[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NC State  (Read 11270 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: NC State
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2024, 02:53:06 PM »
so, you sayin’ Davante’s work w/Oso no good, hey?

Viper,

Both guys have the ability  to lean on you and impact your balance.  They're land manatees with surprising quicks to a degree.  The counter is for Oso to run Burns to death and take him to school off the dribble. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 07:35:33 PM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2024, 02:55:27 PM »
We should read 0.0 press clippings about this game.  It's irrelevant if we're favored.
Take care of fking business with eagle-eye focus. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2024, 02:55:39 PM »
A second option is to secure defensive rebounds and push the ball at every opportunity.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2024, 03:00:22 PM »
MU is a Whole is Greater Than The Sum of Parts team. TyKo is the director of The Orchestra. As long as we stick to our formula of moving the ball and not a lot of extra dribbling, we should do well.

Was super impressed with Jop's quick hands and Chase Ross and his pogo stick blocks on defense against The Buffs. That was a nice addition to our regular swarming ball hawking defense. So hopefully more of that.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 03:54:03 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2024, 03:01:36 PM »
MU is a Whole is Greater Than The Sum of Parts team. TyKo is the director of The Orchestra. As long as we stick to our formula of moving the ball and not a lot of extra dribbling, we should do well.

Was super impressed with Jop's quick hands and Chase " Cy " Young and his pogo stick blocks on defense against The Buffs. That was a nice addition to our regular swarming ball hawking defense. So hopefully more of that.

Chase Young ("Cy" or not) is a football player, and certainly not on Marquette's basketball team.

Marquette's parts are pretty damn good.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2024, 03:06:53 PM »

Was super impressed with Jop's quick hands and Chase " Cy " Young and his pogo stick blocks on defense against The Buffs. That was a nice addition to our regular swarming ball hawking defense. So hopefully more of that.

::) ::) ::)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2024, 03:26:10 PM »
I believe that was ET. 1:20/4:00 CT last year.

I went into my guide on Directv last night and set both games to record but I didn't write down the exact times but think it was more around 2 and 5:30

Viper

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2024, 03:27:58 PM »
Viper,

Both guys have the ability  to lean on you and impact your balance.  They're land manatees with surprising quicks to a degree.  The counter is for Oso to run Burns to death an take him to school off the dribble.
…And-1!! Make his largeness run run run and run some more. (and hit your free throws 😉) MU by 10!!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2024, 03:31:05 PM »
…And-1!! Make his largeness run run run and run some more. (and hit your free throws 😉) MU by 10!!

This is what Marquette is going to do.

https://twitter.com/ryancassidycbb/status/1772340795988684984
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Captain Quette

• Walk-On
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2024, 03:48:27 PM »
NC state will likely take atep back on D, pack the paint, and force us to shoot 15+ foot jumpers.

Thus, we win if:
1. Shoot high percentage from 3,
2. Get some points off our pick and roll (believe NC st may struggle with this),
3. Oso getting a double, double,
4. Significant ball pressure when we are on D.

Burns is going to get some points.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2024, 03:54:24 PM »
Chase Young ("Cy" or not) is a football player, and certainly not on Marquette's basketball team.

Marquette's parts are pretty damn good.
Correction noted.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2024, 04:33:44 PM »
NC state will likely take atep back on D, pack the paint, and force us to shoot 15+ foot jumpers.
If by 15'+ jumpers you also mean shots besides three pointers, the over/under is 1.5 and they will either consist of an Oso push shot from the FT line or a desperation shot as the time clock expires.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2024, 04:36:03 PM »
The 2024 NCAA South regional is the convergence of my historical NCAA BB fandom.

In 1977 I enjoyed being an MU student, Al McGuire and an NCAA championship. Best moment of my fandom life, to this day.

I graduate MU and I move on to UH for law school. UH rewards me with 1983 Phi Slamma Jama, Olajuwon, Drexler, Guy V., et al.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqMHID2iDRE

We (UH) win the semifinal game vs Louisville and clearly, I am on the verge of attending 2 universities as they become NCAA champs. Wow what a cool thing

Oh sure, there is  NC State who got hot in the ACC Tourney and kept eaking out wins in the opposite bracket. But this was not David Thompson's 74 NC State...this was just an upstart. No problem.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxN9_SZhHns

Super confident, I went from my fan life pinnacle of 77 to the depth of the 83 last second loss to NC State. A lifetime hurt. ESPN does two 30 for 30s on this one tourney (see above). Epic

Only the '95 NBA Rockets amazing champ run with Olajuwon and Drexler provides any solace here. Guy V Lewis was a longtime friend and client. We coped with the 1983 loss by simply never speaking of it.

MU, UH, NC State....and well Duke (the team I have loved to hate throughout this period).

The South regional brings this all back to my memory.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 04:41:01 PM by HouWarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2024, 04:37:31 PM »
Burns is a large, large, man pbi and doesn't miss many meals.

I'm sticking with 325.  :)

Heard Burns’ NILsponsor is Golden Corral

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2024, 05:20:52 PM »
If by 15'+ jumpers you also mean shots besides three pointers, the over/under is 1.5 and they will either consist of an Oso push shot from the FT line or a desperation shot as the time clock expires.
I'd take the under ;D

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2024, 05:21:35 PM »
Heard Burns’ NILsponsor is Golden Corral

Actually, he is banned from eating there.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2024, 05:43:35 PM »
Actually, he is banned from eating there.

NOT all you can eat!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2024, 05:59:49 PM »
I said this against Colorado too, but it was more me being an optimist than anything based in reality.

In this game, I truly think MU wins by 10+.

Idk about all that 10+ business.

NC State has high powered guards and the are all feeling good right now. Diarra is incredibly athletic.

Should be a really good game.
VIOLENCE!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2024, 06:12:37 PM »
NOT all you can eat!

I've been told by reliable sources that in Tokyo, Osaka, and the major Japanese cities, the restaurant owners are always greatly concerned when a Sumo contingent walks through the door.  I think they changed the buffet model there because they were losing a boatload of coin.  :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2024, 06:18:52 PM »
NC State has high powered guards and the are all feeling good right now.

DJ Horne is a good player, who hits about 40% of his 3s. But if he's a "high-powered guard," what is Kam? No other guard on their roster is even close to Horne.

And obviously, they have nobody in the same stratosphere as Kolek. O'Connell, their leading assist guy (3.2), averages under 6 ppg. Nor do they have a defensive dawg like Stevie.

By pretty much any metric, we have a HUGE advantage at guard.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2024, 06:19:29 PM »
DJ Horne is a good player, who hits about 40% of his 3s. But if he's a "high-powered guard," what is Kam? No other guard on their roster is even close to Horne.

And obviously, they have nobody in the same stratosphere as Kolek. O'Connell, their leading assist guy (3.2), averages under 6 ppg. Nor do they have a defensive dawg like Stevie.

They’re better than Radford and Keatts just gets it done
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2024, 06:21:07 PM »

They get good FGA's when Burns touches the ball.  I would run him to death, force him right, and selectively double. 

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2024, 06:32:46 PM »
They get good FGA's when Burns touches the ball.  I would run him to death, force him right, and selectively double.

Everything I’ve seen of Burns, which isn’t a ton, and most of which I’ve read of him screams “extremely big big that has elite vision and can pass very well”

So, in that case, I think it would benefit Marquette to not let him get other guys easy buckets. Make him work, but let him shoot.
I assume his assist come because teams double and he finds the open guy heading to the hoop.
So, if you decide to double, don’t let the cutter glide to the basket open, but instead make him make a crosscourt pass for 3.

More importantly than all of that, as we mentioned versus Colorados big, isolate him in space and make him run so he can grab some bench.
If he camps out, they are daring you to take the 3, so don’t. Go at him with screen and rolls and get guys diving at him at the hoop and laying it up all over his ass, while drawing some fouls

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2024, 06:38:47 PM »
Everything I’ve seen of Burns, which isn’t a ton, and most of which I’ve read of him screams “extremely big big that has elite vision and can pass very well”

So, in that case, I think it would benefit Marquette to not let him get other guys easy buckets. Make him work, but let him shoot.
I assume his assist come because teams double and he finds the open guy heading to the hoop.
So, if you decide to double, don’t let the cutter glide to the basket open, but instead make him make a crosscourt pass for 3.

More importantly than all of that, as we mentioned versus Colorados big, isolate him in space and make him run so he can grab some bench.
If he camps out, they are daring you to take the 3, so don’t. Go at him with screen and rolls and get guys diving at him at the hoop and laying it up all over his ass, while drawing some fouls

The young man is extremely skilled Dr. V.  He's a bigger lefty Davante but a better passer.  I think we're better off making him score 25 than recklessly doubling..   

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2024, 07:33:42 PM »
The young man is extremely skilled Dr. V.  He's a bigger lefty Davante but a better passer.  I think we're better off making him score 25 than recklessly doubling..

Someone on here, tamu maybe, mentioned that if lampkin scored 20 it’s probably a good thing for Marquette.
Maybe it’s the same for Burns.

I know we shouldn’t discount anyone’s skills, especially a big dude when covering him with a bunch of skinny dudes, but it’s hard for me to get worked up about a polished davante with this team we’ve got.

Hope I’m not wrong

feedback