'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Masks at Fiserv Forum  (Read 27168 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Masks at Fiserv Forum
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2021, 12:59:41 PM »
The mods are super generous right now
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2021, 01:04:59 PM »
The mods are super apathetic right now
fify

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2021, 01:07:04 PM »
There probably aren’t going to be close to 18,000 people at the game tomorrow. There are a lot of factors that will keep the crowd down, including:

1. The students are out of school.

2. 11 AM on NY Day is not going to be an attractive time for a lot of people, either because they have had New Years Eve activities, because they are traveling from holiday events, or because they just think that 11 AM is too early for a basketball game.

3. There is a risk of a significant snowfall hitting southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois on Saturday and that might prompt people who have to travel any significant distance to skip the game.

4. People who vehemently object to the mask requirement might stay home as might people who are concerned about going to an indoor event with any kind of crowd where they know that many people will ignore or do their best to circumvent the requirement.

This is all on top of the fact that I suspect that MU season ticket sales are down this year from two years ago. There are a lot of seats near ours that have had season ticket holders in them since FF opened that have been empty this season.

I take some issue to your point number 1. I think someone can be concerned enough about catching COVID (or any infectious disease) without having to stay home from any event with a significant crowd. Someone who is fully vaccinated and boosted and is willing to wear a mask might be reasonably confident that he won’t be stricken with a serious illness. But he might still appreciate it if others would be willing to take some precautions to reduce the risk of getting infected.

You are suggesting that anyone who attends a game either has no concern about catching COVID or is irrational. I don’t think it’s that black and white.

Blue, I know about a dozen people that are double vaxed, boosted, and are very responsible going out, masking, and social distancing.  They have all gotten covid the past 5 days and a few have more than mild symptoms.  If you are going to a basketball game, or frankly out to dinner, omicron doesn't care.  It's not per se black and white but if you actually think a cloth mask with a zillion people around you is going to do much to stop the spread, think again.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 01:09:07 PM by MuggsyB »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2021, 01:10:44 PM »
I’m assuming no one is up in arms because no one believes you.

So, you're calling me a liar? You should be ashamed of yourself and apologize.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 02:06:20 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2021, 01:25:30 PM »
Blue, I know about a dozen people that are double vaxed, boosted, and are very responsible going out, masking, and social distancing.  They have all gotten covid the past 5 days and a few have more than mild symptoms.  If you are going to a basketball game, or frankly out to dinner, omicron doesn't care.  It's not per se black and white but if you actually think a cloth mask with a zillion people around you is going to do much to stop the spread, think again.

You know 12 people who were boosted but still got COVID? Was their direct contact one person/place?  Curious

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2021, 02:04:49 PM »

I didn’t say anything about a cloth mask or a zillion people, but OK. And I don’t know what you mean by “more than mild” symptoms. A bad cold or flu produces more than mild symptoms, and I’ve had plenty of those over the years. I’m reluctant to start avoiding any activity that might lead to an illness with some uncomfortable symptoms.

If the risk of serious illness and hospitalization, even for fully vaccinated and boosted individuals, is as great as you are suggesting, then the CDC is dramatically understating the seriousness of omicron, and we’re going to need to use Fiserv Forum as an emergency hospital once all of the people who have packed airports and attended holiday gatherings return home.

But, it’s interesting to see that people who favored doing nothing in March 2020 so we could achieve herd immunity are now advocating for people to stay home from any public event.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2021, 02:17:20 PM »
You know 12 people who were boosted but still got COVID? Was their direct contact one person/place?  Curious

No.  It was various places and States although four were from one establishment.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #157 on: December 30, 2021, 02:24:33 PM »
I didn’t say anything about a cloth mask or a zillion people, but OK. And I don’t know what you mean by “more than mild” symptoms. A bad cold or flu produces more than mild symptoms, and I’ve had plenty of those over the years. I’m reluctant to start avoiding any activity that might lead to an illness with some uncomfortable symptoms.

If the risk of serious illness and hospitalization, even for fully vaccinated and boosted individuals, is as great as you are suggesting, then the CDC is dramatically understating the seriousness of omicron, and we’re going to need to use Fiserv Forum as an emergency hospital once all of the people who have packed airports and attended holiday gatherings return home.

But, it’s interesting to see that people who favored doing nothing in March 2020 so we could achieve herd immunity are now advocating for people to stay home from any public event.

None are seriously ill, and I'm not advocating for anything.  My simple point is you're not protected from getting this strain.   So if you are worried about getting omicron in any form you probably shouldn't go to basketball games and restaurants or feel any security with a cloth mask.  If you feel comfortable then by all means go.  Again, it's best to be fully vaccinated.  Nevertheless, people fully vaxed are getting omicron and spreading it as of course are the unvaxed.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2021, 02:29:42 PM »
And don't create false narratives Blue,   I never stated "do nothing".  I stated lockdowns for as long as we had them were more detrimental than keeping the economy open from a total health perspective.  That conceivably people would have herd immunity although that doesn't seem to have worked in Sweden.  Nevertheless, they are doing better than average than the rest of Europe.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 02:31:32 PM by MuggsyB »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #159 on: December 30, 2021, 02:30:17 PM »
None are seriously ill, and I'm not advocating for anything.  My simple point is you're not protected from getting this strain.   So if you are worried about getting omicron in any form you probably shouldn't go to basketball games and restaurants or feel any security with a cloth mask.  If you feel comfortable then by all means go.  Again, it's best to be fully vaccinated.  Nevertheless, people fully vaxed are getting omicron and spreading it as of course are the unvaxed.

But if you decide to do all of these things, it's still better to wear any mask than none.

Sorry, had to finish your thought to round it out.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2021, 02:32:27 PM »
But if you decide to do all of these things, it's still better to wear any mask than none.

Sorry, had to finish your thought to round it out.

I agree with that.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2021, 03:00:57 PM »

So, then, if you were going to be in Milwaukee on Saturday, would you go to the game?

If yes, is that because you wouldn’t be concerned about contracting COVID (despite knowing a lot of vaccinated people who have gotten sick) or because you are irrational?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2021, 03:03:13 PM »

Well, I don 't want to inhale secondary smoke, hey?

Maybe that's why smoking is banned in Fiserv and nearly all other public gathering places.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2021, 03:03:39 PM »
I agree with that.

Don’t come to Milwaukee.  4 out of 5 dentists agree you will get shot

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2021, 03:07:25 PM »

So, you're calling me a liar? You should be ashamed of yourself and apologize.

If people largely thought that healthcare workers were being press-ganged onto the floors despite being actively suffering from Covid they would care and react accordingly. Nobody reacted that way to what you posted. The logical conclusion is that people don't believe what you said was accurate.

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2021, 03:12:09 PM »
No, Walker was voted out.

I didn’t realize I was on the Badger site.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2021, 03:13:13 PM »
So, then, if you were going to be in Milwaukee on Saturday, would you go to the game?

If yes, is that because you wouldn’t be concerned about contracting COVID (despite knowing a lot of vaccinated people who have gotten sick) or because you are irrational?

Again, read what I wrote.  I stated if you are going to the game with the belief that your vaccinations and a cloth mask will protect you from omicron, that is irrational.  If you feel comfortable going knowing you are at risk of contracting the virus then by all means go. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 03:26:05 PM by MuggsyB »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2021, 03:21:20 PM »

Thought the doc was talking about our (WI) governor.  My apologies.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2021, 03:27:58 PM »

You're implying most Badger fans are from Madison.

That's precious.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2021, 03:30:56 PM »
I can guarantee that there won’t be 18K people there tomorrow. If you show up, you’ll probably have the whole building to yourself. How many people show up Saturday is the real question.

You won’t have the whole building to yourself because the Globetrotters will be there.

But, yes I inadvertently said “tomorrow” when I obviously meant Saturday.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2021, 03:34:19 PM »
If people largely thought that healthcare workers were being press-ganged onto the floors despite being actively suffering from Covid they would care and react accordingly. Nobody reacted that way to what you posted. The logical conclusion is that people don't believe what you said was accurate.

Believe it, dude, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2021, 04:13:29 PM »
Again, read what I wrote.  I stated if you are going to the game with the belief that your vaccinations and a cloth mask will protect you from omicron, that is irrational.  If you feel comfortable going knowing you are at risk of contracting the virus then by all means go.

I read what you wrote when you said “If you are afraid of getting Covid/omicron, regardless of masks or your vaccination status, it’s not rational to go to a basketball game with 18 K people.”

I’m just wondering how you personally feel about these risks.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #172 on: December 30, 2021, 04:30:58 PM »
I do think there is a difference between being afraid of getting Covid and just being careful. I have never been afraid to getting Covid, yet I have tried to make the right decisions more times than not. My not going to the game is more due to being cautious. There are other factors as well, chance for snow and Dry January. I would like to make it past the first weekend before it becomes Wet January.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2021, 04:41:06 PM »
I'm more concerned about the disruption a COVID case would cause to my personal/professional life than I am about my health. I've got mRNA up to my eyeballs.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #174 on: December 30, 2021, 04:45:55 PM »
I get tested tomorrow 😬

feedback