Marquette.

Does that mean he believes there's a strong likelihood that Young goes to MU, or is he just playing a little marketing game and feels quite unsure where things land? If the former... who cares, aiiiina?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2016, 08:03:44 AM »
Ners still has eligibility left.

He dunked on high school.

Clearly as good of, if not a better jumper than Wally.

#donedeal?

On the court, Ners could be our next Dwyane Wade...but on the bench, he'd be the next Tim Maymon.

No thanks.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2016, 08:06:46 AM »
I'm not arguing about what the story really is. I honestly don't know.

I just mentioned the optics, what it would look like.

You do see the difference, right?

I see what you did there

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2016, 08:50:51 AM »
Does that mean he believes there's a strong likelihood that Young goes to MU, or is he just playing a little marketing game and feels quite unsure where things land? If the former... who cares, aiiiina?

I would guess in this case, both.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2016, 08:53:46 AM »
Mark posts on crystal bowel when he knows something.  He posts on it when it doesn't. 

IOW, while he *usually* is correct, he's not 100%...and doesn't claim to be.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #173 on: May 18, 2016, 08:55:59 AM »
On the court, Ners could be our next Dwyane Wade...but on the bench, he'd be the next Tim Maymon.

No thanks.
I agree with this analysis.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2016, 09:11:57 AM »

Why do you feel the need to make this comment every single time Crystal Ball is mentioned? Anyone who reads Scoop with any regularity knows you hate Crystal Ball. Good, great, grand. 

While it may not mean much (I think we all can agree on this), some still care to hear about it since it is May and not much is going on as it relates to MU or CBB. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.