Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 49 free throw attempts  (Read 15382 times)

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
Re: 49 free throw attempts
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2022, 10:42:29 PM »
I don't think it will be solely because of that, but that will be a reason.

People are assuming to get in Marquette will have to have AT LEAST 19 wins before the BET.  That would mean finishing 11-9 in the league, so 10 more wins. To get there, you have to win games like this against the middle of the pack.  They were up 8 with 5 minutes left. 

They are 0-4 in close games late.  They've looked better than expected, and that is awesome, but this still doesn't feel like a tournament team.

I get your point, but this one loss doesn’t move the needle. If we can’t win any close games, then that will be a big issue. But we still have plenty of time to grow and shore things up.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2022, 10:45:07 PM »

People are assuming to get in Marquette will have to have AT LEAST 19 wins before the BET.  That would mean finishing 11-9 in the league, so 10 more wins. To get there, you have to win games like this against the middle of the pack.  They were up 8 with 5 minutes left. 

They are 0-4 in close games late.  They've looked better than expected, and that is awesome, but this still doesn't feel like a tournament team.

It feels exactly like a tourney team.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2022, 10:46:56 PM »
Joplin and Kam were getting bumped everytime they drove.

Providence was whistled for 1 foul in the final 10 minutes of regulation. They also started both overtimes shooting 2 free throws within the 1st 10 seconds of each period.

I still don't think Marquette is a tournament team but that was a poorly officiated game that turns into a painful loss.

Seton Hall
Villanova
St. Johns

Those are all coinflip games coming up, just as tonight was.

You do t think Marquette is a tournament team?  What are you watching?

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2022, 10:51:48 PM »

Settle down. The entire conference outside of UConn, DePaul, and Gtown is the middle of the pack.

MUs numbers stack up favorably thanks to a solid OOC, and yes partly because of close losses against good teams that may regress some going forward.

Unless Brew really wants to argue me on this one I will say that 10 conference wins would make Marquette a lock.

Are they a lock? No. They still need to get the wins. Where you’re mostly mistaken is the part where you say that they have to win games like this against the middle of the pack.
A road game at Providence isn’t a necessary win against the middle of the pack.
A road game at Nova isn’t a necessary win against the middle of the pack.
Homes games are necessary wins against the middle of the pack.

They need 9 more wins to dance imo.
If they win 7 of the remaining 9 home games they need to steal 2 road games to get to 10-10.
They have DePaul and Gtown on the road, SH and Butler and StJ on the road. Those are all arguably easier road games than tonight’s road game.

If they start to lose winnable games at home, say a week from tonight versus (a very hungry) SH squad then I’ll get alarmed.
And even then it wouldn’t be doomsday because there are winnable roadies

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2022, 10:55:50 PM »
You do t think Marquette is a tournament team?  What are you watching?

I don't.

They can beat Tournament Teams and wouldn't look out of place in the tournament, but I just don't see this team winning enough games in the Big East.

As I've said (and plenty have disagreed with, so maybe that's where we differentiate) there are less "guarantee games" in the Big East this year.  The league is just a bunch of mediocre teams that are all capable of winning.  Losing to Seton Hall would be really bad on Tuesday, but it is quite possible they lose that game.  Those are the type of games we will be playing in every night the rest of the way and this team hasn't shown once this season that it can win a close game.  0-4 now in those games.

Again, I don't think they are bad or would look out of place in the tournament, but they aren't finishing close games and that matters.

A 7 game winning streak saved this team last year.  A 7 game winning streak isn't happening with this team.
VIOLENCE!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2022, 10:56:26 PM »
Marquette is basically 1-3 in Big East play since they aren't beating UCONN (can't guard Hopkins, you definitely can't guard Sanogo/Clingan).

Seton Hall is bad, but they are good enough to beat Marquette and make it hurt. Gotta avoid a loss on Tuesday.  Might make the trip to Milwaukee for that one.

Lol. Wtf are you even talking about? Torvik has a 41% chance for MU to beat UCONN at home. Torvik has our opponent with less than a 41% chance of beating MU in 12 of our remaining games. So MU is 13-3 in the Big East as of this moment.

Haha.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2022, 11:03:03 PM »
Lol. Wtf are you even talking about? Torvik has a 41% chance for MU to beat UCONN at home. Torvik has our opponent with less than a 41% chance of beating MU in 12 of our remaining games. So MU is 13-3 in the Big East as of this moment.

Haha.

I'm just saying they aren't beating UCONN, so they'll have to find 10 wins in the other 16.

Gotta go 10-6 in the non UCONN games to reach 19 wins and 11-9 in conference.
VIOLENCE!

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2022, 11:07:23 PM »
Ok geagle, we have you on record as a definite no on making the NCAA tournament.  I’ll go on record saying we are a tournament team.   

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2022, 11:25:47 PM »
I don't.

They can beat Tournament Teams and wouldn't look out of place in the tournament, but I just don't see this team winning enough games in the Big East.

As I've said (and plenty have disagreed with, so maybe that's where we differentiate) there are less "guarantee games" in the Big East this year.  The league is just a bunch of mediocre teams that are all capable of winning.  Losing to Seton Hall would be really bad on Tuesday, but it is quite possible they lose that game.  Those are the type of games we will be playing in every night the rest of the way and this team hasn't shown once this season that it can win a close game.  0-4 now in those games.

Again, I don't think they are bad or would look out of place in the tournament, but they aren't finishing close games and that matters.

A 7 game winning streak saved this team last year.  A 7 game winning streak isn't happening with this team.

🤡

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2022, 11:42:30 PM »
Ok geagle, we have you on record as a definite no on making the NCAA tournament.  I’ll go on record saying we are a tournament team.   

Sounds good!  And I hope you are correct.

I just don't want people turning on Shaka if and when we miss this year.  To me, his process seems to be working in that players are getting better individually.

I'd hate for everyone to get an unrealistic view of this current team and then turn on the guy when things go different than they hoped.
VIOLENCE!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2022, 12:00:03 AM »

I just don't want people turning on Shaka if and when we miss this year.  To me, his process seems to be working in that players are getting better individually.

I'd hate for everyone to get an unrealistic view of this current team and then turn on the guy when things go different than they hoped.

Have you considered the possibility you’re the one with the unrealistic view?

hawk

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2022, 12:18:09 AM »
Marquette lead by 6 with 7 minutes left and scored 3 points more in regulation.  They are young and don't know jow to finish on the road.  They don't have a guy to feed in the post when the offense gets stagnant.  They wet themselves tonight that's all.  to their credit they tried to pull it together but came up short.  They are 1 and 1.  If they finish 10 and 10 which is possible they dance and it is a good season.  relax boys there are a lot of games to be played.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2022, 12:49:53 AM »
"They wet themselves tonight that's all."

Um, they wet themselves in 4 games out of that 5 matter this season so far.  Coaching? Recruits? getting to .500 in the BEast as a bubble team?

Sounds a lot like many of the Wojo seasons...

Problem with this team - there are many players on this team who can score, there are no players on this team that can score when they need to score...

Marquette lead by 6 with 7 minutes left and scored 3 points more in regulation.  They are young and don't know jow to finish on the road.  They don't have a guy to feed in the post when the offense gets stagnant.  They wet themselves tonight that's all.  to their credit they tried to pull it together but came up short.  They are 1 and 1.  If they finish 10 and 10 which is possible they dance and it is a good season.  relax boys there are a lot of games to be played.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 01:06:53 AM by PointWarrior »

1SE

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2022, 01:04:45 AM »

The COLE is strong in this one.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2022, 07:23:07 AM »
"They wet themselves tonight that's all."

Um, they wet themselves in 4 games out of that 5 matter this season so far.  Coaching? Recruits? getting to .500 in the BEast as a bubble team?

Sounds a lot like many of the Wojo seasons...

Problem with this team - there are many players on this team who can score, there are no players on this team that can score when they need to score...

::)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2022, 08:01:29 AM »
Even though he's not an MU grad, GE03 is obviously a big fan, and he has opinions as the rest of us do. None of us should have any problem with that.

His m-o this season has been to downplay the team's ability and chance at success. He even picked effen Georgia Tech to beat us but then claimed afterward that his pick wasn't saying we were worse than GT. (Um, OK.) When he's right, he has an "I told you so" vibe and when he's wrong he has a "shrug, glad I was wrong" vibe. He's already re-posted his preseason predictions at least once to show the rest of us dopes how smart he is. (Curiously, didn't re-post after the wrong ones.)

It's a no-lose way to be an interwebs fan-site poster. If MU doesn't make the tournament, he'll be telling us, "See?!?! I was the only realistic one." And if we do, "So glad I was wrong!"

Hey, at least he's been consistent.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2022, 08:10:23 AM »
But Hopkins has muscles and Oso no muscles so, via Big East rules, fouling is allowed on that particular drive.  Sorry it's been like this forever!

These are the comments you make that leads me to believe that you just don't understand this.  Read what Ellenson Guerrero is writing.  About how Providence bumped Marquette players on the drive versus Marquette players reaching and losing their ground on the defensive end. (Which is why rebounding was so terrible.)

It's obvious that Cooley was tired of Marquette just marching down the lane, so he got physical.  Not by reaching and grabbing, but by having their players get in front of them.  And since Marquette has joined this conference, the referees have allowed defensive players to do this.  This is why Buzz had his Jaes, Jimmys and DJOs.

It's not rocket science to see why the FT disparity was how it was. Wojo's teams struggled with this too. Cooley is going to make it rough - you can either bitch and moan about the refs, or deal with it and muscle up.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2022, 08:37:01 AM »
Kolek had two strange turnovers at around the 2 minute mark of regulation.  On one, the ball jumped out of his hands.  On the next one, the ball seemed to go right through him (from Kam).

Was he fowled on either?  They never zoomed in on either of those.  I replayed and had a hard time seeing what exactly happened.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2022, 09:00:09 AM »
When you get 62 points in the paint, you shouldn't be out shot 49-19 at the line. That was a joke. We lived inside and didn't get rewarded for that. Biggest FT disparity in more than 12 years. Biggest foul disparity as well. Top-10 FTR for Providence under Cooley. That game was a massive statistical outlier because there was a disparity in how PC was handled and how we were handled. The numbers back that up.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2022, 09:02:18 AM »
…let Oso eat down low. Set a play for a cutting Omax.

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2022, 09:17:04 AM »
When you get 62 points in the paint, you shouldn't be out shot 49-19 at the line. That was a joke. We lived inside and didn't get rewarded for that. Biggest FT disparity in more than 12 years. Biggest foul disparity as well. Top-10 FTR for Providence under Cooley. That game was a massive statistical outlier because there was a disparity in how PC was handled and how we were handled. The numbers back that up.

What numbers are you referring to?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2022, 09:24:40 AM »

Shaka and Co. is 0 for 4 in "Win Any Way" games.

That motto has been nothing but lip service so far this year.
VIOLENCE!

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2022, 09:29:13 AM »
https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/1605570307955343360?s=20&t=C_E_1gu2lPQkTdhI4ohY2w

This is the NBA but...

https://www.reddit.com/r/nbadiscussion/comments/ubk9t0/free_throw_myths_points_in_the_paint_and_drives/

"Most notable is that points in the paint is a weak indicator of free throw attempts. Just looking at a box score and seeing who scores more in the paint doesn't really tell you which side should have more free throws. Also, driving has essentially no correlation with free throw attempts. Noting which team was driving more doesn't tell you much."

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2022, 09:31:55 AM »
It's obvious that Cooley was tired of Marquette just marching down the lane, so he got physical.  Not by reaching and grabbing, but by having their players get in front of them.
Ah yes! Now you’ve enlightened me!

Cooley, the 10,000 IQ coach, made the adjustment no one saw coming. He told his players to stop not playing defense and get between their man and the basket! So genius of Cooley to pull out the concept of defense in just the last 5 minutes of regulation. Wow.

Your posts remind of the Skip Bayless clip where he keeps saying the Mavs just “wanted it more” in 2011. You have extremely low technical basketball knowledge, sadly.