[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tan Tommy Watch  (Read 7610 times)

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
Tan Tommy Watch
« on: February 23, 2010, 01:46:41 PM »
Well its started.  Folks in Hoosierland are calling for a buyout of the Tan One.  Seems that unlike some of his old equipment managers they don't like the don't ask don't tell treatment when your 9 and 100.  The real question is whether Pat or Bob Knight will be the new coach in 2010-2011. 
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Re: Tan Tommy Watch
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 01:51:16 PM »
Well its started.  Folks in Hoosierland are calling for a buyout of the Tan One.  Seems that unlike some of his old equipment managers they don't like the don't ask don't tell treatment when your 9 and 100.  The real question is whether Pat or Bob Knight will be the new coach in 2010-2011. 

Link...?
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 01:54:09 PM »
Wow.  I'm not a huge fan of Crean, but can someone kill this thread please?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 01:59:20 PM »
Link...?

LOL.  Yeah, it started on a message board.  This goes up there with the Fire Bruce Weber websites that have been around for about 5 years.  It's funny watching a few of the MU posters here over on the IU website posing at IU fans.  Entertaining.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 02:07:27 PM »
IU fans would want a second year coach fired if they made the tourny but missed a National Championship.  This isn't surprising.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 02:16:55 PM »
IU fans would want a second year coach fired if they made the tourny but missed a National Championship.  This isn't surprising.

Correction, some lunatic IU fans would want that, but not most.

Just as some MU fans think the 2nd winningest coach in MU history couldn't coach or recruit and just happened to be the 2nd winningest coach because of some combination of cosmic rays and pixie dust.

Some Packer fans want McCarthy fired.   The only thing that matters is what the folks on the inside want and know.

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 02:20:25 PM »
The only thing that matters is what the folks on the inside with the money want.

Fixed.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 02:23:07 PM »
Fixed.

Yes, that always plays a big big part.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 03:18:46 PM »
Reporter:  "Why do did you take the job at Indiana?"
Crean:  "Because it's Indiana."

Reporter:  "Why did you get fired after two years at Indiana?"
Crean:  "Because it's Indiana."

For the record, while I don't want to get into Crean's personality/coaching attributes vs drawbacks, I think he'll do great at Indiana if given the time.  That program had a nuclear bomb wipe out everything in it's path... I think the fans have a case of brain damage from the radiation.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 04:43:33 PM »
That program is an absolute shell of its former self.

Honestly, can you imagine Indiana (!) aspiring to be Michigan State in the Big Ten? That's what's happened. Indiana dreams of being Michigan State...that's heresy in Bloomington!

Chicos -- I know you have faith in the guy, but there is absolutely no way they're going to be a top notch Big Ten team for the foreseeable future. MSU, Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue...why would a big time recruit want to go to Indiana and get cornholed every game and then go to practice and play for an assh*le like Crean? You think the guys on the team right now are selling that program to recruits?

Crean made a huge, huge mistake taking that job and it is an absolute delight to watch him struggle so badly that his buddy Izzo is pleading for patience.

I believe that it's not so much performance that has fans beginning to question Crean, but they're quickly becoming wise to his actual personality!!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 04:44:16 PM »
This goes up there with the Fire Bruce Weber websites that have been around for about 5 years. 

Or Randy Moss to the Packers rumors

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:37:06 PM »
My understanding is Crean's buy-out for termination without cause until the completion of Year 5 is only $3mm, and will then reduce by $600k per year there after.  IU would be crazy to cut him loose until after year 5.  Who else would take that job?  

Crean needs to add a recruiter with a network.  McLeod was supposed to be that guy but he isn't getting it done.  Rumors of transfers out are swirling.  Decker is even questioning CTC with soft language.  Tough situation with a couple of key injuries to add to his woes this year.  IU is, at best, the 4th best team in Indiana right now.  

Like KO, I am guessing there are second thoughts in the Crean household about leaving Milwaukee.  If the B11 expands to SU, PU, Mizzu or Texas, the hill gets steeper for Crean in hoops.  Yet, he wanted this challenge.  

Also just a point of clarification Chicos on this quote:  Just as some MU fans think the 2nd winningest coach in MU history couldn't coach or recruit and just happened to be the 2nd winningest coach because of some combination of cosmic rays and pixie dust." 

In fact, Crean has the 3rd most wins behind Al and Hickey as a head coach, not counting Rick and Hank as assistants.  And he is 5th in winning percentage, just ahead of Deane (granted with KO's players).  While many try to diminish his contributions, let's not over inflate them either.  He was a very good coach for MU but he was a better cheerleader. 

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/coaches
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:56:14 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 08:03:25 AM »
IU is, at best, the 4th best team in Indiana right now.  

That's one of the things that surprised me the most about the move. I think he made at best a lateral move in terms of a) conference capability and a worse move in terms of b) recruiting competition. Crean finished 4th to 6th in the BE ... about the top 3rd. I just don't see him winning B11 championships. I could be wrong but I think he'll probably be 3-4th at best on an average year. But maybe more than that, Indiana has to be one of the two or three toughest states in the country for college basketball. Fierce competition for recruits. Maybe he can pull it off, but there is more than one serious in-state program now to compete for the same pool of recruits.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:06:48 AM by warrior07 »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 08:22:51 AM »
In fact, Crean has the 3rd most wins behind Al and Hickey as a head coach, not counting Rick and Hank as assistants.  And he is 5th in winning percentage, just ahead of Deane (granted with KO's players).  While many try to diminish his contributions, let's not over inflate them either.  He was a very good coach for MU but he was a better cheerleader. 

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/coaches

Hmm .. did you mean Bill Chandler?

Win count:
McGuire : 295
Bill Chandler : 193
Crean: 165
Raymonds: 126
Deane: 100
Murray: 94
Hickey: 92

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 08:25:46 AM »
Hmm .. did you mean Bill Chandler?

Win count:
McGuire : 295
Bill Chandler : 193
Crean: 165
Raymonds: 126
Deane: 100
Murray: 94
Hickey: 92

:-[   Yes, Chandler...mine eyes deceive me.  Thanks

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 08:53:06 AM »
What I find fantastically ironic is that Indiana would have been much better off hiring Buzz Williams. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 09:20:39 AM »
What I find fantastically ironic is that Indiana would have been much better off hiring Buzz Williams. 

You might be right, but let's also keep in mind it's only been 18 months.

TC is no Coach K (nor will he ever be), but Coach K had some very lean years at Duke before the program got going.

Buzz is great, and I'm glad MU has him. But, it's probably too early to tell who is the better coach.

Hell, Mike Deane looked great for 2-3 years and then stumbled pretty badly.

I know you guys WANT TC to fail, but it's probably a little too early to be piling dirt on his coaching grave.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 09:52:53 AM »
That program is an absolute shell of its former self.

Honestly, can you imagine Indiana (!) aspiring to be Michigan State in the Big Ten? That's what's happened. Indiana dreams of being Michigan State...that's heresy in Bloomington!

Chicos -- I know you have faith in the guy, but there is absolutely no way they're going to be a top notch Big Ten team for the foreseeable future. MSU, Illinois, Wisconsin, Purdue...why would a big time recruit want to go to Indiana and get cornholed every game and then go to practice and play for an assh*le like Crean? You think the guys on the team right now are selling that program to recruits?

Crean made a huge, huge mistake taking that job and it is an absolute delight to watch him struggle so badly that his buddy Izzo is pleading for patience.

I believe that it's not so much performance that has fans beginning to question Crean, but they're quickly becoming wise to his actual personality!!

It's not so much that I have faith in the guy, but it's what I know of the situation there.  It was basically the death penalty so they're starting from scratch.  This is why he got a 10 year deal.

But yes, I do believe he'll get it going there.  If you can succeed at Marquette and do something here that hasn't been done in 30 years, he is certainly capable of it at Indiana.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 09:54:23 AM »

Awfully early in the process to be making that kind of statement.  And if IU had hired Buzz Williams there would have been a revolt on the IU campus.  His hiring would have been impossible

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »
Blackheart, you are correct.  I should have said the 2nd most successful coach in MU history.  Chandler had 3 more wins but had a losing record at 193-198.

Crean is the only other coach to take us to a Final Four other than Al
Has the second most post season appearances
3rd best winning percentage for a coach that was around at least 3 years

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 10:08:30 AM »
Blackheart, you are correct.  I should have said the 2nd most successful coach in MU history.  Chandler had 3 more wins but had a losing record at 193-198.

Crean is the only other coach to take us to a Final Four other than Al
Has the second most post season appearances
3rd best winning percentage for a coach that was around at least 3 years

Dwayne Wade took MU to the Final Four.  End of story.  And Crean wasn't even his primary recruiter - Kowalycz identified D-Wade.  Lastly, if Crean were any kind of coach, he would have found a way to slow the bleeding and NOT have us get humiliated and embarrased at the Final Four. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 10:16:08 AM »
Dwayne Wade took MU to the Final Four. 

But Diener took us to the Sweet Sixteen.   ;)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 12:15:10 PM »
Dwayne Wade took MU to the Final Four.  End of story.  And Crean wasn't even his primary recruiter - Kowalycz identified D-Wade.  Lastly, if Crean were any kind of coach, he would have found a way to slow the bleeding and NOT have us get humiliated and embarrased at the Final Four. 

C'mon.

Where do you draw the line with this?

If MU makes the final 4 this year because Lazar goes nuclear, does Buzz get credit? I say yes. You'd say yes.

Why does that change when you say "wade" and "TC"?

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 12:20:02 PM »

Yeesh... did Tom Crean steal your girlfriend?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 12:26:42 PM »
Wade won 1 game in that tournament, the Kentucky game.   Diener carried us the first two rounds and Novak going off saved us against Mizzou.   Crean was hired at IU because he had a track record of running a clean program, of promoting the hell out of that clean program, going to a FF, and surpassing expectations when MU joined the BEast.   The powers that be wanted the anti-Sampson, anti-Davis.    They got it.   He has basically STARTED A PROGRAM FROM SCRATCH in one of the lower tier  ;D ;D ;D BCS basketball conferences.   And he is doing it in the crucible of some of the most rabid fans in all of college hoops.   He is going to be there awhile, and he is going to have success.   IMO, he doesn't win a B10 title, NCAA championship, or even FF for several years, if at all.  He could catch lighning in a bottle again, though.     But at worst, he cleans things up and lays the groundwork for somebody who will take them back to a top 5 program.    He did good things at MU.    What he is going through now is karma/punishment enough for how he left.   Let the man be.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 12:36:50 PM »
coming from the:  He did well for MU, but I'm glad he's gone camp:

SHEESH.  Leave the man alone.  I will not shed tears if he get's shot in the back by IU fans, but I am not rooting for his demise either.

Unless you have something new or particularly funny or insightful, leave it alone.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »
Wade won 1 game in that tournament, the Kentucky game.   Diener carried us the first two rounds and Novak going off saved us against Mizzou.  

I'm not joining this argument, I just wanted to make a clarification here.  The first two games were Holy Cross and Missouri.  Then Pitt and UK.  Wade definitely didn't have a great games in the first one (15 pts), but was pretty good in each of the next three, at least scoring wise (24, 22, and 29).  However, they needed the whole team to win all those games, DWade was just the catalyst most of the time.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 04:01:52 PM »
Wade won 1 game in that tournament, the Kentucky game.   Diener carried us the first two rounds and Novak going off saved us against Mizzou.   Crean was hired at IU because he had a track record of running a clean program, of promoting the hell out of that clean program, going to a FF, and surpassing expectations when MU joined the BEast.   The powers that be wanted the anti-Sampson, anti-Davis.    They got it.   He has basically STARTED A PROGRAM FROM SCRATCH in one of the lower tier  ;D ;D ;D BCS basketball conferences.   And he is doing it in the crucible of some of the most rabid fans in all of college hoops.   He is going to be there awhile, and he is going to have success.   IMO, he doesn't win a B10 title, NCAA championship, or even FF for several years, if at all.  He could catch lighning in a bottle again, though.     But at worst, he cleans things up and lays the groundwork for somebody who will take them back to a top 5 program.    He did good things at MU.    What he is going through now is karma/punishment enough for how he left.   Let the man be.  

CUSA wasn't/isn't BCS...

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 04:08:38 PM »
CUSA wasn't/isn't BCS...

I believe he was referring to Indiana and the Big Ten.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 04:40:16 PM »

Stop, that's beyond ridiculous on so many levels.  You're hatred again is proving to be absurd.

So Wade was the reason MU got to the final four but Crean was the reason we lost to Kansas. Brilliance.  It's funny how the players on that team don't agree with you, I wonder why.  Go figure.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 05:16:24 PM »
I believe he was referring to Indiana and the Big Ten.

Correct.   Mocking the B10 by calling it a lower level BCS basketball conference.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 05:26:26 PM »
Pat Knight would win 15 games with the team Crean has.  Gene Keady being at Purdue was the only reason DJ came to MU.  Ironically, Wes Mathews, who only flurished under Buzz was the best recruit Crean ever had.  Crean will resign at the end of the next year and become a salesman at Direct TV
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin