[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17  (Read 251968 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17
« Reply #625 on: September 26, 2016, 12:21:31 PM »
I don't think the play calling was too conservative in the second half. They had the ball once in the third quarter and was running it at will until a holding call negates a first down at the Lions 12 after a Rodgers scramble.

Then they tried to pass with four wides on a first down only to have #11 drop the ball.

Was it more conservative? Yes. Overly so? No.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #626 on: September 26, 2016, 01:01:40 PM »
Exactly...and if not for a highly questionable 66-yard PI call yesterday, GB may well have lost to the Lions. And if the Bears had more than 2-3 NFL caliber players they could be undefeated  ;)

You can do that type of thing all day.

What was questionable about the pass interference?  Grab and turn then get the feet tangled.  Lol.  If there wasn't the definition of a pass interference on that play Davis catches that ball in stride.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #627 on: September 26, 2016, 01:06:37 PM »
Wade, as much as it's easy to say that we only lost by 3 points, the reality is that we were several lucky bounces away from losing by 21. This team is plenty good enough to beat MIN, but hypotheticals in that game lean more heavily in favor of a MIN blowout than a GB one.

Yet if the gameplan was closer to what it was yesterday then Rodgers isn't running around like a chicken with his head cut off waiting for one of his down field receivers to get open and defensive linemen and linebackers aren't pinning their ears back to hit Rodgers all game.  That's the point.  It's not overly difficult to see that just trying to run a bunch of deep routes 1 on 1 with our receivers doesn't work.  The game that Mac called against the Vikings was a complete joke.  I've seen Mac call some horrendous games, and that was the worst by far.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #628 on: September 26, 2016, 01:11:39 PM »
What was questionable about the pass interference?  Grab and turn then get the feet tangled.  Lol.  If there wasn't the definition of a pass interference on that play Davis catches that ball in stride.

Oh wades, I've almost come to admire your complete, total and unabashed homerism.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #629 on: September 26, 2016, 01:14:45 PM »
Oh wades, I've almost come to admire your complete, total and unabashed homerism.

You're kidding, right?  I guess if grabbing someone's shoulder and turning him sideways while they're running down a pass isn't then that wasn't pass interference.

But wait.  The refs get caught up in the mystique that is Lambeau Field and gave the Pack the call they needed.  ;D  Even the commentators get caught up in that crazy Lambeau mystique.  Greg Jennings was onto something.  Everyone who walks into that dang stadium gets brainwashed into thinking the Packers can do no wrong.

Let me guess, you don't think the Lions should've been penalized for Ty Montgomery grabbing the ball while standing out of bounds either.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:25:26 PM by wadesworld »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #630 on: September 26, 2016, 01:32:24 PM »

By the way, as much as you have almost come to admire my "complete, total (redundant) and unbashed homerism), I have come to admire your ability to squirm your way out of anyone challenging your absurd claims.

"How do the Packers get away with more...well, uhh...whatever you think they're getting away with, since you say you're not even talking about penalties...than other teams?"
MM: YOU'RE A HOMER WITH THIN SKIN FOR EVEN QUESTIONING THIS IDEA!

"How is that not a pass interference?"
MM: YOU'RE A HOMER!

Not predictably, your response will be I'm a homer.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #631 on: September 26, 2016, 01:37:12 PM »
Did someone call for a Homer?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #632 on: September 26, 2016, 01:40:41 PM »
Did someone call for a Homer?

Home Team.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #633 on: September 26, 2016, 02:30:06 PM »
Stafford, solid.    Everyone else, including the coaching, less so.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #634 on: September 26, 2016, 02:49:03 PM »
Very impressed with the Vikings' D, especially the front 7, in their takedown of my Panthers yesterday.

Even more impressed with Zimmer's coaching job.

First, he's without AP, his QB and other good players and keeps the team thinking positive and playing well. Then, in yesterday's game, the Panthers completely dominated the Vikings in the first half, but the Vikings only trailed by 2 at the break. Zimmer got them to breathe fire in the second half and their D overwhelmed a very good offense. They got after Cam big-time and amazingly held Kelvin Benjamin without a single catch.

The Panthers will be back, thanks in great part to playing in the NFC South, but I think the Vikings are the kind of team nobody wants to play. I'm not saying their reach the SB -- or even win their division -- I'm just saying they're no fun to play against.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #635 on: September 26, 2016, 02:56:05 PM »
Very impressed with the Vikings' D, especially the front 7, in their takedown of my Panthers yesterday.

Even more impressed with Zimmer's coaching job.

First, he's without AP, his QB and other good players and keeps the team thinking positive and playing well. Then, in yesterday's game, the Panthers completely dominated the Vikings in the first half, but the Vikings only trailed by 2 at the break. Zimmer got them to breathe fire in the second half and their D overwhelmed a very good offense. They got after Cam big-time and amazingly held Kelvin Benjamin without a single catch.

The Panthers will be back, thanks in great part to playing in the NFC South, but I think the Vikings are the kind of team nobody wants to play. I'm not saying their reach the SB -- or even win their division -- I'm just saying they're no fun to play against.

If I'm remembering correctly, they didn't TARGET him until very late in the game. So two things here: it's probably dumb not to take a jump ball tactic with a guy that big, but also coverage (and pressure) looked phenomenal as well.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #636 on: September 26, 2016, 06:59:55 PM »
Didn't feel like starting any new polls or anything, but fox, publicly isn't guaranteeing cutler his starting job back when he is given medical clearance.  Come on mannnnn!!  the Vegas odds people must be scrambling
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #637 on: September 26, 2016, 07:09:55 PM »
Didn't feel like starting any new polls or anything, but fox, publicly isn't guaranteeing cutler his starting job back when he is given medical clearance.  Come on mannnnn!!  the Vegas odds people must be scrambling

Probably be more of a threat if Chicago had actually drafted a QB one of the last two years.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #638 on: September 26, 2016, 10:30:20 PM »
Sorry, posted in the wrong thread.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 11:02:11 PM by wadesworld »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #639 on: September 29, 2016, 03:11:44 PM »
Exactly...and if not for a highly questionable 66-yard PI call yesterday, GB may well have lost to the Lions. And if the Bears had more than 2-3 NFL caliber players they could be undefeated  ;)

You can do that type of thing all day.

Hmm. Interesting. Apparently I'm not alone in believe that the call was questionable. In fact, the league even feels more strongly than that.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17669824/detroit-lions-cb-nevin-lawson-says-nfl-told-team-refs-erred-66-yard-penalty

Also, in a separate article by Kevin Seifert...
Pass interference is a subjective call, so we can debate for eternity whether Lawson "significantly" hindered Davis' ability to make the catch, as is stipulated in the NFL rulebook. A strong argument could be made that their legs got tangled as Lawson turned to look for the ball, a seemingly incidental and legal event that often goes unpenalized.
Sunday, Lawson protested the call while speaking afterward to reporters. It's quite possible he would have been validated under review. A key part of the pass interference is whether the defender is playing the ball when contact occurs, and replay showed Lawson was looking over his shoulder toward the line of scrimmage when Davis fell.

I look forward to another handful of rants, wades.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #640 on: September 29, 2016, 03:19:32 PM »
Hmm. Interesting. Apparently I'm not alone in believe that the call was questionable. In fact, the league even feels more strongly than that.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17669824/detroit-lions-cb-nevin-lawson-says-nfl-told-team-refs-erred-66-yard-penalty

Also, in a separate article by Kevin Seifert...
Pass interference is a subjective call, so we can debate for eternity whether Lawson "significantly" hindered Davis' ability to make the catch, as is stipulated in the NFL rulebook. A strong argument could be made that their legs got tangled as Lawson turned to look for the ball, a seemingly incidental and legal event that often goes unpenalized.
Sunday, Lawson protested the call while speaking afterward to reporters. It's quite possible he would have been validated under review. A key part of the pass interference is whether the defender is playing the ball when contact occurs, and replay showed Lawson was looking over his shoulder toward the line of scrimmage when Davis fell.

I look forward to another handful of rants, wades.

Lol.  Took you until Thursday to find a single article written by a Michigan writer that said it was subjective and could be looked at differently.  Congrats!  Ignore the grabbing of his shoulder and turning him sideways that led to the tangling of feet and yes, their feet got tangled and that can be looked at as incidental contact.  So ignore the pass interference part of the pass interference and the play isn't pass interference.  We're definitely in agreement then.  There is no doubt that the tangling of their feet wasn't pass interference.  His problem is he grabbed Davis's shoulders and turned him sideways.  That's pass interference 100% of the time.  Nothing questionable about it.  Listen to the call of the game.  Live the commentators said, "Their feet just got tangled.  I'm not sure about that call."  When they showed the replay they said, "Oh yeah, clearly a PI."  It was as clear as they come.

But...Lambeau...Packers...calls...getting away with non-penalties...mystique...Bear Down...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 03:23:08 PM by wadesworld »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #641 on: September 29, 2016, 04:13:27 PM »
Lol.  Took you until Thursday to find a single article written by a Michigan writer that said it was subjective and could be looked at differently.  Congrats!  Ignore the grabbing of his shoulder and turning him sideways that led to the tangling of feet and yes, their feet got tangled and that can be looked at as incidental contact.  So ignore the pass interference part of the pass interference and the play isn't pass interference.  We're definitely in agreement then.  There is no doubt that the tangling of their feet wasn't pass interference.  His problem is he grabbed Davis's shoulders and turned him sideways.  That's pass interference 100% of the time.  Nothing questionable about it.  Listen to the call of the game.  Live the commentators said, "Their feet just got tangled.  I'm not sure about that call."  When they showed the replay they said, "Oh yeah, clearly a PI."  It was as clear as they come.

But...Lambeau...Packers...calls...getting away with non-penalties...mystique...Bear Down...

Um...Do you have trouble reading with your green and gold glasses on? The NFL admitted the call was wrong.

Also, saying that it could be looked at differently is the same thing as saying the call was "questionable," which is what I did to set off your multiple, ridiculous, ignorant rants.

I'm out! Keep going though. I'm sure the board enjoys your nonsense. I look forward to browsing through your idiotic rants next week.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #642 on: September 29, 2016, 04:26:17 PM »
The refs missed the call. I don't think it's uncommon to get that type of call wrong. When a receiver falls down with hand fighting like that, it goes his way a lot. I don't think it's any type of Packer bias.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #643 on: September 29, 2016, 04:32:22 PM »
Um...Do you have trouble reading with your green and gold glasses on? The NFL admitted the call was wrong.

Also, saying that it could be looked at differently is the same thing as saying the call was "questionable," which is what I did to set off your multiple, ridiculous, ignorant rants.

I'm out! Keep going though. I'm sure the board enjoys your nonsense. I look forward to browsing through your idiotic rants next week.

The league calls individual players and tells them they made the wrong call?  Never heard that before in my life.

But yup.  My rants are ignorant and ridiculous.  Because I question someone who says the Packers get away with...not penalties, but...well, I'm still waiting for that answer.  Instead you just respond with "you're thin skinned for even questioning me saying that they get away with...things."  Lol.  It's awesome stuff.  I'm definitely the one coming up with the idiotic things though.  Those Packers surely get away with...non-penalty things!  Green and gold glasses are the only thing that prevent someone from seeing that!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #644 on: September 29, 2016, 04:33:58 PM »

At risk of sounding biased, the article didn't say the NFL admitted they got it wrong. It said that the player who was flagged claimed that an unnamed coach said that the NFL admitted it was wrong.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #645 on: September 29, 2016, 04:56:54 PM »
At risk of sounding biased, the article didn't say the NFL admitted they got it wrong. It said that the player who was flagged claimed that an unnamed coach said that the NFL admitted it was wrong.

Hey man!  Keep your biased thin skinned-ness to yourself!  You can't question MM for bringing up the fact that the Packers get away with way more than anybody else in the NFL!  And he's not even talking penalties here!  Quit it with your idiotic, ignorant, ridiculous rants!  He's being the bigger man and stepping away from this one!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #646 on: September 29, 2016, 08:11:55 PM »
Jim Bob Cooter is a very good O coordinator who puts Stafford in advantageous situations. Top 5 in pts per game and yards.   If you want to see bad offensive coaching look at how terrible Stafford and the offense was with Lombardi as OC. 

Now I don't know what the hell happened to their defense.  That's got to be coaching and players to be that bad.  While just two years ago they were elite on defense.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #647 on: September 29, 2016, 09:37:49 PM »
The league calls individual players and tells them they made the wrong call?  Never heard that before in my life.

But yup.  My rants are ignorant and ridiculous.  Because I question someone who says the Packers get away with...not penalties, but...well, I'm still waiting for that answer.  Instead you just respond with "you're thin skinned for even questioning me saying that they get away with...things."  Lol.  It's awesome stuff.  I'm definitely the one coming up with the idiotic things though.  Those Packers surely get away with...non-penalty things!  Green and gold glasses are the only thing that prevent someone from seeing that!

Where in the article, or anywhere else, did it say that the NFL called Lawson to tell him they got the call wrong? Yet again, that appears to be something you pulled out of thin air.

Each week the NFL sends out what are basically letters of apology to teams notifying them of calls that were missed or incorrect in their most recent game. Typically these letters are skimmed then tossed in the trash. It seems more likely that the Lions got a letter like this in regards to the PI call than it does Lawson or a coach made it up. 

I wouldn't call out TAMU because he's a level-headed poster who raised a point that needed more clarification, as opposed to going on a rant filled with illogical inferences and dripping with irony as he angrily blusters over a simple opinion while claiming he's not overly sensitive.

The bottom line is that I, along with many other NFL fans, feel that the Packers tend to get calls made in their favor, particularly at home.  You vehemently disagree with that, which is fine, but for some reason take great offense to that notion and seemingly can't even fathom that there's an iota of truth to it.

To each his own.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #648 on: September 29, 2016, 10:20:13 PM »
Where in the article, or anywhere else, did it say that the NFL called Lawson to tell him they got the call wrong? Yet again, that appears to be something you pulled out of thin air.

Each week the NFL sends out what are basically letters of apology to teams notifying them of calls that were missed or incorrect in their most recent game.   Typically these letters are skimmed then tossed in the trash. It seems more likely that the Lions got a letter like this in regards to the PI call than it does Lawson or a coach made it up.

I wouldn't call out TAMU because he's a level-headed poster who raised a point that needed more clarification, as opposed to going on a rant filled with illogical inferences and dripping with irony as he angrily blusters over a simple opinion while claiming he's not overly sensitive.

The bottom line is that I, along with many other NFL fans, feel that the Packers tend to get calls made in their favor, particularly at home.  You vehemently disagree with that, which is fine, but for some reason take great offense to that notion and seemingly can't even fathom that there's an iota of truth to it.

To each his own.

That's not how it works at all.  Before accusing someone of "pulling something out of thin air" you might want to touch up on the procedure.  It was a good effort though.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #649 on: September 29, 2016, 11:21:50 PM »
That's not how it works at all.  Before accusing someone of "pulling something out of thin air" you might want to touch up on the procedure.  It was a good effort though.

They used to send letters. It was even featured on Hard Knocks at one point. Enlighten us, how does the procedure work now?

feedback