[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz in final minutes vs. USF..  (Read 6224 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Buzz in final minutes vs. USF..
« on: January 27, 2012, 08:10:44 AM »
Haven't seen this posted.   Seems pretty odd. 

MU was up comfortably for the final 15 minutes or so .. everything was going MU's way, and Buzz is having anxiety?  At home, vs. USF?   Of the 25 times a guy would get anxious this year, the 2H of the USF game would (should) rank low on that list.

Oddness.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rapid-reports/post/16989725

Anxiety forces Williams to take seat
Despite a 20-point lead late vs. South Florida, coach Buzz Williams was forced to sit due to anxiety. Assistant coach Tony Benford coached the final minutes. “I was just anxious. This stuff eats me up. I wanna win. It eats me up. I try not to show it. It wasn’t anything other than a big boulder in my stomach feeling like it was about to come up.”

CAGASS24

• All American
Re: Buzz in final minutes vs. USF..
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 08:14:15 AM »
WOW - gets me worried about how long he's gonna last - I guess he'll either burn out or it will drive him to greatness -

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
Doesn't make you feel great about him coaching tournament games. If he can't coach complete USF games how's he gonna stay relaxed in an elite 8 game that's CLOSE. Get that man some Valium.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 08:24:50 AM »
If he's not already - I bet a shrink would have a field day with Buzz - for instance, it seems he feels extremely comfortable explaining reality via numbers - fairly obsessed with them - probably helps him feel more in control for some reason.  He had a quote the other day where he told a reporter that he studies numbers more than the reporter probably sleeps.  Just a big ball of nervous energy that seems to date back a long time with the story he tells about his Buzz nickname.  Just gotta hope the energy is being channeled as well as can be hoped.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 08:26:32 AM »
Given his BEAST and NCAA tournament record I'd say he's on the right track - especially given his young tenure

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 08:29:31 AM »
He needs to ditch those suits and get into something more comfortable like a light blue velour track suit.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 08:30:16 AM »
He has a sleeping disorder, so between no sleep and high energy, I am sure at times his system turns off.  He sweats profusely, I am no doctor but add that all
up, he must get dizzy at times!  Coaches in a two hour period must walk miles.  After watching TC last night, he never stops walking, plus I wonder if his hands get
sore from clapping so much.  He does control the offensive end on running plays, I thing the point guard has no imagination as he looks at TC the whole time.  The
last 5 minutes were classic TC, no points.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 08:33:18 AM »
Doesn't make you feel great about him coaching tournament games. If he can't coach complete USF games how's he gonna stay relaxed in an elite 8 game that's CLOSE. Get that man some Valium.

seriously?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 08:35:46 AM »
Are you guys all unfamiliar with coaches? This is how they operate. It's not a matter of "we're up 20, I can coast from here." They're always teaching, always coaching, always trying to make their team better, always striving for perfection. If they don't do those things, they don't get very far in coaching.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 08:37:16 AM »
If MUscoop began in 1964 imagine what people would have said about Al?

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 08:41:43 AM »
he just couldn't stand the thought of his 100th win possibly slipping through his fingers.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 09:53:11 AM by jaybilaswho? »
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 08:44:43 AM »
he just couldn't stand the thought of his 100th win possibly slip through his fingers.

Good point - Buzz loves numbers and given his humble background maybe the idea of a 100th college basketball win affected him down the stretch.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 08:45:57 AM »
Buzz mentioned it in the presser following the game.  I think few of understand how intense he is.  Once in awhile I suspect it catches up with him and he has had to learn how to control it.  One other symptom is his typical weight gain during the season that he works hard to lose by summer.  

I just don't think he's wired the way many folks are.  Seriously, you've heard his story about how he got his first coaching job.  Nobody I know presses that hard.  The cool thing is that he is a very nice guy.  Most with that level of burning desire are real jerks.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 08:46:31 AM »
I saw this during the game and thought maybe he was having a stomach issue like Cadougan against SJU.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 08:48:13 AM »

Yep.  Al used to go ride his motorcycle to decompress and made the decision to retire from coaching at 50.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »
seriously?

Pretty serious yeah. That said, if you read about Lombardi his players said during a lot of the  games he was a basket case and his assistants did much of the in game coaching.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 09:02:40 AM »
Pretty serious yeah. That said, if you read about Lombardi his players said during a lot of the  games he was a basket case and his assistants did much of the in game coaching.

Why don't you just complete the persona and change your user name to Helen Lovejoy?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 09:13:40 AM »
The commentary about the anxiety comes at 6:30 or so.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E55vwZIWfpA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/E55vwZIWfpA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 09:16:05 AM »

if it didn't get him in the sweet 16 game, but it got him during a USF game up 20, i'm not too worried about an elite 8 game...heck, i hope it happens during an elite 8 game. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 09:21:17 AM »
Someone with a better Way Back machine can help .. wasn't there some episode at UNO where Buzz was on the court on all fours during a time out?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 09:47:23 AM »

100% Can you imagine the meltdown after the 1974 NCAA finals?

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 10:28:09 AM »
I hope Junior told him: "You can throw up after the game - right now we need you to coach."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 10:31:33 AM »
I hope Junior told him: "You can throw up after the game - right now we need you to coach."

I need my Facebook LIKE button!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »

The bitching would have begun with his hiring (a guy who was way sub .500 his last few seasons at tiny Belmont Abbey? really??).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 11:00:59 AM »
How about the fight in the locker room during the 77 tourney?   Or the player who didn't face the flag during the SSB because of Viet Nam?   Buzz is intense.   Hopefully, he finds an outlet so that he doesn't burn out. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 11:07:12 AM »

This is a good point, because Buzz has no experience in close games other than the USF game.  Especially the past two seasons, when TBW was notorious for its high margins of victory and playing a relaxed brand of basketball.  Of all my concerns this season, Buzz tensing up on the sideline in an Elite 8 game is #1 by a landslide.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 11:09:59 AM »
Well played.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 11:44:51 AM »
He may have had a touch of the flu as well and not mentioned it for some reason. To me it is odd it manifested itself in a game like this and not, as others have mentioned, the games where we were fighting for our tourney lives.

As for the UNO comment, I'm not sure, but I thought their fans said that when he was coach, that's how he would handle timeouts and write on the court instead of a board (I know his first year, he drew up plays on the court). Also, they said he would break down in almost every press conference. To be honest, after hearing all his weird quirks from them, I thought he was going to be a lot different than he is. He's a bit eccentric (he's winning), but I don't think he's as bizarre as their fans made him out to be. Although, maybe he learned something in his year as an assistant to Crean.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 11:54:57 AM »
He needs to ditch those suits and get into something more comfortable like a light blue velour track suit.

If he's gonna imitate Huggy, perhaps knocking back a few before and after the game would help.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »
I get anxiety from just watching Frank Martin on the sidelines.  Bo throws out *uckers like they are peanut shells at a Brewers game.  Buzz has stated he is trying to be more controlled on the sideline this season...but I think he needs to get back to his "Walk It Out Fosse" days to physically release some stress.   :D

groove

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 11:59:11 AM »
If he's gonna imitate Huggy, perhaps knocking back a few before and after the game would help.

and then drive

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 12:09:39 PM »
My wife was commenting on how much he was sweating....dehydrated maybe?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 12:10:08 PM »
Can you imagine what would happen if MU won the title?

holy!
SS Marquette

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 12:20:14 PM »
Can you imagine what would happen if MU won the title?

holy!

You mean when.
Bring back FFP!!!

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 01:01:23 PM »

The funny part was when Junior came out.  When he comes out, he stops and gives 5's to the coaches and players on the bench.  Buzz is usually up coaching.  Junior stopped, with a quirky smile, in front of Buzz and holds his hand out until Buzz gives him a 5.  Fortunately, Buzz gave him a 5.  Otherwise we would have had a whole 'nother thread devoted to that subject ...

lurch91

• All American

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 02:32:44 PM »
I thought the most interesting and intriguing part of Buzz's presser was when he said that he wanted to know how far he could take Marquette while staying between the lines.   Again with the idea that his values and MU's values were in sync but seemed to indicate that there were restrictions in things because he wanted to stay on a narrow path.     Encouraging.   

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 02:50:17 PM »
I thought the most interesting and intriguing part of Buzz's presser was when he said that he wanted to know how far he could take Marquette while staying between the lines.   Again with the idea that his values and MU's values were in sync but seemed to indicate that there were restrictions in things because he wanted to stay on a narrow path.     Encouraging.   

I liked that too. Staying between the lines is an essential at Marquette. Just hope the new president and AD don't think that means de-emphasizing. When Buzz says he'll be here as long as MU wants him, a large part of wanting him is a shared committment to exellence.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 03:21:22 PM »
"This is a good point, because Buzz has no experience in close games other than the USF game.  Especially the past two seasons, when TBW was notorious for its high margins of victory and playing a relaxed brand of basketball.  Of all my concerns this season, Buzz tensing up on the sideline in an Elite 8 game is #1 by a landslide"

That's fine, but if Tom Crean, Bo Ryan or any other hated coach on this board couldn't finish a game because of Anxiety 85% of this board would be having a field day. But since its our guy I guess its no big deal.

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 05:39:52 PM »
That's fine, but if Tom Crean, Bo Ryan or any other hated coach on this board couldn't finish a game because of Anxiety 85% of this board would be having a field day. But since its our guy I guess its no big deal.

No, I totally agree.  It's like when Dom James got the flu a few years back and had to come off the bench against Louisville.  I immediately worried whether he would get the flu in an Elite Eight game or in any tournament game that was CLOSE.  If Eric Gordon or Alando Tucker couldn't start a game because of the flu, 85% of this board would be having a field day.  But since its our guy, I guess it's no big deal.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 09:37:21 PM »
No, I totally agree.  It's like when Dom James got the flu a few years back and had to come off the bench against Louisville.  I immediately worried whether he would get the flu in an Elite Eight game or in any tournament game that was CLOSE.  If Eric Gordon or Alando Tucker couldn't start a game because of the flu, 85% of this board would be having a field day.  But since its our guy, I guess it's no big deal.

Can you repeat the part about the things.....That makes no sense.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 09:40:24 PM by esotericmindguy »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 09:52:40 PM »
Are you guys all unfamiliar with coaches? This is how they operate. It's not a matter of "we're up 20, I can coast from here." They're always teaching, always coaching, always trying to make their team better, always striving for perfection. If they don't do those things, they don't get very far in coaching.

No doubt. There isn't a coach alive that isn't fit for a straight jacket. Being nuts is part of the job description.

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 10:26:48 PM »
Can you repeat the part about the things.....That makes no sense.

I essentially copied and pasted your overreactions, only I used James' flu as an example rather than Williams' anxiety attack.  It made no sense for the same reason as your posts: the reasoning is specious.  Just because it happened once doesn't mean that it will ever happen again, especially considering how many actual high pressure games Buzz has already coached in without any problems over the past few seasons.. 

(And, I guess I'm not sure why you brought Crean and Ryan into this thread at all, aside from proving that it is, in fact, possible to mention Wisconsin and Indiana in a thread exclusively about Buzz Williams' energy level and health.)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2012, 10:27:54 PM »

If we ever meet, I will have to kill you for putting that image in my head.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2012, 09:49:15 AM »

I essentially copied and pasted your overreactions, only I used James' flu as an example rather than Williams' anxiety attack.  It made no sense for the same reason as your posts: the reasoning is specious.  Just because it happened once doesn't mean that it will ever happen again, especially considering how many actual high pressure games Buzz has already coached in without any problems over the past few seasons..

Not overreacting at all, one occurrence is all it takes IMO to make it a concern; it's not anywhere near the flu, comparing the two is ridiculous. Anxiety is the leading social disorder in this country, 40 million people suffer from it. Maybe it'll never happen again but to think that anxiety may effect decisions in stressful situations is not overreacting.

(And, I guess I'm not sure why you brought Crean and Ryan into this thread at all, aside from proving that it is, in fact, possible to mention Wisconsin and Indiana in a thread exclusively about Buzz Williams' energy level and health.)

Not sure how I can spell it out to you, just bringing up some names that people despise on this board. Had this happened to them your being naive to think that this wouldn't be a 10 page thread. I mean my goodness, Crean doesn't take extra time to shake Bo's hand and it's 3 pages of crap.