[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Most Popular Safety Schools In The Country  (Read 6036 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Most Popular Safety Schools In The Country
« on: November 16, 2019, 11:40:36 AM »
What do you think of this list?

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-best-safety-schools-college-fallback-options

1 University of Colorado Boulder 
2 University of Vermont
3 George Washington University
4 James Madison University
5 Pennsylvania State University
6 Occidental College
7 Virginia Polytechnic Institute
8 University of Massachusetts Amherst
9 Lewis & Clark College
10 UNC/Asheville
11 Marquette University
12 Skidmore College
13 The University of Texas at Austin
14 University of California, Irvine
15 Tulane University
16 University of California, Santa Cruz
17 George Mason University
18 Texas Tech University
19 Fordham University
20 American University
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Most Popular Safety Schools In The Country
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 12:02:10 PM »
What do you think of this list?

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-best-safety-schools-college-fallback-options

1 University of Colorado Boulder 
2 University of Vermont
3 George Washington University
4 James Madison University
5 Pennsylvania State University
6 Occidental College
7 Virginia Polytechnic Institute
8 University of Massachusetts Amherst
9 Lewis & Clark College
10 UNC/Asheville
11 Marquette University
12 Skidmore College
13 The University of Texas at Austin
14 University of California, Irvine
15 Tulane University
16 University of California, Santa Cruz
17 George Mason University
18 Texas Tech University
19 Fordham University
20 American University

UC Irvine is rated top 50 in the nation as is Tulane and Texas.  Interesting list.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 01:01:24 PM »
This should be a nice discussion on scoop

But it's 2019, safety schools? Lol

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 01:56:47 PM »
I think this generalizes too much, it all depends on the program.

If I didn’t get into Northwestern or the Marquette PT program, Illinois was my “safety school”

I guess if everything went horribly, horribly wrong then yea, Marquette’s general admission would have ended up being my safety.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 02:06:31 PM »
Surprised to see Marquette there, as I cannot remember the last Marquette safety to make the NFL.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 02:40:34 PM »
Surprised to see Marquette there, as I cannot remember the last Marquette safety to make the NFL.

Artie Green

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 02:54:31 PM »
Acceptance rates and stuff.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 03:41:18 PM »
Those are all quality schools, I don't see why Marquette should be ashamed to be on such a list.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 03:52:55 PM »
It's a crowd-sourced list.  It's meaningless.
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 05:32:19 PM »
UT-Austin is quite difficult to get into, especially out of state. I know kids that went to Virginia and Wash U who didn’t get into UT.

And Occidental College is less than 2000 kids. That’s enough to already know this list sucks.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 06:43:55 PM »
Those are all quality schools, I don't see why Marquette should be ashamed to be on such a list.

I completely agree. 

Safety school means that after the select "reach schools" (Ivies, Stanford, Duke, Chicago, Hopkins, Northwestern, etc), the country views these schools as very desirable.  It also means the school has a national reputation.

If you are not in the top 20 of US news rankings (to cite one benchmark), this is a good list to be on.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 03:31:35 PM »
We just took my younger daughter to visit UVM for an open house last weekend, but it's not her safety school.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 08:36:28 AM »
As others have alluded, being crowdsourced, I suspect kids who listed some of the really good schools were shooting even higher based on their grades and SATs. For example, kids who listed UC-Irvine might have had places like Stanford, UC-Berkeley or UCLA as their target schools. And I wouldn't be surprised if those who listed MU were shooting for places like Northwestern, WashU, and similar schools.

The headline is all about the ciicks....

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 11:11:52 AM »

pretty much all of them (except for the Liberal Arts schools) are ranked in the first tier for US News.  It's like it's a list made up of schools like UWM, Eastern Illinois, Louisville and Chico State on which MU is included.

CU was actually my dream school, until made dad figured out I wanted to go there to just ski and hike (like most students there).  A girl who didn't get into Texas sued all the way to the SCOTUS to get in there, so I don't know how it's a "safety school" unless the top choice for applicants is Rice.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 11:13:59 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 11:43:30 AM »
These are all great schools. No shame in being on this list. Yeah, if we are a "safety school" for Harvard, University of Chicago, or Stanford...fine by me. Never had any illusion of being in that tier.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 11:49:14 AM »
pretty much all of them (except for the Liberal Arts schools) are ranked in the first tier for US News.  It's like it's a list made up of schools like UWM, Eastern Illinois, Louisville and Chico State on which MU is included.

CU was actually my dream school, until made dad figured out I wanted to go there to just ski and hike (like most students there).  A girl who didn't get into Texas sued all the way to the SCOTUS to get in there, so I don't know how it's a "safety school" unless the top choice for applicants is Rice.

UT Austin is like UW Madison.  It's the target school for a lot of especially instate students, but will be more of a "safety school" for some looking from out of state.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 12:39:25 PM »
MU & VPI in the top 11, TAMU nowhere to be found. Buzz made a major trade down, SMDH

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 05:24:51 PM »
I'm right here

Oh wait...
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 06:52:36 PM »
  rest assured all you st norbie rejects, help is on the way
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 11:13:49 PM »

Yep. A friend of mine went for CU for the much same reason. After graduating, she became a ski instructor in Vail for a couple of years before it was time to move on. Fortunately, she had studied enough between the skiing and hiking to get a good GPA, and she ended up in law school at Vanderbilt.

CU, like most big schools, is what you make of it. If you do enough work, you can find your way to a great future. If you don't, you may just get an expensive piece of paper for the wall.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 08:48:41 AM »
I guess I can't identify with having a "dream school" or a "fallback."

I applied to MU and UW-Madison. Wasn't really thrilled about either initially, just was a pragmatic choice as I wanted to be close to my high school girlfriend (haha what an idiot I was!) who also applied to both and ended up going to Madison. I also got into both schools. I decided it was best to go to a different school than my gf, and if it was meant to be it would still work out 70 miles apart. We broke up summer after freshman year. Ended up marrying an MU gal. No regrets with my choice of MU, although my student loans would already be paid off if I went the other way...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 08:50:40 AM by Coleman »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 10:56:11 AM »
CU was actually my dream school, until made dad figured out I wanted to go there to just ski and hike (like most students there).

There was often a third main attraction of CU...even when I was growing up in Colorado (i.e., before legalization was a thing).  The common saying was always, "CU:  Nine months in Boulder, three months in rehab."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 01:21:27 PM »
The quality of education at Princeton, Harvard or Yale at the under graduate  level is no different than the education at Marquette. However having an Ivy undergrad education will open more doors.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 03:45:20 PM »
The quality of education at Princeton, Harvard or Yale at the under graduate  level is no different than the education at Marquette. However having an Ivy undergrad education will open more doors.

MU is a solid school but that first sentence is false.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 04:36:17 PM »
There was often a third main attraction of CU...even when I was growing up in Colorado (i.e., before legalization was a thing).  The common saying was always, "CU:  Nine months in Boulder, three months in rehab."

CU is such a unique place.  My girlfriend from freshman year of college transferred back home there, so I spent a good amount of time over the next 6-8 months there.  I'm wasnt an avid fan of "herbal supplements" nor was I much for the crunchy granola pseudo hippie vibe Boulder can be known for.  I love to ski but otherwise not a huge outdoors (camping, hiking) sort of person.  That being said, it had a magnetism that I was obsessed with.  It is eclectic, and laid back, and diverse.  Good academics, a gorgeous campus, Folsom is an amazing venue, and close to Denver.  I was in love with where I went to school and couldn't leave, but if I was even remotely unhappy, I may have transferred after visit #2.