'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Coaching Carousel  (Read 130330 times)

rgoode57

• Starter
Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2023, 12:59:28 PM »
DePaul has likely reached the point where it is difficult to attract a proven high-major coach like Chris Mack. They are probably in the area now where you have to take a chance on a guy who has been coaching at a mid-major. But, that can work out really well sometimes - i.e. Dennis Gates at Missouri. But, they first have to make up their minds to actually try to improve the program.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2023, 01:17:20 PM »

Moser won’t leave Oklahoma for DePaul.

1 or 2 rich alumni willing to double his pay would probably do it. All it takes is selling 1 or 2, like when people thought we couldn't afford Wojo's buyout. Wouldn't have to be Moser exactly though, just someone of that ilk (who doesn't rely on recruiting success to have success, implements a system that lower rated guys can grow into over time). Which I guess begs the question of why this mythical DePaul alum(ni) hasn't done something like that yet. I'm talking selfishly here, I live walking distance from Wintrust and would kill to have some decent convenient local hoops option but that place is a morgue currently, very depressing. And for the sake of long-suffering DePaul fans I know (yes they exist lol!) I just want to see them in the tournament at least once this generation. They're going nowhere fast though, gotta cut bait with the current regime.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2023, 01:23:14 PM »
I could see Wardle being a candidate.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2023, 01:36:27 PM »

He’s lost 4 straight, including a home loss to Cleveland State.

Now, I’d love to see him there and go 2-0 against Marquette just to read Willie’s posts
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2023, 01:42:11 PM »
Weren't Gates and Moser candidates when Stub was hired? They both ran for the hills, iirc.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2023, 02:21:50 PM »
Weren't Gates and Moser candidates when Stub was hired? They both ran for the hills, iirc.

were they offered the peanuts package Stubbs got (with commensurate returns on their being so cheap)?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2023, 02:56:11 PM »
Wut, he is waiting for Shaka to leave.
Goal is National Championship

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2023, 03:04:29 PM »
Josh Schertz (Indiana State coach) makes sense for DePaul.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2023, 03:11:16 PM »

Or Rashon Bruno at NIU.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2023, 03:25:29 PM »
DePaul has likely reached the point where it is difficult to attract a proven high-major coach like Chris Mack. They are probably in the area now where you have to take a chance on a guy who has been coaching at a mid-major. But, that can work out really well sometimes - i.e. Dennis Gates at Missouri. But, they first have to make up their minds to actually try to improve the program.

This is exactly it.  They shouldn't be thinking about "being serious about competing."  There are steps.  They need to be serious about not being absolute garbage, and about injecting some energy into the program.  Crean isn't the guy, but what Crean was when he was hired by MU is what they should be looking for.  A young energetic salesman.  Someone who worked as an assistant at a successful power 5 program and then has had some success at the mid or low major level as a head coach.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

asdfasdf

• Starter
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2023, 03:29:29 PM »

I like Schertz a lot, but I don't think DePaul makes sense for him. Not sure why he would sell himself short like that.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2023, 04:15:13 PM »
This is exactly it.  They shouldn't be thinking about "being serious about competing."  There are steps.  They need to be serious about not being absolute garbage, and about injecting some energy into the program.  Crean isn't the guy, but what Crean was when he was hired by MU is what they should be looking for.  A young energetic salesman.  Someone who worked as an assistant at a successful power 5 program and then has had some success at the mid or low major level as a head coach.

I think that's what they thought they were getting with Stubblefield--maybe not the young part, but he was viewed as a successful assistant and recruiting whiz for Dana Altman at Oregon.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2023, 04:25:09 PM »
Billy Donovan is in Chicago
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2023, 04:26:59 PM »
Win - Win for Chicago.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2023, 07:46:33 PM »

I respectfully disagree. They need an actual head coach and W's not a shot in the dark on a cheap assistant that has salesman traits. Wins would be such a shock to the system that they'd sell themselves

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2023, 07:49:45 PM »

I respectfully disagree. They need an actual head coach and W's not a shot in the dark on a cheap assistant that has salesman traits. Wins would be such a shock to the system that they'd sell themselves

A young, energetic mid-major coach. They aren’t going to get a seasoned coach unless it’s a Wainright or Purnell type.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2023, 08:13:09 PM »

Gotta at least make a call, dontcha?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2023, 08:15:59 PM »
ND sucks

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2023, 08:18:19 PM »
You would think that the nations largest catholic university would have some draw for a head coach.  But their basketball has been so marginal for decades that there is that legacy to deal with.   

Duke, a private school also has about 17500 students.  DePaul n th8nknis around 24,000.   But who wants to coach there?!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2023, 08:28:17 PM »

Of course that’d be ideal. I just don’t think any proven coach is even answering that phone call.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2023, 08:32:04 PM »
Tom Crean, your table is ready.

1. Unemployed for 2 seasons
2. Total failure at his last position (.208 conference winning % in his tenure, 1-17 his final season).
3. Turns 58 in March

Checks all the boxes.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2023, 08:36:25 PM »
Crean has not been good for quite a while…. But he’d be better than the clown they currently have…

Duh Paul will lose 20+ games this year

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2023, 08:49:51 PM »
Crean has not been good for quite a while…. But he’d be better than the clown they currently have…

Duh Paul will lose 20+ games this year

20??? Big deal. The last team that TC coached lost 26 at the University of Georgia. The worst record (6-26) and most losses in the school’s history. Maybe he could set a similar record at DePaul - based on his trajectory it’s certainly possible.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2023, 09:18:48 PM »
20??? Big deal. The last team that TC coached lost 26 at the University of Georgia. The worst record (6-26) and most losses in the school’s history. Maybe he could set a similar record at DePaul - based on his trajectory it’s certainly possible.

Cool! If DePaul cannot win games, let's see if they can find a coach who can lose all the games. Ewing showed the way in conference play '21-22'. I bet they could do it with half way decent non con opponents.

OK....agree that Crean is not the guy to resurrect DP. If they really want to become relevant, they will have to do it in stages, starting with a mid-major coach. Even with immediate transfers and probably upgrading to a coach from a major conference, the process could easily take 5 years or more.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 10:10:50 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2023, 09:33:19 PM »
Of course that’d be ideal. I just don’t think any proven coach is even answering that phone call.

I mean like a Dennis Gates coming out of Cleveland State with actual proven head coaching success looking for a power conference shot not a career assistant like Wojo or Stubbs, even if he's an energetic salesman

feedback