'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NCAA to tighten transfer rules  (Read 20404 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: NCAA to tighten transfer rules
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2019, 11:35:56 PM »
Many of us are old enough to remember the hair-on-fire predictions that free agency would "destroy" pro sports, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2019, 12:05:09 AM »
McDonald’s should be forced to offer lobster...it’s a restaurant and therefore they must conform and not be allowed to have their own rules, menu, approach.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:38:01 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2019, 07:43:16 AM »
Many of us are old enough to remember the hair-on-fire predictions that free agency would "destroy" pro sports, too.

red herring.  comparing apples to pomegranates here.  if you thin ncaa and nike/adidas, et.al. are corrupt now,  this will destroy college sports.  when bad behavior isn't reprimanded, you will see more of it until it is reprimanded.  the ncaa has already been acting like you know what-let's ju$t $ay mama ju$tice ain't blind.  $he need$ a new blindfold$
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2019, 08:10:07 AM »
I wish the masters at Arby's kept their workers under bigger thumbs.  All this talk about roast beef makes me hungry, but I still can't get over what they were doing to the horsey sauce.

Imagine what newspapers would be if there were no thumbs... one'd have to wade through a few dozen articles - mostly about who has bigger tits, ______ or John Kruk - before finding an off-hand mention of the score of last week's game.  Thank God and pasta monsters for the Internet.

I’m confused is Al Gore God, or is he a pasta monster?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2019, 08:19:54 AM »
I’m confused is Al Gore God, or is he a pasta monster?

Al Gore is god's god.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2019, 09:00:08 AM »

red herring.  comparing apples to pomegranates here.  if you thin ncaa and nike/adidas, et.al. are corrupt now,  this will destroy college sports.  when bad behavior isn't reprimanded, you will see more of it until it is reprimanded.  the ncaa has already been acting like you know what-let's ju$t $ay mama ju$tice ain't blind.  $he need$ a new blindfold$

You and chicos have no evidence whatsoever that free agency would destroy college sports. You have opinions. I and others happen to have different opinions.

What I said about pro sports was a fact. Many pundits, owners, fans, etc, opined that free agency would "destroy sports as we know them." It was truly a hair-on-fire reaction, and it proved to be false. You might not like the comparison, but it doesn't make it any less of a fact.

You are allowed to have opinions, as are the rest of us. It doesn't make your opinions "right." Only if free agency happens will we see who was right or wrong. In my opinion, I would be proven right.

But don't worry, rocketman ... it's unlikely to happen any time soon, if ever. In the college sports industrial complex, the generals and politicians are very good at keeping the soldiers fighting wars for them while severely limiting any say that the soldiers have.

Hell, the fact that the soldiers have found one little loophole -- the grad transfer rule -- has driven the generals and politicians so crazy they keep trying to close it. Gotta keep the soldiers in their place!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2019, 09:05:05 AM »
You and chicos have no evidence whatsoever that free agency would destroy college sports. You have opinions. I and others happen to have different opinions.

What I said about pro sports was a fact. Many pundits, owners, fans, etc, opined that free agency would "destroy sports as we know them." It was truly a hair-on-fire reaction, and it proved to be false. You might not like the comparison, but it doesn't make it any less of a fact.

You are allowed to have opinions, as are the rest of us. It doesn't make your opinions "right." Only if free agency happens will we see who was right or wrong. In my opinion, I would be proven right.

But don't worry, rocketman ... it's unlikely to happen any time soon, if ever. In the college sports industrial complex, the generals and politicians are very good at keeping the soldiers fighting wars for them while severely limiting any say that the soldiers have.

Hell, the fact that the soldiers have found one little loophole -- the grad transfer rule -- has driven the generals and politicians so crazy they keep trying to close it. Gotta keep the soldiers in their place!

I think it's going to happen very soon. California is going to vote on forcing all colleges to pay players. That will force the ncaa's hand.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2019, 11:31:33 AM »
I think it's going to happen very soon. California is going to vote on forcing all colleges to pay players. That will force the ncaa's hand.

Does that mean California will also vote to pay all film, theatre, band, cheerleading, dance, etc. participants too?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2019, 11:47:56 AM »
Does that mean California will also vote to pay all film, theatre, band, cheerleading, dance, etc. participants too?

This particular bill would allow student athletes to receive compensation for use of their likeness, whether in advertising of video games and the such.  If someone wants to pay those students for something similar, I don’t see why that would be an issue
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 11:49:28 AM by Uncle Rico »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2019, 12:02:11 PM »
This particular bill would allow student athletes to receive compensation for use of their likeness, whether in advertising of video games and the such.  If someone wants to pay those students for something similar, I don’t see why that would be an issue

Got it. Was unclear of the details. It still opens a can of worms though. If this is referencing athletes signing outside deals on their own, then what about Grad Students who are prohibited from seeking outside work as a condition of their stipends/tuition waiver? Shouldn't this law apply to them too?

If it is in terms of advertising done by the University using their likeness (they are no longer in video games by name, and apparel lists numbers not names), what about other students who are used in University advertising. They aren't compensated either, and in some cases have no idea their likeness was used until they are on TV, as they also sign a waiver by accepting University admission/funds.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2019, 12:09:04 PM »
Got it. Was unclear of the details. It still opens a can of worms though. If this is referencing athletes signing outside deals on their own, then what about Grad Students who are prohibited from seeking outside work as a condition of their stipends/tuition waiver? Shouldn't this law apply to them too?

If it is in terms of advertising done by the University using their likeness (they are no longer in video games by name, and apparel lists numbers not names), what about other students who are used in University advertising. They aren't compensated either, and in some cases have no idea their likeness was used until they are on TV, as they also sign a waiver by accepting University admission/funds.

The bill will allow athletes to acquire compensation outside the university.  Examples would be car dealership, restaurants and get paid for appearances.  Again, if there’s a demand, any student athlete can do this. 

I can’t speak on grad students.  That’s a different topic but I’d imagine if they created the type of demand athletes do, they’d be eligible as well.  Truth is, a guy like Markus Howard would be in high demand locally.  A guy like Ike, not so much.  It’ll be market driven.  Will it create “no show” situations?  Almost certainly but if someone wants to give player “X” a contract to rep their business, so be it
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2019, 01:00:01 PM »
Again, I laughed. Cheeks has been banned for fighting every republican value tooth and nail. Pakuni is a literal walking representation of a liberal. But "okay"

You made a false claim.  Happy to post my online part affiliation which I believe states how long it has been that way.  Also, as stated and have stated here for years....if I was so staunch I would have voted that way and yet haven’t in 4 of the last 5 elections....that sure is a staunch supporter or whatever word you used.  LOL.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2019, 01:02:33 PM »

Well, that's a whole 'nother issue. I was talking about transfers having to sit out a year.

But sure, this Cali thing will be interesting to follow.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2019, 01:05:32 PM »
Actually, I'm not.
Football and men's basketball provides the revenue (both direct and indirect) that supports the other sports programs.  The majority of the athletes in those sports are black. The majority of the athletes in non revenue sports are white.

And that's not even getting into how many of the non revenue sports have socioeconomic barriers that make it difficult to impossible for kids of the working and poorer classes to excel in.

The majority of athletes in football are not black.  Period.  The majority, in fact are not black....42% white, 44% black, the rest are Hispanic, Asian, Native American.   44% is not a majority, it is a plurality in this case.

You also said they are primarily lower class black Americans,  but that is also misleading.  Yes, many are, but that isn’t what you said.  Do you have data to support?  Damon Phillips, good friend of mine who I worked with side by side for years....was head of USA Football, played at Stanford, is African American, would be happy to break down those stats.  He is currently the GM of NBC Sports Washington....the guy is an absolute data machine when it comes to participation levels of football in this country as that was his job for years.  Football is an expensive sport to play and many lower class actually do not play because it is unaffordable.  Basketball is a different story, but you seem to be lumping them in together.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:07:51 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2019, 01:14:58 PM »
So women's volleyball will be destroyed if they let men's basketball play instantly after transferring? That's a hell of a stretch.

"I did work with these kids daily, yearly, you and 99% of others here didn’t."

That's a hell of an assumption. Especially as I've talked about my college days and my professional days a decent amount on scoop.

For many schools, yes. Very simple and you are showing a lax understanding of how the economics work.  Now, you may not care about the programs ranked 200 to 400 in D1 for women’s volleyball, but those are student athletes with scholarships.  If you start destroying the ability of these schools to play basketball and football, ultimately requiring the, to drop sports or go to D2 or D3, that destroys opportunities.  Again, it won’t touch the Big Ten, SEC, ACC, etc....but it damn will for many other conferences.  You may not care, you accused me of not caring.....but I do care, which is why I stating it as such.  The current system I want to preserve provides immense opportunities for kids, many women and minorities.  Yes, you can argue that the .5% super elite are not receiving the value they should...boo hoo....I don’t see destroying all of these other opportunities for that small population that is going to cash in in 8 months after their first season anyway on the hoops side.  I don’t support the .5%......you are absolutely correct.  I’d rather help the 99%.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2019, 01:16:49 PM »

Many of us are old enough to remember the war on “—————“ was going to fix things and end “—————“ instead of making it worse.   

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2019, 01:24:30 PM »

And the NCAA has said California schools won’t get to participate in NCAA championships as a result. California has made some interesting choices the last 20 years.....44th in education now (big drop), highest poverty in the nation now, homelessness highest in nation now, highest taxes in the nation, net migration population loss as a result. All the above are facts, since MU82 is finally saying he cares about facts....easy to look them all up.  Simply facts, not my opinion, just facts.  Not political, simply facts.  Maybe California will force the NCAA’s hand, and maybe many other states will follow or maybe they will rebel.  It’s a good thing California has such a strong handle on things they can put their efforts into this for college athletes and cure the massive ills facing the .5% that are being so hurt.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2019, 01:37:27 PM »
Many of us are old enough to remember the war on “—————“ was going to fix things and end “—————“ instead of making it worse.

Irrelevant. Stick to the topic, please.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2019, 01:39:48 PM »

You failed to mentioned one MAJOR part of your thesis. Salary caps.  The salary caps and luxury taxes put into place were in large part to prevent the run away rich teams from winning.  Not sure why that slipped your mind being a former sports reporter and all.

Yet despite even those measures, you still have the richest teams buying the best players.  The NBA finally made some adjustments that allow players to get the most by staying with their teams, but they had to institute that BECAUSE of Free Agency.  Weird that those changes didn't make it from your head to your fingers on the keyboard.  Very weird.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2019, 01:41:39 PM »
Irrelevant. Stick to the topic, please.

Not at all, and purposely left blank because you can fit in any number of 100's of things in those blanks that were going to be "solved" if we just throw more money at it. Doesn't always work now does it.  No different here. 

We're going to solve the plight of the .5% that have to wait all of a few months to earn millions because they aren't getting their fair cut....screw the 99.5% that benefit.  Brilliant.  Absolutely brilliant.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2019, 06:24:27 PM »

you are absolutely correct; it is my opinion.  no way to say for sure as it hasn't happened(yet?)  until then, everyone's opinion is...an opinion.  you cannot base it on sports free agency however.  it is it's own animal.  BUT, i am a traditionalist when it comes to college sports.  my opinion, of course, is that if a type of "free agency" is allowed, one of the biggest appealing factors of college sports will be ruined. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2019, 08:08:50 PM »
Al Gore is god's god.

Well, everyone thought he was crazy for pouring resources into chasing down this half-man half-pig half-bear creature, and well... turns out we were the fools on that one. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2019, 08:43:05 PM »
Well, everyone thought he was crazy for pouring resources into chasing down this half-man half-pig half-bear creature, and well... turns out we were the fools on that one.

how many of these "creatures" did we seem to miss out there?  maybe more signs of the earth having that fever thingy? umm, i think we'll be ok while big al still is laughing all the way to his banks.  thars gold in them thar cow flatulent saturated hills out thar

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2019, 09:04:33 PM »

Best and most truthful episode yet

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2019, 09:07:00 PM »
Not at all, and purposely left blank because you can fit in any number of 100's of things in those blanks that were going to be "solved" if we just throw more money at it. Doesn't always work now does it.  No different here. 

We're going to solve the plight of the .5% that have to wait all of a few months to earn millions because they aren't getting their fair cut....screw the 99.5% that benefit.  Brilliant.  Absolutely brilliant.

You be you. Argue with yourself.

feedback