[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MSOE v. MU exhibition  (Read 12021 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
MSOE v. MU exhibition
« on: November 06, 2009, 10:32:26 AM »
I was looking around for a little game preview of the MU v MSOE game and I came across this on the MSOE athletics website.  The article is from July of this year, but it'll give you a little info on MSOE before the matchup on Saturday:

MSOE Raider News
Men's Basketball to face Marquette in exhibition game

Milwaukee, Wis. - The MSOE Raiders men's basketball team continue to be an attractive preseason draw for NCAA Division I opponents as they face national powerhouse and cross-town rival Marquette University in an exhibition game November 7th at the Bradley Center with the tip off time yet to be announced [note from Skatastrophy:  the game is at 1PM CST].

Head Coach Brian Miller returns for his sixth season at the helm for MSOE and looks to continue his unprecedented success. MSOE has recorded the four best records in school history the past four seasons going 68-38 over that span a remarkable 64% winning percentage.

The MSOE men's basketball team graduated two starters, but returns letter winners, which have seen plenty of action during the 2008-2009 campaign. Starters Austin Meier (Oshkosh, Wis. /Oshkosh West) and Jeremy Off (Hartford, Wis./ Slinger) and Bennett Deacon (Burlington, Wis./Catholic Central) look to continue their success on the court and lead the team into the 2009-2010 season.

Meier, a 6-4 junior forward and a first team All NAC selection in 2008-2009, averaged 13.8 points and 7.8 rebounds per game in conference contests. He is also ranked ninth in the nation with 84 steals and a 3.2 steals per game average. Meier was the 2007-2008 NAC Freshman of the Year and an honorable mention selection.

Off, a 6-4 junior center averaged 14.7 points and 7.7 rebounds per game against NAC competition. Off was second in the nation with a 67.3 field goal percentage. Off was a second team All NAC honoree. Deacon, a 6' point guard, averaged 9.7 points per game while shooting 46% from the field and 43% from behind the three-point line.

Despite being located just over a mile apart, this is the first time, the two teams meet. The exhibition game between the two programs is possible due to recent NCAA legislation allowing Division III schools the opportunity to play against Division I opponents. Last Year, MSOE faced UWM in an exhibition match, keeping the score under five points with10 minutes to play before the Panthers outdistanced the Raiders 68-43 in the preseason tune up.

MSOE's game against UWM was familiar ground for the Raiders as they played the 2003-04 season in the US Cellular Arena, however, this will be the Raider's first contest in the Bradley Center. Marquette, a member of the highly touted Big East Conference finished the 2008-09 campaign with a 25-10 overall record and a NCAA Division I tournament. MSOE finished the season with an 18-8 record a second place finish in the Northern Athletic Conference and the best overall record of any conference team. MSOE's only appearance in the NCAA Division III Basketball tournament was in 2003 when they won the Lake Michigan Conference Tournament.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 10:35:45 AM by Skatastrophy »

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
Re: MSOE v. MU exhibition
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:41:04 AM »
is this game streaming online?
I am sitting home and watching it instead of going to the uw/byu game on saturday in laramie.
cowboys are gonna get killed anyways.....

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 11:02:02 AM »
is this game streaming online?
I am sitting home and watching it instead of going to the uw/byu game on saturday in laramie.
cowboys are gonna get killed anyways.....

Yep, according to the article on gomarquette.com the game will be streamed live thanks to MUTV.

Here's a link to the video stream so that it's handy for game-time.  The player uses Microsoft Silverlight, so if you're planning on streaming make sure that you get that installed before the game starts so that you don't miss any of the action.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 11:03:54 AM by Skatastrophy »

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 11:10:27 AM »
Off, a 6-4 junior center
Wow. My nephew's 8th grade team has a 6-4 center.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 11:15:15 AM »
Wasn't Murf a 6'4 center?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 11:17:18 AM »
most likely,,,,,and i think most of the guys on this blog could start for msoe.
lol

MU

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
I didn't realize Marquette was a crosstown "rival" of MSOE

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 12:55:16 PM »
I didn't realize Marquette was a crosstown "rival" of MSOE

MSOE has beat MU as many times as UWM has!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 01:03:59 PM »
Making fun of the MSOE roster sounds like so much fun, but I am fairly certain that most people on this Board could be the second leading scorer on a Division 1 state championship team like Andy Meier was at Oshkosh West.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 01:32:09 PM »
Making fun of the MSOE roster sounds like so much fun, but I am fairly certain that most people on this Board could be the second leading scorer on a Division 1 state championship team like Andy Meier was at Oshkosh West.

Random Andy Polka reference!  The one that got away...
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 01:56:47 PM »
If I was a writer I would love the name Off.

Off goes off against MU.
Off has off game agaisnt MU.
Off was off his game today.
etc.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 03:47:17 PM »

So you were the second leading scorer on a State Champion?  Probably NOT.

I am speaking only for myself, but I bet that Andy Maier is a better player than the vast majority of posters on this board.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 06:01:26 PM »
Those Oshkosh West teams were solid, and Polka torched the future Badger something fierce.  MSOE is a division 3 team.  That means they recruit good, not great, high school players.  When you play against D3 guys in pick up games (after they are done with college), they usually are the best on the court because of their size, skill, and understanding of the game.  I've played with guys from UWSP, Whitewater, etc., and they all can shoot the lights out. 
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 06:52:32 PM »
Yep, according to the article on gomarquette.com the game will be streamed live thanks to MUTV.

Here's a link to the video stream so that it's handy for game-time.  The player uses Microsoft Silverlight, so if you're planning on streaming make sure that you get that installed before the game starts so that you don't miss any of the action.

Thanks,
I clicked on live events -  it looks like they are streaming a lot of our non-conference games this year.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 10:35:32 PM »
Just because they're D3 and this game doesn't count for our record, we don't want to have a result like Syracuse did last week or like UWM almost had against Cardinal Stritch (2 point victory).  Let's torch the Raiders with everyone getting solid minutes!!

Plus I want to make sure my alma mater wipes the floor with my brother's current school.  ;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 11:59:15 AM »
So you were the second leading scorer on a State Champion?  Probably NOT.

I am speaking only for myself, but I bet that Andy Maier is a better player than the vast majority of posters on this board.

I had to read this about a dozen times to figure out what your point was, but then I realize that I said "could" when I meant "couldn't."  D3 players are still very good basketball players.

Sorry about that.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 12:44:34 PM »
stream is workin... thanks!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 12:54:02 PM »
unfortunately, the commentators don't seem to know much about the team... oh well, they are students... doing more important things.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 01:00:46 PM »
I am just getting a window that shows loading...anyone else get past this problem?
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 01:02:01 PM »
I am just getting a window that shows loading...anyone else get past this problem?

Yeah, I hit refresh on my browser and that did the trick.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 01:04:08 PM »
Crap, still doesn't work.  Not sure what else I can do here.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 01:04:48 PM »
I reloaded.

interesting starters.

Cooby, Acker, Butler, Fulce, Hayward.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 01:05:27 PM »
Buzz did say not to read anything into the starting lineup when asked the other day.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 01:11:40 PM »
My stream keeps stopping and starting reading "loading." Why isn't ESPN Milwaukee.com carrying the game? All I get on their stream is some college football show. (yawn)
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 01:20:55 PM »
because its an exhibition game?

if i was in MKE I'd be at the game.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 01:22:52 PM »
My stream keeps stopping and starting reading "loading." Why isn't ESPN Milwaukee.com carrying the game? All I get on their stream is some college football show. (yawn)

Do you have Silverlight installed?  It's working fine for me...I actually had the ESPN radio stream going until I realized Homer and Mac weren't going to be on, and that the stream turned out to be pretty good quality.  Anyways, it's 28-7.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 01:24:35 PM »
Yeah! Says click here for the MU game and get some football game. Go figure!

Tried logging in 3 times no luck with the streaming video. Those of you have the game please give us updates.

goldeneagles09

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 01:29:02 PM »
I have silverlight installed and tried both firefox and IE. I got the stream for 5 seconds but then it stopped working. I guess all you can do is keep on hitting refresh. If you want to see game stats click "Event Guide" and you can see the score, latest play, game leaders, and team stats. Currently 33-11 MU with 9:07 left in the half.

VwArrior1

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 01:30:19 PM »
Can I get some updated stats for the players?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2009, 01:30:51 PM »
my analysis so far.

Mbao looks lost... of course to be expected though.

Maymon has good post moves and a GREAT motor.

Butler looks good... and surprisingly Cooby looks like he can run the 1 if we need him too.

Hayward got off to a bit of a slow start... his shot looks good though.

Otule got 4 points... 2 on a putback and 2 on a post move... he now has 8

Buycks can create...

Fulce is very instinctual, and VERY athletic... he might be the surprise of the team this year.

DJO is out of the game with his foot.

MSOE is BAD.  they are turning the ball over a LOT.

our defense is tough on the ball, but we are getting beat on back doors and MSOE is just missing bunny shots.

just some quick thoughts.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 01:41:43 PM by Hards_Alumni »

• All American
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 01:32:34 PM »
ESPN Milwaukee.com is now running an audio stream of the game.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2009, 01:38:14 PM »

Cubi running the point aginst a dIII team is one thing against a D1 team or a BE team is an entirely different matter

my analysis so far.

Mbao looks lost... of course to be expected though.

Maymon has good post moves and a GREAT motor.

Butler looks good... and surprisingly Cooby looks like he can run the 1 if we need him too.

Hayward got off to a bit of a slow start... his shot looks good though.

Otule got 4 points... 2 on a putback and 2 on a post move.

Buycks can create...

Fulce is very instinctual, and VERY athletic... he might be the surprise of the team this year.

MSOE is BAD.  they are turning the ball over a LOT.

our defense is tough on the ball, but we are getting beat on back doors and MSOE is just missing bunny shots.

just some quick thoughts.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2009, 01:39:44 PM »
Cubi running the point aginst a dIII team is one thing against a D1 team or a BE team is an entirely different matter

no kidding?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 01:42:12 PM »
ESPN Milwaukee.com is now running an audio stream of the game.

I tried and it won't let me connect.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2009, 01:45:56 PM »
DJO hurt.    I hope it isn't too bad.    Get EWill in there.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2009, 01:54:10 PM »
DJO hurt.    I hope it isn't too bad.    Get EWill in there.

Yeah, where is EWill?  I really wanted to see how he played.  I don't think he was in the game at all during the first half.  Maymon seems to have trouble finishing around the hoop. He's got good moves but seems to miss the bunnies when there is a little contact. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2009, 01:55:38 PM »
Coobey can run the point.  Concerned about DJO.  Where is Erik Williams?  Otherwise, we look good.  Good to get the experience under their belt.  We have talent.  Need the experience now.  

• All American
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2009, 01:59:40 PM »
I tried and it won't let me connect.
Be persistent. For me, it was kind of like the Batcave. I'm not sure how I got there and I probably wouldnt be able to retrace my steps to show others how to get there.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2009, 02:07:19 PM »
I'm hoping Cooby has finally recovered his shot after having both shoulders operated on before last year.  He started shooting well toward the end of last season (or at least better).  His three looked really smooth.
4 of 5 early in the 2nd.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:10:04 PM by T-Bone »
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2009, 02:31:15 PM »
Eric Williams shorts look longer than Mbao's.

Otule has 13 points, Maymon is dinged up.

Hayward had 4 fouls 4 minutes into the second half... but he has 24 points, including an oop from cooby(?)

Ewill is finally getting in the game... looks really slow on defense... understand why he didn't get in until now.... SO RAW.  doesn't make good decisions.

DJO has checked back in.... ugh get him out.

Frozena checked in too.

and MU wins by 59 points... 106-47
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:54:13 PM by Hards_Alumni »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2009, 03:00:39 PM »
Otule with 14pts, 5 OR , and only 2 PF

Not bad.  But he and Maymon need to work on their FT shooting.
Otule: 2-5
Maymon: 3-6

Nobody else missed more than 1 FT.  From the numbers, looks like a decent warm-up game where everybody got time on the floor.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2009, 03:03:25 PM »

Ewill is finally getting in the game... looks really slow on defense... understand why he didn't get in until now.... SO RAW.  doesn't make good decisions.

agree that Ewill started out looking lost on defense.  However he showed he has a nice jumper and he came out of nowhere for the best block of the game.  If he settles down and gets it together on D, he will be good.  

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2009, 06:21:49 PM »
Otule with 14pts, 5 OR , and only 2 PF

Not bad.  But he and Maymon need to work on their FT shooting.
Otule: 2-5
Maymon: 3-6

Nobody else missed more than 1 FT.  From the numbers, looks like a decent warm-up game where everybody got time on the floor.

Dude, we don't work on free throws. Either you got it or you don't.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2009, 01:55:57 AM »
Just because they're D3 and this game doesn't count for our record, we don't want to have a result like Syracuse did last week or like UWM almost had against Cardinal Stritch (2 point victory).  Let's torch the Raiders with everyone getting solid minutes!!

Plus I want to make sure my alma mater wipes the floor with my brother's current school.  ;D

Just what the doctor ordered! 

i sit in the rafters relative to most of y'all i'd imagine, and thus am flanked by many Fans Of the Other Team (FOOT).  At the game's end, the FOOT started chanting "We Are Smarter" to the tune of the MU original--anyone else hear it?

Let them have their (Q)GPAs, if it makes them feel better.  I hope my three MSOE acquaintances don't mind some ribbing the next time i see 'em, though!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2009, 08:30:02 AM »
Just what the doctor ordered! 

i sit in the rafters relative to most of y'all i'd imagine, and thus am flanked by many Fans Of the Other Team (FOOT).  At the game's end, the FOOT started chanting "We Are Smarter" to the tune of the MU original--anyone else hear it?

Let them have their (Q)GPAs, if it makes them feel better.  I hope my three MSOE acquaintances don't mind some ribbing the next time i see 'em, though!

MSOE is smarter?  really?  They really think that?

wow.

feedback