collapse

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 02:18:09 PM]

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[Today at 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Louis Zamperini  (Read 21382 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Louis Zamperini
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2014, 02:53:48 AM »
Not sure fashionable is the defense, there's a reason why General Shinseki resigned a few weeks ago.  It was rather disgraceful what has been happening.  I'm sure for many the care is great, but what a mess.

The VA is superb at treating and rehabilitating combat wounded including mental health issues. The problems are in the care for the general vet population where many simply do not have insurance and are therefore thrown into an overburdened VA system. This could easily be fixed by throwing money at the situation but those monies are non-existent.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2014, 09:01:06 AM »
The VA is superb at treating and rehabilitating combat wounded including mental health issues. The problems are in the care for the general vet population where many simply do not have insurance and are therefore thrown into an overburdened VA system. This could easily be fixed by throwing money at the situation but those monies are non-existent.

Throwing money at the situation may work, of course we have countless examples where that hasn't worked over the years especially with Uncle Sammy or State govt.

Let's not forget, the VA budget is up 235% since 9/11.  Now stands at over $150 billion per year.  Lots of money has been spent, it's a matter of how it is spent and how things are managed.  As mentioned earlier, I have friends that work at the VA, including a former MU roommate (smart as whip).  They do very good work, but they are also receiving the bashing right now for good reason.

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/05/22/is-the-va-scandal-a-funding-issue-or-a-leadership-failure/

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2014, 09:37:11 AM »

Let's not forget, the VA budget is up 235% since 9/11. 

And the number of veteran's added to system has probably exceeded that 235% percentage since 9/11.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2014, 02:08:48 PM »

Death on call

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2014, 08:40:15 AM »
Throwing money at the situation may work, of course we have countless examples where that hasn't worked over the years especially with Uncle Sammy or State govt.

Let's not forget, the VA budget is up 235% since 9/11.  Now stands at over $150 billion per year.  Lots of money has been spent, it's a matter of how it is spent and how things are managed.  As mentioned earlier, I have friends that work at the VA, including a former MU roommate (smart as whip).  They do very good work, but they are also receiving the bashing right now for good reason.

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/05/22/is-the-va-scandal-a-funding-issue-or-a-leadership-failure/

Strong like bull, too?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2014, 09:12:01 PM »
The film Unbroken depicting Louis Zamperini's life debuts Christmas Day.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/unbroken/review/752885

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2014, 11:47:34 PM »
The film Unbroken depicting Louis Zamperini's life debuts Christmas Day.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/unbroken/review/752885

Thanks for the reminder. I am looking forward to this movie.

Death on call

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2014, 01:05:37 PM »
Thanks for the reminder. I am looking forward to this movie.

Why is it that a movie about a real hero does not get the hype that all the Marvel, DC Comics and Star Wars Super Heroes do? Just gets under my skin.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2014, 01:46:55 PM »
Why is it that a movie about a real hero does not get the hype that all the Marvel, DC Comics and Star Wars Super Heroes do? Just gets under my skin.

Because people enjoy fantasy more than reality.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2014, 02:08:58 PM »

Because people enjoy fantasy more than reality.

"The masses are asses"

~A. Hamilton

Death on call

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2014, 09:47:55 PM »
Just saw the movie with Mrs. Legs and the kids (20 and 17).  Mrs. L and I had read the book, kids had not.  Movie is excellent and true to the book, though it focuses on the running and then the wartime experience - his wife and his born again life are not covered at all.  A couple of cheesey moments (kids in particular noted the "Jesus on the cross" unsubtle imagery), but a worthy treatment of the material.  And a nice ovation at the end -- sold out theatre too. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2014, 10:15:32 PM »
Just saw the movie with Mrs. Legs and the kids (20 and 17).  Mrs. L and I had read the book, kids had not.  Movie is excellent and true to the book, though it focuses on the running and then the wartime experience - his wife and his born again life are not covered at all.  A couple of cheesey moments (kids in particular noted the "Jesus on the cross" unsubtle imagery), but a worthy treatment of the material.  And a nice ovation at the end -- sold out theatre too. 

Ha, me and Mrs Chili did the same thing tonight with two of our kids.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2014, 08:15:43 PM »
local couple who knew louis-he actually went back to japan to forgive his captors...
http://www.jrn.com/tmj4/news/Oak-Creek-couple-remembers-man-who-inspired-Unbroken-286813951.html
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2014, 12:35:55 AM »
Enjoyed the movie very much.  Our dentist has worked with Zamperini for the last few decades until his death....had some very fine things to say about him which should be of no surprise.  After a recent visit to the DDS, my son couldn't't wait to read the book.  Tonight the two of us went to the movie.  Since he went to Torrance  High School it also had a local flavor for many in the audience.  The images of Long Beach Airport at themed of the movie were cool....I fly out of their often.

feedback