[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Badger Hate Week  (Read 87030 times)

Pops Sims

• Walk-On
Re: Badger Hate Week
« Reply #325 on: December 06, 2018, 02:30:07 PM »
Score predictions?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #326 on: December 06, 2018, 02:56:49 PM »
Badger hate week turns into 'I hate everyone else on scoop' week and 'oh, yeah, the badgers suck' week.

I hate most, if not all, of you f*ckers 52 weeks a year

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #327 on: December 06, 2018, 03:04:34 PM »
I think what Big Cat meant was UW has had great success stealing MN or IA talent.  And talent that is so obvious (he mentioned guys being Mr. Basketball in their state) but the hometown school can't land them.  His point is Davidson should be playing for the Gophers but like Leuer and others he's excelling in Madison.

I'm fine to take the glass half-empty interpretation of the way he views his basketball team.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #328 on: December 06, 2018, 03:50:32 PM »
Wojo needs to go to every single official before the game and tell them to "watch #34's feet". He's moving all the time. I do wonder if all the negative pub his "flops" are getting will actually make refs call it a blocking foul more often(which it is).

Bravo.  Agree 100%. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #329 on: December 06, 2018, 04:01:00 PM »
I'm fine to take the glass half-empty interpretation of the way he views his basketball team.

I still have never heard Big Cat utter the word Marquette.  Hopefully he'll be crying about us on Monday's PMT.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #330 on: December 06, 2018, 05:53:15 PM »
Bager boards downplaying this game like its no big deal once again. annoying

So funny, every year they have multiple threads going with posters coming out of the woodwork proclaiming how little this game means to them. The definition of irony.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #331 on: December 06, 2018, 05:55:22 PM »
Wick Fisconsin at Fiserv
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #332 on: December 06, 2018, 09:52:00 PM »
I agree. I don't care who you root for; but I can't stand it when people say "We" and "Us" for schools that they didn't attend.

I have a few high school friends that are especially bad about this regarding Notre Dame, and I am forced to say, "What's this 'we' crap?  You went to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga!"

Do you say the same thing to Packers/Bears/Bucks/Cubs fans when they say "we?"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #333 on: December 06, 2018, 09:55:04 PM »
Badger hate week turns into 'I hate everyone else on scoop' week and 'oh, yeah, the badgers suck' week.

Eh ... go to h-e-double-hockey-sticks.

And eff F%cky!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #334 on: December 06, 2018, 10:23:43 PM »
So funny, every year they have multiple threads going with posters coming out of the woodwork proclaiming how little this game means to them. The definition of irony.
Heard Josh Gasser on the radio today.
Says this is our Super Bowl every year.
Says he despises MU.
Says Saturday game is needed more by MU.
Says he was dissed on his recruiting trip to MU.
He said On his recruiting trip the MU players beat him and his fellow recruits on the court and he sat on the sidelines for the rest of the night. He thought they should have allowed him to stay on the court.
Jimmy and Jae said he’ll to the no.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #335 on: December 06, 2018, 11:35:05 PM »
Says he despises MU.
He said On his recruiting trip the MU players beat him and his fellow recruits on the court and he sat on the sidelines for the rest of the night. He thought they should have allowed him to stay on the court.

The SUPER BOWL thing is ridiculous. We played in the greatest conference ever assembled and are still in a better conference, with a visually superior brand of basketball. Our tradition blows them out of the water. Never knew one student or alum who would rather we stumble along in conference, as long as we beat Becky. As a matter of fact, I would rather attend any MU BigEast game, including DePaul, than the annual tilt with Red. The games just flow better. With our improved D, this will be a low scoring affair. Not Dick Bennet or Grinch slow, but we will have to out-ugly the Red scare.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #336 on: December 07, 2018, 05:27:05 AM »
https://www.htrnews.com/story/sports/college/2018/12/06/wisconsin-marquette-basketball-rivalry-heated-but-one-sides-vitriol-stronger/2209920002/
I thought this article was actually pretty fair.  Although that MU undergrad UW grad school buckys5thquarter guy needs to have his alumni privileges revoked.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #337 on: December 07, 2018, 05:33:38 AM »
The SUPER BOWL thing is ridiculous. We played in the greatest conference ever assembled and are still in a better conference, with a visually superior brand of basketball. Our tradition blows them out of the water. Never knew one student or alum who would rather we stumble along in conference, as long as we beat Becky. As a matter of fact, I would rather attend any MU BigEast game, including DePaul, than the annual tilt with Red. The games just flow better. With our improved D, this will be a low scoring affair. Not Dick Bennet or Grinch slow, but we will have to out-ugly the Red scare.
Eh, I don’t mind the Super Bowl thing anymore and have started to embrace it.  This game means more to us because basketball means more to us.  It’s all personal though depending on your background.  For me, this game is the most important by a huge margin.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #338 on: December 07, 2018, 05:43:09 AM »
I do at every possible opportunity.  I recently typed we on the game day chat and even that didn't feel right to me.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:48:16 AM by MUEng92 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #339 on: December 07, 2018, 05:49:05 AM »
https://www.htrnews.com/story/sports/college/2018/12/06/wisconsin-marquette-basketball-rivalry-heated-but-one-sides-vitriol-stronger/2209920002/
I thought this article was actually pretty fair.  Although that MU undergrad UW grad school buckys5thquarter guy needs to have his alumni privileges revoked.

I definitely agree it's a fair article. Though I think there's another facet to the rivalry that gives us the vitrol. MU grads seem to be fiercely defensive of Milwaukee whereas many of the small town individuals that go to UW have a tendency to hate Milwaukee thinking of it as the "big bad city" so we take that personally. Wisconsin as a whole has a tendency to hate Marquette because we have a strong alumni base and it's believed we pass over more qualified candidates for our own. We don't take that hate very well either and take it out on UW.

None of this is from independent studies but my entire elkhorn/waukesha/east troy side has lead me to believe this.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #340 on: December 07, 2018, 06:31:16 AM »
I definitely agree it's a fair article. Though I think there's another facet to the rivalry that gives us the vitrol. MU grads seem to be fiercely defensive of Milwaukee whereas many of the small town individuals that go to UW have a tendency to hate Milwaukee thinking of it as the "big bad city" so we take that personally. Wisconsin as a whole has a tendency to hate Marquette because we have a strong alumni base and it's believed we pass over more qualified candidates for our own. We don't take that hate very well either and take it out on UW.

None of this is from independent studies but my entire elkhorn/waukesha/east troy side has lead me to believe this.

I think a lot of the vitriol if you will from our side is kind of a This is Sparta thing....there are so many of them and so few of us. Plus a sizable chunk of their many are pretty ignorant about basketball so we look down on them.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #341 on: December 07, 2018, 06:50:46 AM »
Says he despises MU.

Someone probably called a foul on him and he pouted.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #342 on: December 07, 2018, 07:52:29 AM »
The Badgers’ and their fans’ role in this rivalry is to treat the game like it doesn’t matter because we play in a “mid major” conference and don’t have football.  But they’ll be mad as hell if we win on Saturday.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #343 on: December 07, 2018, 07:55:55 AM »
For better or worse, Gasser is about as far away from a Buzz player as you can get.

Anyway, he went from being a preferred walk-on at UW, to a scholarship player to a starter on some damn good teams. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #344 on: December 07, 2018, 08:02:07 AM »

5 times more important than a Super Bowl?  Oi vey.  I know it was sarcasm, but UW-Madison fans will lock onto that quote forever and apply it to all MU fans.

I have a healthy respect for their program.  They have been very good the last 20 years.  It’s a great intrastate rivalry, go to any Badger board and watch them spend post after post after post how it isn’t a rivalry....LOL. 

Here’s to a good game on Saturday.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:08:48 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #345 on: December 07, 2018, 08:12:15 AM »
For better or worse, Gasser is about as far away from a Buzz player as you can get.

Why? I remember him as being a very hard worker who would take a charge and usually play better than his perceived ability.

I fully allow that I might be misremembering, however, since I didn't see all that many F%cky games.

I do remember Bilas -- whom I do like -- saying about 100 times that Gasser would be a productive NBA player. Even the good analysts can't get 'em all right.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #346 on: December 07, 2018, 08:21:30 AM »

If you grew up or live in a place that doesn't have its own pro team, and have been a fan of one team consistently,  you can say "we".  My Nashville brother says "we" when he talks about the Cincinnati Reds, whom he has been following since the early 70's, and I have no problem with that.

If you are a San Francisco native and suddenly start referring to the Rams as "we", then absolutely not.
Have some patience, FFS.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #347 on: December 07, 2018, 08:33:57 AM »
If you grew up or live in a place that doesn't have its own pro team, and have been a fan of one team consistently,  you can say "we".  My Nashville brother says "we" when he talks about the Cincinnati Reds, whom he has been following since the early 70's, and I have no problem with that.

If you are a San Francisco native and suddenly start referring to the Rams as "we", then absolutely not.
Careful - you're inching close to the "when is it acceptable for someone to wear visiting team paraphernalia" argument. Though I agree with you on people who bandwagon

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #348 on: December 07, 2018, 08:34:29 AM »
I still have never heard Big Cat utter the word Marquette.  Hopefully he'll be crying about us on Monday's PMT.

He was pretty open about giving up on the football team this year after an early loss or two, so maybe he'll go the same direction with basketball too.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #349 on: December 07, 2018, 08:37:51 AM »
I say this every year, but we’re the only “rival” for UW that really thinks of UW as a rivalry.  UW is at least secondary, if not lower, for every other Big Tweleventeen team.  Minnesota and Iowa have each other, and UW is much further down the list for everyone else.  If their fans don’t consider this a rivalry, it just shows they’re lousy fans.