[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz left because of the realignment  (Read 13737 times)

Buchec18

• Starter
Buzz left because of the realignment
« on: March 22, 2014, 12:44:39 AM »
He left because the Big East isn't what it used to be. The ACC is where the competition and good coaches are and that's where he wants to be. He was thinking about it for a while I'm sure and he used this season as good timing to get out. I know we're all a little irrational right now, but I have confidence we'll get a good coach for the future...or at least the next five years.

I'd be pleased if you checked out my piece I just wrote about the departure.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 12:47:00 AM by Buchec18 »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Buzz left because of the realignment
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 12:48:18 AM »
I think there is more to this story...

Death on call

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 12:52:38 AM »
Nice spin but the challenge was here as well. He gave up on this after a disappointing season for a program that can hardly be a supported as MU. The jury is still out on all the reasons.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 12:54:07 AM »
Nobody leaves "for more competition" when they can't beat their current competition unless they're forced out

Your "piece"/spam is garbage

Buchec18

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 12:58:05 AM »
Nobody leaves "for more competition" when they can't beat their current competition unless they're forced out

Your "piece"/spam is garbage

Thanks for the read.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 01:00:33 AM »
Thanks for the read.

Chris

I think we all appreciate anything written about our favorite team but you are leaving a lot of meat on the table on this. Please start scrubbing and you'll get a bang up piece you can really hang your hat on.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 01:05:36 AM »
If your hypothesis is correct, there is some questions to be asked.

1)  Buzz is a numbers guy, quotes the RPI and Ken Pom....according to both, the current Big East is better than the ACC top to bottom. 

2)  If he was bored, as you stated, one might think only going 9-9 in this less than ideal competitive league seems rather counter intuitive.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 01:07:03 AM »
He was bored?? Yeah I guess getting your a$$ kicked all year must be boring to some people  ::) I have read other articles you have written and thought they were good...but to say he was bored is just lazy and untrue

Shark

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 01:07:28 AM »
>believing ESPN's anti Big East propaganda

The conference had little to do with it man.

Buchec18

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 01:22:56 AM »
The ACC had six tournament bids, the Big East had four. The ACC is without a doubt better and more high profile than the realigned Big East (even with the FS1 deal). All I'm saying is that you don't think this weighed in his head? The ACC is loaded with coaching legends, where Buzz aspires to be one day. Yes, there were a couple good teams in the BE (Nova, Creighton)...but come on, it isn't good at all.

Maybe saying "bored" was the wrong word...I think he was more-so done with the challenge. He'd already won the Big East last year, a big accomplishment and goal #1 as a coach (win your conference). In my opinion, he saw that the BE wouldn't be close to where it once was for a few years yet (and maybe teams) and he felt this was the right time to move to the new and improved ACC.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 01:26:37 AM »
No. One thing speaks to coaches more than anything else and that's dollars.

Nobody takes a tremendous pay cut to go to a bottom-feeder unless they HAVE TO. Period.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 01:41:15 AM »
Not buying this.  This whole thing isn't adding up.  There's got to be way more to this story.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 01:46:39 AM »
Well according to this logic a hell of a lot of great football coaches are going to be begging for the chance to coach at Rutgers. They will really want to have a challenge and to coach in a great conference. Uh...... Don't hold your breath.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 01:52:54 AM »
The ACC had six tournament bids, the Big East had four. The ACC is without a doubt better and more high profile than the realigned Big East (even with the FS1 deal). All I'm saying is that you don't think this weighed in his head? The ACC is loaded with coaching legends, where Buzz aspires to be one day. Yes, there were a couple good teams in the BE (Nova, Creighton)...but come on, it isn't good at all.

Maybe saying "bored" was the wrong word...I think he was more-so done with the challenge. He'd already won the Big East last year, a big accomplishment and goal #1 as a coach (win your conference). In my opinion, he saw that the BE wouldn't be close to where it once was for a few years yet (and maybe teams) and he felt this was the right time to move to the new and improved ACC.

And the Civil War was fought over States' Rights...

Death on call

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 02:09:50 AM »
Here's my theory de l'heure

The team sucked this year.  Buzz didn't like hearing jeers from fans.  Buzz does not see anyone stepping and taking the leader role a la Vander, DJO/Jae, JFB, Lazar, etc.  He's confident that next year could be worse than this year.  Two years missing the NIT?  Buzz thinks to himself, surely Marquette will can me and who will take me then?  I better sell now, as my stock is only going to fall if I stay an additional year.

Other coaches/ADs/etc realize "hey maybe Buzz isn't that great after all."  Folks in the media are saying that Buzz was actually interested in the Auburn job.  AUBURN! That should lay to rest the whole Buzz-left-for-the-better-conference theory.  Think about it.  Do you think Shaka Smart leaves VCU to coach Clemson?  Would Mark Few leaves the Zags to coach at DePaul simply because it's a much better league?

Perhaps this season exposed Buzz for who he is--someone who relies heavily on senior leadership.  Buzz needs a fourth assistant coach, if you will.  Why do you think his calls went from Oklahoma, Oregon, and UCLA to USF, Auburn, and VTech?  Buzz was exposed and the coaching world knew it.  KO pointed it out when calling games.  His exposure is evidenced further given the fact that neither Wake nor BC gave Buzz a blink.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 05:11:20 AM »

6/15 is not as impressive as 4/10.

Realignment's effect on this was minimal
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 05:20:58 AM »
You try to make an educated guess and pass it off as fact.

Did you talk to Buzz? To anybody close to Buzz? To anybody at either Marquette or Virginia Tech? To anybody in college basketball at all?

Hell, the only "source" you quoted was your brother.

You might be right about all of this. Or you might be wrong about all of this.

If it somehow comes out that you were right, you will be sure to let us know. In the more likely event you are wrong ... crickets.

This is almost a textbook definition of speculation.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:19:45 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Buchec18

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 05:27:34 AM »
You try to make an educated guess and pass it off as fact.

Did you talk to Buzz? To anybody close to Buzz? To anybody at either Marquette or Virginia Tech? To anybody in college basketball at all?

Hell, the only "source" you quoted was your brother.

You might be right about all of this. Or you might be wrong about all of this.

I it somehow comes out that you were right, you will be sure to let us know. In the more likely event you are wrong ... crickets.

This is almost a textbook definition of speculation.

It's called an opinion.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 05:32:44 AM »
It's called an opinion.

As long as you market it as an opinion piece, then you are fine
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 05:36:26 AM »
It's called an opinion.

"It wasn’t about the money, so why? Why would Buzz leave a program where he’d developed such strong ties with the community? Why the hell would he go to Virginia Tech of all places? The answer may sound silly, but it’s simple…he was bored."

Oh ... I thought you were trying to say that you had the simple answer to these vexing questions. I don't know where I got that idea.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 05:54:26 AM »
"It wasn’t about the money, so why? Why would Buzz leave a program where he’d developed such strong ties with the community? Why the hell would he go to Virginia Tech of all places? The answer may sound silly, but it’s simple…he was bored."

You start with a flawed assumption, Buzz left.  Then you Torcher yourself to answer this flawed question.

You do not consider he was "encouraged" or "pushed" to leave.  Or, to say it softer, MU did not stop him.  Whatever word/phrase you use, the "other side" had a lot to do with it, maybe more than Buzz.

In the history of the NCAA,or any other work environment, who voluntarily leaves for a dead-end job (which many neutral observers call VT) and for less money?  Answer no one.

Your theory might work if he took Wake or BC, not VT.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 06:34:57 AM »
Not buying this.  This whole thing isn't adding up.  There's got to be way more to this story.
yes there is. And part of the more is that Buzz Willliams was the big BSer that many here would not recognize!!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 06:51:21 AM »
6/15 is not as impressive as 4/10.

Realignment's effect on this was minimal
Actually isn't it exactly the same ratio, 2 out of 5 teams get it?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
I think there is more to this story...
+1000.

Buchec18

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2014, 09:48:02 AM »
You can't sit here and tell me that the Big East is alright and has no problems. They were a crap conference this year. It was two good teams and eight mediocre ones all beating up on each othrr. The ACC this year was FAR better and there's no denying that.

Buzz had a meeting with his players and was off. It's interesting to note that a couple of those players fired off tweet bashing Buzz and how he left. I'm not denying or calling into question that something is fishy here (leaving for less and a bad program), but wouldn't Buzz tell his players the REAL story behind closed doors? These are the young men he mentored for 1-6 years of their career, I'd like to think he'd be real with them...especially if he indeed was forced out. Don't think his own players would bash his decision in that way if he was forced out.

As for this, it's meant to be an opinion, I hope that people realize. It's a blog that encourages me to use opinion. Anyways, thanks for reading and for the constructive criticism.  I know we're all still a little shocked, but don't go immediately assuming the guy was forced to leave just because the move makes no sense.

feedback