collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Chinese Students Snag spots that American students could fill.  (Read 2903 times)

muwarrior69

• All American

Goose

• All American
Re: Chinese Students Snag spots that American students could fill.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 09:52:41 PM »
Universities are fighting for Chinese kids. They pay full boat and often pay all four years in advance.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 10:20:10 PM »
Marquette in the past few years has averaged about 3-4% foreign students.

University of Illinois is using Chinese students to balance their budget.  They had 3,000 of them last year:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/01/07/u-illinois-growth-number-chinese-students-has-been-dramatic
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 10:32:54 PM »
Marquette in the past few years has averaged about 3-4% foreign students.

University of Illinois is using Chinese students to balance their budget.  They had 3,000 of them last year:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/01/07/u-illinois-growth-number-chinese-students-has-been-dramatic

Even the luxury car dealers in Champaign are raking it in.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 08:49:24 AM »
Yeah I don't see a lack of options for American kids wanting to go to college.  So while "American students could fill" isn't an inaccurate statement, it's one of no consequence. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 09:04:47 AM »
I'm more than fine with this IF we can retain some of those folks here after they graduate.

Bringing in Chinese wealth to the USA is a huge net positive for the entire country. If they just go back to China after they graduate the benefits are not as great.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 10:08:38 AM »
I'm more than fine with this IF we can retain some of those folks here after they graduate.

Bringing in Chinese wealth to the USA is a huge net positive for the entire country. If they just go back to China after they graduate the benefits are not as great.

I agree with you as long as they are taking jobs that are hard to fill here.  Otherwise, I worry that it might depress wages.

During my last job search, I received a job offer whose salary was so insulting, I literally said, "Are you f*cking kidding me?" out loud as I read it.  The company ended up hiring a guy from China with a  Masters Degree in Accounting from UIC.  A couple of months later, I started a job that paid 150% more than that offer, and had much better benefits.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:23:32 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 10:17:56 AM »
I agree with you as long as they are taking jobs that are hard to fill here.  Otherwise, I worry that it might depress wages.

During my last job search, I received a job offer whose salary was so insulting, I literally said, "Are you f*cking kidding me?" out loud as I read it.  The company ended up hiring a guy from China with a  Masters Degree in Accounting from UIC.  A couple of months later, I started a job that paid 150% of that offer, and had much better benefits.

I agree.

I think the biggest benefit are the uberwealthy Chinese. Not the ones who will just be looking for middle to upper-middle class white collar professional jobs like the guy who ended up taking the accounting job with the masters from UIC...but the ones who brings millions with them, looking to invest, create jobs, and build their own businesses. Those are the people we need to take from China, and keep over here.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 10:45:14 AM »
22% Asian at Jr. 4ever's alma mater, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 11:59:08 AM »
I agree.

I think the biggest benefit are the uberwealthy Chinese. Not the ones who will just be looking for middle to upper-middle class white collar professional jobs like the guy who ended up taking the accounting job with the masters from UIC...but the ones who brings millions with them, looking to invest, create jobs, and build their own businesses. Those are the people we need to take from China, and keep over here.

I worry about industrial and military espionage as the ChiComms use patriotism and coercion to get some to spy for them.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 12:01:23 PM »
   I worry about industrial and military espionage as the ChiComms use patriotism and coercion to get some to spy for them.

Those are legitimate concerns.

But I don't think we have a choice. They are the world's 2nd biggest economy, a major market for American goods, and there's tons of wealthy people wanting to escape the corruption and pollution in China. We should welcome them and their money onto our shores.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 01:17:45 PM »

We already enable them by selling product into their country. They have a "global" certification called CCC that to sell in the country you have to have it on your label. To get the certification you not only have to turn over samples of your product but bills of material, drawings and provide a tour of the manufacturing facility. Any time you change the manufacturing process you have to provide details and another tour.

If that isn't certified espionage, I don't know what is.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 01:22:23 PM »
We already enable them by selling product into their country. They have a "global" certification called CCC that to sell in the country you have to have it on your label. To get the certification you not only have to turn over samples of your product but bills of material, drawings and provide a tour of the manufacturing facility. Any time you change the manufacturing process you have to provide details and another tour.

My company has dodged CCC so far because we are not the final system headed to China, but I never thought of that? 
Now that you say it, strangely the BRIC countries seem to always have their own certifications that can never coincide with UL or CSA or ATEX or CE standards. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 01:27:57 PM »
My company has dodged CCC so far because we are not the final system headed to China, but I never thought of that? 
Now that you say it, strangely the BRIC countries seem to always have their own certifications that can never coincide with UL or CSA or ATEX or CE standards.

Yep, and that's why there is a China RoHS now as well.

We brought a product to the Chinese market once....took 9 months to get CCC and then 4 months after we launched one of the in-country manufacturers had a very similar product on the market (took us 3 years to develop our product). Could have been coincidence until we took their product apart and found a plastic component with a cutout of our part number for that component. They had directly copied our product drawing without realizing it was a component part number on the drawing!
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 01:55:19 PM »
The problem with expanding the amount of Chinese students is accepting lower quality students. Many of the Chinese students going to non-top 20 colleges are not better students than US kids being turned away. In addition, many are from very spoiled upbringing and often are more trouble than US students. I get taking the Chinese money and not opposed to it. That said, there is added risk in chasing the money.

FYIY--I actually have a fairly good handle on the topic and the process and definitely believe the numbers are going to grow higher. High schools are fighting as hard or harder for the Chinese money that universities at the moment.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »
The problem with expanding the amount of Chinese students is accepting lower quality students. Many of the Chinese students going to non-top 20 colleges are not better students than US kids being turned away. In addition, many are from very spoiled upbringing and often are more trouble than US students. I get taking the Chinese money and not opposed to it. That said, there is added risk in chasing the money.

FYIY--I actually have a fairly good handle on the topic and the process and definitely believe the numbers are going to grow higher. High schools are fighting as hard or harder for the Chinese money that universities at the moment.

That's actually not true. The article Chick posted said the complete opposite. U of I, at least, is becoming much more selective with Chinese students, even while admitting more than ever, due to the overwhelming demand they are getting.

The big problem a lot of universities are facing is that the millennial generation is quickly coming to an end of their college years. They are faced with shrinking high school graduating class sizes and a smaller pool of students. They will need to attract foreign students to stay alive.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:03:39 PM by Coleman »

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 03:07:47 PM »

Have a friend who had  the Chinese build an auto part for him. The manufacturer called him and said people told him the part did not work. He told them I know "i finish it here". He also told me if he wanted, he could buy his competitor's parts before their order is shipped to them. So much for integrity

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 04:14:44 PM »
Coleman

I say the article is partially inaccurate. More and more Chinese students are arriving to the USA strictly based off financial status. Gone are the days of the top 1% of students coming here for school. Today it is more top 1% money rankings and many, many are not USA university ready.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 04:50:27 PM »
Coleman

I say the article is partially inaccurate. More and more Chinese students are arriving to the USA strictly based off financial status. Gone are the days of the top 1% of students coming here for school. Today it is more top 1% money rankings and many, many are not USA university ready.

I'd be interested to see evidence of that.

My experience was always that the foreign-born kids, especially those from China, were way more prepared for American universities than American students, especially in math and science fields. It is no secret that American test scores lag almost every other industrialized country. These subjects are emphasized to the extreme in the Chinese education system and the college preparation process is much more rigorous there.

I'm not saying finances aren't a huge part of it too. But I'd be very surprised that any American university accepted unprepared Chinese students. There are so many highly qualified ones.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 05:04:02 PM »
There have been articles on how much cheating goes on in China so kids there can qualify for 'Merican Universities.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 08:04:45 PM »
I'd be interested to see evidence of that.

My experience was always that the foreign-born kids, especially those from China, were way more prepared for American universities than American students, especially in math and science fields. It is no secret that American test scores lag almost every other industrialized country. These subjects are emphasized to the extreme in the Chinese education system and the college preparation process is much more rigorous there.

I've heard many stories, plus personal experience, of those students not being even conversational in English. I don't know if it's translation software, or cheating, or just minimum language requirements, but imagine an American student trying to admit into a prestigious University elsewhere without some level of fluency.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 10:29:05 PM »
This seems like such a miniscule problem. I really doubt that they're taking spots away from American students and frankly, of they're qualified, who really cares?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 05:05:28 AM »

that would be fantastic, however, milwaukee will need to start their own chinatown real quick because, that's how our ethnic groups have done it since the ellis island days.  i'd welcome it further west, out here in waukesha, it's hard to find REALLY good, consistently good, chinese food.  not only do we love it, but it's gotta be good for ya?  what's their average lifespan? like 125? and even with that, they still look like they're 40? 
  sorry chick, we need more chinese for their brains and their food!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 08:49:54 AM »
that would be fantastic, however, milwaukee will need to start their own chinatown real quick because, that's how our ethnic groups have done it since the ellis island days.  i'd welcome it further west, out here in waukesha, it's hard to find REALLY good, consistently good, chinese food.  not only do we love it, but it's gotta be good for ya?  what's their average lifespan? like 125? and even with that, they still look like they're 40? 
  sorry chick, we need more chinese for their brains and their food!!

Jump down to Chicago. Our Chinatown is fantastic and rapidly growing.