[Today at 10:10:04 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Royalty  (Read 24700 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: MU Royalty
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2018, 11:59:16 AM »
I just took a look at our retired numbers list: http://www.marquettebasketball.com/retired-jerseys

I must have missed us officially unretiring 11, which of course never should have been retired in the first place. When did that happen?

I looked at the AA links and saw this DJO picture.  Where's Waldo with the Mac photo bomb?

http://www.marquettebasketball.com/all-americans

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2018, 12:49:05 PM »
I'll go out on a limb and say Marquette is the only school to retire a basketball "jersey" for a former football player who never played basketball (Bob Weingart).
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2018, 01:12:02 PM »

I agree completely on all counts.  I just think the idea that "Crean broke the rules" with Wade is a little silly.  Unless the BOT passed a resolution that was ignored, which IMO didn't happen, then the "rules" (probably more like guidelines) were changed for the best player in the program's history.  Which is just fine.

I was on some committee when Doc was retired. About the only other thing I remember doing was picking the McCahill winners. Anyway, there was a guideline/ rule? that you had to graduate.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2018, 02:00:45 PM »
I was on some committee when Doc was retired. About the only other thing I remember doing was picking the McCahill winners. Anyway, there was a guideline/ rule? that you had to graduate.

But again, who made the rule?  Because whomever has the ability to MAKE a rule, has the ability to CHANGE a rule.  (One of my organizational pet peeves by the way.)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2018, 03:06:40 PM »
I'll go out on a limb and say Marquette is the only school to retire a basketball "jersey" for a former football player who never played basketball (Bob Weingart).

Can't 38 not be worn for basketball anyways? But overall I agree
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »

Neither can 77.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2018, 04:37:35 PM »

Correct. I put jersey in quotes for that reason.
AT LEAST UNTIL THE NCAA STOPS THE DISCRIMINATION AND STARTS HIRING POLYDACTYL REFEREES!
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2018, 07:21:44 PM »
Can one of the old timers help me out with this? I am too young to have seen Chones play, even professionally. Many here seem to put him and Wade in a category of player all their own, and his college numbers certainly support that.

My question is, if Chones is on the same level as Wade, why is his professional career not as decorated? I look at Wade and I see over a dozen all star appearances, 3 national championships, a finals MVP, a scoring champion, and whole bunch of All NBA team appearances. Chones was All Rookie for the ABA, and was eventually a national champion, but on that team he was the 4th or 5th best player (no shame in that when two of the players ahead of you are Magic and Kareem). Wade is a surefire HOFer and Chones will never make it.

Was there injuries? Was he just one of those guys that didn't translate as well to the professional game? Is it because he started in the ABA? Or am I totally off base and his career was just as impressive as Wade's but I'm not understanding the times?

Please understand, I'm not trying disparage Chones in any way. I'm just trying to understand how a guy considered near equal to Wade in college isn't joining Wade in the NBA's pantheon.

Others stated it pretty well.  Chones was close to the leading scorer on a few of the Cavs teams he played on.  He played with guys like Campy Russell, Kareem, Walt Frazier, Austin Carr, Magic Johnson, Jamal Wilkes and the like.  Some high volume scorers.  Jim was good, quality NBA player.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2018, 11:23:51 PM »
sultan

Simple, anyone that knows anything about MU ball knows Chones was an all, all time great. In my mind, #22 retired 40 + years ago. The fact that others have worn that number is meaningless to me.

Brother Goose:

Some of the folks who wore 22 after Mr. Chones were pretty good. They include:

Lloyd Walton PhD (right after Mr. Chones left)
Dwayne Johnson
Jerel McNeal
Wally (OK, not really)

Yes, I know Brian Wardle did too, as did Katin Reinhardt.

Nobody on this list is anywhere near Mr. Chones' ability. But of this group, Lloyd was really someone special as was Jerel.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2018, 07:41:12 PM »
Brother Goose:

Some of the folks who wore 22 after Mr. Chones were pretty good. They include:

Lloyd Walton PhD (right after Mr. Chones left)
Dwayne Johnson
Jerel McNeal
Wally (OK, not really)

Yes, I know Brian Wardle did too, as did Katin Reinhardt.

Nobody on this list is anywhere near Mr. Chones' ability. But of this group, Lloyd was really someone special as was Jerel.

Katin was special against Nova!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2018, 08:58:17 AM »
I looked at the AA links and saw this DJO picture.  Where's Waldo with the Mac photo bomb?

http://www.marquettebasketball.com/all-americans

Literary Digest used to pick an All-American basketball team?
Have some patience, FFS.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2018, 09:46:40 AM »
Correct. I put jersey in quotes for that reason.
AT LEAST UNTIL THE NCAA STOPS THE DISCRIMINATION AND STARTS HIRING POLYDACTYL REFEREES!
Amazingly, other sports have figured out how to make the seemingly insurmountable leap of how to indicate a number greater than 5 with hand signals.  Apparently it is a closely guarded secret and basketball has been unable to master that technological advance.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2018, 03:18:23 PM »
Amazingly, other sports have figured out how to make the seemingly insurmountable leap of how to indicate a number greater than 5 with hand signals.  Apparently it is a closely guarded secret and basketball has been unable to master that technological advance.

NBA refs apparently can master the technique, too. If they ever would call a moving screen on Jae -they won't, not on him or anybody else because moving screens apparently no longer exist - they would have no trouble signaling 99 to the scorer's table.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2018, 04:12:55 PM »

Actually the NBA has figured it out. Andrei Kirilenko was given special permission to wear the number 47, he wore it his entire NBA career. This allowed him to have the nickname AK-47. Which was fitting because his hometown is where the weapon was first manufactured.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2018, 05:21:58 AM »
Actually the NBA has figured it out. Andrei Kirilenko was given special permission to wear the number 47, he wore it his entire NBA career. This allowed him to have the nickname AK-47. Which was fitting because his hometown is where the weapon was first manufactured.

Best nickname in sports, ever. Initials, number, Russian gun, he's a Russian Gunner, hometown. Just perfect.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2018, 10:22:48 AM »

Did he need to have permission?  They’ve allowed digits greater than five for awhile.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »

Did he need to have permission?  They’ve allowed digits greater than five for awhile.

They have? I don't pay attention to NBA numbers but AK47 is the only one I knew about off the top of my head.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2018, 12:01:33 PM »
They have? I don't pay attention to NBA numbers but AK47 is the only one I knew about off the top of my head.

Bill Russell was #6. Bob Pettit was #9. John Havlicek #17. Etc.

I don’t think they’ve ever not allowed those digits.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »
Bill Russell was #6. Bob Pettit was #9. John Havlicek #17. Etc.

I don’t think they’ve ever not allowed those digits.
So is there some reason college doesn't?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2018, 12:34:59 PM »
So is there some reason college doesn't?

Their refs are bad enough without having to concentrate on using two hands twice to indicate a foul?

Honestly I don’t know why.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2018, 01:03:10 PM »
Back in the day, teams would wear even numbers at home and odd on the road. Supposedly it was so there was only one number on the court and the scorekeeper wouldn’t get confused.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2018, 01:36:45 PM »
Back in the day, teams would wear even numbers at home and odd on the road. Supposedly it was so there was only one number on the court and the scorekeeper wouldn’t get confused.

Interesting. What day was this back in?

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2018, 01:54:20 PM »
Interesting. What day was this back in?

In Wisconsin high school, I think the odd/even ended in the early 70's.  Although some schools kept the numbering systems until they purchased new jerseys a few years later.

I don't remember odd/even in college, but there are records of it occurring, mostly pre WWII.
I read Tennessee kept the odd/even until 1972 when freshman became eligible.  I guess they weren't able to outfit everyone with 17 eligible home #'s and 17 road #'s
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:58:37 PM by oldwarrior81 »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »
In Wisconsin high school, I think the odd/even ended in the early 70's.  Although some schools kept the numbering systems until they purchased new jerseys a few years later.

I don't remember odd/even in college, but there are records of it occurring, mostly pre WWII.
I read Tennessee kept the odd/even until 1972 when freshman became eligible.  I guess they weren't able to outfit everyone with 17 eligible home #'s and 17 road #'s

My HS used the even/odd numbers until at least the mid-80's.