[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We’ve got the right guy  (Read 7252 times)

DoctorV

• All American
We’ve got the right guy
« on: August 27, 2023, 12:03:43 AM »
Still got a few months to go before the ball is tipped.

This season has expectations like no other.

This coach has a postseason ghost that has crept into the scene.

When it’s all said and done there’s only one thing to remember…

We’ve got the right guy.
I’m Shaka we trust.
Marquette hoops is back.

Now let’s get to the F4

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: We’ve got the right guy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 06:28:10 AM »
Agree with your sentiments.  Let’s go to the final four and get the monkey of MU’s and Shaka’s back and roll for the next decade.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 07:36:26 AM »

We’ve got the right guy.
I’m Shaka we trust.
Marquette hoops is back.

Now let’s get to the F4

Well said Dr.V.  LET'S DO THIS!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 07:39:59 AM »
It would be nice if this is his forever home.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 07:57:33 AM »

I’m Shaka we trust.

"Nothing good happens after midnight"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 08:01:21 AM »
Stupid auto-correct.   

Or was it AI?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 08:28:18 AM »
How's Ben doing?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2023, 08:28:27 AM »
Stupid auto-correct.   

Or was it AI?

I lean toward the "Drunk Shaka" theory

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2023, 08:37:45 AM »
Stupid auto-correct.   

Or was it AI?

Oh c'mon, admit your mistake.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2023, 09:00:12 AM »
How's Ben doing?

FWIW, I was in the lobby at the McGuire Center about 10 days ago. Ben came walking out of one of the inner offices at a pretty brisk pace, pushing a bicycle. He stopped to talk to a young lady and I heard him mention he was getting ready to "ride home". He looked fine and he was laughing and joking. Have no idea if he's basketball ready, though.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2023, 09:02:54 AM »

After his experience at Texas, I’m cautiously optimistic that it will be.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2023, 09:15:03 AM »
I agree that there’s a (very) good chance Shaka is here for the long haul … kinda like Few or Wright at Nova.

Gotta string together a bunch of wins in the NCAAT this year tho.   The postseason
“ ghost “ is getting bigger and bigger.

Go MU !

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2023, 09:22:30 AM »
Oh c'mon, admit your mistake.

Which mistake did I make?   Dr. V had the typo.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2023, 09:30:15 AM »
The only place he’s going is the NBA if someone gives him POBO.

Other than that, he’s gonna hit AARP on the Fiserv sidelines.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2023, 09:43:17 AM »
The only place he’s going is the NBA if someone gives him POBO.

Other than that, he’s gonna hit AARP on the Fiserv sidelines.

AARP. I think this Marquette-Shaka love affair is going to last for a very long time. Can't see a parallel with a pro team.

As Goose pointed out often in the past season, it was a special one. Of all the major teams, Shaka and Marquette proved to be the biggest surprise after being picked 9th in the BE preseason, only ahead of powerhouses Georgetown and DePaul.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2023, 10:03:20 AM »

We’ve got the right guy.
I’m Shaka we trust.
Marquette hoops is back.

Now let’s get to the F4
I’m all for that F4, but could we beat RED, please?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2023, 10:09:05 AM »
I’ve seen too many “lifetime” coaches leave that place to think Shaka will be here for the rest of his career. Just going to enjoy having him here for as long as he will be here.

I’m all for that F4, but could we beat RED, please?

Who cares? Give me last season over Henry Ellenson’s one season here every single time.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2023, 10:10:23 AM »
Stupid auto-correct.   

Or was it AI?

Oh wow. Maybe I am him. No wonder I trust him.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2023, 10:47:24 AM »
FWIW, I was in the lobby at the McGuire Center about 10 days ago. Ben came walking out of one of the inner offices at a pretty brisk pace, pushing a bicycle. He stopped to talk to a young lady and I heard him mention he was getting ready to "ride home". He looked fine and he was laughing and joking. Have no idea if he's basketball ready, though.
How the heck is he going to ride a bike to NZ?

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2023, 10:50:42 AM »

When the NBE was founded some people were saying well, you CAN win a National Championship out of that league. And my thought at the time was yes, maybe once in a blue moon. I was a skeptic and I was wrong. Jay Wright and Hurley proved it. Three Nattys in 10 years.

I think excellent coaches like Shaka are generally looking for 2 things: resources and administrative support in order to recruit and play at the highest level. And a highly visible, highly competitive conference to play in.

Coach Smart has both at Marquette.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2023, 11:21:05 AM »
Which mistake did I make?   Dr. V had the typo.

Nothing good happens when I point fingers at the wrong quote.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2023, 12:25:36 PM »
When the NBE was founded some people were saying well, you CAN win a National Championship out of that league. And my thought at the time was yes, maybe once in a blue moon. I was a skeptic and I was wrong. Jay Wright and Hurley proved it. Three Nattys in 10 years.

I think excellent coaches like Shaka are generally looking for 2 things: resources and administrative support in order to recruit and play at the highest level. And a highly visible, highly competitive conference to play in.

Coach Smart has both at Marquette.

Even more impressively, 3 in 7 years (not counting 2020, when there was no NCAAT due to Covid). Other leagues to win over that span: Big 12 (Kansas 2022, Baylor 2021) and ACC (Virginia 2019, UNC 2017).

Otherwise, I agree with everything you say here. Shaka and Marquette have everything necessary to contend for conference titles and NCAAT runs most years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2023, 12:50:51 PM »
Only caveat is if Duke, Kansas, UCLA or Kentucky open up Shaka should be a top 3 candidate at each school.  Would be hard to say no to any of them.  I would think any of those not backing up the brinks truck for Shaka would be malpractice.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2023, 01:16:52 PM »

Good call, Dog. That is a head scratcher. MKE to LA-----no problem. LA to NZ----tougher.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2023, 05:21:42 PM »

Water bike.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2023, 05:44:13 PM »
Is the 8,000 mile Ocean Train almost ready to go??
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2023, 05:53:17 PM »
Already exists.   But the government doesn't want you to know about it because aliens helped build it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2023, 08:15:16 PM »
Oh wow. Maybe I am him. No wonder I trust him.

Although I still prefer "I am Drunk Shaka"
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 10:12:50 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2023, 06:24:03 AM »
Should have kept the second typo.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2023, 08:40:22 AM »
Should have kept the second typo.

I was cancelled via a text.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2023, 09:20:09 AM »
Anyone who thinks Shaka would leave MU for the job at Duke, Kentucky, UCLA, etc must believe that he learned nothing from his Texas experience. The pressure of coaching basketball at Texas is nothing compared to those places.  I doubt he is inclined to get into another situation like that. Shaka and MU were made for each other.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2023, 09:55:05 AM »

Nothing is guaranteed. But I think this is our best shot of a multiple-decade coach since Al.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2023, 10:00:03 AM »
I fear losing Shaka to early retirement more than anything else. I also think losing him to the NBA is more likely than losing him to a college blue blood
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2023, 10:37:25 AM »
One of the many reasons why I loved the Shaka hire was the NCAA failure at Texas. I 100% believe that is just another motivation factor that will end up playing very well for MU basketball. Last season, I thought Shaka took his intensity up a big amount as the season moved along and that was partly based off his desire to get some wins in March. IMO, that was another learning lesson for a coach that always seems to be making himself a better person and coach.

I fully expect a better March run this season and years to come. That said, I tend to agree with TAMU that Shaka could be a guy to retire earlier than most guys. I am going to sit back and enjoy the ride as long as it lasts.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2023, 10:38:39 AM »
One of the many reasons why I loved the Shaka hire was the NCAA failure at Texas. I 100% believe that is just another motivation factor that will end up playing very well for MU basketball. Last season, I thought Shaka took his intensity up a big amount as the season moved along and that was partly based off his desire to get some wins in March. IMO, that was another learning lesson for a coach that always seems to be making himself a better person and coach.

I fully expect a better March run this season and years to come. That said, I tend to agree with TAMU that Shaka could be a guy to retire earlier than most guys. I am going to sit back and enjoy the ride as long as it lasts.
This and this, especially that last part.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2023, 10:46:30 AM »
Last season, I thought Shaka took his intensity up a big amount as the season moved along and that was partly based off his desire to get some wins in March.

He can be really buttoned up, careful about what he says. Was very much that way his first year.

As last year moved on, the facade started to come down, and some real defiance started to come out. Can't win without the portal? Ninth in the league? UConn owns the Garden? F*ck all that noise.

The celebration after beating Creighton in their gym was incredible, as was the UConn game in the BET. Lost in the fight.

His press conference before the Italy trip just oozed confidence. He's secure where he is, he can build how he wants to, and he knows he's got a damn good team.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2023, 11:10:07 AM »
Anyone who thinks Shaka would leave MU for the job at Duke, Kentucky, UCLA, etc must believe that he learned nothing from his Texas experience. The pressure of coaching basketball at Texas is nothing compared to those places.  I doubt he is inclined to get into another situation like that. Shaka and MU were made for each other.

Yep. Duke, Kentucky and Kansas- can you imagine 5 star, one-and-doners being allowed to show off for pro scouts at the possible expense of the team in Shaka's system and culture? I cannot.

Like Goose said...enjoy the ride as long as it lasts. I think the Marquette/Shaka marriage will last a long time.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2023, 03:30:53 PM »
I fear losing Shaka to early retirement more than anything else. I also think losing him to the NBA is more likely than losing him to a college blue blood

Agree on both counts. It would not surprise me one bit to see him jump to the NBA.

I just hope we get him for at least 10 years.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2023, 03:40:33 PM »
I think Shaka's wheelhouse is the college game.  His whole family/togetherness/team-first themes play way better with the 18-22 college crowd.  He gets to hand pick his guys out of high school for their personalities.  He'd be fighting an uphill battle with many of the "me-first/show me the money" types that would get put on his NBA rosters.  I don't see him voluntarily going for that.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2023, 03:59:38 PM »
I think Shaka's wheelhouse is the college game.  His whole family/togetherness/team-first themes play way better with the 18-22 college crowd.  He gets to hand pick his guys out of high school for their personalities.  He'd be fighting an uphill battle with many of the "me-first/show me the money" types that would get put on his NBA rosters.  I don't see him voluntarily going for that.

Agree totally. But then again, I didn't see the likes of Lon Kruger, Brad Stevens and Kevin O'Neill going to the NBA, either.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2023, 04:37:30 PM »
Is there crossover between the people who think Shaka learned from his time at Texas and doesn't want to deal with one and done types and those that think he could leave for the NBA?

I love him, but I'm not sure how an NBA guy would react to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UUz_4EFuKY

Or to his mottos (Relationships, Growth, Victory, Lost in the fight, etc.).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2023, 04:57:08 PM »
UCLA / Duke / Kansas / UK are all basketball first schools.  That's why they're unique.  You could argue they are MU on steroids.

I think it's remote but if I were them I would call him before almost anyone.   

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2023, 05:42:45 PM »
When I mentioned the NBA, I wasn't suggesting that Shaka would be a good fit or even that I think he is interested in the NBA. My thought process is that Shaka has learned that the grass is not always greener art the bigger college program and besides,  the grass at Marquette is pretty damn green.

I think coaching in the NBA would be a bigger temptation. The grass may not be greener but that's still a chance to coach at the highest level of the sport. That's a different kind of temptation and Id imagine that would be hard to turn down.

But I stand by what I said earlier, I think the biggest "threat" fir Shakas eventual departure is early retirement
TAMU

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2023, 07:30:10 PM »
UCLA / Duke / Kansas / UK are all basketball first schools.  That's why they're unique.  You could argue they are MU on steroids.

This is all true, but these schools already have a defined MO-recruit as many 5-star players as you can and do not worry about them leaving after one year because you can simply reload. Not Shaka's style of coaching and running the program at VCU or Marquette.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2023, 07:38:04 PM »

You could be right. But when K retired at Duke, they could have offered the job to anyone in the country and they stayed in-house with Sheyer. And they've got a loooong line of future candidates in the pipeline. UNC stayed in house after Smith-----Guthridge, Doherty, Williams, Davis. At Kansas, Self is only 61 and unless he croaks on the job he's probably at KU for at least another decade. Mick Cronin at UCLA is fairly young. Kentucky, I don't know. Shaka doesn't strike me as a Kentucky kind of guy. The pressure there is incredibly ridiculous.

But I'm sure the more success he has, the threat will be there.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2023, 08:21:36 PM »
My guess is Shaka is here as long as his off the court side of life does well and his Family continues to thrive in the current setting. MU is committed to doing everything possible on the on the court side of his life 

His wife just published a book in her field of interest, his Mom is nearby, He is tearing down his home and rebuilding, hopefully his daughter is doing well in school and has lots of friends. I think those are the things that matter.

Here is a video from last year when Mrs. Smart released her new book. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/author-maya-payne-smart-on-literacy-guide-for-parents/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2023, 09:10:48 PM »
"Nothing good happens after midnight"

1975 Marquette vs. USSR tipped at 12:01 am. Killed them.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2023, 06:12:30 AM »
I think TAMU's early retirement is the leader in the clubhouse.  I'm merely pointing out that the only considerations for leaving would be POBO or Duke / UCLA / Kansas / UK.

Stop and think about that.  It's pretty incredible.  65 power schools and only 4 "might" have a chance.  And the NBA would need to offer him complete control. 

Rarified air.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2023, 09:05:26 AM »
Is there crossover between the people who think Shaka learned from his time at Texas and doesn't want to deal with one and done types and those that think he could leave for the NBA?

I love him, but I'm not sure how an NBA guy would react to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UUz_4EFuKY

Or to his mottos (Relationships, Growth, Victory, Lost in the fight, etc.).

Shaka would do fine in the in NBA. He would adjust his message and coaching to the audience. He would obviously do things differently than he did at VCU. Doesn't mean he wasn't sincere in college, it just means he would tailor it to the audience.

He's a smart guy and a great coach. He'd do great anywhere.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2023, 09:17:50 AM »
He's a smart guy and a great coach. He'd do great anywhere.

While I think the former is true, Texas fans would obviously disagree. I do think coaching is largely a matter of position and fit. VCU was a great fit for Shaka, so is Marquette. Texas wasn't, and I'm not sure a blue blood would be either. Had he landed at a Georgetown I think it would've went great, or honestly just about anywhere in the Big East.

As far as football schools, I think there are some where he would fit in. Kansas State or Oklahoma State might be good fits, where they care about basketball but don't have the microscope of a Texas/Kansas type job. I could also see him at Mizzou or Virginia, both proud basketball programs but a step away from blue bloods. In terms of perceived marquee type jobs, the only two that I could really see are Louisville or Indiana. Louisville has amazing history but lives enough in Kentucky's shadow that I don't think it's quite as crazy as Lexington while Indiana is so talent-rich with guys you can develop that I think Shaka could really thrive in that environment, interestingly enough in ways Crean never could.

But my hope is he's happy here and keeps building us into a cultural powerhouse. I think this is a unique period where programs that are able to have continuity are going to thrive as everyone else chases shiny objects. We've already seen how Villanova, UNC, UVA, and others have won by getting established guys into the system, and the more movement there is, the more valuable continuity will be. Like Villanova, this is a program that could be brought to borderline blue blood status by the right coach. Al did it in the 1970s and while we're decades removed from that, the passion and dedication is still here that it could happen again.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2023, 09:34:20 AM »
Why even have a discussion that addresses Shaka's departure? Just enjoy finally having a coach who has been nothing but positive about his team, the University, the BE, and Milwaukee. Besides, he's been our best coach since Al in every other regard.
I swear some of you dudes would find things to bitch about if you won the fookin' lottery, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2023, 09:39:52 AM »
Why even have a discussion that addresses Shaka's departure? Just enjoy finally having a coach who has been nothing but positive about his team, the University, the BE, and Milwaukee. Besides, he's been our best coach since Al in every other regard.
I swear some of you dudes would find things to bitch about if you won the fookin' lottery, aina?

It's summer and this is a basketball board. You new here?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2023, 09:44:48 AM »
Like Villanova, this is a program that could be brought to borderline blue blood status by the right coach.

I've been saying this for awhile.

It got twisted to, "C'mon, how realistic is it to expect Marquette to win two NCAA titles in three years?" But obviously that's never what I was saying.

Marquette has everything a coach needs to produce a consistent, big-time winner. So did Villanova, but it took Jay Wright (and several seasons of him) to make it happen. Hopefully, Shaka will have a long and storied career, and he'll be celebrated as the leader who restored Marquette to national basketball prominence.

There really is no reason it can happen at a place like Villanova but not Marquette.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2023, 12:35:10 PM »
…beat fookin RED, hey. Do it

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2023, 02:52:42 PM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2023, 03:45:01 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2023, 04:01:17 PM »
I respect Shaka and Izzo for not going that way this offseason.   The bigger fear is some NIL group making MU players offers they can't refuse.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2023, 05:33:52 PM »
I respect Shaka and Izzo for not going that way this offseason.   The bigger fear is some NIL group making MU players offers they can't refuse.

That has been the fear since the beginning.  Let’s hope MU big donors are up to the task.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2023, 01:28:30 AM »
I believe MU will lose more top players to the NBA then they will to transfers due to NIL. I have zero concern that MU will be highly competitive in NIL. After next season Shaka will probably will have lost at least three guys to the NBA. I hope that trend continues for a long time.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2023, 06:11:35 AM »
I believe MU will lose more top players to the NBA then they will to transfers due to NIL. I have zero concern that MU will be highly competitive in NIL. After next season Shaka will probably will have lost at least three guys to the NBA. I hope that trend continues for a long time.

Plus 77

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2023, 02:20:02 PM »
I've been saying this for awhile.

It got twisted to, "C'mon, how realistic is it to expect Marquette to win two NCAA titles in three years?" But obviously that's never what I was saying.

Marquette has everything a coach needs to produce a consistent, big-time winner. So did Villanova, but it took Jay Wright (and several seasons of him) to make it happen. Hopefully, Shaka will have a long and storied career, and he'll be celebrated as the leader who restored Marquette to national basketball prominence.

There really is no reason it can happen at a place like Villanova but not Marquette.

Marquette is actually even better positioned to do what Villanova proved can be done.  We spend as much as any program in the country.  Our practice facilities are top notch.  We play in one of the newest and most modern NBA arenas, where we rank in the top 15 in attendance (and I expect that to go up this year).  We’ve got the right coach at the right time, who arrived with the best resume of any hire in our history.  More champions will come out of the Big East…one of them will be us.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2023, 02:36:07 PM »
Marquette is actually even better positioned to do what Villanova proved can be done.  We spend as much as any program in the country.  Our practice facilities are top notch.  We play in one of the newest and most modern NBA arenas, where we rank in the top 15 in attendance (and I expect that to go up this year).  We’ve got the right coach at the right time, who arrived with the best resume of any hire in our history.  More champions will come out of the Big East…one of them will be us.

Preach it, BLW!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2023, 03:28:36 PM »

Shaka is awesome.  He's not as good of a coach as Jay Wright.  And the immediate eligibility of transfers and NIL are variables that Jay did not have to deal with.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2023, 04:56:45 PM »
Shaka is awesome.  He's not as good of a coach as Jay Wright.

I don't think we know this yet.

Shaka was 45 years old during last season. Jay Wright turned 45 in the 06-07 season. At that point in his career Jay had:

220-155 (.587) overall record
55-41 (.573) Big East Record
5 NCAAT appearances (out of 13 seasons) (3 out of 6 since getting to Villanova)
1 Elite 8
1 Sweet 16
3 First Round exits
4 NIT Appearances
2 NIT Quarterfinal Appearances
1 Big East Regular season Championship
0 Big East Tournament Championships
2 America East Regular Season and Tournament Championships

Compare that to Shaka:
320-162 (.706) Overall Record
28-11 (.718) Big East Record/79-67 (.541) Big 12/Big East Record
10 NCAAT Appearances (Out of 13 Seasons) (5 out of 7 since getting to a high major)
1 Final Four
3 Round of 32 Appearances
6 First Round Exits
1 NIT Appearance
1 NIT Championship
1 CBI Championship
1 Big East Regular Season Championship
1 Big East Tournament Championship
1 B12 Tournament Championship
1 A10 Tournament Championship
1 CAA Tournament Championship

Obviously they had different career paths so it's not an apple to apple comparison, but if you're doing blind resumes, I can't say that Jay Wright is the clear choice.

That doesn't mean that Shaka will be better than Jay Wright. 99% of coaches end up falling short of Jay Wright. But I doubt anyone was picking Jay Wright to be as good as he ended up being when he was 45 years old. I'm excited about Shaka's potential and am excited to see just how high he can climb.
TAMU

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2023, 05:51:41 PM »
I think this comparison to Jay Wright is infinitely more credible than the last time people trotted out the argument. 

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2023, 08:51:20 PM »
Great analysis, TAMU. 

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2023, 09:54:52 PM »

Amen Goose...

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2023, 08:57:46 AM »
I think this comparison to Jay Wright is infinitely more credible than the last time people trotted out the argument.

Ahh yes.  The good old days when the Projos suggested Wojo was on a similar trajectory as Jay Wright!

Quite honestly, looking at Shaka's resume versus Jay Wright's, Shaka looks to have performed much better in his first 13 years as an HC.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2023, 10:26:52 AM »
Oh, I thought this was about Homer.