[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Mandalorian *Spoilers*  (Read 10127 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: The Mandalorian *Spoilers*
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2021, 05:01:10 PM »
Was it anti Semitic so more of a major false equivalency? Either way it's semantics and she had to go, surprised it took this long tbh. But I agree I thought she was great at the role.

Yet they have had no issue with Pedro Pascal being reckless on Twitter as well.

I agree that it’s not anti-Semitic, but it’s still dumb and regardless, you should know table stakes by this point.

It’s gotta be a brutal time to be a PR rep.  I’m shocked more actors don’t just have the sterile promotional social media feeds.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2021, 07:48:33 PM »
It would be really fun if they killed off her character with a Jewish Space Laser!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2021, 06:20:24 AM »
Yet they have had no issue with Pedro Pascal being reckless on Twitter as well.

I agree that it’s not anti-Semitic, but it’s still dumb and regardless, you should know table stakes by this point.

It’s gotta be a brutal time to be a PR rep.  I’m shocked more actors don’t just have the sterile promotional social media feeds.

Ah, you mean the one tweet that compared one concentration camp to another?  Would it have been more apropos if it was a Japanese "Internment" camp?

What a stupid false equivalency you're trying to make here.  You're better than this.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2021, 09:09:02 AM »
Ah, you mean the one tweet that compared one concentration camp to another?  Would it have been more apropos if it was a Japanese "Internment" camp?

What a stupid false equivalency you're trying to make here.  You're better than this.

Using pictures that weren’t even recent? Its not a stupid false equivalency, it’s selective enforcement based on what you agree with.  I literally just said what she said was stupid and dumb.  But yes, unless the US is actively gassing, starving, working to death or just outright killing immigrants in border detention facilities, comparing it to a Nazi concentration camp is pretty gross.  Let’s maybe just not compare stuff we don’t agree with to modern history’s greatest atrocity. 

He shouldn’t be canned because it was a collection of stuff that got Carano tossed, but giving a free pass to hypocrisy cause Trump is a POS is also stupid

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2021, 09:17:05 AM »
Are we referring to his tweet showing: losers in... and it shows the confederate flag then nazi then maga hat?
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2021, 09:19:46 AM »
Are we referring to his tweet showing: losers in... and it shows the confederate flag then nazi then maga hat?

Nah, this one

https://twitter.com/PedroPascal1/status/1009572721548595201?s=20

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2021, 09:24:27 AM »
Nah, this one

https://twitter.com/PedroPascal1/status/1009572721548595201?s=20

Got it. I mean it's definitely a poor comparison but it's hardly on par with Careno's constant pushing the envelope. And we don't know what was said behind closed doors so it's difficult to stand by "they don't have a problem with it"
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2021, 09:42:37 AM »
Got it. I mean it's definitely a poor comparison but it's hardly on par with Careno's constant pushing the envelope. And we don't know what was said behind closed doors so it's difficult to stand by "they don't have a problem with it"

Oh i agree. Which is why I said I get why she got cut.  It was a repeated pattern of behavior. It’s just amusing that the vast majority of people who were outraged by her,  and are cheering her dismissal, see nothing wrong with a poor or gross comparison from someone else on the show cause it more fits with their worldview, and they would likely applaud it.  It’s just the nature of the internet these days

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2021, 09:48:53 AM »
Oh i agree. Which is why I said I get why she got cut.  It was a repeated pattern of behavior. It’s just amusing that the vast majority of people who were outraged by her,  and are cheering her dismissal, see nothing wrong with a poor or gross comparison from someone else on the show cause it more fits with their worldview, and they would likely applaud it.  It’s just the nature of the internet these days

Well I think it also depends on what the intent of the comparisons is. One way or another children in cages like that is terrible optics. Gina was essentially saying a group that is not marginalized at all unless they something stupid on Twitter and get banned (the horror!) is equal to the worst atrocity in recent history.

I think it's easy to figure out Disney's logic:

false equivelency but good intentions pointing out a humanitarian issue = Ok but think through your actions

False equivelency selfishly pointing out that social media doesn't let you be an A$s and that the country is rounding up seditionists after repeated warnings = "you're fired"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2021, 10:34:17 AM »
Oh i agree. Which is why I said I get why she got cut.  It was a repeated pattern of behavior. It’s just amusing that the vast majority of people who were outraged by her,  and are cheering her dismissal, nothing wrong with a poor or gross comparison from someone else on the show cause it more fits with their worldview, and they would likely applaud it.  It’s just the nature of the internet these days

You are equating a purposeful distillation of multiple provably false conspiracy theories with one clumsy tweet?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2021, 10:49:37 AM »

No, you were trying to justify her behavior (or decry 'cancel culture') by bringing up his.  Thereby drawing a false equivalency.  If he had shown a picture of Americans in the Japanese Internment camps would it have been okay with you? 

You're just decrying someone being held accountable for her actions by drawing a comparison to her coworker which isn't comparable.  If it WERE comparable, she'd have been fired for her initial comments long ago and so would he. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2021, 11:04:24 AM »
No, you were trying to justify her behavior (or decry 'cancel culture') by bringing up his.  Thereby drawing a false equivalency.  If he had shown a picture of Americans in the Japanese Internment camps would it have been okay with you? 

You're just decrying someone being held accountable for her actions by drawing a comparison to her coworker which isn't comparable.  If it WERE comparable, she'd have been fired for her initial comments long ago and so would he.

Where did I justify her behavior? By saying it wasn’t anti-Semitic? Cause it wasn’t.  I literally said multiple times where I get why she was fired and should have been.  She had been stupidly running her mouth for a long time, most of which was worse than the final straw.

And no, interment camps wouldn’t have been good either, cause border detainment isn’t rounding up people already legally in this country (the majority of whom were actually US citizens) and focusing on a single demographic group.  Maybe if those detention facilities were only Mexicans and were also filled with a Mexican family that owned a restaurant in Dallas, a Mexican man who worked in an office in Phoenix, and some, assorted other legal Mexican American US citizens from New Mexican and Southern California.

You can have your views on immigration and Border Patrol (again, I probably align much closer with his viewpoint than the far other side) without needing to parallel it with gross historical crimes against humanity.  Things can be bad and/or wrong without needing to be aligned with grand atrocities.

He made stupid and (as someone who is engaged to a Jewish woman who lost family in the Holocaust) and gross comparisons to prove a point, but social media (if not his employers, but maybe he was reprimanded behind close doors) didn’t care.  And still doesn’t apparently.  To me, equating things that are nothing close to or near something like the Holocaust and concentration camps only seeks to diminish how ghastly and evil they were.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2021, 11:08:33 AM »
So it's not Disney you're upset at it's social media? Like Twitter specifically or the mob of people? I mean I'm sure if I scrolled through I could find a large contingent of people who say "both are bad but come in this is a poor comparison" but beyond them I've found that people are idiots, especially on social media (hence why I removed myself), so it may not be the best route to be upset the most didn't cancel him over a false equivalency
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2021, 11:33:01 AM »
So it's not Disney you're upset at it's social media? Like Twitter specifically or the mob of people? I mean I'm sure if I scrolled through I could find a large contingent of people who say "both are bad but come in this is a poor comparison" but beyond them I've found that people are idiots, especially on social media (hence why I removed myself), so it may not be the best route to be upset the most didn't cancel him over a false equivalency

If not for social media, I don’t think Disney moves to fire.  If you disagree, fair enough.  That’s what I mean.  It’s just the general sentiment of things.  Unless it’s a clearly stupid overreaction meant to curry favor, I usually don’t fault the companies in situations like this, regardless if I agree with the outrage or not.  They have to make shrewd decisions to not affect their viewership

And it’s not just “stop reading Twitter”,  because ground swells begin on Twitter, or Tik Tok, or IG, and then get picked up by other news sources and that’s what leads to campaigns or whatnot.  But we don’t need to get further into it, that’s a whole different conversation.  I’ve said my piece

Pascal is a fantastic actor. I’ve loved him in pretty much everything he’s done the last 5 years,  seems like a genuinely good guy as well.  Just don’t compare stuff to the Holocaust, Pedro, then we’re good.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2021, 11:39:04 AM »
Where did I justify her behavior? By saying it wasn’t anti-Semitic? Cause it wasn’t.  I literally said multiple times where I get why she was fired and should have been.  She had been stupidly running her mouth for a long time, most of which was worse than the final straw.

And no, interment camps wouldn’t have been good either, cause border detainment isn’t rounding up people already legally in this country (the majority of whom were actually US citizens) and focusing on a single demographic group.  Maybe if those detention facilities were only Mexicans and were also filled with a Mexican family that owned a restaurant in Dallas, a Mexican man who worked in an office in Phoenix, and some, assorted other legal Mexican American US citizens from New Mexican and Southern California.

You can have your views on immigration and Border Patrol (again, I probably align much closer with his viewpoint than the far other side) without needing to parallel it with gross historical crimes against humanity.  Things can be bad and/or wrong without needing to be aligned with grand atrocities.

He made stupid and (as someone who is engaged to a Jewish woman who lost family in the Holocaust) and gross comparisons to prove a point, but social media (if not his employers, but maybe he was reprimanded behind close doors) didn’t care.  And still doesn’t apparently.  To me, equating things that are nothing close to or near something like the Holocaust and concentration camps only seeks to diminish how ghastly and evil they were.

Sorry, I should have said equate her behavior, not justify.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2021, 05:32:54 PM »
So, I've read that one of the issues was her refusal to use "pronouns" in her social media profiles and that got her labeled as "transphobic."  Is that legit?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2021, 09:05:52 PM »
So, I've read that one of the issues was her refusal to use "pronouns" in her social media profiles and that got her labeled as "transphobic."  Is that legit?

I think the issue is that she poked fun at people who include their pronouns in their social media.  She added "beep/bop/boop" as her pronouns.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2021, 01:06:02 PM »
I think the issue is that she poked fun at people who include their pronouns in their social media.  She added "beep/bop/boop" as her pronouns.

My understanding is that she was pushing back on people who attacked her for not having pronouns in her bio. It must be nice for people whose only issue in life is whether others lost their pronouns. SMH.

Just more virtu signaling. i
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2021, 01:54:55 PM »
My understanding is that she was pushing back on people who attacked her for not having pronouns in her bio. It must be nice for people whose only issue in life is whether others lost their pronouns. SMH.

Your understanding is wrong and the condescension is misplaced. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2021, 03:43:27 PM »

Nope.  Also her costar has a trans sister.  It would have been fine if she said she wasn't going to add her pronouns to her profile since that is her decision.  But adding what she did was clearly to make fun of people who use them to identify.  Why not just be a decent person and say you aren't participating? 

feedback