collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Gonzaga virtual No. 1  (Read 11040 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Gonzaga virtual No. 1
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2013, 06:19:09 AM »
To those who suggest the Zags have played an undeserving schedule,  Parrish writes:

Gonzaga played non-league games with Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Butler, Illinois, Baylor, West Virginia and Davidson, and the Zags finished the non-league portion of their schedule with a 13-2 record. They went 5-0 against the Big 12 -- and not just the bottom of the Big 12. That 5-0 mark came against the schools currently first (Kansas State), third (Oklahoma State), fourth (Oklahoma), sixth (Baylor) and seventh (West Virginia) in the Big 12 standings, and four of the wins were by at least 15 points. Also worth noting: Gonzaga is 3-0 against top-25 RPI schools, 5-2 against top-50 RPI schools and 11-2 against top-100 RPI schools with zero losses outside of the top 50.

The worst loss? That was a loss to an Illinois team that made 11 3-pointers and got 35 points from Brandon Paul, and it's not like Illinois stinks. The Illini have also beaten Indiana, Ohio State, Butler and Minnesota. The other loss? That was a loss to Butler at Hinkle on a fluky steal and runner at the buzzer. That was just ... unfortunate.

Beyond that, the Zags are perfect.

That was helpful.

Also, by your logic, if it were not for UWGB, Gtown, and Nova, we would be vying for 1st or 2nd too?  ;)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2013, 10:01:33 AM »
That was helpful.

Also, by your logic, if it were not for UWGB, Gtown, and Nova, we would be vying for 1st or 2nd too?  ;)

Parrish is referring to degrees from perfection so in MU's case one would have to add to your list Florida, Louisville, Cincy, and Butler.

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2013, 10:13:08 AM »
That is correct.

Since Indiana and Gonzaga aren't #1 on your ballot (they're 1 and 2 on mine) what is your top 5?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2013, 10:31:55 AM »
Not that you asked, but here's mine:

1) Duke
2) Indiana
3) Louisville
4) Florida
5) Kansas

6) Gonzaga
7) Georgetown
8) Michigan
9) Miami
10) Michigan State

Honestly, I would say the blob starts after the top 5. I have a difficult time saying that 6-10 above are appreciably better than the likes of Marquette, Ohio State, Arizona, Syracuse, etc.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2013, 02:41:07 PM »
Since Indiana and Gonzaga aren't #1 on your ballot (they're 1 and 2 on mine) what is your top 5?

Here are what I consider to be the 5 best teams, forget recent play, I'm talking overall best teams.

Duke (especially with Kelly back)
Miami
Indiana
Louisville
Florida

Next tier
Gonzaga
Michigan State
Georgetown
Kansas

Next tier
Marquette (brilliant coaching job by Buzz)
New Mexico
Michigan
Arizona
Saint Louis
Wisconsin

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2013, 07:13:26 PM »
To those who suggest the Zags have played an undeserving schedule,  Parrish writes:

Gonzaga played non-league games with Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Butler, Illinois, Baylor, West Virginia and Davidson, and the Zags finished the non-league portion of their schedule with a 13-2 record. They went 5-0 against the Big 12 -- and not just the bottom of the Big 12. That 5-0 mark came against the schools currently first (Kansas State), third (Oklahoma State), fourth (Oklahoma), sixth (Baylor) and seventh (West Virginia) in the Big 12 standings, and four of the wins were by at least 15 points. Also worth noting: Gonzaga is 3-0 against top-25 RPI schools, 5-2 against top-50 RPI schools and 11-2 against top-100 RPI schools with zero losses outside of the top 50.

The worst loss? That was a loss to an Illinois team that made 11 3-pointers and got 35 points from Brandon Paul, and it's not like Illinois stinks. The Illini have also beaten Indiana, Ohio State, Butler and Minnesota. The other loss? That was a loss to Butler at Hinkle on a fluky steal and runner at the buzzer. That was just ... unfortunate.

Beyond that, the Zags are perfect.

As Jay Bilas points out today....

"Losses last week by Indiana and Duke have cleared the path for Gonzaga to take over the top spot in the AP poll, which is a sorry excuse for a method of rating teams."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2013, 08:44:09 PM »
As Jay Bilas points out today....

"Losses last week by Indiana and Duke have cleared the path for Gonzaga to take over the top spot in the AP poll, which is a sorry excuse for a method of rating teams."

That's the way it's been since reporters pounded out stories on battered Royals.

Death on call

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2013, 08:45:49 PM »
That's the way it's been since reporters pounded out stories on battered Royals.

Doesn't mean it isn't stupid.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »
Here are what I consider to be the 5 best teams, forget recent play, I'm talking overall best teams.

Duke (especially with Kelly back)
Miami
Indiana
Louisville
Florida

Next tier
Gonzaga
Michigan State
Georgetown
Kansas

Next tier
Marquette (brilliant coaching job by Buzz)
New Mexico
Michigan
Arizona
Saint Louis
Wisconsin

While I'll agree with you that Louisville and Florida (if healthy) have more talent than Gonzaga, I don't think they deserve to be ranked higher today.

feedback