[Today at 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: White Privilege at MU  (Read 79853 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: White Privilege at MU
« Reply #625 on: June 21, 2018, 10:16:29 AM »
There's a group here who have been posting under the wrong thread. What they are looking for is the thread entitled, "White Guilt."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #626 on: June 21, 2018, 10:42:08 AM »
There's a group here who have been posting under the wrong thread. What they are looking for is the thread entitled, "White Guilt."

Really, 4ever? That's where you're going with this? Interesting.

Honestly, my friend, is it your contention that a white guy who did the exact same thing as Brown would have been handled the exact same way by those cops?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #627 on: June 21, 2018, 10:49:41 AM »

Bull$hit. Acknowledging there is systemic, institutional advantage baked in for white dudes is not guilt, it's a recognition that those of us who benefit from it need to be part of the effort to kill it. I don't have any guilt over the system, I didn't create it, but I sure as hell can do something about it so that the system doesn't continue in it's present form.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #628 on: June 21, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »
Bull$hit. Acknowledging there is systemic, institutional advantage baked in for white dudes is not guilt, it's a recognition that those of us who benefit from it need to be part of the effort to kill it. I don't have any guilt over the system, I didn't create it, but I sure as hell can do something about it so that the system doesn't continue in it's present form.

Well said, mu03!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #629 on: June 21, 2018, 11:16:56 AM »

I am shocked that an old, white dentist who lives in the 'Quon feels that way.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #630 on: June 21, 2018, 11:18:32 AM »

Visual representation of rocket and 4ever:

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #631 on: June 21, 2018, 11:20:42 AM »
Don't try to equate breaking the law with excessive punishment. Did Sterling Brown break the law when he parked horizonally across 2 handicapped parking spaces? Simply answer, aina? Next simple question: Would the police have even stopped to investigate an incident had Sterling Brown parked within the lines of Walgreen's parking lot? So, even a dude who works at a US News lowly ranked college, should be able to deductively reason that Sterling Brown could have avoided the entire fiasco, hey?

So, the next time you go even 1 mph over the speed limit you will gladly allow a cop to beat and electrocute you - as well as threaten the lives of you friends?

You and surgeon will twist yourself into a pretzel to rationalize that the black guys deserve this treatment - but that you are a good law abiding white guy.

Others here are much more diplomatic than I. But why beat around the bush?

I can't even believe I waste a second of my time arguing with racists. You guys have been emboldened and are crawling out of the woodwork everywhere.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #632 on: June 21, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »

Visual representation of rocket and 4ever:

It's true, but that's part of what we need to do is help them pick their heads up and see what's going on (which is why I'm way less confrontational than Jockey, sorry my man :) ) We need Rocket and 4ever as allies if the system is going to change.

This is not an attack on you guys as creators of the system or racists yourselves(I truly believe you aren't), but I'm hoping through this conversation you can see that there is a fundamental truth that if you aren't a white dude, you could be treated differently by cops(as in this particular instance) and in cases where that is clear (not sure how it's not clear here) we need to call it out, hold them accountable, and expect consequences. It is the only way things change, and I guarantee you it will be a change for the better of all, including yourselves. We(the people of this country) are the ones in charge, let's take ownership of that and shape a society that doesn't put an thumb on the scale for some but not others.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #633 on: June 21, 2018, 12:49:39 PM »
It's true, but that's part of what we need to do is help them pick their heads up and see what's going on (which is why I'm way less confrontational than Jockey, sorry my man :) ) We need Rocket and 4ever as allies if the system is going to change.

It's a noble effort, and the right thing to do, I just think it is nearly impossible for find common ground when you have Fox News, OAN, Brietbart, and 1,200 hate radio AM stations continuously telling them that wealthy white male Christians are under attack and are the real victims in the U.S.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #634 on: June 21, 2018, 01:22:31 PM »
It's a noble effort, and the right thing to do, I just think it is nearly impossible for find common ground when you have Fox News, OAN, Brietbart, and 1,200 hate radio AM stations continuously telling them that wealthy white male Christians are under attack and are the real victims in the U.S.
1. I am 100 percent of the opinion that the Milwaukee PD are in general quite aggressive and for the most part jerks.
2. Unfortunately the majority of people in my community behave poorly and feed into that police aggression unnecessarily.
3. The social media the cop in this case put out is a reflection of the intersection between 1 and 2. Totally unacceptable but knowing the parties like I do fully understandable.
4.  I get pulled over for driving black, have to endure all the other insufferable indignities day after day, month after month and year after year.  It has gotten to be a routine in my life that I just take as part of the deal . It sucks but that is what society is all about .  At least people call you sir a lot
5.  This famous movie quote from Guess Who's Coming To Dinner rather succinctly summarizes my worldview:

You listen to me. You say you don't want to tell me how to live my life. So what do you think you've been doing? You tell me what rights I've got or haven't got, and what I owe to you for what you've done for me. Let me tell you something. I owe you nothing! If you carried that bag a million miles, you did what you're supposed to do! Because you brought me into this world. And from that day you owed me everything you could ever do for me like I will owe my son if I ever have another. But you don't own me! You can't tell me when or where I'm out of line, or try to get me to live my life according to your rules. You don't even know what I am, Dad, you don't know who I am. You don't know how I feel, what I think. And if I tried to explain it the rest of your life you will never understand. You are 30 years older than I am. You and your whole lousy generation believes the way it was for you is the way it's got to be. And not until your whole generation has lain down and died will the dead weight of you be off our backs! You understand, you've got to get off my back! Dad... Dad, you're my father. I'm your son. I love you. I always have and I always will. But you think of yourself as a colored man. I think of myself as a man. Now, I've got a decision to make, hm? And I've got to make it alone, and I gotta make it in a hurry. So would you go out there and see after my mother?
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #635 on: June 21, 2018, 02:23:16 PM »

Call me optimistic, but I think all of that is a symptom of the old mindsets dying. Hearts and minds are changing, we just can't see it in all of the noise that technology allows to surface.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #636 on: June 21, 2018, 03:34:49 PM »
1. I am 100 percent of the opinion that the Milwaukee PD are in general quite aggressive and for the most part jerks.
2. Unfortunately the majority of people in my community behave poorly and feed into that police aggression unnecessarily.
3. The social media the cop in this case put out is a reflection of the intersection between 1 and 2. Totally unacceptable but knowing the parties like I do fully understandable.
4.  I get pulled over for driving black, have to endure all the other insufferable indignities day after day, month after month and year after year.  It has gotten to be a routine in my life that I just take as part of the deal . It sucks but that is what society is all about .  At least people call you sir a lot
5.  This famous movie quote from Guess Who's Coming To Dinner rather succinctly summarizes my worldview:

You listen to me. You say you don't want to tell me how to live my life. So what do you think you've been doing? You tell me what rights I've got or haven't got, and what I owe to you for what you've done for me. Let me tell you something. I owe you nothing! If you carried that bag a million miles, you did what you're supposed to do! Because you brought me into this world. And from that day you owed me everything you could ever do for me like I will owe my son if I ever have another. But you don't own me! You can't tell me when or where I'm out of line, or try to get me to live my life according to your rules. You don't even know what I am, Dad, you don't know who I am. You don't know how I feel, what I think. And if I tried to explain it the rest of your life you will never understand. You are 30 years older than I am. You and your whole lousy generation believes the way it was for you is the way it's got to be. And not until your whole generation has lain down and died will the dead weight of you be off our backs! You understand, you've got to get off my back! Dad... Dad, you're my father. I'm your son. I love you. I always have and I always will. But you think of yourself as a colored man. I think of myself as a man. Now, I've got a decision to make, hm? And I've got to make it alone, and I gotta make it in a hurry. So would you go out there and see after my mother?

You either get something entirely different from that quote than I do or it has not aged as well with you as you might think.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #637 on: June 21, 2018, 05:20:03 PM »

My wife certainly agrees with you. She's on me all the time about reining it in.

In theory, I agree totally. In day to day, I have a hard time with it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #638 on: June 21, 2018, 07:18:55 PM »
I think that's where you essentially explained white priveledge. The immediate suspicion of prostitution etc are all things that just don't happen with white folks

this is far as i got reading the comments after mine-

you may be right bags, but this is the reality of policing in the area they were in.  if any cop goes into any area, not knowing the history of the region, unfortunately, they will not be for long in this line of work
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #639 on: June 21, 2018, 07:20:26 PM »
this is far as i got reading the comments after mine-

you may be right bags, but this is the reality of policing in the area they were in.  if any cop goes into any area, not knowing the history of the region, unfortunately, they will not be for long in this line of work

Congrats.  You just endorsed racial profiling.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #640 on: June 21, 2018, 07:20:33 PM »

Exactly.  Thank you.  Rocket wants to explain away the fact that these cops, one of which was overtly racist on social media, very likely treated Brown different than they would have a white guy because of his skin color.

never said that, did i?  please do not read any more into what i said, than what i said

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #641 on: June 21, 2018, 07:22:50 PM »
Actually, you didn't even have to read that far.  Note his prefatory comment:

Interrogation?  For parking illegally?

this COULD have been A LOT more complicated than parking illegally.  do you have any idea of what needs to go through cops minds as they approach situations? 

once again however-must we establish or preface every comment we make, just to be clear, that these cops acted badly if not criminally

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #642 on: June 21, 2018, 07:31:40 PM »

Have any of you ever been to poor white parts of this country?  If you have, you will see the police profile them, too.  I'm in agreement with you that minorities are overly profiled, but it is not alone based on race, but all too often on who commits crime, which is typically the poor as a result of need. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #643 on: June 21, 2018, 07:37:56 PM »

Congrats.  You just endorsed racial profiling.

once again sully, race has not been mentioned-but, nice try mr provocateur. unless you have something more civil to add, which is rare, it would be best you run along, eyn'er?

i'd rather engage more level headed, non-condescending, name calling posters like mu03 and the like.  those are the people who can further a productive conversation sans the personal crap

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #644 on: June 21, 2018, 07:38:57 PM »
Have any of you ever been to poor white parts of this country?  If you have, you will see the police profile them, too.  I'm in agreement with you that minorities are overly profiled, but it is not alone based on race, but all too often on who commits crime, which is typically the poor as a result of need.

wow!  thank you!! 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #645 on: June 21, 2018, 07:43:40 PM »
once again sully, race has not been mentioned-but, nice try mr provocateur. unless you have something more civil to add, which is rare, it would be best you run along, eyn'er?

Sorry but Bags specifically brought up race in the post you responded to. 

And I aint running along sunshine. 

i'd rather engage more level headed, non-condescending, name calling posters like mu03 and the like.  those are the people who can further a productive conversation sans the personal crap

Good for you.  If you don't want me involved, send them a personal message.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 07:46:59 PM by #bansultan »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #646 on: June 21, 2018, 07:44:53 PM »

Is Sterling Brown poor?  What would lead the Police to believe that he is poor?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #647 on: June 21, 2018, 07:52:29 PM »
  "Good for you.  If you don't want me involved, send them a personal message"

try exercising a little restraint once, maybe even being nice-you'll feel so much better... if that's possible

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #648 on: June 21, 2018, 07:57:32 PM »
  "Good for you.  If you don't want me involved, send them a personal message"

try exercising a little restraint once, maybe even being nice-you'll feel so much better... if that's possible

I feel great and have no need to change my approach.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #649 on: June 21, 2018, 08:31:50 PM »

I think race has been mentioned here, in this thread, multiple times.

But I also think, that even if you're saying you personally haven't mentioned race, you should acknowledge it. Because, obviously - by looking at what the cops have said during/after the incident - it played a role here.

feedback