[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wichita State to the AAC  (Read 23740 times)

LAMUfan

• All American
Re: Wichita State to the AAC
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2017, 04:50:58 PM »
Man I don't know. Maybe it's just irrational thoughts on my part. But I'm getting atleast an email or two a week about muggings, possible shootings, car break ins or break ins.

But it could be over reaction

I have been in and around MU consistently since 2002 and It feels pretty much the same on the crime front to me but who knows.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2017, 05:56:28 PM »
Oh the crime thing doesn't really need to be factored in. It's getting pretty rough around MU's campus more so recently. It's a shame.

And your evidence is... what?

Actually, the crime rate has plummeted on and around campus in the past couple of years, especially since Public Safety became the Marquette University Police Department.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2017, 06:09:55 PM »
For the record, Cosby has been given dozens of honorary degrees and Marquette was the first one to revoke theirs.

Then it was the Philly bumble who gave him the degree in the first place seven years AFTER the first Cosby settlement which was very public.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2017, 06:30:11 PM »
And your evidence is... what?

Actually, the crime rate has plummeted on and around campus in the past couple of years, especially since Public Safety became the Marquette University Police Department.

Please see previous post based on number of weekly emails I get about crime type events on campus.

And as others have said, there may be a difference based on how they consider crimes now.

Sorry if you disagree. I'm just going off what I've been seeing during my time in grad school.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2017, 07:07:48 PM »

Oh, you mean this?

Man I don't know. Maybe it's just irrational thoughts on my part. But I'm getting atleast an email or two a week about muggings, possible shootings, car break ins or break ins.

I believe that is what is commonly known as  "anecdotal evidence".

Here are some actual statistics:

https://news.marquette.edu/news-releases/marquette-university-police-department-reports-significant-drop-in-crime-during-first-full-year/

Marquette University Police Department reports significant drop in crime during first full year
September 20, 2016

MILWAUKEE — During its first full year since it was commissioned, the Marquette University Police Department recorded a significant reduction in crime throughout its patrol zone.

Comparing the fiscal year that ended June 30, 2016 with the previous fiscal year, MUPD’s crime reduction highlights included the following:

42% decrease in robberies
62% decrease in battery/assault
23% decrease in burglaries

“Ensuring a safe environment is a top priority for Marquette University, and I’m incredibly proud of all the work our officers have done on behalf of our entire community, including our students, faculty and staff,” said MUPD Chief Paul Mascari. “We take a comprehensive approach to community policing, which includes specialized training in subjects such as crisis intervention, outreach to members of our homeless population and fair and impartial policing. We are committed to Marquette’s mission, which calls us to serve and care for others.”

These statistics include activity in MUPD’s patrol zone, which extends beyond Marquette’s campus to include a significant portion of the surrounding community. They compare the most recent fiscal year, spanning July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016, to the previous fiscal year, spanning July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2015.

MUPD became a commissioned police department on May 1, 2015.

The department currently has 40 commissioned officers who receive the state-mandated 520 hours of training, as well as a psychological review, medical evaluation and drug test. All officers also receive training in homeless outreach, crisis intervention and fair and impartial policing.

Prior to becoming a commissioned police department, Marquette’s former Department of Public Safety spent 15 years building an extensive safety infrastructure which includes more than 700 cameras, over 450 blue light emergency phones, a state-of-the-art command center, campus-wide text alert system and a nationally recognized student safety program.
Have some patience, FFS.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2017, 07:19:25 PM »
I'm amazed at how relevant Marquette's crime statistics are to the discussion regarding Wichita State joining the AAC.

“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

fjm

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2017, 08:22:30 PM »
Oh, you mean this?

I believe that is what is commonly known as  "anecdotal evidence".

Here are some actual statistics:

https://news.marquette.edu/news-releases/marquette-university-police-department-reports-significant-drop-in-crime-during-first-full-year/

Marquette University Police Department reports significant drop in crime during first full year
September 20, 2016

MILWAUKEE — During its first full year since it was commissioned, the Marquette University Police Department recorded a significant reduction in crime throughout its patrol zone.

Comparing the fiscal year that ended June 30, 2016 with the previous fiscal year, MUPD’s crime reduction highlights included the following:

42% decrease in robberies
62% decrease in battery/assault
23% decrease in burglaries

“Ensuring a safe environment is a top priority for Marquette University, and I’m incredibly proud of all the work our officers have done on behalf of our entire community, including our students, faculty and staff,” said MUPD Chief Paul Mascari. “We take a comprehensive approach to community policing, which includes specialized training in subjects such as crisis intervention, outreach to members of our homeless population and fair and impartial policing. We are committed to Marquette’s mission, which calls us to serve and care for others.”

These statistics include activity in MUPD’s patrol zone, which extends beyond Marquette’s campus to include a significant portion of the surrounding community. They compare the most recent fiscal year, spanning July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016, to the previous fiscal year, spanning July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2015.

MUPD became a commissioned police department on May 1, 2015.

The department currently has 40 commissioned officers who receive the state-mandated 520 hours of training, as well as a psychological review, medical evaluation and drug test. All officers also receive training in homeless outreach, crisis intervention and fair and impartial policing.

Prior to becoming a commissioned police department, Marquette’s former Department of Public Safety spent 15 years building an extensive safety infrastructure which includes more than 700 cameras, over 450 blue light emergency phones, a state-of-the-art command center, campus-wide text alert system and a nationally recognized student safety program.

Super cool thanks you're so good at this stuff. Should have ran past you first.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2017, 09:13:13 AM »
Here are my US News Bump Estimates for each:
1. Medical School  up 25-35
2. Wisconsin Avenue up 5-10
3. Football up 3-5

I know you believe crime will increase. I have the opposite view, I believe crime would decrease. I have asked this question to campus security and they agree.

The only thing that might be right is the medical school.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2017, 09:27:39 AM »
Couldn't disagree more. I shouldn't even ask, but what in your mind are the other two?
Dropping the Block Party
Hiring Dukiet
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:29:10 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2017, 10:39:29 AM »
Dropping Football was one of the three great mistakes MU made over the last 57 years.

When did avoiding bankruptcy become a mistake?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2017, 10:44:46 AM »

Likely false news sent out by Badger trolls financed by Russia.  There's a reason Wisconisn wears red.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2017, 10:47:48 AM »
Our US News ranking , endowment and overall prestige of the University would have been much higher. I still think we should try and do all three.

I recommend starting with football first since it is likely to be cheaper than either starting a med school from scratch or gaining control of enough Wisconsin Legistlature seats to get the closing of Wisconsin avenue approved.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »
I recommend starting with football first since it is likely to be cheaper than either starting a med school from scratch or gaining control of enough Wisconsin Legistlature seats to get the closing of Wisconsin avenue approved.

I don't know much about what it takes to add a med school but given the prestige and how advanced our Nursing and PT programs are isn't there a pretty solid foundation set already?
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2017, 01:30:31 PM »
Here are my US News Bump Estimates for each:
1. Medical School  up 25-35
2. Wisconsin Avenue up 5-10
3. Football up 3-5

I know you believe crime will increase. I have the opposite view, I believe crime would decrease. I have asked this question to campus security and they agree.

1.  Facts are beautiful things.  I did a little research on my lunch hour, and discovered that there were 6 Universities in the top 150 of USNR that opened up medical schools in the last decade.  I made a little table of how their rankings changed.

University          Med School Established   Ranking before Med School     Ranking in 2017        Spots Risen (Dropped)

UC Riverside               2008                                          96                       118                                 (22)
Virginia Tech            2008                                          71                        74                                    3
U of South Carolina    2012                                        115                       107                                    8
Arizona                    2012                                         124                       124                                    -
Texas                    2013                                          46                         56                                 (10)
Washington State    2015                                         138                       143                                   (5)

Yeah I am not seeing the 25-35 spot jump.

2.  I have never seen or heard an opinion by anyone remotely connected to Marquette campus security that believes closing Wisconsin Avenue would improve security.  If they did that, there are places on campus where the closet patrol car would always be several blocks away and well out of the line of sight of anyone in a patrol car.  Who are these "campus security" types of whom you speak? 

3.  Having a money-sucking sport like football would take resources away from academic programs, and likely slow the growth of the endowment, and that is definitely something that would negatively impact our ranking.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:53:59 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2017, 01:43:26 PM »
Damn chick, great info all around on this thread

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2017, 01:49:18 PM »
1.  Facts are beautiful things.  I did a little research on my lunch hour, and discovered that there were 6 Universities in the top 150 of USNR that opened up medical schools in the last decade.  I made a little table of how their rankings changed.

University          Med School Established   Ranking before Med School     Ranking in 201 Spots Risen (Dropped)

UC Riverside               2008                                          96                       118                                 (22)
Virginia Tech            2008                                          71                        74                                    3
U of South Carolina    2012                                        115                       107                                    8
Arizona                    2012                                         124                       124                                    -
Texas                    2013                                          46                         56                                 (10)
Washington State    2015                                         138                       143                                   (5)

Yeah I am not seeing the 25-30 spot jump.

2.  I have never seen or heard an opinion by anyone remotely connected to Marquette campus security that believes closing Wisconsin Avenue would improve security.  If they did that, there are places on campus where the closet patrol car would always be several blocks away and well out of the line of sight of anyone in a patrol car.  Who are these "campus security" types of whom you speak? 
3.  Having a money-sucking sport like football would take resources away from academic programs, and likely slow the growth of the endowment, and that is definitely something that would negatively impact our ranking.
Short of the President he seems to talk to everyone in US
Goal is National Championship

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2017, 02:11:20 PM »

University          Med School Established   Ranking before Med School     Ranking in 201 Spots Risen (Dropped)

Yeah I am not seeing the 25-30 spot jump.

Bravo.  Thanks for sharing.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2017, 05:09:50 PM »
Short of the President he seems to talk to everyone in US
It's not that hard when the voices all emanate from inside your own head
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2017, 05:13:15 PM »
It's not that hard when the voices all emanate from inside your own head

Haha! It keeps things fresh for him.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2017, 05:27:33 PM »

It's not the Legislature (most of whom dislike or don't acknowledge MU) but the City Council.  In 1995 they voted 9-8, with the rep who represented MU, casting the deciding vote against closing Wisconsin Ave. MU has since given up on it happening.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2017, 05:50:09 PM »
It's not the Legislature (most of whom dislike or don't acknowledge MU) but the City Council.  In 1995 they voted 9-8, with the rep who represented MU, casting the deciding vote against closing Wisconsin Ave. MU has since given up on it happening.

I don't think it is that MU gave up as much as they realized it wasn't such a great idea after all.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2017, 06:10:00 PM »

University          Med School Established   Ranking before Med School     Ranking in 2017        Spots Risen (Dropped)

Yeah I am not seeing the 25-35 spot jump.

1. We would not be opening a new Medical School. Our former school is now the Medical College of Wisconsin, which is highly regarded and has a very larg endowment . All of that would have enured to our benefit. I believe if we were to put up 50-100 million over a multi year period we could put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Instant prestige.
2. Any security professional will tell you ,and MU security is in agreement, that the criminals have easier escape routes on Wisconsin avenue. That's why lots of crimes are committed on that north campus area above 16th street. Make Wisconsin avenue a pedestrian mall and cops can patrol that with motorcycles bikes etc . Getting rid of the bus stop gets rid of lots of undesirables.
3. Football can be in Pioneer League non scholarship. At that point it is no more expensive than a D3 program and doesn't interfere with title IX We can play in Hart Park and it would be a great deal of fun for everyone. Builds spirit .  Works well for Butler.

We need to think Big. small thinking results in stagnation. Lovell and Company are slowly degrading our US News ranking and conning the good hearted people like your self into thinking it's a good thing. We need better performance from Lovell .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »
I always knew pioneer league football was the key to academic success.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2017, 06:41:44 PM »

Because it is a bad idea.

First, Wisconsin Avenue wasn't going to be closed.  They were going divert traffic by cutting south diagonally between 20th and 18th Streets to Clybourn Street, then up 11th Street back up to Wisconsin.  Here is a map:

http://urbanmilwaukee.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Scan10013.jpg

Second, this was handled by the DiUlio administration in its typical pompous, tone-deaf manner.  They basically tried to force it through without lobbying the people that needed to be talked to.  Including the local alderman.

So it died the death it deserved.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2017, 07:17:10 PM »
1. We would not be opening a new Medical School. Our former school is now the Medical College of Wisconsin, which is highly regarded and has a very larg endowment . All of that would have enured to our benefit. I believe if we were to put up 50-100 million over a multi year period we could put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Instant prestige.
2. Any security professional will tell you ,and MU security is in agreement, that the criminals have easier escape routes on Wisconsin avenue. That's why lots of crimes are committed on that north campus area above 16th street. Make Wisconsin avenue a pedestrian mall and cops can patrol that with motorcycles bikes etc . Getting rid of the bus stop gets rid of lots of undesirables.
3. Football can be in Pioneer League non scholarship. At that point it is no more expensive than a D3 program and doesn't interfere with title IX We can play in Hart Park and it would be a great deal of fun for everyone. Builds spirit .  Works well for Butler.

We need to think Big. small thinking results in stagnation. Lovell and Company are slowly degrading our US News ranking and conning the good hearted people like your self into thinking it's a good thing. We need better performance from Lovell .

This is a straight up gross statement.

feedback