[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tanned Tommy on the ropes?  (Read 92692 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Tanned Tommy on the ropes?
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2015, 10:44:53 PM »
Here is the bigger issue ... The Olidipo, Zeller, Vonleh era was the beginning of Crean turning iU into another destination of "one-and-dones."  This was something he could not do at MU and concluded would never happen.  Then it happened at IU and he fell on one his face.

He had his chance at elite status and blew it. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2015, 10:52:58 PM »
Here is the bigger issue ... The Olidipo, Zeller, Vonleh era was the beginning of Crean turning iU into another destination of "one-and-dones."  This was something he could not do at MU and concluded would never happen.  Then it happened at IU and he fell on one his face.

He had his chance at elite status and blew it. 

Wait, there you go again.  Oladipo was part of turning IU into a destination of one and dones?  A 3 star player that Crean took a bit of a chance on and Oladipo credits for pushing him so hard to develop into a NBA player....by the way he was a 3 year player.  Zeller was a 2 year player.  How exactly were these muti-year players supposed to turn IU into a destination of one and dones?  In fact, that's not what IU wants to be.  In my view, he shouldn't have gone after Vonleh.  If you aren't UK, trying to win at the one and done approach is going to bite most coaches in the ass, but I wouldn't equate Zeller and Oladipo into one and done status since neither was a one and done.

He's been declared dead on this board for 5 of the last 7 years.  One day one of you is going to be right. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2015, 10:57:33 PM »
IU faithful probably thrilled to see 2 Indiana teams playing longer than they are right now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2015, 10:58:29 PM »
IU faithful probably thrilled to see 2 Indiana teams playing longer than they are right now.

Probably like the MU faithful last year with UW-milwaukee and Wisconsin, and UWGB....aina?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2015, 11:05:37 PM »
Crean left 7 years ago this month.  The passion to just despise the guy, hope his career goes in the toilet, revise history of his coaching accomplishments at two high major schools, etc, that flame burns that bad for some still?  Holy sh*t, get over it already.  And I say this freely admitting I don't disagree a bit he's done many things to make it easy to dislike him, but put it in perspective in the grand scheme of life for crying out loud.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2015, 11:08:47 PM »
Probably like the MU faithful last year with UW-milwaukee and Wisconsin, and UWGB....right?

UWM and UWGB were both in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament last year?  News to me.

"I'm an MU fan first."  Good story.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2015, 11:16:50 PM »
Crean left 7 years ago this month.  The passion to just despise the guy, hope his career goes in the toilet, revise history of his coaching accomplishments at two high major schools, etc, that flame burns that bad for some still?  Holy sh*t, get over it already.  And I say this freely admitting I don't disagree a bit he's done many things to make it easy to dislike him, but put it in perspective in the grand scheme of life for crying out loud.

Been saying that for 7 years, and I actually worked directly for the guy.  I had to see it first hand and at times it wasn't pleasant and times he was fine, but my God people are f'd up here.  So much so they can't even make rational posts as they are so seeded in vitriol, anger, or whatever....facts seem to not apply at all.  Bizarre.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2015, 11:19:05 PM »
UWM and UWGB were both in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament last year?  News to me.

"I'm an MU fan first."  Good story.

UWGB was in the NIT, we were in nothing.  UW-milwaukee made the NCAA tournament and lost to Villanova 73-53.

MU home, the other three schools in the post season...two in the NCAA and UWGB in the NIT.

First round, second round, regardless MU faithful in the same spot....not going as far as the other teams in the state.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2015, 11:29:38 PM »
UWGB was in the NIT, we were in nothing.  UW-milwaukee made the NCAA tournament and lost to Villanova 73-53.

MU home, the other three schools in the post season...two in the NCAA and UWGB in the NIT.

First round, second round, regardless MU faithful in the same spot....not going as far as the other teams in the state.

NIT?  Wow!  Awesome!  And the other team won their horrible conference tournament.  Congrats!

Haha.  You really reach when it comes to defending your homeboy.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2015, 11:31:18 PM »
NIT?  Wow!  Awesome!  And the other team won their horrible conference tournament.  Congrats!

Haha.  You really reach when it comes to defending your homeboy.

Not defending anyone, he most certainly isn't my homeboy....I've labeled him what he is for many years here.  Use search if you must.

NIT > no tournament

Have a good evening.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2015, 11:37:34 PM »
Been saying that for 7 years, and I actually worked directly for the guy.  I had to see it first hand and at times it wasn't pleasant and times he was fine, but my God people are f'd up here.  So much so they can't even make rational posts as they are so seeded in vitriol, anger, or whatever....facts seem to not apply at all.  Bizarre.
This is Scoop,  a bizarre board.  I try to ignore the fools.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2015, 11:46:37 PM »
Not defending anyone, he most certainly isn't my homeboy....I've labeled him what he is for many years here.  Use search if you must.

NIT > no tournament

Have a good evening.

Haha. You're comparing a team winning its horrible conference's autobid and getting smoked out of the first round and another team's winning its horrible conference's autobid...to the NI freaking T...to 2 teams playing to go on to the S16. Not to mention I don't recall any coach we've ever hired referring to the reason he came to MU because "it's MU, it's MU." And no NCAA = failed season, NIT or not. Just like 3 NCAA Tourney appearances, S16 your best season in 7 years at IU is a failure.

Keep reaching to defend your homeboy.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2015, 12:17:30 AM »
Picture Marquette practicing in the old gym playing in Conference USA needing to win the conference tournament most of the time to make the NCAA's.

That's where we are without Crean.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2015, 12:20:17 AM »
Picture Marquette practicing in the old gym playing in Conference USA needing to win the conference tournament most of the time to make the NCAA's.

Says who? No way anybody can know that for sure. Maybe we would've had the next Coach K on our hands. A guy who stays for life and wins multiple national titles. Pretending nobody could've possibly done as well or better at MU than Crean did is as bad or worse than pretending Crean did nothing for MU.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2015, 12:22:02 AM »

\

That's a huge assumption...

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 22, 2015, 12:23:11 AM »
\

Yup.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #166 on: March 22, 2015, 12:32:04 AM »
\

It's assumption based on what Crean did, there are two other assumptions to make then, one worse and one better.

I think Crean beat out Quin Synder, Tom Davis and Barry Collier.

Cords made the best decision based on those choices. I don't see a better one in that group (B10 retread, Nebraska flame out and a very similar Quin Synder).

🏀

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 22, 2015, 12:33:16 AM »
Says who? No way anybody can know that for sure. Maybe we would've had the next Coach K on our hands. A guy who stays for life and wins multiple national titles. Pretending nobody could've possibly done as well or better at MU than Crean did is as bad or worse than pretending Crean did nothing for MU.

See list above and let us know what would have worked out better.

Knock it off, guy did a lot for Marquette, but left in a crapty way.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2015, 12:39:15 AM »
Ok you guys are saying another guy could have done it but Crean DID DO IT!

I think Crean is an assbag too, but I'm not going to discredit what he did.

I'm a Bulls fan and I know Michael Jordan is king of the assbags but is anyone going to discount what he accomplished?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 12:41:14 AM by TallTitan34 »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #169 on: March 22, 2015, 07:22:11 AM »
Do a search on Twitter for "Tom Crean" and you'll see MU Scoop is the least of his problems.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 22, 2015, 07:55:05 AM »
Do a search on Twitter for "Tom Crean" and you'll see MU Scoop is the least of his problems.

No doubt, Indiana is heavy mouth breathers.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #171 on: March 22, 2015, 07:59:50 AM »
What happens in two years IF Wojo flames out/succeeds, gets hired at Duke AND Crean's buy-out lessens and he continues with middling success? Does MU welcome him back?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #172 on: March 22, 2015, 08:06:48 AM »
What happens in two years IF Wojo flames out/succeeds, gets hired at Duke AND Crean's buy-out lessens and he continues with middling success? Does MU welcome him back?

New AD...new President...I don't think so.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #173 on: March 22, 2015, 08:13:35 AM »

I can't see any way it happens, but if it did, it would totally be worth it just for the responses on this board.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2015, 08:22:28 AM »

New AD...new President...I don't think so.

I would assume that there would be a lot of people not renewing season tickets.  My problem with Crean was when he left. The '08 team has the lowest combined efficiency ratings of an MU team since Pomeroy started tracking.  They were screwed by the seeding process (no way that ND should have been higher than us, based purely on 3 head to head games) and lost a heart breaker in OT on a shot, I still have no idea how it went in.  Decent recruiting class coming in, led by Ty Taylor, who would have helped a lot over the next 4 years.  And he left for Indiana, a decent team with all kinds of problems coming.  We were in a better conference, with better facilities.  I grew up in Indiana and I really only believe it's a blue blood in Indiana (not nationally) anymore.  I don't think that 17 and 18 year old players think it's cool that Indiana won a national championship 10 years before they were born.  I appreciate what he did for Marquette, but it still doesn't make sense to me.