[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jop  (Read 4614 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Jop
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2024, 09:18:42 AM »
Yep. Would hate to see him elevate his game down.

That was a typo..  I realize he's not Dominique Wilkins. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2024, 10:05:15 AM »
That was a typo..  I realize he's not Dominique Wilkins.
You mean Jop is not a potential NBA HOFer? SAD
Goal is National Championship

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2024, 09:01:03 PM »
Jop needs to be better.  He can't just be a spot shooter.  Get him a few wide post touches where he doesn't need to dribble much

mug644

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2024, 11:33:02 AM »
Jop needs to be better.  He can't just be a spot shooter.  Get him a few wide post touches where he doesn't need to dribble much

I was surprised yesterday at a couple of comments that Raftery made about Jop...paraphrasing, he first said, as Jop was backing into the lane, "Joplin can do that and needs to moving into the lane more" and later, as Jop pulled up for a 3, "Joplin has added that to his game." I really like Raftery but wonder if he started imbibing even earlier than normal yesterday, it being a holiday and all.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2024, 12:56:35 PM »
I was surprised yesterday at a couple of comments that Raftery made about Jop...paraphrasing, he first said, as Jop was backing into the lane, "Joplin can do that and needs to moving into the lane more" and later, as Jop pulled up for a 3, "Joplin has added that to his game." I really like Raftery but wonder if he started imbibing even earlier than normal yesterday, it being a holiday and all.

Jolp had a really nice spin move in the lane yesterday.  Obviously, he's had some trouble in the lane off the dribble, which I in part is due to his lack of explosiveness.  But what I've noticed is he's not decisive when he gets in there and often gets himself in trouble.  If that's going to be a part of his game he needs to work on his footwork and some counters when his first option isn't there. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2024, 01:13:12 PM »
Jolp had a really nice spin move in the lane yesterday.  Obviously, he's had some trouble in the lane off the dribble, which I in part is due to his lack of explosiveness.  But what I've noticed is he's not decisive when he gets in there and often gets himself in trouble.  If that's going to be a part of his game he needs to work on his footwork and some counters when his first option isn't there.

Bingo. Plus, he needs to recognize traps and find an outlet.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2024, 03:09:46 PM »
the post game tv interview Raf did with Shaka, Raf is REALLY close to Shaka! And Shaka has this look on his face like…ok, firebreather!!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2024, 03:12:00 PM »
Bingo. Plus, he needs to recognize traps and find an outlet.

Yep. And if he can develop that and integrate it into his game, he could be really good. Without it, the ceiling is definitely limited. He's not blessed with great lateral speed or athleticism so the mental part of his game has to be more advanced for him to reach the next level.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2024, 04:00:41 PM »

It was a great spin move, and I'd love to see more of it. I don't know if it was an instinctive play, but I think he totally caught the defender off guard, perhaps because scouting reports probably show Jop catching, moving slowly and backing in with a dribble. If he can be quick like that move, that changes things.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2024, 07:08:48 PM »
Update

Jop now shooting 41% from 3 for the season and a sizzling 46% in conference play.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2024, 07:10:03 PM »
Update

Jop now shooting 41% from 3 for the season and a sizzling 46% in conference play.

Hes also shooting the same 41% from 2

More evidence he needs to stick to what hes good at and thats firing from distance. Because even if his drive in the lane isnt a TO, its a low percentage shot.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2024, 07:55:13 PM »
I dunno…. It seems to me that when Jop drives, he loses site of the basket, and defenders and is trying to focus on dribbling, which is a disadvantage because it slows him down, giving defense more time to strip the ball.     

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2024, 10:25:14 PM »
 Jop>Jolp
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2024, 01:47:23 PM »
Mea culpa

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2024, 02:42:17 PM »
Jop’s offense seems to feed his defense. His effort and activity on D have improved a lot over last year, but yesterday there was a next level effort/energy/impact on defense. Hope that continues.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2024, 02:54:16 PM »
Jop’s offense seems to feed his defense. His effort and activity on D have improved a lot over last year, but yesterday there was a next level effort/energy/impact on defense. Hope that continues.

A few times, it was almost a "hey, who is this guy!" vibe. He wasn't just adequate defensively, he was a difference-maker on quite a few plays.

I also agree about offense feeding defense. That's not uncommon, but it can be especially prevalent with some players. Jop can take that next step if he has more of Stevie's mindset - even if the O isn't there. the defense is. Not easy, though, or else everybody would be like that.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2024, 04:03:53 PM »
Jop’s chest bump with Shaka yesterday was a great moment.  Jop had two deflections on that SH possession.  He was playing on a whole new level.