collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The NBA  (Read 21973 times)

wadesworld

• All American
The NBA
« on: April 23, 2013, 07:27:51 PM »
What a joke it is.  LeBron James legitimately just received a technical foul and had it taken away by convincing a referee he was yelling at himself.  I have never in my entire life heard of a call being overturned because a player convinced a referee to overturn a call.  He either said, "Do you know who I am?!  I'm LeBron James!" and the ref said, "Oh, sh!t!  No technical foul!"  Or he said, "I'm the NBA MVP, I call my own fouls!" and the ref said, "Oh, my bad!"

I really couldn't care much less.  The Bucks are going to get swept regardless of whether they get the benefit of the calls or not.  But seriously, as if LeBron needs any help from the referees, the fact that he legitimately can call his own fouls and gets whatever calls he wants whenever he wants them makes it absolutely impossible to stop him.

As if the NBA wasn't already a complete joke and didn't give as much star treatment as you possibly can, that was absolutely insane.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
Re: The NBA
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 07:41:27 PM »
I've seen technicals rescinded before.

And IMO the NBA playoffs is much, much, MUCH better basketball than the NCAAs...I just have a strong rooting interest in college basketball and not the NBA.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 08:07:57 PM »
The NBA is the WWE of basketball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 08:08:20 PM »
I've seen technicals rescinded before.

And IMO the NBA playoffs is much, much, MUCH better basketball than the NCAAs...I just have a strong rooting interest in college basketball and not the NBA.

No need to add the IMO.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 08:14:20 PM »
The NBA is the WWE of basketball.

The most entertaining?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 08:17:05 PM »
The difference between the NBA and the NCAA is the same as the Brewers and the Timber Rattlers.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 09:44:51 PM »
How can you say the NBA is better than the NCAA? NCAA is way more entertaining. The NBA is such a joke of a league.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 10:05:48 PM »
How can you say the NBA is better than the NCAA? NCAA is way more entertaining. The NBA is such a joke of a league.

It's better basketball? The NCAA can be and is entertaining, but you are being entertained by inferior basketball play.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
The on-court product in the NBA is better than college, and it's not close.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 11:05:15 PM »

Very true, its just that the crapshoot element is gone and its rare that the two best teams don't end up in the championship....extremely rare that at least one doesn't make it.  So the excitement isn't quite there, even if the caliber is superior.

And I agree with Sultan, technicals have been rescinded.....usually after a game but it happens.  Kobe had one rescinded last month as an example.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 12:37:30 AM »

Many like myself, vehemently disagree with this and won't even watch the NBA.  Are they skilled basketball players, yes.  Is the overall skill in the NBA higher yes.  But it is a show and in my opinion is not great basketball, because each game really doesn't matter to most of them.

The college game in my opinion is more pure and in that regards much better basketball.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 01:36:36 AM »
The NBA is going through Kobe withdrawal.

Lots of crazy stuff going on this postseason.
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 06:28:20 AM »
Many like myself, vehemently disagree with this and won't even watch the NBA.  Are they skilled basketball players, yes.  Is the overall skill in the NBA higher yes.  But it is a show and in my opinion is not great basketball, because each game really doesn't matter to most of them.

It's because the season is too long.  I don't watch much NBA in the regular season...but the playoffs are usually incredible basketball. 

The NBA and MLB would be better served with a season about 2/3 of the length they currently are.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 06:41:51 AM »

It's because the season is too long.  I don't watch much NBA in the regular season...but the playoffs are usually incredible basketball. 

The NBA and MLB would be better served with a season about 2/3 of the length they currently are.

I think if the leagues could go back in time, they would've kept the seasons shorter and made the playoffs bigger/longer.

Now they have long seasons and big playoffs, which is technically good for ticket revenue, but I think we see a saturation point and general disinterest in a lot of the games.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 06:47:54 AM »
Yep...the only exception to this is probably the NFL.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 06:55:13 AM »
Many like myself, vehemently disagree with this and won't even watch the NBA.  Are they skilled basketball players, yes.  Is the overall skill in the NBA higher yes.  But it is a show and in my opinion is not great basketball, because each game really doesn't matter to most of them.

The college game in my opinion is more pure and in that regards much better basketball.

What is pure?

Its terrible arguments like these that make college fans seem like simpleton idiots, and it's a bad label.

Even the worst NBA team would handily beat the best NCAA team every year.

Don't hide behind veiled comments like 'pure', tell us why you really hate it now...

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 07:05:45 AM »

I have to disagree with you on that one. Better players?  Higher level of play?  yes, but the college game is more entertaining to watch, for me anyway.  The fact that teams that are 6 games under 500 can even get in the playoffs is a joke. The officiating is a joke. The star treatment is disgusting. The whole structure of the NBA makes it very difficult for most of the teams to compete and have a realistic chance at the championship.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 07:40:01 AM »
I have to disagree with you on that one. Better players?  Higher level of play?  yes, but the college game is more entertaining to watch, for me anyway.  The fact that teams that are 6 games under 500 can even get in the playoffs is a joke. The officiating is a joke. The star treatment is disgusting. The whole structure of the NBA makes it very difficult for most of the teams to compete and have a realistic chance at the championship.

The refereeing in the NBA is about 8 million times better than what you see in college basketball.  These are the comments usually made by people who haven't watched the NBA since 1985.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 07:49:35 AM »

The refereeing in the NBA is about 8 million times better than what you see in college basketball.  These are the comments usually made by people who haven't watched the NBA since 1985.

No, I watch the nba enough to know. Watch the contact LeBron gets away with especially away from the ball. I think the nba refs are better, they just don't or won't enforce the rules consistently. Worse than that it changes depending on the team that is playing, playoffs vs regular season and who the player is.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 08:38:02 AM »
The NBA has a higher talent level, but give me the NCAAs any day of the week. I'd rather watch the NCAAs as a neutral than the NBA as a partisan fan. The one-and-done nature of the tournament changes everything. I also feel that the longer shot clock allows more strategy. A Princeton style offense would never work in the NBA, yet many teams succeed with some version of it in the college game.

NBA may be more high-flying, but I don't feel it's a better product. It's like comparing a Toyota Camry to the new Jaguar. The Camry is a reliable, solid car that you will get your money out of. The Jaguar looks flashier, but is less reliable and more expensive to operate. For me, that's the NBA. Sure, it looks flashy, but I don't get near the enjoyment out of it that I do the NCAAs. It's a style vs substance comparison, and I'll take substance any day of the week.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 08:57:45 AM »
What is pure?

Its terrible arguments like these that make college fans seem like simpleton idiots, and it's a bad label.

Even the worst NBA team would handily beat the best NCAA team every year.

Don't hide behind veiled comments like 'pure', tell us why you really hate it now...

THANK YOU.

People can't come up with a single, basketball-related reason that the college game is better.

It's funny, how we make fun of UW fans for liking "traditional" basketball, but a lot of people here sound the same way with the NBA.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 09:08:54 AM »
It's actually quite funny how riled up the NBA fans get when people say they would rather watch a college game than an NBA one.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 09:12:22 AM »
It's actually quite funny how riled up the NBA fans get when people say they would rather watch a college game than an NBA one.

Look, I prefer college basketball. I watch far more of it. I'm just sick of people sh*tting on the NBA game, when they truly have no idea what they are talking about.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 09:32:06 AM »

I enjoy the college game more as well, but that doesn't mean the NBA refs are bad, NBA players don't care, NBA players don't play defense, etc. etc.

It's ok to prefer college ball (I know I do), but people don't need to make up reasons for not liking the NBA.

Just say: "I like college ball better."

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 09:34:48 AM »
Look, I prefer college basketball. I watch far more of it. I'm just sick of people sh*tting on the NBA game, when they truly have no idea what they are talking about.

I prefer the college game too.  People have already listed on this thread why they don't like the NBA: not the same intensity, too long of a season, star treatment for certain players, short shot clock leading to a ton of mid-range jumpers, one-on-ones and less team play.  I'm just not a fan of that kind of play.  NBA playoffs is enjoyable to watch, but as other have mentioned upsets are extremely rare and takes away some of the excitement.

feedback