collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Close to Home Reports  (Read 70023 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Close to Home Reports
« Reply #550 on: January 05, 2021, 07:19:20 PM »
Tom Blackburn, longtime Palm Beach Post editorial writer, dies at 86 after bout with COVID-19
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/news/local/2021/01/05/tom-blackburn-palm-beach-post-editorial-writer-dies-after-bout-covid-19/4132893001/

Tom was a Marquette alum. His daughter a nun.

From the article:

“He was an old-school guy with a new-school mind,” said Randy Schultz, who was editorial page editor at The Post for more than two decades.

And what a mind. Stephen Blackburn said his dad could discuss subjects as wide-ranging as aeronautic engineering and Civil War strategy. “He read about everything.” Because of that, he knew a lot about everything.

“It was like having Google in your pocket before Google existed," Stephen Blackburn said. "It’s impossible to replicate who he was as a human being. Not many people are interested in so many topics.”

“He was profoundly ethical and moral. He was always going to Mass, always thinking about feeding the poor – all those things that Christ wanted. He was not judgmental of ordinary people. He was judgmental of leaders who let down ordinary people.”

"Tom was such an honorable man. There aren’t enough people in the world like Tom Blackburn. He made us all better.”

In lieu of flowers, the family suggests a donation in his name either to Marquette University, P.O. Box 1881, Milwaukee, Wisc. 53201; or the St. Lawrence Seminary, 301 Church St., Mount Calvary, Wisc. 53057.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #551 on: January 07, 2021, 10:26:08 AM »
My aunt, (who is in her 50s and has Downs Syndrome) just tested positive along with three of her roommates in her group home on Long Island.  Exposed on the 28th, tested positive today, asymptomatic so far, but looks like we need a few more days before we are out of the woods. 

And surprise surprise, got it from a health care worker who attended a large family Xmas gathering the week before.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #552 on: January 07, 2021, 03:27:44 PM »
My aunt, (who is in her 50s and has Downs Syndrome) just tested positive along with three of her roommates in her group home on Long Island.  Exposed on the 28th, tested positive today, asymptomatic so far, but looks like we need a few more days before we are out of the woods. 

And surprise surprise, got it from a health care worker who attended a large family Xmas gathering the week before.

Hey, trying to figure out time between exposure and positive tests, etc....  Based on what you posted it was 11 days.  Were there any negative tests in between?  When was the test taken?  My wife works at a place where a co-worker was exposed evening of January 1st.  Had a test on the 5th and got the result as negative today.  She is going back to work tomorrow.  I don't think that is enough time, but her boss does.  Thoughts?

Thanks

Edited for grammar and spelling.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 03:29:33 PM by SERocks »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #553 on: January 07, 2021, 03:50:41 PM »
Hey, trying to figure out time between exposure and positive tests, etc....  Based on what you posted it was 11 days.  Were there any negative tests in between?  When was the test taken?  My wife works at a place where a co-worker was exposed evening of January 1st.  Had a test on the 5th and got the result as negative today.  She is going back to work tomorrow.  I don't think that is enough time, but her boss does.  Thoughts?

Thanks

Edited for grammar and spelling.

Our office rule is to go home until 5 days from exposure, then get tested.  Remain home until test results.  Positive and you're out for two weeks.  Negative and you're back at work when the results come through.  We are being very cautious and have had zero spread between employees and clients.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #554 on: January 07, 2021, 04:23:28 PM »
That doesn’t  seem to be enough time to me. Can’t it take longer than that for the virus to start showing up?

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #555 on: January 07, 2021, 04:28:14 PM »
CDC guidelines appear to still say that if there is a close contact exposure, even with a negative test, you should still quarantine for 14 days.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #556 on: January 07, 2021, 04:35:51 PM »
CDC guidelines appear to still say that if there is a close contact exposure, even with a negative test, you should still quarantine for 14 days.

The new guidelines say 14 days, but you can exit after 7-10 days if you remain asymptomatic with a negative test.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #557 on: January 07, 2021, 04:54:32 PM »
Neither of the above situations seem to fit that parameter, the tests were not after 7 days, which I have seen thrown around as a fairly reliable timeframe.  Results after seven days are not the same thing of course.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #558 on: January 07, 2021, 04:58:57 PM »
The reason you test 5 days after entering quarantine is because, if they are positive, you can get THEIR close contacts identified and placed into quarantine.  That doesn't mean that you are in the clear but it is tool to get control over spread.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #559 on: January 07, 2021, 06:17:29 PM »
Our office rule is to go home until 5 days from exposure, then get tested.  Remain home until test results.  Positive and you're out for two weeks.  Negative and you're back at work when the results come through.  We are being very cautious and have had zero spread between employees and clients.

That's a dangerous policy. I know a lot of people that tested negative 5 or 6 days after, only to develop symptoms and test positive 2-3 days later.

The new guidelines say 14 days, but you can exit after 7-10 days if you remain asymptomatic with a negative test.

The reason you test 5 days after entering quarantine is because, if they are positive, you can get THEIR close contacts identified and placed into quarantine.  That doesn't mean that you are in the clear but it is tool to get control over spread.

Both of these. Data shows that after 7 days, the PCR tests are accurate enough to the overwhelming majority of the time they will test positive by this point. By 10 days with still being asymptomatic and having a negative test, you are quite safe.

Testing 5 days after is still smart as Fluffy says, so that you can identify contacts quick and hopefully stop that chain of spread.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #560 on: January 07, 2021, 06:36:23 PM »
Ok that makes some sense, but Hards reported that if they test negative after five days they are going back to work, if I read that correctly.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #561 on: January 07, 2021, 06:55:57 PM »
That's a dangerous policy. I know a lot of people that tested negative 5 or 6 days after, only to develop symptoms and test positive 2-3 days later.

Both of these. Data shows that after 7 days, the PCR tests are accurate enough to the overwhelming majority of the time they will test positive by this point. By 10 days with still being asymptomatic and having a negative test, you are quite safe.

Testing 5 days after is still smart as Fluffy says, so that you can identify contacts quick and hopefully stop that chain of spread.

Call it dangerous if you want, but those are the guidelines set forth in the state of Wisconsin by the DHS.  Again, we've had zero spread related to work.  Is there a possibility that a person gets through?  Sure, but there will always be that chance.

MIT Medical cites a recent Anals of Internal Medicine study that looked into the probability of a false negative on a COVID test. On the first day after a probable exposure, the likelihood of a false negative was 100%. That percent decreased with each passing day. By day five, an infected person had only a 5% chance of a false negative. Usually, symptoms develop five to six days after exposure (if at all).

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/verify/verify-covid-coronavirus-testing-time-symptoms-spread-wfmy/83-89397de5-391f-4403-a235-d2621759b680

Overall, 181 cases from outside Hubei province occurring before February 24, 2020, were analyzed. The majority of cases were from outside of mainland China (n = 108). Most had history of travel to Wuhan or contact with travelers from the region. The authors estimated the median incubation period to be 5.1 days (95% confidence interval, 4.5-5.8 days); 97.5% of people who were infected exhibited symptoms by 11.5 days (95% confidence interval, 8.2-15.6 days). Similar results were obtained in analysis looking only at fever onset.

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/journal-scans/2020/05/11/15/18/the-incubation-period-of-coronavirus-disease

Having said all of this, we have sent employees home with pay for two weeks for having close contact at work with an unknowingly infected person.  Additionally, until very recently, tests didn't come back for two days or more.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #562 on: January 08, 2021, 08:50:04 AM »
My 2 boys are on their 3rd covid quarantine of the basketball season.  I am amazed at how other schools in WI have had 0 breaks to this point.  3 breaks for us in less than 2 months.

The worst part about it to me is how the coach has handled things.  This time the exposure came at a film session in which the players were seated 4 ft apart instead of 6ft apart.  Simple solution watch film on a zoom call to reduce exposure or you are watching film in the gym space the team out or watch film in smaller groups.  He has had 4 weeks of no coaching to figure this out.  Just heard while the team starts to quarantine today he is back in the classroom teaching.  Glad he kept himself safe and not my kids

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #563 on: January 09, 2021, 08:53:11 AM »
I wonder if the teacher from Burlington will bring more covid to the area

reinko

• All American
« Reply #564 on: January 11, 2021, 10:55:24 AM »

Just a quick update.  Unfortunately got admitted to the hospital last night, complaining of stomach pains...she was dehydrated from not eating or drinking much, but they scanned her lungs and she has pneumonia, but no other symptoms. 

Started her a on a 5 day treatment of Remdesivir, keeping her in the hospital through the week.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #565 on: January 11, 2021, 11:19:39 AM »
Hope that all will be well.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #566 on: January 13, 2021, 02:13:58 AM »
My Aunt is in the hospital with Covid and I am saying my prayers for her and everyone hospitalized with Covid. She is fantastic woman and very worried about her.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #567 on: January 13, 2021, 05:26:30 AM »
Will keep her in my prayers goose.  Very sorry to hear that. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #568 on: January 15, 2021, 02:49:59 PM »
My parish priest has tested positive and is symptomatic.  Early 60's, several underlying conditions.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #569 on: January 17, 2021, 09:26:45 AM »
Sadly, my Aunt passed away last night. A truly wonderful woman, big MU fan, 100% Serbian and legend in the MKE Serbian community and an awesome Aunt and will be missed by many people.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #570 on: January 17, 2021, 09:28:09 AM »
My sympathy, condolence, and prayers.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #571 on: January 17, 2021, 09:45:04 AM »
So Sorry Goose.  Hope your family can find peace in celebrating her life.  This thing stinks. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 09:50:12 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #572 on: January 17, 2021, 10:16:32 AM »
Sorry for your loss goose
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #573 on: January 17, 2021, 10:57:38 AM »
Condolences Goose.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #574 on: January 17, 2021, 11:32:04 AM »
Very sorry to hear this Goose. Your family will be in my prayers.