[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If MU had three McDonald's AA ...  (Read 11531 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
If MU had three McDonald's AA ...
« on: January 29, 2012, 05:27:48 AM »
... And was 10 -12 (3-7) we would be demanding Buzz's head.

Why is 'nova so bad and how much of it is Jay Wright?

avid1010

• All American
Re: If MU had three McDonald's AA ...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 07:32:27 AM »
because every coach is capable of bringing in really good recruits only to see them not develop like everyone expected.  it's always the coach's fault...that said, i think jay is one of the best.  makes one realize how happy we should be with buzz.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 07:43:47 AM »
NOVA is young.  They start two freshmen, two juniors and a sophomore.  They have only one senior on the roster who does not see the floor.  NOVA also had significant losses in Fisher, Stokes and Pena from last year. 

Yarou has been a bust, Cheek has shown improvement, Pinkston sat out all last year and is a freshman and Bell is starting to play well.  Only real stud at this time is Wayns and he alone can't carry the team.

NOV has had success over the years and even though this year is disappointing, next year they should be better.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 08:23:18 AM »
Perhaps sometimes the recruiting ratings and McDonald's AA selection process gets it wrong, or is a bit off??

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:39:35 AM »
Yep.. there's always a chance next year could be the year that players don't develop how we/coaching staff envision them to and the team falls on it face. Last year was awfully close to being that year. As good as Jimmy was last year, he wasn't really a go to guy, more of a super duper glue/intangibles guy. This is really DJO's 2nd year at being the man for the most part, which seems to be playing a role in his consistency compared to years past. It's assumed someone will step in and just be that next guy (Mayo), but what if he can't take that next step up? Moving up from the 3rd/4th option on the court to the #1 option has damaged as many reputations as it has enhanced. 2 of the remaining guys on the team will have to take gigantic steps forward if they are going to replace Jae and DJO.  Jamil is a long way off from Jae and Mayo is a long way off from DJO.
IMO Buzz, like Jay, has proved his worth and should have the leash of a couple NIT seasons down the line.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »
Had Buzz not brought in the jucos from the beginning, his teams woulda sucked ass too. The departed sure as hell left the cupboard bare.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 08:59:31 AM »
Nova is young.  Outside of Wayns, their scorers are inexperienced.  They hustle and they're improving however.  Very much like Pitt.

Honestly, that could be us next year.  

EDIT:  dw3dw3dw3 beat me to it!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 09:05:54 AM »
Yarou might be a 'bust' but I'd still take him. Nova's problems are far more than just Yarou not playing up to snuff.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 10:01:59 AM »
Actually the have 4

...Pinkston,  Wayn, Creek, and Bell

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 10:05:52 AM »
Yarou has been a bust, Cheek has shown improvement, Pinkston sat out all last year and is a freshman and Bell is starting to play well.  Only real stud at this time is Wayns and he alone can't carry the team.

I don't think Yarou is a bust, just inconsistent. That's been his M.O. as long as he's been at 'Nova. The problem is that you can't count on him game in and game out. Sometimes he's a star, others, well...eesht.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 10:50:50 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting a big man bust who produces 11 points and 8 rebounds a game.  Wow.  Not to mention, how often does Nova actually look to get him the ball in the post?  He plays on a guard-oriented team that runs their offense through their guards and is getting 11 and 8.  Not a bust in my mind.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 10:51:42 AM »

If 'nova is so bad, as you describe, why did we beat them by only four points both times?

This was always billed as a rebuilding year for them.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »
Nova is young.  Outside of Wayns, their scorers are inexperienced.  They hustle and they're improving however.  Very much like Pitt.
Honestly, that could be us next year.  

We thought that after the three amigos left.  It did not happen.

We thought that after Lazar and Acker left.  It did not happen.

We thought that last year after Jimmy and DB left.  It did not happen.

In the meantime we have seen Roy Williams go 16-16 with seven Mc Donald AAs.  Now we are watching Jay Wright go 10-12 with 4 McDoanlds AAs.

Let's give Buzz some love, we never seem to dip whereas the "big name" coaches stumble.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:58:01 AM by AnotherMU84 »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 10:57:28 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting a big man bust who produces 11 points and 8 rebounds a game.  Wow.  Not to mention, how often does Nova actually look to get him the ball in the post?  He plays on a guard-oriented team that runs their offense through their guards and is getting 11 and 8.  Not a bust in my mind.

Umm, we have him now ...

DG is averaging 12 pts and 7 reb since BE play started.

Problem solved!

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 10:59:26 AM »
We thought that after the three amigos left.  It did not happen.

We thought that after Lazar and Acker left.  It did not happen.

We thought that last year after Jimmy and DB left.  It did not happen.

In the meantime we have seen Roy Williams so 16-16 with seven Mc Donald AAs.  Now we are watching Jay Wright go 10-12 with 4 McDoanlds AAs.

Let's give Buzz some love, we never seem to dip whereas the "big name" coaches stumble.

If we thought that after Jimmy and DB left, why have most experts in the country picked us in the top 7 this year?  I had us 3rd.  The departure of Jimmy and DB hardly made anyone quake in their boots.  

Acker?   :o  How many whizbangers here said he wasn't even qualified to play in the Big East and now you are saying we were going to crumble with his departure?  The have it both ways crowd is doing well this morning.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »
If 'nova is so bad, as you describe, why did we beat them by only four points both times?

This was always billed as a rebuilding year for them.

10-12 is not a rebuilding season.  Losing to St. Louis, BU, Santa Clara and Temple are not losses you have when rebuilding.  This is a disaster for the talent he has.

MU had an off game and won on the road.  'Nova start well and choked up an 18 point lead at home.

The team that won is good.  The team that lost is not.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:04:44 AM by AnotherMU84 »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 11:03:35 AM »
If we thought that after Jimmy and DB left, why have most experts in the country picked us in the top 7 this year?  I had us 3rd.  The departure of Jimmy and DB hardly made anyone quake in their boots.  

Acker?   :o  How many whizbangers here said he wasn't even qualified to play in the Big East and now you are saying we were going to crumble with his departure?  The have it both ways crowd is doing well this morning.

My point is ... so far ... we never have a down year.  And, last time I checked, we don't have any McDonald AAs.  So our coach always wins with McDonald AAs and Roy and Jay lose with lots of them on the roster. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 11:03:52 AM »
Umm, we have him now ...

Problem solved!

That's my point.  We are all salivating over how good Gardner is and how we haven't had a big this good since Robert Jackson, yet a guy with the same numbers is a bust?  OK...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 11:09:53 AM »
Had Buzz not brought in the jucos from the beginning, his teams woulda sucked ass too. The departed sure as hell left the cupboard bare.

Ok? But he did something with them. If he had 3 MAA and didn't do something special Id be very upset because of what he has achieved with none, freshman or not.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 11:10:40 AM »
'Nova really struggles when Wayns has to sit because of foul trouble.  When he's on the floor they are a decent young team although not up to their historic standards.  I suspect they'll be a tough draw at the BEast tourney in March.

The team I expect to make a move is Pitt.  Healthy again, they could fight their way back to .500 or close to it in the BEast.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »
I think Wright has to take some of the responsibility for the coaching and lack of attention to detail.  After watching them play Louisville and MU last week, they do a lot of stupid things.  They had at least two fouls on illegal screens on top against MU.  They were clear illegal screens, and Mac was saying that Wayns simply was not allowing the screener time to set up.

They foul a lot.  They get out of position on defense.  I think a coach has to make clear to Yarou and Wayns that they are too valuable to pick up stupid fouls and sit long amounts of time on the bench.  Wayns sat a long time in the first half against MU and Louisville won their game because Wayns sat a long period of time in the second half with 4 fouls.

I don't know what has changed since the final four run, but both of the past two years they have not played up to expectations.  They have fallen apart at the end of the year.  Now, this year, I understand they are young, but they are far enough into the season that it seems they could be further along.

The past 2 yrs, I thought the majority of the blame fell on Stokes and Fisher because they seemed to be low efficiency players, and they were leaders of the team.  Maybe more does fall on Wright.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 11:22:26 AM »
The team I expect to make a move is Pitt.  Healthy again, they could fight their way back to .500 or close to it in the BEast.

'Nova is 3 - 7 in the BE (10-12 overall).  to get to .500 in the BE (which is 9 - 9), they have to go 6 - 2 the rest of the way.

Below is their remaining BE schedule.   I can easily see them losing 3 of the four road games and go 2 - 2 in the home games.

If so, they finish 6 - 12 in the BE and finish 13 - 17 overall and do not make the NIT.

Feb 5   @ PITT
Feb 7    vs PROV
Feb 15 @ USF
Feb 18 vs ND
Feb 20 vs #19 CONN
Feb 25 @ #10 GTWN
Mar 1    @ RUTG
Mar 3    vs CIN

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 11:31:46 AM »
a losing record overall is tough to do these days as a big name program. you schedule so many gimmees that any team (even the bottom of the BE, Pitt, Prov, DePaul) should be able to stay above .500 even in a bad year.

Conference records are another story, but being at 10-12 is really bad for a program like nova with the talent they have.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 11:48:36 AM »
We thought that after the three amigos left.  It did not happen.

We thought that after Lazar and Acker left.  It did not happen.

We thought that last year after Jimmy and DB left.  It did not happen.

Next year could very well be the first where Buzz doesn't return at least one double digit scorer from the year before.  We had Lazar the first year...DJO and Jimmy last year...DJO and Jae this year.

Now don't get me wrong.  I love Buzz and will get the most out of who will be back.  We also have a nice, experienced player in TJ Taylor coming in who can obviously score.

What I'm just saying is that it is silly for fans to get all over the likes of Wright and Dixon when we could very well be seeing the same thing in our future.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 12:07:35 PM »
McDonald's all-americans are used to being stars. When you have too many of them it can be a problem. We bitch about Blue and Cadougan, but you need role players who understand they are role players. We would be a very bad team if Blue and Cadougan suddenly decided they were the stars.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »

Next year could very well be the first where Buzz doesn't return at least one double digit scorer from the year before.  We had Lazar the first year...DJO and Jimmy last year...DJO and Jae this year.

Now don't get me wrong.  I love Buzz and will get the most out of who will be back.  We also have a nice, experienced player in TJ Taylor coming in who can obviously score.

What I'm just saying is that it is silly for fans to get all over the likes of Wright and Dixon when we could very well be seeing the same thing in our future.

Jamie Dixon I agree.  One bad year when your point guard is injured is not any reason to be all over him.

Jay Wright has got to have Villanova fans at least a little concerned.  Two years ago, Scottie Reynolds was a legit POY candidate his senior year, and they imploded at the end of the year, failing to make it to the sweet 16 as a 2 seed after surviving the first round in OT.  Last year, again, they barely get into the tournament and are bounced in the first round.  This is after going Sweet 16, Elite 8, Nine Seed, Sweet 16, Final Four in the previous five years and having top recruiting classes.  Now they are not going to make the tournament this year. 

Having Yarou and Wayns to build a team around is not a bad start.  Wayns scored double digits last year.  Yarou scored 8 per game and added a jumper over the summer.

After their final four appearance in 2008, I think a lot of people had Villanova pegged as a consistent top tier team based on what Wright had done.  For three straight years, it appears they are not heading in the right direction.  I can't imagine there are not dissatisfied rumblings in Philly.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 01:44:10 PM »
Jamie Dixon I agree.  One bad year when your point guard is injured is not any reason to be all over him.

Jay Wright has got to have Villanova fans at least a little concerned.  Two years ago, Scottie Reynolds was a legit POY candidate his senior year, and they imploded at the end of the year, failing to make it to the sweet 16 as a 2 seed after surviving the first round in OT.  Last year, again, they barely get into the tournament and are bounced in the first round.  This is after going Sweet 16, Elite 8, Nine Seed, Sweet 16, Final Four in the previous five years and having top recruiting classes.  Now they are not going to make the tournament this year. 

Having Yarou and Wayns to build a team around is not a bad start.  Wayns scored double digits last year.  Yarou scored 8 per game and added a jumper over the summer.

After their final four appearance in 2008, I think a lot of people had Villanova pegged as a consistent top tier team based on what Wright had done.  For three straight years, it appears they are not heading in the right direction.  I can't imagine there are not dissatisfied rumblings in Philly.

That's a given in life, like taxes and death.

It was weird to see Wright in warm-ups. Was that a mind-game with his players? Try to do something different to "reverse the curse"?

Nova's always going to have a talented Philly to pluck their future players from, but if they start going elsewhere, Jay's gotta be worried.

Maybe a move to the ACC to join Dixon and Boeheim?
SS Marquette

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »
My point is ... so far ... we never have a down year.  And, last time I checked, we don't have any McDonald AAs.  So our coach always wins with McDonald AAs and Roy and Jay lose with lots of them on the roster. 

Have you considered that McDonalds AA's are not a true gauge of talent, but largely a recognition based on politics, shoe companies and other factors?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2012, 02:00:17 PM »
Have you considered that McDonalds AA's are not a true gauge of talent, but largely a recognition based on politics, shoe companies and other factors?

Yes, I think their is a lot of truth in this statement.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »
Bell was not a burger boy.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 03:35:21 PM »

There are plenty of Nova fans calling for Wright's head. Young team or not.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 04:03:53 PM »

you're awesome at stating the obvious...have you ever thought that while the rating system is far from perfect, it's still the best thing we have to judge talent out of high school. 

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2012, 05:13:04 PM »
you're awesome at stating the obvious...have you ever thought that while the rating system is far from perfect, it's still the best thing we have to judge talent out of high school. 

In the 2000's, MU has had zero McDonald's All Americans and we have somehow had the second best decade in our program's history.

In the 1980's, MU had three McDonald's All Americans and it was one of our worst decades.

It's subjective how the kids are selected.  I'm happy that our recruit from Chicago made the list.  Nice pub for MU.  Our program will survive just fine without them.  In some cases, these teams loaded with McDonald's All Americans seem to be dysfunctional at times.  Not enough playing time to go around. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
In the 2000's, MU has had zero McDonald's All Americans and we have somehow had the second best decade in our program's history.

In the 1980's, MU had three McDonald's All Americans and it was one of our worst decades.

It's subjective how the kids are selected.  I'm happy that our recruit from Chicago made the list.  Nice pub for MU.  Our program will survive just fine without them.  In some cases, these teams loaded with McDonald's All Americans seem to be dysfunctional at times.  Not enough playing time to go around. 

back in the day when BMA used to post on this site he had plenty of strong evidence to show how messed up the recruiting ranking system was/is.  that's the obvious...so one would assume, by your own argument, that it's very important to have a coach and staff that can evaluate talent, not just go after McDonald AA.  I think Jay Wright has been a good evaluater of talent, and he now has a team where a few key recruits didn't develop the way he had planned.  if nova fans are calling for his head, they're nuts...when he goes, nova will slip.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »
There are plenty of Nova fans calling for Wright's head. Young team or not.

Yep.  Good friend of mine is a huge Nova fan and he says fans have been pretty pissed at Wright since last year's collapse and they are losing patience this year.  Regardless of whether you believe in the McDonald's AA process, Villanova has a lot of talent and is a huge disappointment this season.  Although, my buddy also points out that he was there during the Steve Lappas era and Wright has made a huge difference in bringing the program back from the dead.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2012, 10:20:30 PM »
I'm kinda hoping Blue is next year's equivalent of Cheek. If you look at the numbers, Cheek wasn't very good his first two years but he has become a pretty solid (albeit inconsistent) player as a junior.

Cheek is more of an outside shooter than Blue, who is a better defender, so I'm not really comparing their skill sets. I'm just saying that maybe the third year is when Blue will make a significant leap, as Cheek has.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Norm

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 10:27:27 PM »
I'm kinda hoping Blue is next year's equivalent of Cheek. If you look at the numbers, Cheek wasn't very good his first two years but he has become a pretty solid (albeit inconsistent) player as a junior.

Cheek is more of an outside shooter than Blue, who is a better defender, so I'm not really comparing their skill sets. I'm just saying that maybe the third year is when Blue will make a significant leap, as Cheek has.

No way Cadougan ever scores on offense like Cheeks does. He'll have a good assist-to-turnover ratio, but any game we get him scoring more than 6 points is a bonus.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 12:05:23 AM »
Umm, we have him now ...

Problem solved!

If Yarou were at MU he would definitely be starting ahead of Gardener for defensive reasons.  I love Davante, but if he doesn't decide to lose more weight so he can be more mobile on defense, next year will be a lot tougher.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 07:36:15 AM »

All depends on your vantage point in life but I know two Nova insiders who think Cheek is one of the worst guards in the league and a key cog as to why this year's version isn't very good.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 08:14:48 AM »
I admit that I don't see Cheek enough to know that much about him. I was just looking at the progression of his scoring. I'd take that progression with Blue -- as long as Vander keeps playing D and rebounding.

And, of course, improves his free throw-to-slap five ratio.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 08:24:35 AM »
Yep.  Good friend of mine is a huge Nova fan and he says fans have been pretty pissed at Wright since last year's collapse and they are losing patience this year.  Regardless of whether you believe in the McDonald's AA process, Villanova has a lot of talent and is a huge disappointment this season.  Although, my buddy also points out that he was there during the Steve Lappas era and Wright has made a huge difference in bringing the program back from the dead.

This is a typical example about the unrealistic expectations of some sports fans.  Jay Wright is a very good basketball coach whose team has underperformed this year.  So you lose patience with him and...who are they going to get that is better?  And Wright's phone would be ringing off the hook if they got rid of him.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 08:27:41 AM »
This is a typical example about the unrealistic expectations of some sports fans.  Jay Wright is a very good basketball coach whose team has underperformed this year.  So you lose patience with him and...who are they going to get that is better?  And Wright's phone would be ringing off the hook if they got rid of him.

I agree with you but don't forget about nova's epic collapse down the stretch last year.  This marks two seasons wasted with all these "burger boys."  Fans should be upset.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 10:39:24 AM »

I think the Nova concern comes over many years.

A lot of the fanbase feels they didn't achieve what they should with the vaunted Ray, Foye, Sumpter, Fraser class. Granted, injuries hurt them but they were still a pretty dominant squad those years. Throw in Nardi, Lowry, Cunningham, etc. and Nova has had some very good players that came up short in March.

Wright never runs an offense. They set four screens during an entire game. They're disappointed with player development. And they feel he's missed on some top notch talent in PA/NJ.

I agree with you that it's easier to see what has been accomplished from the outside but for the fans who live in that world every day there are plenty of reasons to be frustrated.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »
I think the Nova concern comes over many years.

A lot of the fanbase feels they didn't achieve what they should with the vaunted Ray, Foye, Sumpter, Fraser class. Granted, injuries hurt them but they were still a pretty dominant squad those years. Throw in Nardi, Lowry, Cunningham, etc. and Nova has had some very good players that came up short in March.

They went to the Sweet Sixteen in 04-05 with Foye, Ray, etc. and lost by 1 point (with a bad call in there) to eventual National Champion (and NBA roster) UNC.  In 05-06 they were a 1 seed and made it to the Elite Eight before losing to eventual National Champion (and NBA roster) Florida (the last team to go back-to-back National Champions).  That's achieving pretty well.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 01:12:07 PM »
Take a look at the Duke coach's first several years. In today's environment, he would have been fired before he ever became Coach K.

Same thing with John Wooden.

This is why I never blame any coach for looking out for No. 1. Loyalty no longer is reciprocal.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2012, 01:14:43 PM »
They went to the Sweet Sixteen in 04-05 with Foye, Ray, etc. and lost by 1 point (with a bad call in there) to eventual National Champion (and NBA roster) UNC.  In 05-06 they were a 1 seed and made it to the Elite Eight before losing to eventual National Champion (and NBA roster) Florida (the last team to go back-to-back National Champions).  That's achieving pretty well.

I'd agree those are good things.

I'm relaying what my Nova insiders have told me. Considering the talent on those squads, not reaching a Final Four was considered a major letdown. Many have felt that Wright's coaching ability is lacking through the years and results, including numerous seasons of breaking down late, have added fuel to the fire.

Thus, there's a decent amount of that fanbase calling for Wright's head.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2012, 01:19:05 PM »
I'd agree those are good things.

I'm relaying what my Nova insiders have told me. Considering the talent on those squads, not reaching a Final Four was considered a major letdown. Many have felt that Wright's coaching ability is lacking through the years and results, including numerous seasons of breaking down late, have added fuel to the fire.

Thus, there's a decent amount of that fanbase calling for Wright's head.

But that's my point.  Unrealistic expectations.

Villanova has a marginally better history than Marquette.  One more final four.  One national championship.  If Buzz accomplishes what Wright has accomplished, I would be thrilled beyond belief.

Furthermore, who would they get that's any better?

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »
Take a look at the Duke coach's first several years. In today's environment, he would have been fired before he ever became Coach K.

This is why I never blame any coach for looking out for No. 1. Loyalty no longer is reciprocal.

Yep.  I think it may have been Digger Phelps who once explained that 30 years ago, if you landed a good job that you liked, you stuck with it as long as possible.  Now, if you achieve success and are able to move to a better program, you should take it while you can.  Success is fleeting, and you have to stay one step ahead of the doubters.  It's sad to think that's the way it is, but I generally agree with him.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »

I concur. Also, if you take a look at those teams, they had talent, but it was college talent. Only Kyle Lowery has turn into a solid NBA starter.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2012, 01:43:38 PM »
I concur. Also, if you take a look at those teams, they had talent, but it was college talent. Only Kyle Lowery has turn into a solid NBA starter.

Randy Foye has had a nice NBA career.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2012, 02:53:36 PM »
Two years ago, Scottie Reynolds was a legit POY candidate his senior year, and they imploded at the end of the year, failing to make it to the sweet 16 as a 2 seed after surviving the first round in OT.
They should not have won that game against Robert Morris U.  They were extremely lucky to limp away from that game with a W.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »
Randy Foye has had a nice NBA career.

Foye been ok. Certainly not worth the high lottery pick that was spent on him.

Real Chilly Podcast

• Starter
  • whassup marquette whassuuup?
    • Real Chilly Podcast
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2012, 05:24:17 PM »

example... I was at Clemson for grad school in Oliver Purnell's last season (by the way, loved their student section shirts. front said, "You down with O.P.P.?" back said, "Oliver Purnell's Posse")... 

at Clemson, the writing was on the wall.  Purnell was a good recruiter. Trevor Booker was a stud, and in his last class Purnell landed "burger boy" bust Milton Jennings, who did nothing (Blue-esque) in his frosh year, Purnell's last year there.

there were grumblings amongst the alumni that Purnell was recruiting but not developing and coaching, as Clemson was spinning their wheels in the ACC, and likely would have been replaced after one more mediocre season (aided by Jennings' lack of development)... so he "looked out for No. 1" and bolted for DePaul while his name was still relatively untarnished

...could we see the same happen with Wright? taking a job at a bigger school before a firing tarnishes his reputation?
Listen to the Real Chilly Podcast on SoundCloud, iTunes, or Youtube.

Follow our twitter: @RealChillyPod

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2012, 10:05:20 PM »
No I couldn't see it. Wright is a Philly guy who has turned down  opportunites already to take other jobs.

He isn't going anywhere and he isn't in danger of being fired anytime soon.

"...could we see the same happen with Wright? taking a job at a bigger school before a firing tarnishes his reputation?"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2012, 10:21:19 PM »
'Nova with three "burger boys" choked away the ND game.  Totally pathetic performance tonight.

Jay Wright is the BE version of Bruce Weber (Ill).  He has lost control of his team (like late last year) and they are vastly under-performing all their talent.

I know you're all going to tell me again how good a coach Wright is.  Fact is his team are not getting is done, not even close to getting it done.

Maybe Wright should move on as he seems to need a fresh start.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2012, 12:29:46 PM »
'Nova with three "burger boys" choked away the ND game.  Totally pathetic performance tonight.

Jay Wright is the BE version of Bruce Weber (Ill).  He has lost control of his team (like late last year) and they are vastly under-performing all their talent.

I know you're all going to tell me again how good a coach Wright is.  Fact is his team are not getting is done, not even close to getting it done.

Despite Villanova not playing with one of their better players last night, they took the 2nd place team in our league to overtime.  Bruce Weber's team lost by 30+ to the last place Nebraska team.  How then has Jay Wright lost his team like Bruce Weber has?  Wright has not lost his team, they are still playing for him which cannot be said of Chief Illiniwek U. 

If totally pathetic performance tonight means taking your undermanned squad out there and taking the 2nd place Big East team to OT then that is a curious use of the term.

Wright has a Final Four, an Elite 8 and a Sweet 16 in the previous five seasons.  If Buzz has two down years in the future, are you going to suggest he should move on for a fresh start? 

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2012, 01:16:32 PM »

Who can ever forget the days of Kevin Menard?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2012, 01:37:27 PM »

Illinois??

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2012, 03:41:52 PM »
I think Buzz would be happy with one White Castle AA.