[May 10, 2024, 10:24:14 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Vander Blue Man Group
[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Salmons? 5yr/$39 million?  (Read 4569 times)

🏀

• All American
Salmons? 5yr/$39 million?
« on: July 01, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »
Really Bucks?

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Salmons? 5yr/$39 million?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 02:49:51 PM »
If there's team options in there, I'm totally fine with it.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 02:50:59 PM »
If there's team options in there, I'm totally fine with it.

What about Drew Gooden 5 years/32 million?  Because that is happening to the Bucks as well.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/1/1546986/nba-free-agency-drew-gooden-contract-bucks-john-salmons

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 02:52:57 PM »
Looks like they're "goin' for it." What the hell else does Herb have to do with his money?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 02:54:25 PM »
Last 2 years are option years I believe.

It frees up Bogut so much to have a PF that can score. I'm fine with both moves.

Maggette is the one that puzzles me a bit.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 02:56:21 PM »
Last 2 years are option years I believe.

It frees up Bogut so much to have a PF that can score. I'm fine with both moves.

Maggette is the one that puzzles me a bit.

Since when could Drew Gooden score?  Ilyasova provides more offense than Drew Gooden, and they both provide bad defense.  

Maggette puzzles me only after signing Salmons.  The one seems superfluous after the other.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 03:00:57 PM »
Since when could Drew Gooden score?  Ilyasova provides more offense than Drew Gooden, and they both provide bad defense.  

He can score more than Mbah a Moute, that's for sure.

I love Ersan, but he's better served coming off the bench.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 03:03:45 PM »
Gooden's always with losing teams - to the point where it's not a coincidence.  And he doesn't play big.  I like the aggressiveness instead of pretending to be in the sweepstakes for any of the top 10 free agents given that none of them were coming to Milwaukee, but acquiring a slew of career losers from teams like the Clippers, Warriors, and Nets would make me nervous.  

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 03:07:05 PM »
He can score more than Mbah a Moute, that's for sure.

I love Ersan, but he's better served coming off the bench.

Flashback to 2005: Dan Gadzuric: 6 years/36 million.  Coming off 7 pts. 8 rebs. avg.  

Present day 2010:  Drew Gooden: 5 years/32 million.  Coming off 10 pts. 7 rebs. avg.  

Why get rid of one to immediately take on the other?  Drew Gooden seriously, really, seriously doesn't warrant half of that money.  

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 03:13:03 PM »
Gooden is a pretty good offensive rebounder... that's it.  Over paid for him.

As for Salmons, I really like him and I only think this was a poor move after having obtained Maggette, the two of them on the same team seems a bit too much overkill.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 03:14:18 PM »
Sources are saying Gooden's deal is really 3 years for $16 million with team options at $8 million for the last 2 years.

Salmons at 5 for $39 is also reasonable.  Sources saying the last year is an option year with a buyout.  Not sure exactly how it will breakdown but it could be more like a 4 year deal in the neighborhood of $30 million with a team option for $9 million in the 5th year or a $3 million buyout (just guessing on exact terms).

Considereding the average nba contract is around $5.5 million a year these are solid contracts.  Even Maggette's deal is not horrible considering what they traded to get him (2 useless players and $15 milllion in salary for Maggette and his $31 million in salary).  The Bucks prolly are never going to get a big free agent to sign in Milwaukee so this is what they have to do.  They will be under the luxury threshold this year barring any other moves and will still be around $20 million under the cap next summer after Redd's atrocious deal is finished.

Jennings
Salmons
Maggette
Gooden
Bogut

CDR, Delfino, Illyasova, Mbah a Moute, Redd's corpse, Larry Sanders + other draft picks

Not a championship contender but a very sold team that can compete for the 3rd seed in the East.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 03:19:02 PM »
Sources are saying Gooden's deal is really 3 years for $16 million with team options at $8 million for the last 2 years.

That would certainly make it a little easier to swallow.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 03:21:11 PM »
number of 2nd round picks that will make the team = zero.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 03:29:46 PM »

We'll see.  Those guys are cheap and the roster has to be filled out with someone.  Very easy to send those guys to the NBDL as well.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »
Not a championship contender but a very sold team that can compete for the 3rd seed in the East.
-1, I just don't see this squad competing for 3rd in the East.  If LBJ stays in CLE, Milwaukee will likely finish 3rd in their own division let alone the conference...

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 04:24:49 PM »
Yeah, most likely looking at 5/6th in conference again.  No matter how free agency shakes out, you have to believe the top three teams will be miami, chicago and orlando.  Boston and Atlanta will be basically the same teams, most likely.  We'll see i guess.  A lot is going to happen in the next week.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 04:42:25 PM »
-1, I just don't see this squad competing for 3rd in the East.  If LBJ stays in CLE, Milwaukee will likely finish 3rd in their own division let alone the conference...

I highly disagree.  The Bucks finished 2nd in the division and a game out of the 5th spot last year. I don't think they are going to get worse by adding Maggette and Gooden, in additon to having Salmons the whole year.  After the AS break the Bucks had one of the best records in the league, going 22-9

The Bulls may or may not be better than the Bucks depending on who/if they get anyone in free agency and the same is true for the Cavs & Heat.  I think the Celtics are going to decline due to age next year and the Hawks also haven't added any parts since last year and won't be able to now that they signed Johnson to a max deal. 

I believe right now, the only team that is head and shoulders above the Bucks, sans any free agent signings, is the Magic.  There will probably be a couple more teams that are better on paper than the Bucks after the summer is done, but there is no reason why the Bucks couldn't compete for the 3rd best record in the East next year (I'm talking stricly regular season record, not playoff seeds, as that gets messed up with the 3 divisions) after how they finished this year and the parts they've added/retained.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 04:52:20 PM »
Sorry to post twice in a row, but man, what's with the MJS' Bucks coverage?  It took them about 6 hours to put anything up about Gooden's supposed signing and they still haven't posted anything about Salmon's potential resigning. That's pretty bad, but I guess I shouldn't expect much more from that terrible department (aside from Rosiak's great Warriors coverage).

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 04:57:56 PM »
I highly disagree.  The Bucks finished 2nd in the division and a game out of the 5th spot last year. I don't think they are going to get worse by adding Maggette and Gooden, in additon to having Salmons the whole year.  After the AS break the Bucks had one of the best records in the league, going 22-9

The Bulls may or may not be better than the Bucks depending on who/if they get anyone in free agency and the same is true for the Cavs & Heat.  I think the Celtics are going to decline due to age next year and the Hawks also haven't added any parts since last year and won't be able to now that they signed Johnson to a max deal. 

I believe right now, the only team that is head and shoulders above the Bucks, sans any free agent signings, is the Magic.  There will probably be a couple more teams that are better on paper than the Bucks after the summer is done, but there is no reason why the Bucks couldn't compete for the 3rd best record in the East next year (I'm talking stricly regular season record, not playoff seeds, as that gets messed up with the 3 divisions) after how they finished this year and the parts they've added/retained.
I don't think Mags or Gooden really improve the Bucks that much personally.  Maybe gets you past the Hawks in the first round this past year, however the Bulls had tons of injuries throughout the year last year and will be better next year regardless of any big name FAs they may or may not land.  If the Cavs resign LeBron they are easily the best team in division again.  This puts Milwaukee 3rd in division.  Like you said, Magic are better as well.  Boston will likely fall off some, but not sure if they'd fall below the Bucks with Rondo, KG, Pierce (likely) and MAYBE Ray still there.  The Heat are likely to improve through their cap space this off season even if it's not Bosh or LeBron... a Boozer, Wade and one more nice piece would still be good.

Personally, I will say the Bucks can compete for the 4th at best, more likely 5th or lower best record in the Eastern conference, but who really knows until they lace up the shoes and play it out...

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 09:35:43 PM »
Gooden's always with losing teams - to the point where it's not a coincidence.  And he doesn't play big.  I like the aggressiveness instead of pretending to be in the sweepstakes for any of the top 10 free agents given that none of them were coming to Milwaukee, but acquiring a slew of career losers from teams like the Clippers, Warriors, and Nets would make me nervous.  
I don't think Gooden will ever be a starter in the NBA Finals.....
Oh wait....
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2007/series?series=clesas
Want to bet?
Bogut/Sanders
Gooden/Ersan/LRMAM
Maggette/Delfino
Salmons/CDR
Jennings/
They have 5 roster spots left, of course they will sign Tiny and Hobson. They are cheap and have potential.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2010, 10:45:23 PM »
From a Kings fan perspective: I love John Salmons. He was our best player for two years. I had his jersey, I campaigned that we would keep him, but in the end we had to include him in a trade to rid ourselves of the scourge that is Brad Miller.

I seriously think my hatred for Brad Miller balanced out my love for Salmons.

Anyway, Salmons is worth every penny of that contract. He's got possibly the best mid range game in the league, and he can get to the rim with the best of them.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 10:54:26 PM »
Did someone really just try to compare Danny G to Drew Gooden? C'mon.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 06:20:33 PM »
Salmons is worth it.  He's a guy that's gonna go out there and give it his all and light it up while keeping his mouth shut.  Give him an outspoken personality and he immediately becomes more of a noteworthy player.  He's a great player, no doubt.

Maybe the Gooden deal was a bit of a reach but he's a solid piece.  The Bucks need another big guy who can mix it up.  He has a good mid-range game, can play inside and rebound and plays solid D.  Maggette is really an underrated player in my mind.  

He's a gunner but he can score and is a good size to defend either the SF or SG.  Douglas-Roberts can also score well.  The Bucks had pretty weak wing players the past few years, but these guys should really help.  

Not to mention Jennings is only going to go up from here, Bogut will hopefully be healthy and improving even more.  Ersan and Moute are great pieces as well.  The Bucks have a really deep roster with a couple of upcoming stars + Salmons and Skiles.  

They will do some damage this year and hopefully get even farther in the playoffs.  Bogut is the X-factor if he stays healthy.  I think he's the 2nd best Center behind Howard, and honestly his D is almost as good and offensive game is vastly superior to Dwight.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:22:22 PM by Jamil_toMU10 »