[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by brewcity77
[Today at 04:24:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Most Disappointing MU Recruits Ever  (Read 11932 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Most Disappointing MU Recruits Ever
« on: August 10, 2023, 01:31:01 PM »
After reading the listings of the Most Important MU recruits ever, I couldn't resist. I began thinking about who the most disappointing MU recruits ever were. I'm really curious what everyone else thinks, but I'll start and put mine together.

1) Joey Hauser -- Enough said. We were thought to be a Top 10 and maybe Top 5 team when Joey wrote his letter. Everything went up in smoke, including Wojo's career. The Baby Hauser always will be Number 1.

2) Lloyd "Chocolate Moose" Moore -- The Moose was a highly regarded center and heavily recruited. Showed up on campus with an extra caboose and a lot more weight. Wrecked his knee and went adios.

3) Tony Reeder -- Bob Dukiet's only notable recruit. Never panned out and as I recall got into off the court troubles. Dropped out.

4) Henry Ellenson -- A great recruit but one of the most undisciplined players I ever saw. Ellenson read his press clippings too much and played for himself rather than the team. Wojo probably should have been fired for failing to coach Ellenson. Probably good he was gone after a year but boy this was a talented player.

5) Bernard Toone -- McGuire once called him "wasted talent." Was a guy you could build a team around but really never showed it. incredibly talented and should have replaced Bo Ellis as a leader on our team in 1978. One year in the NBA for that level of talent was truly disappointing.

Honorable mentions: Theo John (with that body, he should have been a lot more than he was), Dawson Garcia (probably overrated coming in) and Mark Marotta (though contributed heavily to Marquette and Milwaukee off the court).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 01:41:26 PM by dgies9156 »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: Most Disappointing MU Recruits Ever
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 01:39:59 PM »
Lloyd Moore, big (really big) guy out of Pittsburgh in the mid 80’s.

Keith Stewart- from Messmer and transferred from Purdue after one year after KO took over.  A lot of talent, but time at MU was brief and very forgettable. Not even sure where he ended up post MU. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 01:47:01 PM »
Bernard as a senior averaged 18 points and 6 rebounds, yes we all thought he was going to be better, but still was pretty good. Did not have the killer instinct, also had 18 points against Wake Forest and play well in the championship game. There was worse than him.  Hype was out of hand

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 01:49:13 PM »
Reeder was a Majerus guy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 01:49:23 PM »
Juan Anderson and JaJuan Johnson.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 01:49:29 PM »
Can we count LeDarryl as a recruit?

I would say two that come to mind are:

Amo & Dameon Mason

Never lived to the hype and forced MU to go all in Wes, Dom & Jerel.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 01:54:13 PM »
2) Lloyd "Chocolate Moose" Moore -- The Moose was a highly regarded center and heavily recruited. Showed up on campus with an extra caboose and a lot more weight. Wrecked his knee and went adios.

I'll meet you outside, dog.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 01:54:48 PM »
Joey Hauser?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2023, 02:12:14 PM »
I'll meet you outside, dog.

You bringing the donuts?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 02:16:09 PM »
After reading the listings of the Most Important MU recruits ever, I couldn't resist. I began thinking about who the most disappointing MU recruits ever were. I'm really curious what everyone else thinks, but I'll start and put mine together.

1) Joey Hauser -- Enough said. We were thought to be a Top 10 and maybe Top 5 team when Joey wrote his letter. Everything went up in smoke, including Wojo's career. The Baby Hauser always will be Number 1.

3) Tony Reeder -- Bob Dukiet's only notable recruit. Never panned out and as I recall got into off the court troubles. Dropped out.

4) Henry Ellenson -- A great recruit but one of the most undisciplined players I ever saw. Ellenson read his press clippings too much and played for himself rather than the team. Wojo probably should have been fired for failing to coach Ellenson. Probably good he was gone after a year but boy this was a talented player.

5) Bernard Toone -- McGuire once called him "wasted talent." Was a guy you could build a team around but really never showed it. incredibly talented and should have replaced Bo Ellis as a leader on our team in 1978. One year in the NBA for that level of talent was truly disappointing.

Honorable mentions: Theo John (with that body, he should have been a lot more than he was), Dawson Garcia (probably overrated coming in) and Mark Marotta (though contributed heavily to Marquette and Milwaukee off the court).

Calling a lottery pick who lead the team in points and rebounds as a freshman "disappointing" is pretty funny, tbh.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2023, 02:17:38 PM »
Scooter and Rodney McCray.  Disappointed MU and Louisville.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2023, 02:21:18 PM »
Terry Reason.

California player of the year that ended up being a big nothing.  Also, had a really bad haircut that earned him the nickname "Helmet Head".
Have some patience, FFS.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2023, 02:36:40 PM »

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2023, 02:57:46 PM »
Lloyd Moore, big (really big) guy out of Pittsburgh in the mid 80’s.

Keith Stewart- from Messmer and transferred from Purdue after one year after KO took over.  A lot of talent, but time at MU was brief and very forgettable. Not even sure where he ended up post MU.

During the Lloyd Moore era, I was using my alumni privileges to be a member at the MU Rec Center. Often parked near 17th and Wisconsin. In those days there used to be a a Cousins Sub on the northeast corner of 17th and Wisconsin ( now McCabe Hall I think). I recall freshman Lloyd Moore coming to Marquette all the rage at the time among BB fans. About the 2nd week of school in September that year, I stopped at Cousins one evening after my stint at the Rec Center. There was poor Lloyd working on not one, but 2, full cheese steaks. Those suckers were HUGE and I always had all I could do to finish one. I knew right then and there which direction Lloyd's career was headed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2023, 03:03:37 PM »
Joey
Maymon
Mbao - some 7 footer who had allegedly played professional basketball.  Turned out Buzz had to teach him simply how to do jumping jacks in front of an inbounder in end of game situations.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2023, 03:03:45 PM »
+1 for Ellenson. The hype around him was so crazy. We didn't even make the NCAA tournament the year he was here (not that it was all his fault).

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2023, 03:08:21 PM »
lloyd Moore would be very high on my most disappointing recruits ever. This a tough topic because IMO it needs to be a highly recruited guy that did not meet expectations. Of the top of my head Kerry Trotter is someone that I thought was disappointing as a MU player. Had a very nice game and great guy, but not a program changer I was hoping for when he announced MU.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2023, 03:15:04 PM »
Shannon Smith has to be up there

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2023, 03:18:21 PM »
He wasn't ranked high, but there was tons of buildup around James "Manchild" Matthews. Ended up never playing a game at Marquette and transferred out after one semester.

Do transfers count, or is that for an upcoming separate thread?
If so, Keith Stewart hands down. Local kid, transferred in from Purdue with tons of hype and played only about five games before O'Neill kicked him out of the program.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2023, 03:19:03 PM »
lloyd Moore would be very high on my most disappointing recruits ever. This a tough topic because IMO it needs to be a highly recruited guy that did not meet expectations. Of the top of my head Kerry Trotter is someone that I thought was disappointing as a MU player. Had a very nice game and great guy, but not a program changer I was hoping for when he announced MU.

Goose, he scored 1221 points for MU, 32nd best.  You are tough on him!

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2023, 03:19:37 PM »
Walter Downing
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2023, 03:20:22 PM »
Recently, what happened with McKay & Deonte hurt my soul
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2023, 03:21:36 PM »
JayBee

I loved both of those guys A LOT. Those are big disappointments in another way.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2023, 03:22:01 PM »
How about, Tony Davis and Larry Hatchett, those two never played at all!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2023, 03:23:05 PM »
BC

I did not have high hopes for those guys.

feedback