[Today at 12:43:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Non Conference Results  (Read 59474 times)

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
Re: Big East Non Conference Results
« Reply #250 on: December 19, 2015, 05:21:33 PM »
Glad Butler is taking it to Purdue but.......man are they harassing a very good big front line (not quite as big as the Ivory's but....grumble), they have the most active hands i've seen in a while, and we're going to have to play more than 7 against them.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #251 on: December 19, 2015, 05:38:25 PM »
Glad Butler is taking it to Purdue but.......man are they harassing a very good big front line (not quite as big as the Ivory's but....grumble), they have the most active hands i've seen in a while, and we're going to have to play more than 7 against them.
Butler looking very good. Hopefully, Chrabascz injury not bad. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #252 on: December 19, 2015, 05:59:57 PM »
Swanigan can hit 3's made two in row down stretch. Butler lead cut to 3.
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #253 on: December 19, 2015, 06:06:22 PM »
Butler wins 74-68
            ---Al McGuire

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #254 on: December 20, 2015, 10:43:55 AM »
When Myron Medcalf is singing praise for the BE you know the league is good......

Is the Big East the pound-for-pound king of college basketball?

Right now, yes. The conference might earn the crown that the Big Ten and Big 12 have traded in recent years. It’s a true gauntlet right now in the Big East. Saturday proved as much.

Xavier stayed perfect with a 24-point victory over Auburn. Butler scored 74 points against a Purdue team that’s ranked first in KenPom.com’s defensive efficiency ratings. Seton Hall defeated a Wichita State squad that was coming off a 17-point victory over Utah. Villanova lost to Virginia but never quit on the road against a national championship contender. Georgetown lost to UNC-Asheville on Saturday, and Incarnate Word defeated St. John’s on Friday, so it’s not all wonderful in the Big East. But with Marquette rising, Providence evolving into a more dangerous unit every week and the rest of conference prospering, this is clearly one of the strongest leagues in America.

Link to the full article http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/109807/chaotic-saturday-offers-march-madness-preview

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #255 on: December 20, 2015, 11:17:33 AM »
When Myron Medcalf is singing praise for the BE you know the league is good......

Is the Big East the pound-for-pound king of college basketball?

Right now, yes. The conference might earn the crown that the Big Ten and Big 12 have traded in recent years. It’s a true gauntlet right now in the Big East. Saturday proved as much.

Xavier stayed perfect with a 24-point victory over Auburn. Butler scored 74 points against a Purdue team that’s ranked first in KenPom.com’s defensive efficiency ratings. Seton Hall defeated a Wichita State squad that was coming off a 17-point victory over Utah. Villanova lost to Virginia but never quit on the road against a national championship contender. Georgetown lost to UNC-Asheville on Saturday, and Incarnate Word defeated St. John’s on Friday, so it’s not all wonderful in the Big East. But with Marquette rising, Providence evolving into a more dangerous unit every week and the rest of conference prospering, this is clearly one of the strongest leagues in America.

Link to the full article http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/109807/chaotic-saturday-offers-march-madness-preview

The Big East has a great format for success. The double round robin format has served to elevate the entire league. Our kids are battle tested and that is why we are seeing the success in the non conference schedule.  My sense is that this will continue to drive recruiting success.

Marquette is in a great place with this league and now that we are moving back toward our historical trend the respect for the league is going to continue to grow .  Give St. Johns a couple of years and they will be a big factor as well.
            ---Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #256 on: December 20, 2015, 11:37:24 AM »
I'm sorry, St. John's is baaaaaddddd.  Mullin brings nothing to the table.  These kids are under coached and undisciplined.  Want to watch bad basketball?  DePaul and St. John's these last 2-3 days. Coaching at this level matters.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 11:40:46 AM by jsglow »

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #257 on: December 20, 2015, 11:39:10 AM »
I'm sorry, St. John's is baaaaaddddd.  Mullin brings nothing to the table.  These are under coached and undisciplined.  Want to watch bad basketball?  DePaul and St. John's these last 2-3 days. Coaching at this level matters.

I have some level of hope.  Leitao isn't a bad X&O coach.  Not sure if his recruiting will be good anymore but he can coach.  Mullin I am hoping grows into it much like O'Neill did.  We shall see.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #258 on: December 20, 2015, 12:04:15 PM »
I'm sorry, St. John's is baaaaaddddd.  Mullin brings nothing to the table.  These kids are under coached and undisciplined.  Want to watch bad basketball?  DePaul and St. John's these last 2-3 days. Coaching at this level matters.

You didn't watch the DePaul v Northwestern game yesterday? DePaul looked like a good team with some fight in them. Their shots didn't fall in OT, but crap happens.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #259 on: December 20, 2015, 12:29:33 PM »
You didn't watch the DePaul v Northwestern game yesterday? DePaul looked like a good team with some fight in them. Their shots didn't fall in OT, but crap happens.

I did watch as was not particularly impressed.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #260 on: December 20, 2015, 01:17:06 PM »
Dagger.  If Wojo had lost to Incarnate Word and NJIT back to back to back many would be calling for his job.  NJIT had NEVER beaten BEast team.  Now they're like 1-21.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #261 on: December 20, 2015, 01:36:19 PM »
Before the game I saw the line at SJU at -1.5.  I thought that was an amazing line even given how poor St. John's is right now.  I guess as always Vegas knows.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #262 on: December 20, 2015, 03:11:57 PM »
Dagger.  If Wojo had lost to Incarnate Word and NJIT back to back to back many would be calling for his job.  NJIT had NEVER beaten BEast team.  Now they're like 1-21.
St. Johns losing to NJIT was a disappointment. I do seem to remember we had a hard time with NJIT last year and also I remember NJIT giving St. Johns a competitive game last year. So in some respects, while it is thoroughly embarrassing , it may not be as bad as it looks. Although it looks pretty bad lol.
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #263 on: December 20, 2015, 03:56:39 PM »

NJIT is the favorite to win their league and has a good chance to be a top 150 team this year. Not as bad a loss as it might seem. Incarnate word on the other hand...
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #264 on: December 20, 2015, 04:06:57 PM »
Georgetown (D.C.), St. Johns (NY) and DePaul (Chicago) all struggling absolutely doesn't help the Big East.  You need at least one of those schools competing for a top spot in the conference in a given year, and, this year, all three have performed poorly. 

The Big East has really been saved by the strength and consistency of Xavier, Butler and Creighton (as a whole) since their arrivals in 2013.  They really have carried the ship when a number of programs have struggled (Marquette included). 

Long-term, they need to be better.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #265 on: December 20, 2015, 07:41:50 PM »
Georgetown (D.C.), St. Johns (NY) and DePaul (Chicago) all struggling absolutely doesn't help the Big East.  You need at least one of those schools competing for a top spot in the conference in a given year, and, this year, all three have performed poorly. 

The Big East has really been saved by the strength and consistency of Xavier, Butler and Creighton (as a whole) since their arrivals in 2013.  They really have carried the ship when a number of programs have struggled (Marquette included). 

True, but don't forget... You need 5 years to judge a conference.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #266 on: December 20, 2015, 08:01:37 PM »
NJIT had NEVER beaten BEast team.  Now they're like 1-21.

Neither had Monmouth until they beat Georgetown.  Now they're 1-30.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #267 on: December 20, 2015, 08:07:43 PM »

Are you talking about the strength or popularity of the league? Big East looks really solid so far.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #268 on: December 20, 2015, 08:30:04 PM »

Yes it is true that Xavier Butler and Creighton have been good additions. League has been strong across the board. Villanova, Providence also doing well. Seton Hall is emerging with some better players.  Marquette is doing its part this year to make up for the last two years.  St. Johns had a NCAA team last year. Obviously they are weak this year. The only team that is truly letting us all down is Georgetown. They do need to be better but they have had some moments.

Overall the league is doing well presently and on an uptrend for the future. The recruiting is bearing that out.
            ---Al McGuire

mug644

• All American
« Reply #269 on: December 20, 2015, 08:48:14 PM »
Yes it is true that Xavier Butler and Creighton have been good additions. League has been strong across the board. Villanova, Providence also doing well. Seton Hall is emerging with some better players.  Marquette is doing its part this year to make up for the last two years.  St. Johns had a NCAA team last year. Obviously they are weak this year. The only team that is truly letting us all down is Georgetown. They do need to be better but they have had some moments.

Overall the league is doing well presently and on an uptrend for the future. The recruiting is bearing that out.

Sort of like when MU and others joined the BEast. Certainly, MU, Louisville and Cincy held their own over the years. Let's hope that the new batch of newbies keeps pace, and that MU becomes a regular at the top.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #270 on: December 21, 2015, 05:58:42 AM »
NJIT is the favorite to win their league and has a good chance to be a top 150 team this year. Not as bad a loss as it might seem. Incarnate word on the other hand...

...is still in the transition phase from D2 to D1, but Pomeroy has them as second in their league to Stephen F Austin and one of only two teams in the Southland favored to beat SFA this year?

Neither are what you'd call good losses, but if you're going to give credit to NJIT, UIW deserves the same treatment. They are 160 in Pomeroy and project as a top-130 RPI team this year.

And if that's not enough, that's also the school Ian Markolf transferred to after he "lost his love for basketball" at Wisconsin. Any school that helps expose Bo Ryan's hypocrisy is good in my book.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #271 on: December 21, 2015, 02:01:08 PM »
Big  East Xavier 6 Butler 9 Providence 10 Nova 17 in AP. Looking good.

---Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #272 on: December 21, 2015, 02:06:13 PM »

NJIT's record came very close to being 2-20, if I remember last year correctly.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #273 on: December 21, 2015, 02:15:15 PM »
NJIT's record came very close to being 2-20, if I remember last year correctly.

Only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #274 on: December 21, 2015, 08:19:19 PM »
I am at the Creighton North Texas game. Probably 15,000 in the seats. Great Venue.
            ---Al McGuire