* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 05:23:28 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We’ve got the right guy  (Read 8592 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: We’ve got the right guy
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2023, 09:34:20 AM »
Why even have a discussion that addresses Shaka's departure? Just enjoy finally having a coach who has been nothing but positive about his team, the University, the BE, and Milwaukee. Besides, he's been our best coach since Al in every other regard.
I swear some of you dudes would find things to bitch about if you won the fookin' lottery, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2023, 09:39:52 AM »
Why even have a discussion that addresses Shaka's departure? Just enjoy finally having a coach who has been nothing but positive about his team, the University, the BE, and Milwaukee. Besides, he's been our best coach since Al in every other regard.
I swear some of you dudes would find things to bitch about if you won the fookin' lottery, aina?

It's summer and this is a basketball board. You new here?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2023, 09:44:48 AM »
Like Villanova, this is a program that could be brought to borderline blue blood status by the right coach.

I've been saying this for awhile.

It got twisted to, "C'mon, how realistic is it to expect Marquette to win two NCAA titles in three years?" But obviously that's never what I was saying.

Marquette has everything a coach needs to produce a consistent, big-time winner. So did Villanova, but it took Jay Wright (and several seasons of him) to make it happen. Hopefully, Shaka will have a long and storied career, and he'll be celebrated as the leader who restored Marquette to national basketball prominence.

There really is no reason it can happen at a place like Villanova but not Marquette.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Viper

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2023, 12:35:10 PM »
…beat fookin RED, hey. Do it

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2023, 02:52:42 PM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2023, 03:45:01 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2023, 04:01:17 PM »
I respect Shaka and Izzo for not going that way this offseason.   The bigger fear is some NIL group making MU players offers they can't refuse.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2023, 05:33:52 PM »
I respect Shaka and Izzo for not going that way this offseason.   The bigger fear is some NIL group making MU players offers they can't refuse.

That has been the fear since the beginning.  Let’s hope MU big donors are up to the task.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2023, 01:28:30 AM »
I believe MU will lose more top players to the NBA then they will to transfers due to NIL. I have zero concern that MU will be highly competitive in NIL. After next season Shaka will probably will have lost at least three guys to the NBA. I hope that trend continues for a long time.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2023, 06:11:35 AM »
I believe MU will lose more top players to the NBA then they will to transfers due to NIL. I have zero concern that MU will be highly competitive in NIL. After next season Shaka will probably will have lost at least three guys to the NBA. I hope that trend continues for a long time.

Plus 77
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2023, 02:20:02 PM »
I've been saying this for awhile.

It got twisted to, "C'mon, how realistic is it to expect Marquette to win two NCAA titles in three years?" But obviously that's never what I was saying.

Marquette has everything a coach needs to produce a consistent, big-time winner. So did Villanova, but it took Jay Wright (and several seasons of him) to make it happen. Hopefully, Shaka will have a long and storied career, and he'll be celebrated as the leader who restored Marquette to national basketball prominence.

There really is no reason it can happen at a place like Villanova but not Marquette.

Marquette is actually even better positioned to do what Villanova proved can be done.  We spend as much as any program in the country.  Our practice facilities are top notch.  We play in one of the newest and most modern NBA arenas, where we rank in the top 15 in attendance (and I expect that to go up this year).  We’ve got the right coach at the right time, who arrived with the best resume of any hire in our history.  More champions will come out of the Big East…one of them will be us.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2023, 02:36:07 PM »
Marquette is actually even better positioned to do what Villanova proved can be done.  We spend as much as any program in the country.  Our practice facilities are top notch.  We play in one of the newest and most modern NBA arenas, where we rank in the top 15 in attendance (and I expect that to go up this year).  We’ve got the right coach at the right time, who arrived with the best resume of any hire in our history.  More champions will come out of the Big East…one of them will be us.

Preach it, BLW!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2023, 03:28:36 PM »

Shaka is awesome.  He's not as good of a coach as Jay Wright.  And the immediate eligibility of transfers and NIL are variables that Jay did not have to deal with.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2023, 04:56:45 PM »
Shaka is awesome.  He's not as good of a coach as Jay Wright.

I don't think we know this yet.

Shaka was 45 years old during last season. Jay Wright turned 45 in the 06-07 season. At that point in his career Jay had:

220-155 (.587) overall record
55-41 (.573) Big East Record
5 NCAAT appearances (out of 13 seasons) (3 out of 6 since getting to Villanova)
1 Elite 8
1 Sweet 16
3 First Round exits
4 NIT Appearances
2 NIT Quarterfinal Appearances
1 Big East Regular season Championship
0 Big East Tournament Championships
2 America East Regular Season and Tournament Championships

Compare that to Shaka:
320-162 (.706) Overall Record
28-11 (.718) Big East Record/79-67 (.541) Big 12/Big East Record
10 NCAAT Appearances (Out of 13 Seasons) (5 out of 7 since getting to a high major)
1 Final Four
3 Round of 32 Appearances
6 First Round Exits
1 NIT Appearance
1 NIT Championship
1 CBI Championship
1 Big East Regular Season Championship
1 Big East Tournament Championship
1 B12 Tournament Championship
1 A10 Tournament Championship
1 CAA Tournament Championship

Obviously they had different career paths so it's not an apple to apple comparison, but if you're doing blind resumes, I can't say that Jay Wright is the clear choice.

That doesn't mean that Shaka will be better than Jay Wright. 99% of coaches end up falling short of Jay Wright. But I doubt anyone was picking Jay Wright to be as good as he ended up being when he was 45 years old. I'm excited about Shaka's potential and am excited to see just how high he can climb.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2023, 05:51:41 PM »
I think this comparison to Jay Wright is infinitely more credible than the last time people trotted out the argument. 

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2023, 08:51:20 PM »
Great analysis, TAMU. 

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2023, 09:54:52 PM »

Amen Goose...

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2023, 08:57:46 AM »
I think this comparison to Jay Wright is infinitely more credible than the last time people trotted out the argument.

Ahh yes.  The good old days when the Projos suggested Wojo was on a similar trajectory as Jay Wright!

Quite honestly, looking at Shaka's resume versus Jay Wright's, Shaka looks to have performed much better in his first 13 years as an HC.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2023, 10:26:52 AM »
Oh, I thought this was about Homer.

feedback