[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can we sign a traditional Jon Diebler type  (Read 7944 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Can we sign a traditional Jon Diebler type
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 06:28:02 PM »
Diebler was a 4 star recruit by most services (5 star for ESPN) that signed with Ohio State over Valpo and NC State.  He's from Sandusky...home of Cedar Point...best roller coasters in the world!!   ;)

RSCI #61

His older brother went to Valpo - which is why they were in the mix.  But yes..no arguing he was primarily considered a 4-star.  Regardless, MU hasn't landed too many players ranked as high as Diebler.  Landing a Dominic James was a significant accomplishment for MU considering he's an Indiana native and Purdue had been a good program.  Not sure what Jerel's ranking was, but as I recall he was a 75-100 guy out of Chicago...thankfully MU is closer to home for Chicago kids than is Champaign, IL.  Hopefully DePaul doesn't get it together..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 06:30:26 PM »
Hopefully, they wouldn't want to be with their HS GF at Iowa State.      Dear Bo, deal with it.   

Where did you hear that smack because clearly IWB is uncomfortable posting it.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
crap - I thought Chico's was going to point out that maybe UW-Madison is not a national championship contending team which he has pointed out about 12 times this past week...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2011, 07:34:33 PM »
crap - I thought Chico's was going to point out that maybe UW-Madison is not a national championship contending team which he has pointed out about 12 times this past week...

Oh, I'd say they are but they could also get bounced early.  Are you saying that every team that loses to Ohio State this year is not a national championship contender?  Weird, because I would take the other view and say that any team capable of beating Ohio State this year is likely pretty good.  I think Wisconsin beat Ohio State.

I need to verify with jhioutrtoe7, however.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2011, 07:36:11 PM »
I don't like it but UW does have a chance this year. Possibly a better chance than they ever have under Bo.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 08:23:22 PM »
Why Gary? Are the Badgers playin' their Tourney games in Madison?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 08:38:53 PM »
If you put a Jared Sullinger-type post-player on Marquette, MU's shooters would all of a sudden seem much more "traditional" considering the increased open looks they'd get.

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 09:04:54 PM »
Live in Columbus...and trust me there are a ton of Buckeye fans that would have dumped Diebler for a Jimmy Buttler type until about half-way through this year.  He has run hot and cold his whole time here in C-bus and his D for the most part has been horrible. 
That being said he has shot lights out this week...7-8 against Penn State earlier this week...so he is currently in the zone.
The point is that the when a player playing for another team is hot of course we would love to have that guy playing for MU...but fact is he has not always been the stud you saw today.

BTW:  I think he is the Ohio High School all time scoring leader...and committed to the bucks his sophomore year.  I also think he is from Upper Sandusky which oddly is Lower than Sandusky...or roller coaster world.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 09:13:34 PM »
Buzz emphasizes defense not offense.  That's a mistake.  To win you must outscore the other team!  We need shooters.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 06:39:31 AM »
We have a (theoretically) Diebler type at the end of the bench.    If he develops his defense, toughness,  and his ballhandling enough, we won't be having this conversation anymore.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2011, 04:47:05 PM »
Before we write off any of our freshman as not being shooters we should remember Diebler shot 28.9% from 3 his freshman year averaging 21.1mpg and 6 ppg.

Chicos, how many kids in the nation do you think are capable of shooting 51% from 3 for a season at the quantity Diebler shoots? These kids aren't easy to come by.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 04:58:15 PM »
Since its that easy, maybe we should sign a Jared Sullinger type too, and maybe a Nolan Smith type while we're at it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2011, 05:13:40 PM »
I enjoyed today very much, especially since most of my family is from Ohio (both my parents were from Cleveland and we have OSU alums up and down the family roster).  Believe me, I enjoyed today's ass

Ohio, huh?  I was guessing somewhere in the deep south.

Diebler also benefits from being on a great team... Hoffarber, although a couple of inches shorter, is a comparable shooter... but it's a lot tougher to shoot when there is no help.  Your team even played the box-and-one for awhile against the Gophers. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2011, 07:37:22 PM »
I sure as hell hope he would, but he's not a switchable.  In all seriousness, I don't know.  To me the two things we are missing are solid PGs and consistent outside shooting.  We have some decent inside guys that we didn't have in the past, but I've always been a believer in PG play is where it begins and ends in college basketball to be competitive.  To win the whole thing, of course you need bigs as well.  However, if you can get great PG play and have a consistent bomber or two, you can do some serious damage because the defense is so compromised.

I would hope he would go after Novak.

Of course he would have gone after Novak, and Buzz himself has stated how he needs a solid pg in every class.  TC landed Diener and Novak and deserves credit for that, but he was extremely lucky to see two NBA caliber players in this state.  They had high basketball IQ's coming from basketball families, and there is no doubt in my mind that Buzz would have gone after both of them as many high level D1 schools did.  They don't grow on trees.

schuess56

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2011, 08:18:12 PM »
Little Mo Acker stretched the defenses last year with his consistent 3 point shooting.  I will always be grateful to him for that.   Opened things up for the other guys, and he did it from the point guard position.   Dearly missed.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2011, 08:33:04 PM »

Chicos, how many kids in the nation do you think are capable of shooting 51% from 3 for a season at the quantity Diebler shoots? These kids aren't easy to come by.

Not that many at 51%....I'd take someone that can shoot 45% from 3....hell, how about 43%?  100 players (at least) are shooting 43% or better from 3 point land right now...the list stops at 100 players so I don't know how much further it goes.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/player/_/stat/3-points/sort/threePointFieldGoalPct/count/81

I'm actually encouraged by JJ, think he might be someone that can do it.  I hope so.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2011, 08:33:55 PM »
Little Mo Acker stretched the defenses last year with his consistent 3 point shooting.  I will always be grateful to him for that.   Opened things up for the other guys, and he did it from the point guard position.   Dearly missed.

Weird, because a bunch of people here said he wasn't a DI player and certainly not a Big East player.  Weird.

Great shooters don't grow on trees, but they are much more readily available than great big men.  Not even close.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2011, 09:30:01 PM »
Not that many at 51%....I'd take someone that can shoot 45% from 3....hell, how about 43%?  100 players (at least) are shooting 43% or better from 3 point land right now...the list stops at 100 players so I don't know how much further it goes.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/player/_/stat/3-points/sort/threePointFieldGoalPct/count/81

I'm actually encouraged by JJ, think he might be someone that can do it.  I hope so.

In Diebler's first 3 seasons at tOSU, he never shot above 42% from 3. In fact, coming into this season, he was a 38.6% 3-point shooter for his college career.  To put things in perspective, DJO (a non-traditional player) is a 41.5% 3-point shooter at this point in his D1 career.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2011, 09:36:21 PM »
There was once an NBA GM who wanted to build his team around a world-class shooter who couldn't do anything else.  That GM's name, Larry Harris.  The centerpiece of his team, Michael Redd.  Larry loved to watch Michael shoot.  Michael was such a good shooter that he made it on the USA national team on his shooting alone.  He ushered in a golden age of hilarity for the Milwaukee Bucks that included such great names as Terry Stott, Yi Jianlian, Larry Kristkowiak, and Dan Gadzuric.  Larry Harris, a GM ahead of his time.  

Now, howevermany years later, this thread should more properly be on a Milwaukee Bucks fan site - Can we draft a traditional Jon Diebler/Michael Redd-type.  

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2011, 08:45:20 AM »
I believe Merrit's Stache challenged you to go a week without bringing up UW earlier today?  You couldn't even make it 6 hours?1  Wow.  Your Team Gasser/UW crush is out of control.

How do you reconcile UW getting blown out by 30 points with such a smart, fundamentally sound squad that features Gasser/

And on the topic of Gasser - so Bo lucked out that Gasser fell in his lap - didn't even offer the kid a scholarship until another of his recruits got in trouble and got kicked out UW.  He offered Brust before Gasser.  Enough said.

It's laughable how predictable some on this board are. Chico's could say that the sky is blue and the same posters would just jump on it like wolves and try to prove he isn't a fan because he didn't say it was baby blue like our uniforms.

feedback