[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024?  (Read 1041783 times)

UWW2MU

• All American
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 1/23/23?
« Reply #4450 on: January 23, 2023, 09:22:21 AM »
Chris Murray 22 (n/r before)

This guy replied to someone on twitter last week that 5 losses including one to a "bad" SEC team held him back from ranking MU (and apparently have a low rank this week)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4451 on: January 23, 2023, 09:23:46 AM »
This guy replied to someone on twitter last week that 5 losses including one to a "bad" SEC team held him back from ranking MU (and apparently have a low rank this week)

I wish voters would keep that same energy for Gonzaga when they lose to Loyola Marymount and Pacific, but they have a built in pass annually.
VIOLENCE!

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #4452 on: January 23, 2023, 09:25:30 AM »
What is the typical PR effort from a university to help get eyeballs on a program. I can't believe that 9 individuals don't have Marquette even in their top 25. I know the writer in Madison was called out earlier this year for mistakenly selecting a wrong school. how about these bozos.

Chris Murray - Reno, NV
Dave Borges - New Hew Haven, CT
Percy Allen - Seattle, WA
Jerry DiPaola - Pittsburgh, PA
David Cloninger - Columbia, SC
Justin Jackson, Morgantown, WV
Dave Preston, Washington, DC
Greg Madia - Charlottesville, VA
Kevin, Sjuts - Lincoln, NE

Calling @PaintTouches - would love to see a tweet with these guys tagged asking what we need to do, to crack their personal top 25 lists

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #4453 on: January 23, 2023, 09:26:35 AM »
What is the typical PR effort from a university to help get eyeballs on a program. I can't believe that 9 individuals don't have Marquette even in their top 25. I know the writer in Madison was called out earlier this year for mistakenly selecting a wrong school. how about these bozos.

Chris Murray - Reno, NV

Calling @PaintTouches - would love to see a tweet with these guys tagged asking what we need to do, to crack their personal top 25 lists

So far Murray and Borges have us in their ballot this week.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #4454 on: January 23, 2023, 09:27:41 AM »

Chris Murray - Reno, NV

Somebody on Twitter asked Borges last week if Marquette would make his Top 25 after beating UCONN and he said it depends what happens Sunday (@ Xavier).

Obviously Marquette lost that game by 4 and it was good enough for him to leave them off.  Makes no sense but whatever.
VIOLENCE!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4455 on: January 23, 2023, 09:33:03 AM »
Chris Murray 22 (n/r before)

He has Florida Atlantic 4 spots ahead of us.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #4456 on: January 23, 2023, 09:36:07 AM »

Chris Murray - Reno, NV

Kevin one that i really don't understand either. The dude is in Creighton's backyard and is an "award winning sports journalist"...yet doesn't even have Marquette as a top 25? He has 5 loss Illinois at 22 and 5 Loss Rutgers at 25. Can't tell me is based off record alone.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 09:38:01 AM by goldeneagle91114 »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4457 on: January 23, 2023, 09:38:15 AM »
Andy Katz has us 19th in his Power 36. Below College of Charleston. That's embarassing. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4458 on: January 23, 2023, 09:40:50 AM »

Chris Murray - Reno, NV

I don't think Marquette does anything to reach out to those voters, because in the end it really isn't that big of a deal.

But I guess we can now "the voters" to the list of People Who Officially Hate Marquette Basketball, alongside the referees and the announcers.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #4459 on: January 23, 2023, 09:42:31 AM »
Andy Katz has us 19th in his Power 36. Below College of Charleston. That's embarassing.

Katz also has Baylor at 10 and Indiana at 14 based on wins over Michigan St and Illinois.  Good grief.  🙄

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #4460 on: January 23, 2023, 09:43:09 AM »

Chris Murray - Reno, NV

Wait....MU still is not ranked by all 9 of these guys?  Or is this from last week?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4461 on: January 23, 2023, 09:43:14 AM »

I don't think Marquette does anything to reach out to those voters, because in the end it really isn't that big of a deal.

But I guess we can now "the voters" to the list of People Who Officially Hate Marquette Basketball, alongside the referees and the announcers.

You forgot the MECCA. The MECCA hates us too.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4462 on: January 23, 2023, 09:46:44 AM »
Wait....MU still is not ranked by all 9 of these guys?  Or is this from last week?

That's last week.

Two of the nine have released their ballots and both have MU in.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4463 on: January 23, 2023, 09:46:52 AM »
I think we overestimate how much time goes into these rankings. I think if we asked 30 Scoopers to rank the Top 25, we’d get a few wild ballots.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #4464 on: January 23, 2023, 09:48:26 AM »
Kevin one that i really don't understand either. The dude is in Creighton's backyard and is an "award winning sports journalist"...yet doesn't even have Marquette as a top 25? He has 5 loss Illinois at 22 and 5 Loss Rutgers at 25. Can't tell me is based off record alone.

You have to win the NCAA tournament to come in at 25 on his ballot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4465 on: January 23, 2023, 09:51:12 AM »
Based on what we're seeing how people are voting, I think my #13 from earlier in the thread was a little overly optimistic. Seems like 15-17 range is more likely?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4466 on: January 23, 2023, 09:51:31 AM »
I wish voters would keep that same energy for Gonzaga when they lose to Loyola Marymount and Pacific, but they have a built in pass annually.

Gonzaga beat Pacific. Not by as much as they should have (they won by 9 and were tied at half) but they didn't lose to them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #4467 on: January 23, 2023, 09:52:33 AM »
MUScoop when the team is boarderline top 25: I don't want to be ranked.  Every time we get ranked we lose.  I like being the underdog and disrespected.

Also MUScoop when people don't rank us: @ THESE GUYS!

We really are that fanbase.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #4468 on: January 23, 2023, 09:53:25 AM »
MUScoop when the team is boarderline top 25: I don't want to be ranked.  Every time we get ranked we lose.  I like being the underdog and disrespected.

Also MUScoop when people don't rank us: @ THESE GUYS!

We really are that fanbase.

All part of the fun!   8-)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4469 on: January 23, 2023, 09:54:12 AM »

And MU's own marketing department.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #4470 on: January 23, 2023, 09:54:37 AM »

But i think it "could" be a big deal. Rankings, of any kind, always give a brand a credible reason to  promote themselves.  I know it's been brought up before, but top 25 puts you on sports center, is a reason that national media has to at the very least mention you, gives guys like Fanta a reason cover you more in-depth, etc.

If it were me, I'd be sending weekly scores and highlight reels to every person on that list, ensuring the MU brand is front and center every sunday night/monday morning.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #4471 on: January 23, 2023, 09:54:46 AM »

There’s a big difference between being in Omaha (Creighton) vs Lincoln (Nebraska).  Kevin appears to be drinking the Big 10 kool-aid since he’s the Husker beat writer.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4472 on: January 23, 2023, 10:04:10 AM »
I think we overestimate how much time goes into these rankings. I think if we asked 30 Scoopers to rank the Top 25, we’d get a few wild ballots.

If we asked 30 Scoopers if the sun is hot, we’d get a few wild responses
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4473 on: January 23, 2023, 10:05:56 AM »
But i think it "could" be a big deal. Rankings, of any kind, always give a brand a credible reason to  promote themselves.  I know it's been brought up before, but top 25 puts you on sports center, is a reason that national media has to at the very least mention you, gives guys like Fanta a reason cover you more in-depth, etc.

If it were me, I'd be sending weekly scores and highlight reels to every person on that list, ensuring the MU brand is front and center every sunday night/monday morning.

I'm curious if the AP poll still has the same reach and causes consequential engagement bump from a school being ranked as it once did. I mean it mainly got out to so many people because of newspapers.
Maigh Eo for Sam

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #4474 on: January 23, 2023, 10:08:44 AM »
I'm curious if the AP poll still has the same reach and causes consequential engagement bump from a school being ranked as it once did. I mean it mainly got out to so many people because of newspapers.

Many casual fans I know only realize teams are decent if they have a number by their name.  Specifically I have friends and family who will text me about Marquette, watch the games, etc when they see they're "doing good" because they got ranked.

feedback