[Today at 08:37:20 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JTJ3
[Today at 06:35:06 AM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New Pa. State Coach?  (Read 3937 times)

nyg

• All American
New Pa. State Coach?
« on: November 10, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Since only one day to go till MU tipoff, figured this a good time to ask the question.  One more day of Joe Pa talk.

Who will be the candidates for the job and would they even take it.  Following a legend is one thing, taking on a program with the current issues is another.  I would presume recruiting will be difficult.

Urban Meyer.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: New Pa. State Coach?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 03:24:25 PM »
Buzz!

I actually think Meyer will go to Ohio State. I also think that many highly successful coaches have egos big enough to think that the scandals at PSU will not affect their recruiting and that they'll be national title contenders from Day 1. That said, I'm not sure a program has faced a scandal quite like this one so I could be way off.

Wild care candidate: Bill Cowher
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:27:20 PM by MerrittsMustache »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 03:24:50 PM »
PSU has begun talks.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 03:38:33 PM »
Crean would be their guy. Squeaky clean academics, a recruiting genius, and has a wife with kids.
Jack could lend a hand with the backfield and the bros-in-law will deal with the X's and O's. Yep, Tommy's their dude.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 03:42:53 PM »
hard to imagine any big name coach would want to follow Joe Pa. Safe bet is Tom Bradley is retained

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 03:44:46 PM »
Kirk Ferentz will be in the mix

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 03:55:36 PM »
Kirk Ferentz will be in the mix

Would Iowa let him go elsewhere in conference?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 04:00:11 PM »
Al Golden would be a prime candidate.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 04:10:46 PM »
hard to imagine any big name coach would want to follow Joe Pa. Safe bet is Tom Bradley is retained

Actually, that is not a safe bet.  They should clean house. 

Pat Fitzgerald is my guess.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 06:09:27 PM »

I agree, they will need to clean house.  Not sure who would want it right now.  Replacing a legend who left in disgrace and also a school with a tarnished image right now.  That will be a tough sell for awhile.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 06:34:11 PM »

Although if Penn State did what they they should do, then they would never be in this mess. The fact that McQueary is still coaching makes me think that we can't trust Penn State to do what they should do.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 07:32:22 PM »

I almost can't believe I'm saying this, but I don't think Penn State is an upgrade for Fitzgerald. Things have changed.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 07:44:43 PM »
Sultan is right on the money. Pat Fitzgerald will be the next PSU coach.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 07:46:08 PM »
Sultan is right on the money. Pat Fitzgerald will be the next PSU coach.

Nah, don't think so.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 08:01:16 PM »
Fitzgerald is on record as saying the only job he'd leave NW for is PSU. Fitzgerald is still pissed at the Northwestern board for the rejected land propsoal for the football team on the lakefront. PSU has to go outside the program and get someone squeaky clean.

Do the math, and Fitz is your next PSU coach.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 08:07:08 PM »
Is Penn State even a desirable job after this? This scandal destroys the University's reputation. No thanks.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 08:25:21 PM »
That's the best time to be the next coach.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 08:57:58 PM »
Yes, nothing cements excellence like working for a University that ignored child rape.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 09:22:13 PM »
Hey, it worked beautifully for Scott Drew at Baylor.  Coming in when everything is at its lowest point has its advantages.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 09:40:20 PM »
Hey, it worked beautifully for Scott Drew at Baylor.  Coming in when everything is at its lowest point has its advantages.

I tend to agree. Dukiet and Deane were certainly easier to follow than Al. On the other hand, this is 100x worse than the scandal at IU and the last three years have been post apocolyptic there. Penn State may be Minnesota or Indiana football for a while.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 09:47:17 PM »

Baylor was never PSU in terms of reputation and expectations.  Not sure the house was cleaned at Baylor as it has been at PSU. 

When will they hire the coach?  After they hire the President and then the AD before moving onto the coach?  Likely will miss one, possibly two recruiting classes.  Add to that, the stench this has to parents of the young boys they will be recruiting.  Add to it, the split feelings among the alums and fans right now.  This has disaster written all over it.  I doubt the interest will be very high.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 09:58:59 PM »
You've got three generations of Joe Pa loyalists, former players, etc. in and around that place.  Think about that.  There is some truth to it being a cult there, just imagine if McGuire coached at a 4 x bigger marquette for 60 years.

You better be on your game, they won't have an loyalty to you unlike if PSU had one of their own in there like a Tom Bradley.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 08:06:07 AM »
College coaches are confident in their abilities.  Penn State has a ton of resources, including sitting in one of the top parts of the country for recruits.  And if they win there, they will be a legend.

Believe me, they aren'g going to get a top-tier coach there, but I wouldn't doubt that a young, up-and-coming coach snaps that job up.  (Similar to what Drew was when he went to Baylor.)  That's why I think someone like Fitzgerald (with his enthusiasm and charisma) would be an excellent choice.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 09:35:08 AM »
I think the younger the candidate the less likely they are to be interested. Everything Penn State accomplished is now phony.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 09:55:19 AM »
Fitzgerald is on record as saying the only job he'd leave NW for is PSU. Fitzgerald is still pissed at the Northwestern board for the rejected land propsoal for the football team on the lakefront. PSU has to go outside the program and get someone squeaky clean.

Do the math, and Fitz is your next PSU coach.

The Penn State that Fitzgerald aspired to no longer exists. You could argue that it never did. Prior statements about the wonderful tradition Pat would be joining are meaningless.