[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz's Defense  (Read 3248 times)

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
Buzz's Defense
« on: November 28, 2008, 06:27:23 AM »
I have more questions than answers because I have not seen any of the games this year (except the exhibition).  I have gotten so far most of my information regarding this season off this board and a few articles. That being said, my question is this:  Is the defensive philosophy different than the last few years?  I remember our previous coach saying (and me observing) that by putting tremendous pressure on the ball you actually get fewer post touches from your opposition.  Since post defense has been (and will apparantly continue to be) a weakness, how does the on-the-ball pressure from our guards seem to be working out so far?  Another way to ask it: is our poor post defense this year so far a result of the team using less on-the-ball pressure and help defense thus not compensating a glaring weakness in our personnel with a strength?

Just wondering if anyone who has seen the games would care to comment. 

Murffieus

• All American
Re: Buzz's Defense
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 07:21:03 AM »
It's similar, but yet different.

Strictly man to man defense so far----unlike prior years, not mixed with zone.

Same philosophy to pressure the ball and stay tight to their guy on the perimeter off the ball, but not as much focus on getting into the passing lanes for deflections/steals.

Help defense not as good as our defense has been broken down quite a bit by cupcakes.

Our centers seem to be content to play behind their guy rather than fronting him and forcing him out further from the hoop to get the ball (ala Chris Grimm).

So far we get broken down one on one too easily-----and with an ineffective help defense it's no wonder we are giving up 80+ points to cupcakes!

augoman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 11:25:35 AM »
good analysis, Murf, pretty much the way I see it too.

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 11:57:12 AM »
By putting up near 75 shots per game you become prone to giving up more shots per game.  score one hundred and win by twenty, maybe they are playing defense.

That being said, I would like to see a little more of the energizer defense like they showed against Duke in the last couple of years.  I want McNeal to shut somebody down.  So that way we score 100, win by 20-25, and not let anyone go off for 35 points against us. 
Original member of the "Dean's List"

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 02:45:59 PM »
My question is are we capable of playing zone?  I see problems in the future when we play tough big men and if we get into foul trouble.  Are we going to be able to go to zone to protect our few players when we do get into foul trouble?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 03:58:03 PM »
While I don't disagree entirely with Murff's analysis, he fails to take pace into account, which largely accounts for the opponents high shot (and subsequently point) totals.
Fact is, this year's field goal percentage defense (41.8 percent) is a hair better than we they were after four games last year (41.9). Pace, on the other hand, is substantially higher. So far this year, MU ranks 5th (out of 344) in Pomeroy's pace/tempo rankings, generating 80.3 possessions per 40 minutes. Last year, Marquette ranked 110th, with 68.6 possessions. More possessions for MU = more possessions for the other team, and therefore more scoring opportunities for the other team. So while teams aren't shooting any better against MU's defense, they're getting more shots, which translates into more points.
Through four games last year, MU was allowing 55.5 field goal attempts and 15.5 free throw attempts per game. This year, it's 61 and 24.5. That latter number is troublesome, but the opponents scoring itself is as much (or more) a result of their additional possessions than anything else.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 04:50:13 PM by Pakuni »

muball

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 04:42:48 PM »
as Muff has said playing to much behind post players and our 5's are not adjusting. Buzz has come out in public and stated etthat he does not want them playing behind as that is when they foul and get beat. As the saying goes you can lead a horse to water but not make it drink.   Players have to adjust and part of the problem could be not having enough post players or players to practice against. Only 9 practice players.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 05:01:37 PM »
And no true 5' among the nine with Burke and Hazel getting to practice against each other which certainly is not desirable.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 05:25:20 PM »
Margin of victory is up this year - must be doing something right
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 05:34:25 PM »
We no longer "blitz" every high ball screen ;D  That used to drive me CRAZY with TC. 

nola03

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 06:43:46 PM »
Margin of victory is up this year - must be doing something right

If this is still the case on January 1, it will hold actual credibility.