[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who are Marquette's Rivals?  (Read 11457 times)

sportprof101

• Walk-On
Who are Marquette's Rivals?
« on: January 05, 2022, 09:47:28 AM »
Hey Marquette Fans,

Since 2014, we—the students and professors of the Know Rivalry Project—have been studying rivalries for sports in North America. Now we are expanding our research to college hoops. Please help us include the Marquette Golden Eagles by taking 10 minutes to complete our updated survey:

MBB: https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3FdJ8eN2EgFCfCB?mbsrc=krdir&grpID=1472
WBB: https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3FdJ8eN2EgFCfCB?mbsrc=krdir&grpID=5601

Our previous results in the US have been featured in numerous sports media outlets, as well as the Wall Street Journal and New York Times. You can view those results, links to media coverage, and learn more about us at https://knowrivalry.com/

We use the Qualtrics online survey software for data collection. This academic research has been approved by two US universities' Institutional Review Boards (IRB) and it poses no risks to respondents. You'll find more information on the disclosure agreement that is required to start the survey. Thank you for helping us to include the Marquette Golden Eagles by participating and please feel free to share this with any other fans that may also be interested.

Jonah, Student Researcher, Northern Kentucky University
Dr. Joe Cobbs, Northern Kentucky University
Dr. David Tyler, University of Massachusetts—Amherst

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Who are Marquette's Rivals?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 09:54:36 AM »
Hey Marquette Fans,

Since 2014, we—the students and professors of the Know Rivalry Project—have been studying rivalries for sports in North America. Now we are expanding our research to college hoops. Please help us include the Marquette Golden Eagles by taking 10 minutes to complete our updated survey:

MBB: https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3FdJ8eN2EgFCfCB?mbsrc=krdir&grpID=1472
WBB: https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3FdJ8eN2EgFCfCB?mbsrc=krdir&grpID=5601

Our previous results in the US have been featured in numerous sports media outlets, as well as the Wall Street Journal and New York Times. You can view those results, links to media coverage, and learn more about us at https://knowrivalry.com/

We use the Qualtrics online survey software for data collection. This academic research has been approved by two US universities' Institutional Review Boards (IRB) and it poses no risks to respondents. You'll find more information on the disclosure agreement that is required to start the survey. Thank you for helping us to include the Marquette Golden Eagles by participating and please feel free to share this with any other fans that may also be interested.

Jonah, Student Researcher, Northern Kentucky University
Dr. Joe Cobbs, Northern Kentucky University
Dr. David Tyler, University of Massachusetts—Amherst

Marquette basketball only has one rival and that rival is Scoop
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 10:45:11 AM »
Interesting exercise. Here's how I allocated:

1) Wisconsin, 40 points
2) Notre Dame, 20 points
3) Seton Hall, 10 points
4) Creighton, 10 points
5) DePaul, 5 points
6) Louisville, 5 points
7) Cincinnati, 3 points
8) Butler, 3 points
9) Xavier, 3 points
10) Providence, 1 point

I could see arguments for Detroit or Loyola, but I think those rivalries are pretty dead. Could argue any other Big East teams, but I didn't feel like those were super-significant. Maybe Memphis or Dayton, but those aren't played regularly enough anymore.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 10:59:50 AM »
If I walk into a bar and end up talking with a rival fan and we both just agree on how much we hate each other, how much we respect each other and how much we understand each other...it's gonna be Lousiville.

We're basketball centric programs in large cities with a big brother in state that looks down on us.

No rivalry felt as right as Louisville.

They probably claim UK is bigger, just as we would claim Wisconsin.  But deep down we know we're meant for each other.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 11:12:12 AM »
Interesting exercise. Here's how I allocated:

1) Wisconsin, 40 points
2) Notre Dame, 20 points
3) Seton Hall, 10 points
4) Creighton, 10 points
5) DePaul, 5 points
6) Louisville, 5 points
7) Cincinnati, 3 points
8) Butler, 3 points
9) Xavier, 3 points
10) Providence, 1 point

I could see arguments for Detroit or Loyola, but I think those rivalries are pretty dead. Could argue any other Big East teams, but I didn't feel like those were super-significant. Maybe Memphis or Dayton, but those aren't played regularly enough anymore.

I'd say that depauls rivalry is completely dead. Their lack of support for the team, and the team being trash for the past 40 years makes that a useless one.

Notre dame has got to be close to dying since we never play anymore.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 11:21:14 AM »
I'd say that depauls rivalry is completely dead. Their lack of support for the team, and the team being trash for the past 40 years makes that a useless one.

Notre dame has got to be close to dying since we never play anymore.

If we owned DePaul the past decade, I'd agree, but they seem to keep beating us from time to time and always let us know loudly when it happens. It isn't the rivalry it once was, but there's still something to it.

As far as ND, that is probably one more for the past fans, but who is bigger currently? Especially with us renewing the series next year. The Big East rivals just feel too new to have the same rivalry and animosity that ND still stirs up, especially among old-timers.

I do agree with Lens that Louisville is a perfect fit for that rival, but we just don't see them enough anymore. Even if it produced some of the best rival moments for both fanbases in the past 20-30 years.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 11:29:05 AM »
Wisconsin 50
Notre Dame 20
Louisville 10
Seton Hall 10
Cincy 5
DePaul 5

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 11:30:24 AM »
Wisconsin 75
Notre Dame 15
Louisville 10

I missed them, but Seton Hall does deserve a place at the table.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MauraDay

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 11:32:31 AM »
As a Marquette fan since '97 and someone who lived in Louisville from '02-'06, I completely agree with this. I miss the rivalry.

https://www.cardchronicle.com/2012/1/16/2710357/ten-most-memorable-louisville-vs-marquette-games-rivalry-cardinals-knowles-jerry-smith

If I walk into a bar and end up talking with a rival fan and we both just agree on how much we hate each other, how much we respect each other and how much we understand each other...it's gonna be Lousiville.

We're basketball centric programs in large cities with a big brother in state that looks down on us.

They probably claim UK is bigger, just as we would claim Wisconsin.  But deep down we know we're meant for each other.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 11:34:09 AM by MauraDay »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 11:41:23 AM »
As a Marquette fan since '97 and someone who lived in Louisville from '02-'06, I completely agree with this. I miss the rivalry.

https://www.cardchronicle.com/2012/1/16/2710357/ten-most-memorable-louisville-vs-marquette-games-rivalry-cardinals-knowles-jerry-smith

Thank you for that link.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 11:50:42 AM »
I had Wisconsin number one and then all the other Big East Schools except DePaul to round out the 10 gave all equal weighting. Those are the teams we battle year in and year out.

Didn't put ND and Louisville, because we really don't play them much any more. They would definitely be rivals if they were consistently on our schedule. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 12:04:17 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 12:06:39 PM »

Louisville never really gave a damn about us as a "rival." We had great games against them but it wasn't any more "rivalry" than other CUSA teams, we were competitors with them.

Wisconsin
DePaul
Notre Dame
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 12:16:16 PM »
I got to know a lot of Louisville fans through a Louisville transplant living in MKE.  Met a dozen or so diehards who would pilgrimage up here for games. 

MU was their #1 in conference
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 12:19:25 PM »
Crean sucks

He lost by 2 to the Texan last night and Buzz is all over Twitter talking about how great of a start A&M is having after his typical bounty soft OOC scheduling

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2022, 12:21:43 PM »
Pitt and WVU used to be in the discussion. WVU fans were sentimental in SC. Pitt sucks at basketball now and WVU basketball feels orphaned in the B12.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2022, 12:28:52 PM »
I got to know a lot of Louisville fans through a Louisville transplant living in MKE.  Met a dozen or so diehards who would pilgrimage up here for games. 

MU was their #1 in conference

I had a project in Lulvul while we were in the Big East together.  We were definitely on their hate list as it related to the conference.  Now that we are no longer in conference I imagine that they don't think about us much anymore.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2022, 01:07:51 PM »
Yeah, the Louisville rival was absolutely mutual when we were playing every season.  I really miss playing them.  Cincinnati too, for that matter.  Grew a begrudging and deeply ambivalent respect for Bob Huggins' teams from those games during the 2000-2003 years.

I'd personally love a non conference series with either UL or UC on the schedule.

I was in Atlanta last week the day before the Peach Bowl. Seeing all the people in Pitt gear still made my stomach turn a little bit.  That was a pretty decent rivalry back then too.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2022, 01:17:08 PM »
I had to put Cinci in mine

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2022, 01:27:44 PM »
Wisconsin 50
Notre Dame 20
Louisville 10
Seton Hall 10
Cincy 5
DePaul 5

That's pretty close to mine, but I excluded SHU and Cincy. I had:

UW 40
ND 30
UL 15
DPU 15

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2022, 01:29:38 PM »
I had to put Cinci in mine

I get the Cinci thing but to me it was Huggins.  He transfered to West Va and that followed.  Cinci never rose to their prior levels rivalry wise when Mick was in charge. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2022, 01:31:54 PM »
I get the Cinci thing but to me it was Huggins.  He transfered to West Va and that followed.  Cinci never rose to their prior levels rivalry wise when Mick was in charge.

Same here. Our rivalry with UL transcended Crum, Pitino, etc, but for me the UC rivalry was mostly about Huggy.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2022, 01:37:11 PM »
Based it on when I was a student:

Wisconsin: 30
ND: 30
DePaul:20 (had a personal stake back then)
Cincinnati: 10
Louisville: 10
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2022, 02:12:23 PM »
I went:

Wisconsin 60
Notre Dame 20
DePaul 10
Seton Hall  4
Creighton 2
Providence 2
Louisville 1
Cinci 1

Back when we were playing ND, Louisville, and Cincy on the regular it would have looked a lot differently but all three took major hits when the BEast split. DePaul is mostly based on longevity and how infuriating it is when we lose to them. I picked Seton Hall, Creighton, and Providence as the fledgling rivalries because we always seem to play tough, contested games against them, and weird sh*t always happens vs. Creighton and Providence.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2022, 02:41:57 PM »
I gave Wisconsin 40 points and Villanova 25 points.

Everything else was ancient or minimal and included Notre Dame, Providence, West Virginia (love ya Huggie), DePaul (think of them the way Wisconsin thinks of us), Louisville, Kentucky (dates to Al and DWade) and Dayton for a point (we hated them way back when...)

Villanova has been a big game for us and we've had some incredible moments against them. Yeah, they're not Notre Dame and Louisville in hatred, but we have not played those guys in years.