[Today at 08:37:20 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JTJ3
[Today at 06:35:06 AM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Prince Fielder going to Cubs.  (Read 5467 times)

JD

• All American
Prince Fielder going to Cubs.
« on: November 18, 2011, 11:17:20 AM »
Breaking news, Prince Fielder close to signing a 7 year 116million contract with the cubs.  Not confirmed yet.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: Prince Fielder going to Cubs.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 11:18:55 AM »
source? that doesnt make any sense when the Brewers have a standing 5 year 100 mil offer on teh table.

JD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 11:28:47 AM »
More homeruns at Wrigley, and a chance to erase the curse with Theo.  And i wasn't aware the Brewers still had that offer on the table?  Wasn't that before the year had begun?
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 11:29:34 AM »
Not a chance.  Attanasio would match that deal in a heartbeat.  I'm all for listening to rumors, but save the ridiculous ones for the JSonline boards.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 11:38:22 AM »
More homeruns at Wrigley

No worries, I'm not killing the messenger, but that's actually not true -

Here's the macro level view for park indices (home runs)...
A park index of exactly 100 is a neutral park -- it has no effect on this particular stat. An index above 100 favors the statistic that it is easier to hit home runs in said ballpark. The opposite is also true - if the index is below 100, it is more difficult to hit home runs in said ballpark.
In 2010, Wrigley Field had a park index of 110. Meaning it's 10% easier to hit HRs in Wrigley than in a neutral park. The Cubs hit 74 home runs in home games while their opponents hit 87. Miller Park had a park index of 123, Busch Stadium had an index of 77, and Great American Ballpark had an index of 114.

Plus, the right field foul pole at Wrigley is 353, and right center is 368. Meanwhile the right pole at Miller Park is 345 and right center is 374.

JD

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 11:42:50 AM »
You sure about that?  Attanasio will probably listen to his best player in Ryan Braun, who himself stated he would rather have "Reyes, or somebody else" Fielder doesn't want to be 1a.  Why wouldn't he go to Wrigley?

#Brewer fan.

AL

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 11:45:02 AM »
You sure about that?  Attanasio will probably listen to his best player in Ryan Braun, who himself stated he would rather have "Reyes, or somebody else" Fielder doesn't want to be 1a.  Why wouldn't he go to Wrigley?

#Brewer fan.

He definitely might, but not for $16.5 mil a year unless its a 15 year deal. Boras was rumored to be looking for $200 mil, and while I think thats certainly too high, anything less than $20 annually over 7 would be a major disappointment. I think Fielder and Boras are in full-on mercenary mode right now.

JD

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 11:49:39 AM »
He definitely might, but not for $16.5 mil a year unless its a 15 year deal. Boras was rumored to be looking for $200 mil, and while I think thats certainly too high, anything less than $20 annually over 7 would be a major disappointment. I think Fielder and Boras are in full-on mercenary mode right now.

I absolutely agree. However, there isn't much of a market for teams that can afford a first base salary like that.  Red Sox, Yanks, already have their guys.  Maybe a DH.  but other than the Marlins, perhaps Dodgers, and chicago, where could he go that a team will forfeit that amount of money?

AL

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 11:51:54 AM »
I've heard that you can add Nationals to your list.

JD

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 11:52:49 AM »
I've heard that you can add Nationals to your list.

I stand corrected, I wasn't researching that deeply.  Probably Toronto as well.

AL

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 12:23:52 PM »
Prince offered 7 years for 116M.

Kemp offered 8 years for 120M by Dodgers.

What is Puljos worth??????????

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 12:29:34 PM »
Kemp is worth even more than that. Partially driven down price because the deal bought out an rb year

JD

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 12:35:27 PM »
Again, i'm just conveying what I was told.  Seems about right. Kemp 8 yrs 120m.  I think Kemp is better or just as good as fielder.  You don't agree?  And Albert, we'll we shall see who will over pay for someone in their 30's.

AL

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 12:36:39 PM »
These are the teams who "fit the bill" for Fielder - having both the cash (supposedly) to spend and a need at 1B (or DH).

Angels
Astros
Cardinals (if Pujols goes elsewhere)
Cubs
Dodgers
Orioles
Mets
Mariners
Marlins
Nationals
Rangers

Of the above, the Angels, Dodgers and Rangers have already stated they're not pursuing Fielder and the Mets are quite unlikely as well given their financial state.  Chances are pretty good the Cards retain Pujols.  I put the Orioles up there because they have been rumored to have expressed interest, but I just don't see them paying Prince more than twice the annual salary as anyone on their current roster (considering that they're not going to be competing with the top of their division anytime soon).  Same thing with the Nationals and Marlins, but let's not forget, these two teams each already have $50M tied up for 2012 and neither has ever had a payroll over $70M.  So we're down to:

Astros
Cubs
Mariners

Personally, I think Prince is going to Houston.  After their salary dump last year, they have the money and they're going to the AL where Prince can be their inaugural DH.  And Prince probably wants to hit the flagpole someday.

But as a Brewer fan, I still want Prince in Cubby Blue for 8 years and $230M.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 01:04:34 PM »
Breaking news, Prince Fielder close to signing a 7 year 116million contract with the cubs.  Not confirmed yet.

Who tells you that?  I don't think they're right.  7 years is what he's looking for, but $116 million is what he'd get if it was a 5 years.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 01:46:41 PM »
Nothing even close to this is on mlbtraderumors.com, and they print pretty much anything.

No Prince to the Cubs. They've been building a future to waste a bunch of money in a blackhole that Prince will become after his payday.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 02:00:29 PM »
Nay.

JD

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 02:06:10 PM »
I can't name the source, i'll just say that he's a part of the cubs organization who is friends with my step-father.  So again being my step dad is a huge cub fan maybe he's pulling my chain, but he seemed genuine.  Also i thought the numbers made sense considering Kemps contract.

AL

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 02:09:55 PM »
If the Cubs are targeting a year (say 2014 or 2015) and building everything towards those years it is possible as Prince is entering his prime.  And Theo did sya he would only pay for future performance, not past.

I don't see it happening though.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 02:11:04 PM »
he's a part of the cubs organization who is friends with my step-father. 

I hope it's not Crane Kenny?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 02:15:54 PM »
I hope it's not Crane Kenny?

Worst. Friend. Ever.

JD

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 02:24:02 PM »
LOL!  No tis not Crane.

AL

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 02:32:31 PM »
No way this happens.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 03:10:35 PM »
I can't name the source, i'll just say that he's a part of the cubs organization who is friends with my step-father.  So again being my step dad is a huge cub fan maybe he's pulling my chain, but he seemed genuine.  Also i thought the numbers made sense considering Kemps contract.

Here's a something a Cheesehead whose lived in Chicago for about a decade picked up on within a month:

Fathers (and step-fathers) have been lying to their sons about the Cubs for the better part of a century.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 04:36:01 PM »
Jim Bowden predicts Fielder at 8 years 24 mill/yr  that would be a 192 million contract

http://espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full