[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This Board Is Not Melting Down After UWGB Loss, Have We All Really Given Up  (Read 25021 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Usually after a lost I have to avoid this board for up to 24 hours as the meltdowns here can be legendary.

Not tonight.  This worries me.  Have we all really given up thinking this is a NIT team?  Or, am I misreading the reaction to tonight's loss?

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
Probably because this team just isn't great without Mayo. It will be interesting to see his impact once he returns.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Maybe we're growing up and realizing that bad as this may be, it's still just one game.

We'll beat LSU Saturday. We'll be in the NCAAs in March. I always expected this game to be tough. 6 of Green Bay's 7 losses came away from the Resch. I still think that if Brown plays to form they'll be a strong contender for the Horizon title.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfan12

• All American
Maybe we're growing up and realizing that bad as this may be, it's still just one game.

We'll beat LSU Saturday. We'll be in the NCAAs in March. I always expected this game to be tough. 6 of Green Bay's 7 losses came away from the Resch. I still think that if Brown plays to form they'll be a strong contender for the Horizon title.

LSU is longer and more athletic. And you know they'll play zone. Get ready for more ugly.

This team will have to claw to finish in the top half of the conference.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Usually after a lost I have to avoid this board for up to 24 hours as the meltdowns here can be legendary.

Not tonight.  This worries me.  Have we all really given up thinking this is a NIT team?  Or, am I misreading the reaction to tonight's loss?

I'm with Brew.  I think that maybe, just maybe, we've given up meltdowns.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Hopefully people have realized every year we have crappy losses.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
most people are distracted by SnowMAYANgeddon

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Newsflash:

MU is going to win a couple games they should probably lose.

MU is going to lose a couple of games they should probably win.

This is college basketball.

AirPunches

• All American
I'm really upset they lost but ill give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was just a bad/fluke game. We have to remember that three of the starters that started tonight were key parts to getting MU to 2 straight sweet sixteens. Ill give em a break on this one.

Norm

• All American
If they lose to LSU then it is panic time, because they are looking like a bottom half Big East team so far this year. Maybe we are just due for a down year after making 7 NCAAs in a row.

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: This Board Is Not Melting Down After UWGB Loss, Have We All Really Given Up
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 10:53:38 PM »
I think the whole conference business is throwing things off.

Hey, at least we didn't lose on National Television!

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 10:57:27 PM »
Newsflash:

MU is going to win a couple games they should probably lose.

MU is going to lose a couple of games they should probably win.

This is college basketball.

Done and done.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 11:06:37 PM »
This simply is not a very good Marquette team.

Some folks I really respect here have said many times that they think this might be the most talented team we've had in years. Sorry, but those folks are wrong.

We are not strong enough at point guard, not consistent enough at several other positions and cannot shoot well enough ... period. You have to hit shots to beat a zone. You have to hit shots to win games.

I'd love to believe we are an NCAA tourney team but I don't know what anybody has seen so far to suggest we are one. We haven't beaten anybody, we lost to the best team on our schedule by a gazillion points and we lost to a 3-7 team in our big "road test."

Panicking? Please. Teams ebb and flow. Even "legacy" programs like UNC and UCLA and Indiana have down years. I love our recruiting class coming in next season. I'm not panicking, just being realistic based on all the evidence the Warrior Eagles have presented.

If calmly stating the facts qualifies as a meltdown, then I guess I plead guilty.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 11:21:18 PM »

I hope you are right, but I have some considerable doubts right now.  Two games now where we can't break 50 points.  That's Kevin O'Neilesque.  

We're 114th in the nation in scoring and 137th in rebounding.  There are moments we'll look pretty good, but it's hard for me to pinpoint a player that you can count on to be there every game or even 80%.  Was hoping that was Vander, maybe it still is.  Guards, in my view, are what drives success in college basketball and we don't have consistently good guards.  When those guys play well, we do pretty well.  Unfortunately inconsistent.  0-2 on the road and 2-3 overall away from the BC might be something to keep an eye on as well.

The SELA game still bothers me.  I couldn't believe how much we struggled in that game.  They are currently sitting at 1-8.   That was a 2 point game with 4 minutes to go.

LSU is 7-1, but not exactly killer schedule.  Need to win that game or the concern becomes much more real.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:41:14 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

augoman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 12:26:40 AM »
Chicos (by the way nice to have you back) I agree.  I think this just isn't the best combination of talents that we've had in a while.  Some of the necessary parts are there, but lacking the glue, go-to-guy, 3 pt shooter, 'maurice acker fast' guard, etc.  With one of those guys we'd probably have prevailed.  Also have to credit Brian Wardle for a great game plan and coaching job.  Pretty disappointed, wonder if some overlooked uw at gb, took them too lightly.  Oh well, tomorrow's another snoday.

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 01:15:58 AM »
okay, as a recent graduate of 2012, I have yet to see Buzz lose to a team that he had no business losing too.  This is probably the first loss to a non power conference team at home in Buzz's tenure, Crean lost many of these games.  Im not worried, it was just a matter of time before this team lost to a team they should have beaten.  Lets all move on, and focus on the Big East Schedule.   

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 06:02:48 AM »
Here's news:

This team is not goin' to suddenly improve with the addition of Mayo. Fact is they are seriously devoid of talent in the senior class.
What's most disturbing is Buzz said they had a terrific practice on Tues. Then, they let GB dictate the tempo and take the game to 'em.
We'll find out this season how good of a coach Buzz is.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 06:17:59 AM »
okay, as a recent graduate of 2012, I have yet to see Buzz lose to a team that he had no business losing too.  This is probably the first loss to a non power conference team at home in Buzz's tenure, Crean lost many of these games.  Im not worried, it was just a matter of time before this team lost to a team they should have beaten.  Lets all move on, and focus on the Big East Schedule.   

2 questions...

1) If you graduated in '12, don't you remember the loss to DePaul, a team we had even less business losing to in 2010? That was less than 3 years ago.

2) Since when is the Resch Center home?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 06:37:10 AM »
Nothing this team does will surprise me. The conference stuff is bigger to me than the UWGB game by a mile. The new conference will have more bearing on the future than this loss. I had even forgot how mad I was the last time they beat us, so I will get over last night quickly.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 06:51:48 AM »
Embarrassing.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • βœ… Verified Member
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 07:18:15 AM »
I think its because only 15 people could find the game on tv.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 07:42:34 AM »
Credit Coach Brian Wardle for outcoaching Buzz.  Credit the UWGB guards for out playing our guards.  Credit the UWGB defense for sagging to contain Garnder.

What did we learn... we are not a good shooting team period.  We need Wilson and Blue to be assertive for the whole game.  Otule is simply not the same player that he was before the injury last year.  He's just not that good.  Thomas reminds us of the Packers' Crosby 'cause he can't buy a goal.  Lockett is not the answer and not as good as Mayo.  We definitely need Mayo.  The bottom line is that we need to score more period.  We will not win much if we can't shoot period.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 07:55:06 AM »
Again, let's consult Chiclet's list (maroon yet to occur):

Season checklist
(x) Non-conference near-miss against inferior opponent (provisional X--didn't happen this year, or Butler??)
(x) Non-conference stinker to inferior opponent (UWGB)
(x) Non-conference loss on big stage convinces board MU not ready for Big East (@Florida, MU Avenue crawls out of his doom bunker to concern troll)
( ) Unmentionable conference loss
( ) Road Game we weren't supposed to win
( ) Late surge
( ) Top-half Big East Finish

macman320

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 08:07:58 AM »
I'm really upset they lost but ill give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was just a bad/fluke game. We have to remember that three of the starters that started tonight were key parts to getting MU to 2 straight sweet sixteens. Ill give em a break on this one.

I said the same thing after Wade and Jackson left. Some players are really hard to replace.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 08:11:14 AM »
Here's news:

This team is not goin' to suddenly improve with the addition of Mayo.

Yeah, I mean he adds a dimension, but the idea that he is the key between an average and good season is a little misplaced.

feedback