'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Howard the leader this team has been missing?  (Read 6669 times)

kryza

• Team Captain
Is Howard the leader this team has been missing?
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:06:16 PM »
His play and attitude continues to grow. He takes charge when we need a bucket and encourages and talks to his teammates consistently. He's only 17, but he sure seemed like the boss out there tonight.

Having a 17 year old team leader may be the reason we are losing leads at the end of the game too, but I love the potential.

tower912

• All American
Re: Is Howard the leader this team has been missing?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:08:37 PM »
So far. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

source?

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 09:10:36 PM »
Yes. Thank God he's here.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 09:43:52 PM »
His play and attitude continues to grow. He takes charge when we need a bucket and encourages and talks to his teammates consistently. He's only 17, but he sure seemed like the boss out there tonight.

Having a 17 year old team leader may be the reason we are losing leads at the end of the game too, but I love the potential.

I just took 2 two shots as a result of reading your post. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:45:39 PM by mug644 »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 09:44:31 PM »
Yes.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 09:59:34 PM »
Our team leader may not be able to get into an R-rated movie, but he can definitely score. 

A bright future that young man has.  I hope he stays here all four years.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:36:40 PM »
Our team leader may not be able to get into an R-rated movie, but he can definitely score. 

A bright future that young man has.  I hope he stays here all four years.

Get with the times.  R rated movie age is 17.  He's 17.

Can't vote.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 10:37:47 PM »
He's already the best player and leader of the team. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 11:08:56 PM »
Best freshman since Bo Ellis?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 11:44:20 PM »
He's already the best player and leader of the team.

Pretty good considering that a little more than a month ago he was (in one man's eye, anyway) the third best offensive PG on the roster. LOL

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 02:26:34 AM »
Dr. B

Definitely best freshman since HE. This kid has a chance to be very, very, very good. Bo is still the standard, but MH has some games left to narrow the gap. His demeanor and confidence are almost as impressive as silky smooth shot.

I said it last week that big time kudo's to Wojo for landing him and big time props for TC for making the decision he made. While TC did not impress me on the court, very impressed with decision and comments he made about MH.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 03:48:17 AM »
We're talking Dominic James / Doc Rivers level here.
And considering he's a much better shooter than James (albeit fewer rebounds by far and fewer assists), I think we're looking at a Doc Rivers type of talent here. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

connie

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 05:53:02 AM »
Looks like it.  Tough, clutch and talented.  Things are looking awfully good so far.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 06:24:04 AM »
If he keeps playing the way he has when do you think he will try out for the NBA? Do you think he is as good as these guys are? Howard is under 6 ft tall IIRC, if not I stand corrected.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/02/23/ranking-nba-top-10-under-six-feet-tall

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 06:27:07 AM »
Get with the times.  R rated movie age is 17.  He's 17.

Can't vote.

He can on Hometown Heros.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 06:30:27 AM »
Pretty good considering that a little more than a month ago he was (in one man's eye, anyway) the third best offensive PG on the roster. LOL

You should probably invest in some reading comprehension courses.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 06:38:57 AM »
Dr. B

Definitely best freshman since HE. This kid has a chance to be very, very, very good. Bo is still the standard, but MH has some games left to narrow the gap. His demeanor and confidence are almost as impressive as silky smooth shot.

I said it last week that big time kudo's to Wojo for landing him and big time props for TC for making the decision he made. While TC did not impress me on the court, very impressed with decision and comments he made about MH.
TC?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 06:49:47 AM »
If he keeps playing the way he has when do you think he will try out for the NBA? Do you think he is as good as these guys are? Howard is under 6 ft tall IIRC, if not I stand corrected.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/02/23/ranking-nba-top-10-under-six-feet-tall

The earliest he could try for the league is after his sophomore year. He isn't old enough to declare as a freshman. I think to declare early, the one thing he really needs to improve is his passing. If you look at all these guys, many of them were averaging an assist rate of 30% or higher before they were drafted. When the NBA looks at guys that small, just shooting it really well isn't enough. It would also help if he became better at creating turnovers and scoring in transition. For the most part, these guys have high-level quickness that helps mask defensive deficiencies. He also has to prove he can sustain his play with a higher usage rate. Thus far, he's done it as his usage rate has risen in the season (he's one of the leaders in conference play) but he'll have to sustain it as he becomes the defensive focus in the years to come.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 06:54:19 AM »
TC?

Traci Carter

And the answer to the question is yes. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 07:13:31 AM »
I was watching the replay of the Creighton/Butler game this morning.    Watson for Creighton is an interesting comparison.  Small PG.   I think Watson is faster, with and without the ball.   He is more experienced and has more moves right now, though I think Markus will develop many more.   Markus is the better shooter.     Here's the difference that I see, I think Watson can stay in front of Markus and I don't think Markus can stay in front of Watson.   But I sure am glad we have Markus. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 07:27:03 AM »
I was watching the replay of the Creighton/Butler game this morning.    Watson for Creighton is an interesting comparison.  Small PG.   I think Watson is faster, with and without the ball.   He is more experienced and has more moves right now, though I think Markus will develop many more.   Markus is the better shooter.     Here's the difference that I see, I think Watson can stay in front of Markus and I don't think Markus can stay in front of Watson.   But I sure am glad we have Markus.

I was thinking about the Watson/Howard comparison while watching that game last night.  Howard has huge upside and will add strength as he gets older.  I sometimes forget he's only 17!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 07:32:20 AM »
I am in no way criticizing Markus.   JB was right about him.   The real deal.    AT THIS MOMENT, I think Watson may be the better PG, simply by virtue of experience and speed.   

Eye

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 07:32:25 AM »
I think comparisons to Diener and Hutchins are fairer.
GO WARRIORS!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »
Cat's got balls, especially for a boy (just for assclown sake), hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 08:03:31 AM »
I was thinking about this while watching him splash three after three last night. The 3 pt % will eventually regress back to a more sustainable mean, but its great that he's enjoyed this early success. He's clearly a pretty natural leader anyway, but this gives him a ton of confidence out of the box and will accelerate his jumping into that leadership role.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 08:04:38 AM »
If you want an illustration of why Markus is such a talent and this team will rise and fall on his performance/growth look at the last 2 minutes of regulation and the last 2 minutes of overtime last night.

In the last 2 minutes they took the ball out of Markus' hands and mostly kept it in Haanif's with the goal of making free throws and getting out of there with a win. They stopped attacking and creating, etc. While it was a reasonably sound strategy it did not work out at all obviously. Then in OT, even with a lead, the ball stayed in Markus' hands where he was able to create and/or score which allowed MU to survive.

I think this team will only win by playing aggressively on offense all of the time with Markus or to a lesser extent, Rowsey running the point
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 08:08:32 AM »
I am in no way criticizing Markus.   JB was right about him.   The real deal.    AT THIS MOMENT, I think Watson may be the better PG, simply by virtue of experience and speed.

Where Watson really excels is in creating for others. 5th in the country and 1st in conference play at assist rate. In addition to quickness, I think he sees the floor better. Now that said, Markus has vastly improved his assist rate in conference play, though much of that may be the small sample size and his 6 assist night last night. But if he could sustain his conference-only numbers through a full season, I think he'd probably have lottery pick numbers, height be damned.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 08:10:52 AM »
I was thinking about this while watching him splash three after three last night. The 3 pt % will eventually regress back to a more sustrightble mean, but its great that he's enjoyed this early success. He's clearly a pretty natural leader anyway, but this gives him a ton of confidence out of the box and will accelerate his jumping into that leadership role.

What says his 3pt% has to fall? Only two games has he ever hit less than 50% of his 3s, one game was 40%(Western Carolina) and he missed his only 3 attempt in the season opener against Vanderbilt.

Statistically there is no indication that he can't sustain at least a 50% 3pt shooting. He certainly could fall off if teams start focusing on 3pt defense against him, but I suspect that would decrease the volume of 3pt shots, not necessarily the make % but we'll see.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 08:19:22 AM »
I don't think Mo Watson comparisons are good ones for Markus. Markus' lethality comes from his three point shot. Watson's comes from his ability to drive and distribute. Really the only thing that connects the two is their height.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 08:20:14 AM »
What says his 3pt% has to fall? Only two games has he ever hit less than 50% of his 3s, one game was 40%(Western Carolina) and he missed his only 3 attempt in the season opener against Vanderbilt.

Statistically there is no indication that he can't sustain at least a 50% 3pt shooting. He certainly could fall off if teams start focusing on 3pt defense against him, but I suspect that would decrease the volume of 3pt shots, not necessarily the make % but we'll see.

I suppose that's true. As of today there are 35 guys in CBB shooting 50% or better from 3, and about three-quarters of those guys have a meaningful number of attempts (avg more than 2 per game or so).  Its certainly a tall order to sustain that for a full year, and then year over year, but it can be done.  I think as teams focus in on him, and given his size, there will be a learning curve to work on getting his shot off, and in the end his % settles out around .450 or so, which is still phenomenal, particularly for a sub 6 foot freshman pg.  Anything over that would be gravy, though the potential is certainly there.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2017, 08:59:42 AM »

I've been thinking this lately. Logically, you'd figure it would fall off in conference play, instead he's increased his 3P% to nearly 70% in the first four games, and those are against pretty good teams defending the three. Looking back, there are always a handful of guys that maintain over 50% for a season. I guess we'll see what happens if teams start gameplanning around him.

I don't think Mo Watson comparisons are good ones for Markus. Markus' lethality comes from his three point shot. Watson's comes from his ability to drive and distribute. Really the only thing that connects the two is their height.

Definitely different players. The reason I referenced both was the mention by tower and the considerations of them making the NBA. I think the biggest thing Howard will need to adjust to is once the defensive focus comes and teams start chasing him off the three-point line, can he exploit that pressure by distributing to others in better position to score and can he drive past people to score inside. I don't think he'll ever have Watson level quickness, but at some point he will likely have to evolve his game. From what I've seen in conference play, I believe he can do that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2017, 09:40:53 AM »

I make the comparison because they are two excellent point guards under 6'.    No comparison is ever going to be perfect.    Watson is older, quicker, and more of a push-the-pace/get-everybody-involved PG.   Markus is younger, shoots better, and right now is more of a shoot-first PG.   I have nothing but respect for both of them.   Markus is going to have to improve as a defender and become more of a creator to go with his lethal shooting to get to the next level.   I think we can and will.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2017, 09:51:24 AM »
It has become abundantly clear that a new mantra can be universally accepted as a scoop truism.

We currently have:

4everwarriors: Crean sucks
real chili 83: ND sucks. Did I mention? ND sucks.

These can be inserted into any thread, no matter the subject, and the world will seem more centered.

To those, we can now add Jay Bee's: Markus 2 NBA / M2N

Crean Sucks.
ND Sucks.
Markus 2 NBA.

Namaste

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2017, 10:11:59 AM »
It is going to be interesting to see who Wojo is able to recruit to be the back up PG for 18-19 and going forward.   Who is going to want to come to MU knowing they are going to sit for two years?   He may have a dilemma similar to landing a PF knowing Henry is going to be on the roster and could be coming back.   

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 10:23:52 AM »
I think the better comparison for Howard is not Watson, but a little guy who can shoot in the NBA.  Could he be Kyle Lowry or Isaiah Thomas (the current one)?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »
It is going to be interesting to see who Wojo is able to recruit to be the back up PG for 18-19 and going forward.   Who is going to want to come to MU knowing they are going to sit for two years?   He may have a dilemma similar to landing a PF knowing Henry is going to be on the roster and could be coming back.   

I'm not too worried about that. With 2017 all but done from a recruiting perspective (Elliott, maybe a grad transfer) and Joey planning to wrap up his recruitment somewhat early (remember him saying he wanted to decide by Spring 2017), that'll let them focus all their efforts on a guard.

In the past three years, Wojo has given significant minutes to Duane Wilson, Haanif Cheatham, Traci Carter, and Markus Howard. Ellenson and Hauser too, but I mention the first four because it shows that if you are a freshman guard who is ready to play and contribute, you will be given a chance to do so. I imagine that would be seen more as a positive to a prospective player like Ramey, Moss, or Dosunmu (or whomever else we'll go after) because they will know that the chance for PT is there if they earn it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2017, 01:38:06 PM »

I think you go after a combo guard who can backup the 1 but can also see minutes at 2. A la Jalen Brunson
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2017, 02:12:07 PM »
I think you go after a combo guard who can backup the 1 but can also see minutes at 2. A la Jalen Brunson

If you go that route, go after about 3 of them, as Duane and HC aren't going to be around forever. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2017, 03:10:02 PM »
If you go that route, go after about 3 of them, as Duane and HC aren't going to be around forever.

For 2018, we have three effective openings, though one is already committed through LOI in Bailey (I know...LOI not binding considering his age, but I expect him to be here). Gotta figure one will go to Joey Hauser if he wants it. That only leaves one spot. I think the hope would be that Elliott could contribute a little there as well, and the 2019 class would probably be where we looked for another PG as well.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2017, 03:14:49 PM »
I'll say this, I err on the side of having too many complete PGs than too few. I do not want to live in a world where it's Derrick Wilson or bust or a broken Diener hand away from disaster.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2017, 04:44:40 PM »
I have a mental picture of the year after Markus leaves having a Derrick Wilson situation or what Indiana has this year post-Yogi.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2017, 04:51:57 PM »
It has become abundantly clear that a new mantra can be universally accepted as a scoop truism.

We currently have:

4everwarriors: Crean sucks
real chili 83: ND sucks. Did I mention? ND sucks.

These can be inserted into any thread, no matter the subject, and the world will seem more centered.

To those, we can now add Jay Bee's: Markus 2 NBA / M2N

Crean Sucks.
ND Sucks.
Markus 2 NBA.

Namaste
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2017, 09:30:14 PM »
For 2018, we have three effective openings, though one is already committed through LOI in Bailey (I know...LOI not binding considering his age, but I expect him to be here). Gotta figure one will go to Joey Hauser if he wants it. That only leaves one spot. I think the hope would be that Elliott could contribute a little there as well, and the 2019 class would probably be where we looked for another PG as well.

On the Bailey LOI:

It is binding.  We've been over this.  The only way Bailey does not need a release is if Marquette fails to provide a scholarship.

On PG recruiting:

No reason you can't play two PG together.  Duke has done it.  Jason Williams and Chris Duhon, or  more recently, Tyus Jones and Quinn Cook.  As long as one can defend SG, it is not a problem.  Look at the PGs MU is recruiting in 2018: Ramey, Moss, Dosunmu...all listed at 6-3.  Howard could easily play off the ball with a big PG and cross-match on defense.  Or let the younger player play off the ball for a year or two before becoming the primary PG.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:31:45 PM by Lazar's Headband »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2017, 09:49:09 PM »

Three Jalen Brunsons...hmm...where do we sign?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2017, 09:50:23 PM »
A quality young PG is going to be excited to play on the same team as Markus. Rowsey and Duane will both be gone, so the opportunity for a young phenom in 18-19 is definitely available.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback