[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If MU had three McDonald's AA ...  (Read 11531 times)

karavotsos

• All American
Re: If MU had three McDonald's AA ...
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »

Next year could very well be the first where Buzz doesn't return at least one double digit scorer from the year before.  We had Lazar the first year...DJO and Jimmy last year...DJO and Jae this year.

Now don't get me wrong.  I love Buzz and will get the most out of who will be back.  We also have a nice, experienced player in TJ Taylor coming in who can obviously score.

What I'm just saying is that it is silly for fans to get all over the likes of Wright and Dixon when we could very well be seeing the same thing in our future.

Jamie Dixon I agree.  One bad year when your point guard is injured is not any reason to be all over him.

Jay Wright has got to have Villanova fans at least a little concerned.  Two years ago, Scottie Reynolds was a legit POY candidate his senior year, and they imploded at the end of the year, failing to make it to the sweet 16 as a 2 seed after surviving the first round in OT.  Last year, again, they barely get into the tournament and are bounced in the first round.  This is after going Sweet 16, Elite 8, Nine Seed, Sweet 16, Final Four in the previous five years and having top recruiting classes.  Now they are not going to make the tournament this year. 

Having Yarou and Wayns to build a team around is not a bad start.  Wayns scored double digits last year.  Yarou scored 8 per game and added a jumper over the summer.

After their final four appearance in 2008, I think a lot of people had Villanova pegged as a consistent top tier team based on what Wright had done.  For three straight years, it appears they are not heading in the right direction.  I can't imagine there are not dissatisfied rumblings in Philly.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 01:44:10 PM »
Jamie Dixon I agree.  One bad year when your point guard is injured is not any reason to be all over him.

Jay Wright has got to have Villanova fans at least a little concerned.  Two years ago, Scottie Reynolds was a legit POY candidate his senior year, and they imploded at the end of the year, failing to make it to the sweet 16 as a 2 seed after surviving the first round in OT.  Last year, again, they barely get into the tournament and are bounced in the first round.  This is after going Sweet 16, Elite 8, Nine Seed, Sweet 16, Final Four in the previous five years and having top recruiting classes.  Now they are not going to make the tournament this year. 

Having Yarou and Wayns to build a team around is not a bad start.  Wayns scored double digits last year.  Yarou scored 8 per game and added a jumper over the summer.

After their final four appearance in 2008, I think a lot of people had Villanova pegged as a consistent top tier team based on what Wright had done.  For three straight years, it appears they are not heading in the right direction.  I can't imagine there are not dissatisfied rumblings in Philly.

That's a given in life, like taxes and death.

It was weird to see Wright in warm-ups. Was that a mind-game with his players? Try to do something different to "reverse the curse"?

Nova's always going to have a talented Philly to pluck their future players from, but if they start going elsewhere, Jay's gotta be worried.

Maybe a move to the ACC to join Dixon and Boeheim?
SS Marquette

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »
My point is ... so far ... we never have a down year.  And, last time I checked, we don't have any McDonald AAs.  So our coach always wins with McDonald AAs and Roy and Jay lose with lots of them on the roster. 

Have you considered that McDonalds AA's are not a true gauge of talent, but largely a recognition based on politics, shoe companies and other factors?
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 02:00:17 PM »
Have you considered that McDonalds AA's are not a true gauge of talent, but largely a recognition based on politics, shoe companies and other factors?

Yes, I think their is a lot of truth in this statement.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »
Bell was not a burger boy.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 03:35:21 PM »
... And was 10 -12 (3-7) we would be demanding Buzz's head.

Why is 'nova so bad and how much of it is Jay Wright?

There are plenty of Nova fans calling for Wright's head. Young team or not.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 04:03:53 PM »

you're awesome at stating the obvious...have you ever thought that while the rating system is far from perfect, it's still the best thing we have to judge talent out of high school. 

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2012, 05:13:04 PM »
you're awesome at stating the obvious...have you ever thought that while the rating system is far from perfect, it's still the best thing we have to judge talent out of high school. 

In the 2000's, MU has had zero McDonald's All Americans and we have somehow had the second best decade in our program's history.

In the 1980's, MU had three McDonald's All Americans and it was one of our worst decades.

It's subjective how the kids are selected.  I'm happy that our recruit from Chicago made the list.  Nice pub for MU.  Our program will survive just fine without them.  In some cases, these teams loaded with McDonald's All Americans seem to be dysfunctional at times.  Not enough playing time to go around. 

"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
In the 2000's, MU has had zero McDonald's All Americans and we have somehow had the second best decade in our program's history.

In the 1980's, MU had three McDonald's All Americans and it was one of our worst decades.

It's subjective how the kids are selected.  I'm happy that our recruit from Chicago made the list.  Nice pub for MU.  Our program will survive just fine without them.  In some cases, these teams loaded with McDonald's All Americans seem to be dysfunctional at times.  Not enough playing time to go around. 

back in the day when BMA used to post on this site he had plenty of strong evidence to show how messed up the recruiting ranking system was/is.  that's the obvious...so one would assume, by your own argument, that it's very important to have a coach and staff that can evaluate talent, not just go after McDonald AA.  I think Jay Wright has been a good evaluater of talent, and he now has a team where a few key recruits didn't develop the way he had planned.  if nova fans are calling for his head, they're nuts...when he goes, nova will slip.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »
There are plenty of Nova fans calling for Wright's head. Young team or not.

Yep.  Good friend of mine is a huge Nova fan and he says fans have been pretty pissed at Wright since last year's collapse and they are losing patience this year.  Regardless of whether you believe in the McDonald's AA process, Villanova has a lot of talent and is a huge disappointment this season.  Although, my buddy also points out that he was there during the Steve Lappas era and Wright has made a huge difference in bringing the program back from the dead.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 10:20:30 PM »
I'm kinda hoping Blue is next year's equivalent of Cheek. If you look at the numbers, Cheek wasn't very good his first two years but he has become a pretty solid (albeit inconsistent) player as a junior.

Cheek is more of an outside shooter than Blue, who is a better defender, so I'm not really comparing their skill sets. I'm just saying that maybe the third year is when Blue will make a significant leap, as Cheek has.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Norm

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 10:27:27 PM »
I'm kinda hoping Blue is next year's equivalent of Cheek. If you look at the numbers, Cheek wasn't very good his first two years but he has become a pretty solid (albeit inconsistent) player as a junior.

Cheek is more of an outside shooter than Blue, who is a better defender, so I'm not really comparing their skill sets. I'm just saying that maybe the third year is when Blue will make a significant leap, as Cheek has.

No way Cadougan ever scores on offense like Cheeks does. He'll have a good assist-to-turnover ratio, but any game we get him scoring more than 6 points is a bonus.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 12:05:23 AM »
Umm, we have him now ...

DG is averaging 12 pts and 7 reb since BE play started.

Problem solved!

If Yarou were at MU he would definitely be starting ahead of Gardener for defensive reasons.  I love Davante, but if he doesn't decide to lose more weight so he can be more mobile on defense, next year will be a lot tougher.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 07:36:15 AM »

All depends on your vantage point in life but I know two Nova insiders who think Cheek is one of the worst guards in the league and a key cog as to why this year's version isn't very good.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 08:14:48 AM »
I admit that I don't see Cheek enough to know that much about him. I was just looking at the progression of his scoring. I'd take that progression with Blue -- as long as Vander keeps playing D and rebounding.

And, of course, improves his free throw-to-slap five ratio.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 08:24:35 AM »
Yep.  Good friend of mine is a huge Nova fan and he says fans have been pretty pissed at Wright since last year's collapse and they are losing patience this year.  Regardless of whether you believe in the McDonald's AA process, Villanova has a lot of talent and is a huge disappointment this season.  Although, my buddy also points out that he was there during the Steve Lappas era and Wright has made a huge difference in bringing the program back from the dead.

This is a typical example about the unrealistic expectations of some sports fans.  Jay Wright is a very good basketball coach whose team has underperformed this year.  So you lose patience with him and...who are they going to get that is better?  And Wright's phone would be ringing off the hook if they got rid of him.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 08:27:41 AM »
This is a typical example about the unrealistic expectations of some sports fans.  Jay Wright is a very good basketball coach whose team has underperformed this year.  So you lose patience with him and...who are they going to get that is better?  And Wright's phone would be ringing off the hook if they got rid of him.

I agree with you but don't forget about nova's epic collapse down the stretch last year.  This marks two seasons wasted with all these "burger boys."  Fans should be upset.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 10:39:24 AM »

I think the Nova concern comes over many years.

A lot of the fanbase feels they didn't achieve what they should with the vaunted Ray, Foye, Sumpter, Fraser class. Granted, injuries hurt them but they were still a pretty dominant squad those years. Throw in Nardi, Lowry, Cunningham, etc. and Nova has had some very good players that came up short in March.

Wright never runs an offense. They set four screens during an entire game. They're disappointed with player development. And they feel he's missed on some top notch talent in PA/NJ.

I agree with you that it's easier to see what has been accomplished from the outside but for the fans who live in that world every day there are plenty of reasons to be frustrated.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »
I think the Nova concern comes over many years.

A lot of the fanbase feels they didn't achieve what they should with the vaunted Ray, Foye, Sumpter, Fraser class. Granted, injuries hurt them but they were still a pretty dominant squad those years. Throw in Nardi, Lowry, Cunningham, etc. and Nova has had some very good players that came up short in March.

They went to the Sweet Sixteen in 04-05 with Foye, Ray, etc. and lost by 1 point (with a bad call in there) to eventual National Champion (and NBA roster) UNC.  In 05-06 they were a 1 seed and made it to the Elite Eight before losing to eventual National Champion (and NBA roster) Florida (the last team to go back-to-back National Champions).  That's achieving pretty well.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 01:12:07 PM »
Take a look at the Duke coach's first several years. In today's environment, he would have been fired before he ever became Coach K.

Same thing with John Wooden.

This is why I never blame any coach for looking out for No. 1. Loyalty no longer is reciprocal.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2012, 01:14:43 PM »
They went to the Sweet Sixteen in 04-05 with Foye, Ray, etc. and lost by 1 point (with a bad call in there) to eventual National Champion (and NBA roster) UNC.  In 05-06 they were a 1 seed and made it to the Elite Eight before losing to eventual National Champion (and NBA roster) Florida (the last team to go back-to-back National Champions).  That's achieving pretty well.

I'd agree those are good things.

I'm relaying what my Nova insiders have told me. Considering the talent on those squads, not reaching a Final Four was considered a major letdown. Many have felt that Wright's coaching ability is lacking through the years and results, including numerous seasons of breaking down late, have added fuel to the fire.

Thus, there's a decent amount of that fanbase calling for Wright's head.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2012, 01:19:05 PM »
I'd agree those are good things.

I'm relaying what my Nova insiders have told me. Considering the talent on those squads, not reaching a Final Four was considered a major letdown. Many have felt that Wright's coaching ability is lacking through the years and results, including numerous seasons of breaking down late, have added fuel to the fire.

Thus, there's a decent amount of that fanbase calling for Wright's head.

But that's my point.  Unrealistic expectations.

Villanova has a marginally better history than Marquette.  One more final four.  One national championship.  If Buzz accomplishes what Wright has accomplished, I would be thrilled beyond belief.

Furthermore, who would they get that's any better?

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »
Take a look at the Duke coach's first several years. In today's environment, he would have been fired before he ever became Coach K.

Same thing with John Wooden.

This is why I never blame any coach for looking out for No. 1. Loyalty no longer is reciprocal.

Yep.  I think it may have been Digger Phelps who once explained that 30 years ago, if you landed a good job that you liked, you stuck with it as long as possible.  Now, if you achieve success and are able to move to a better program, you should take it while you can.  Success is fleeting, and you have to stay one step ahead of the doubters.  It's sad to think that's the way it is, but I generally agree with him.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »

I concur. Also, if you take a look at those teams, they had talent, but it was college talent. Only Kyle Lowery has turn into a solid NBA starter.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2012, 01:43:38 PM »
I concur. Also, if you take a look at those teams, they had talent, but it was college talent. Only Kyle Lowery has turn into a solid NBA starter.

Randy Foye has had a nice NBA career.

feedback