'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Masks at Fiserv Forum  (Read 27167 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Masks at Fiserv Forum
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2021, 10:55:59 AM »
As someone who is a caregiver and got my Moderna shots even before I was supposed to and got my booster early, I have to say this board is filled with really awful people.

Wishing Darwinism to weed out people you don't like?  Wishing insurance rates to skyrocket because people made decisions you don't like?

Just vile people here.  And liberals, every last one of them.

I don't go on the COVID board so maybe that's happening there, but I haven't seen anyone in this thread wish Darwinism on anyone. I have seen one or two people talk about higher insurance rates for the unvaccinated, but isn't that just capitalism? Private entity sees a cost and takes steps to mitigate said cost?

And let's be clear, this isn't about making a decision someone doesn't like. It's about making a decision that negatively impacts the health and wellbeing of those that that someone cares about.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 11:05:46 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2021, 10:59:28 AM »
Either way, it's mostly people just venting here.  No amount of crying on this forum is going to change the policy at the Fiserv.

What do you mean by this? We WILL change the policy, and it's not fair to say otherwise! Waaaaa!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2021, 11:27:58 AM »
I don't go on the COVID board so maybe that's happening there, but I haven't seen anyone in this thread wish Darwinism on anyone. I have seen one or two people talk about higher insurance rates for the unvaccinated, but isn't that just capitalism? Private entity sees a cost and takes steps to mitigate said cost?

And let's be clear, this isn't about making a decision someone doesn't like. It's about making a decision that negatively impacts the health and wellbeing of those that that someone cares about.

It’s not rampant but it’s happened a number of times.  Lots of boogeymen and need for blame and direct individual responsibility for deaths

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2021, 11:29:57 AM »

I didn't say they weren't health issues that we should be dealing with.  I said they aren't communicable diseases.

IMO, I can't pass obesity along to the stranger sitting next to me.

Well, I don 't want to inhale secondary smoke, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #129 on: December 30, 2021, 11:42:22 AM »

Wear a mask.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 30, 2021, 11:48:43 AM »
So, I know a nurse, who tested positive for covid. She called the hospital where she works to tell them of her intended absence. She was told to report to work anyway. They're short handed.For all you covid phobs, guess what? Ya ain't safe nowhere, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #131 on: December 30, 2021, 11:51:03 AM »
I don't get the whole "since I can take my mask off in my seat to eat or drink, the whole mask thing is stupid" philosophy.

When you are walking around breathing without a mask you are sharing your spittle and viral particles with whomever you walk past or talk to.  If you wear a mask that mitigates the sharing of your spittle and breath.  That makes a mask at that point still valuable.

When sitting in your seat eating, you are not breathing out amongst the masses, but in your confined little space.  So you are now putting those next to you in possible harm's way, but that is a small group (and perhaps some of that group is already within your circles) and for a limited (hopefully) period of time. 

Obviously if they wanted to be completely serious about it, they would eliminate concessions completely and require full masks for the entire time you are present in the FF.  Practically speaking that is not very probable as they are trying to run a business, so they create rules that should help mitigate overall, but still allow patrons to enjoy their time. 

Why is it always all or nothing?  Mitigation measures are important and rational.

Really tired of some of my fellow Americans.

If you breathe ~15 times per minute for three hours (180 minutes), that puts you around 2700 breaths while you're in the arena. If you wear your mask except to eat and drink, let's say a total of 30 minutes, you are covered for 2250 breaths. You are mitigating for 83% of your breathing, which is far better than 0, while still being able to attend the game and have something eat or drink.

It's not perfect but if we do what we need to, we can do what we want to - in this case see a game in person. Let's mitigate so we can keep the Fiserv open to fans and keep each other healthy.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 30, 2021, 11:51:24 AM »

Agreed. That’s why there are laws against smoking in public places indoors. Kind of like, you know, wearing masks indoors in public places.

Huh.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #133 on: December 30, 2021, 11:52:32 AM »
So, I know a nurse, who tested positive for covid. She called the hospital where she works to tell them of her intended absence. She was told to report to work anyway. They're short handed.For all you covid phobs, guess what? Ya ain't safe nowhere, aina?

And why is there such a strong demand for nursing at the moment I wonder?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #134 on: December 30, 2021, 11:53:50 AM »

If you breathe ~15 times per minute for three hours (180 minutes), that puts you around 2700 breaths while you're in the arena. If you wear your mask except to eat and drink, let's say a total of 30 minutes, you are covered for 2250 breaths. You are mitigating for 83% of your breathing, which is far better than 0, while still being able to attend the game and have something eat or drink.

It's not perfect but if we do what we need to, we can do what we want to - in this case see a game in person. Let's mitigate so we can keep the Fiserv open to fans and keep each other healthy.

Yeah I don’t get the “if we can’t do everything possible, why do anything at all.” That’s like saying “since seat belts don’t save lives 100% of the time, why wear them at all.” 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #135 on: December 30, 2021, 11:54:47 AM »
You should be up in arms. A health professional, with covid, is being told to work, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #136 on: December 30, 2021, 12:00:36 PM »
Found out wife’s close friend has a benign brain tumor, causing seizures and vision loss.  Surgery keeps getting postponed due to hospital full of un-vaxed Covid patients.

And yet her long-term boyfriend still won’t get a vax. I asked if her strategy was to lose the boyfriend or she is waiting for Covid to do it for her?

Spoke with a friend/doctor who is on the advising board for Aurora today...they are being forced to close urgent care clinics and he had to have a stroke patient flighted across the lake today to MI because they couldn't find a bed for him.  He said about 88% of those in the ICU for Covid are unvaccinated.  Makes me so angry and sad...can only imagine what it's like for the guy's family.

So yeah...if wearing a mask at fiserv might lead to one extra bed being open I'm good with it.  Beats the hell out of watching a friend tear up over the choices they are having to make in hospitals right now.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 12:14:45 PM by PointWarrior »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2021, 12:10:08 PM »

Which is why -- unlike being near an obese person, which doesn't affect anybody else -- every state has laws restricting where smokers can smoke. It is quite easy to avoid cigarette and cigar smoke anywhere one goes in 2021.

30 years ago, who ever thought there would be laws that protected non-smokers by preventing smokers from smoking in bars?

And there are significant consequences for those who choose to smoke, too -- above and beyond the fact that most of them will be sicker and will die sooner. For one thing, they have to pay significantly higher rates for health insurance, and it's harder and/or more expensive for them to get life insurance.

Nice having this conversation with you, sir.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2021, 12:10:17 PM »
You should be up in arms. A health professional, with covid, is being told to work, hey?

I’m assuming no one is up in arms because no one believes you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #139 on: December 30, 2021, 12:12:45 PM »
Yeah I don’t get the “if we can’t do everything possible, why do anything at all.” That’s like saying “since seat belts don’t save lives 100% of the time, why wear them at all.”

This has been the gun-lovers' argument forever. "Common-sense gun regulations -- even those that 90% of Americans favor -- won't end all gun deaths, so why bother having them?"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2021, 12:13:41 PM »

She should tell them she isn't coming in.  There are rules, and if the hospital isn't following them then the nurse should stand up for herself.

What are they going to do?  Fire a Covid positive nurse that is following the proper protocols?

That'd be quite the news story.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2021, 12:15:18 PM »
Green jacket, gold jacket who gives a crap… just so long as we can go to the games in person, last year sucked

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2021, 12:16:46 PM »
6-12 inches of snow expected January 1.  Plenty of room to social distance.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2021, 12:17:07 PM »
Too lazy to look. Will Fiserv be dictating the type of mask people will be wearing?

https://www.deseret.com/coronavirus/2021/12/29/22858397/cloth-masks-stop-omicron-variant-covid-19

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #144 on: December 30, 2021, 12:27:40 PM »
Too lazy to look. Will Fiserv be dictating the type of mask people will be wearing?

https://www.deseret.com/coronavirus/2021/12/29/22858397/cloth-masks-stop-omicron-variant-covid-19

Too lazy to respond to something already addressed multiple times.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #145 on: December 30, 2021, 12:29:54 PM »
I'm not sure why people need to attack each other.

I think we can all agree on two points:

1) If you are afraid of getting covid/omicron, regardless of masks or your vaccination status, it's not rational to go to a basketball game with 18K people.

2) Hospital overcapacity impacts a huge amount of people and is a significant problem right now.  The vast, vast, vast, majority of those taking up ICU's are those that are unvaccinated.

There probably aren’t going to be close to 18,000 people at the game tomorrow. There are a lot of factors that will keep the crowd down, including:

1. The students are out of school.

2. 11 AM on NY Day is not going to be an attractive time for a lot of people, either because they have had New Years Eve activities, because they are traveling from holiday events, or because they just think that 11 AM is too early for a basketball game.

3. There is a risk of a significant snowfall hitting southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois on Saturday and that might prompt people who have to travel any significant distance to skip the game.

4. People who vehemently object to the mask requirement might stay home as might people who are concerned about going to an indoor event with any kind of crowd where they know that many people will ignore or do their best to circumvent the requirement.

This is all on top of the fact that I suspect that MU season ticket sales are down this year from two years ago. There are a lot of seats near ours that have had season ticket holders in them since FF opened that have been empty this season.

I take some issue to your point number 1. I think someone can be concerned enough about catching COVID (or any infectious disease) without having to stay home from any event with a significant crowd. Someone who is fully vaccinated and boosted and is willing to wear a mask might be reasonably confident that he won’t be stricken with a serious illness. But he might still appreciate it if others would be willing to take some precautions to reduce the risk of getting infected.

You are suggesting that anyone who attends a game either has no concern about catching COVID or is irrational. I don’t think it’s that black and white.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2021, 12:42:55 PM »
Going to a game is different than viewing on TV, Tex.

“Simply easier” is fine if it was useful. Me with a mask or not in a mask isn’t helping or hurting anyone, it’s just stupid.
#scientifically illiterate
#dumb
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #147 on: December 30, 2021, 12:44:01 PM »
Oh, I absolutely have and continue to withhold info from this site.
#ohnoes!
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #148 on: December 30, 2021, 12:51:03 PM »
I am taking a pass on the Creighton game and probably will for a while. My reasoning is not mask related, but I really do not get the mask mandate at FF. I have dodged Covid for two years and want to continue dodging it and will be doing my best to avoid crowds until things cool down. I went to the UConn game and did not think it was the smartest thing to do but went anyways. With having an 86y mother-in-law I see often and three granddaughters I am going to lay low until the dust clears.

Like everyone with a brain, I am so sick and tired of Covid and pissed off we are still in this mess. I have enjoyed going to the games more than I have in ages and want to be at the FF, not watching from home. To make things worse, I think restrictions might get tighter if things keep going badly and I will no choice but watch from home.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #149 on: December 30, 2021, 12:58:50 PM »
There probably aren’t going to be close to 18,000 people at the game tomorrow. There are a lot of factors that will keep the crowd down, including:

1. The students are out of school.

2. 11 AM on NY Day is not going to be an attractive time for a lot of people, either because they have had New Years Eve activities, because they are traveling from holiday events, or because they just think that 11 AM is too early for a basketball game.

3. There is a risk of a significant snowfall hitting southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois on Saturday and that might prompt people who have to travel any significant distance to skip the game.

4. People who vehemently object to the mask requirement might stay home as might people who are concerned about going to an indoor event with any kind of crowd where they know that many people will ignore or do their best to circumvent the requirement.

This is all on top of the fact that I suspect that MU season ticket sales are down this year from two years ago. There are a lot of seats near ours that have had season ticket holders in them since FF opened that have been empty this season.

I take some issue to your point number 1. I think someone can be concerned enough about catching COVID (or any infectious disease) without having to stay home from any event with a significant crowd. Someone who is fully vaccinated and boosted and is willing to wear a mask might be reasonably confident that he won’t be stricken with a serious illness. But he might still appreciate it if others would be willing to take some precautions to reduce the risk of getting infected.

You are suggesting that anyone who attends a game either has no concern about catching COVID or is irrational. I don’t think it’s that black and white.

I can guarantee that there won’t be 18K people there tomorrow. If you show up, you’ll probably have the whole building to yourself. How many people show up Saturday is the real question.

feedback