[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Todd Had Some Interesting Quotes in the JS  (Read 11036 times)

Texas Western

• All American
Todd Had Some Interesting Quotes in the JS
« on: January 12, 2014, 02:15:03 PM »
He spoke in detail about Jamil. Not the kind of stuff you usually want to see in a newspaper article. Wonder if there will be any fall out with Buzz.

DCWarriors04

• All American
Re: Todd Had Some Interesting Quotes in the JS
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 02:29:51 PM »
Kids allowed to answer questions...truth hurts sometimes.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:30:23 PM »
I don't see anything bad in what he said.  Basically he acknowledged that Jamil is the smartest and best player on the team.

But, he has focused less on leading with words (coaching other players) and instead lead with play.  They have coaches who can lead them through words...the coaches can't get out there and take over the game though.  They need Jamil to take over the game when he is in, because he has the ability to do so.  I'm sure Mayo would say the exact same thing to Jamil in person...so no problem with it.

He also rightfully complemented Jamil, in that he showed up on Saturday and didn't say a word, just did his job.  Not sure what should be controversial about his statements.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 03:02:22 PM »
Yeah, wasn't like he refused to slap five with a teammate or somethin'.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »
I agree with everything in the article except the point that toughness is a talent just like dribbling and shooting. To me it is an attribute that is completely different and has nothing to do with a skill set.

I heard Doc Rivers utter this too about the Bucks last year concerning toughness or playing hard being a talent...IDK..?

You are either tough mentally, internally, and physically TOUGH or you are not. It is that simple. It is a trait that is easy to identify and quantify in any player if you know what you are looking for.

Some of the most talented players skill wise are some of the softest and fragile players around. There is street toughness and basketball toughness, and competitive toughness, and bounce back from injury toughness, but it all varies...and it can not be taught.

It is a gift in some ways more then a talent, but some may have different view on it from another angle. But see not one thing wrong with what Mayo said although I do think some teams need a coach or leader on the floor and sometimes it necessitates being more vocal and verbal then others. Jamil is a senior.

But now is the time for him to take action and not talk and show his teammates and let the coaches coach. If anyone should be more talkative on the floor it is Derrick Wilson not Jamil Wilson...they miss Junior and Vander. One talked it out and the other worked it out...and got things done.      

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 03:07:06 PM »
I don't see anything bad in what he said.  Basically he acknowledged that Jamil is the smartest and best player on the team.

But, he has focused less on leading with words (coaching other players) and instead lead with play.  They have coaches who can lead them through words...the coaches can't get out there and take over the game though.  They need Jamil to take over the game when he is in, because he has the ability to do so.  I'm sure Mayo would say the exact same thing to Jamil in person...so no problem with it.

He also rightfully complemented Jamil, in that he showed up on Saturday and didn't say a word, just did his job.  Not sure what should be controversial about his statements.
[/quote
Nothing controversial, I just know coaches don't like players commenting on other players in that kind of detail. I thought it was an interesting insight into the team dynamics. Maybe a clue as to why the team hasn't been clicking on the floor.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 06:17:25 PM »
Todd wasn't off the reservation.   He complimented Jamil's ability and then said publicly what has probably been said many times privately, what has been said 100 different ways here.    That Jamil is a smart guy and a good teammate, and he needs to go out and play. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 06:55:04 PM »
Where is this article? Link?
Maigh Eo for Sam

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 08:36:36 PM »
Thought Todd's quotes were actually right on, and actually quite mature and insightful.  Buzz shouldn't have to talk about toughness at this point.  Jamil shouldn't need to be worried about trying to be a coach on the floor - just ball out Jamil, get a chip on your shoulder, and let's kick some ASS.  No more Mr. Nice Guy.  (On the basketball court.)
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 08:44:06 PM »
We've been so long for this to happen...Todd gets it.  Look out, world.  January 11, 2014 was Todd Mayo Day.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 09:02:20 PM »
Chappie, I hope you are right on. I think Todd is the one player on the squad, that if he gets it, can make a difference. If he becomes the force that we saw yesterday and can maintain continutiy, we've got a chance to be over .500 in league.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 10:09:50 PM »
Those quotes weren't controversial in the least. The fact that Mayo felt confident enough to say those things is a hopeful sign. That he seems willing and able to walk the talk is an even more hopeful sign.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 10:21:20 PM »

You are either tough mentally, internally, and physically TOUGH or you are not. It is that simple. It is a trait that is easy to identify and quantify in any player if you know what you are looking for.

Some of the most talented players skill wise are some of the softest and fragile players around. There is street toughness and basketball toughness, and competitive toughness, and bounce back from injury toughness, but it all varies...and it can not be taught.

Completely disagree with this part of your post. Toughness can absolutely be learned and developed.  It might not be easy, but it certainly can be done.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 07:58:53 AM »
I thought it was a) great to hear those comments from someone publicly. It's "strange" here because so many players today never say anything and just whip off cliché after cliché about teammates. The one time a guy speaks out it's 'shocking'.

b) I thought it was awesome that it came from Todd Mayo. Maybe he's transforming into something more before our eyes? For the team's sake, I hope so.

MURFC

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 09:00:56 AM »
Quote from: MUHoopsFan2 link=topic=41438.msg552880#msg552880 date=1389[b

Agree that it is far different from a skill such as shooting, passing, defense, etc.  However, mental and physical toughness are most definitely something that can be taught.

Hell, that is something I learned.  I was soft as could be until 11/12 when I started wrestling.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 09:04:06 AM »
For 3 years, we've all been playing the "This is Todd's turning point!" game.

It's been said at least 4 or 5 times.

It's never been true.

I hope this time it is.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 09:09:54 AM »
Agree that it is far different from a skill such as shooting, passing, defense, etc.  However, mental and physical toughness are most definitely something that can be taught.

Hell, that is something I learned.  I was soft as could be until 11/12 when I started wrestling.
Why, are they not all learned? You are not born a shooter. It comes from practice.

MURFC

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 09:12:35 AM »
Why, are they not all learned? You are not born a shooter. It comes from practice.

I don't disagree with that.  I read the original post to say that mental toughness is not something that can be learned and it is an inherent trait you either have or you do not.  I totally disgaree with that.  Some may have a natural talent for it, just like other intangible skills (e.g. leadership) or physical skills (e.g. shooting), but they are all skills that can be taught.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 09:30:27 AM »
For 3 years, we've all been playing the "This is Todd's turning point!" game.

It's been said at least 4 or 5 times.

It's never been true.

I hope this time it is.

From my perspective you can throw out all of last year, because Buzz had Todd on a short leash...one mistake, and he's was yanked.  Don't think Todd got more than 20 minutes in more than 2 games last year.  Hit some big shots at home against Syracuse that keyed that win last year.  But, Todd has never been given the long leash that Vander got - and perhaps rightfully so, given some of the off court challenges.  Yet, Vander had a few off court blemishes as well.  Todd's freshman season, certainly was better than what Vander's freshman year was - and as you and I saw in our bet last year...the disparity in points per minute played between the amazing Vander Blue last year and Todd was .04 point per 40 difference.

Pretty sure if Buzz will finally just roll Todd out there 33 minutes a game like Vander got last year, he'll post numbers as good and probably better than Van did last year.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 09:47:54 AM »
From my perspective you can throw out all of last year, because Buzz had Todd on a short leash...one mistake, and he's was yanked.  Don't think Todd got more than 20 minutes in more than 2 games last year.  Hit some big shots at home against Syracuse that keyed that win last year.  But, Todd has never been given the long leash that Vander got - and perhaps rightfully so, given some of the off court challenges.  Yet, Vander had a few off court blemishes as well.  Todd's freshman season, certainly was better than what Vander's freshman year was - and as you and I saw in our bet last year...the disparity in points per minute played between the amazing Vander Blue last year and Todd was .04 point per 40 difference.

Pretty sure if Buzz will finally just roll Todd out there 33 minutes a game like Vander got last year, he'll post numbers as good and probably better than Van did last year.

Todd will get 33min. per game when Todd earns 33min. per game. Same for Burton, Juan, Dawson, JJJ, etc. etc.

The players control their own destiny.

If X player outplays Y player in every practice, and in every game, X player will get the majority of minutes. It's ain't rocket science.

I highly doubt Buzz has been this successful by benching good players just for fun.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 10:00:02 AM »
Todd will get 33min. per game when Todd earns 33min. per game. Same for Burton, Juan, Dawson, JJJ, etc. etc.

The players control their own destiny.

If X player outplays Y player in every practice, and in every game, X player will get the majority of minutes. It's ain't rocket science.

I highly doubt Buzz has been this successful by benching good players just for fun.

This

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 10:07:55 AM »

Todd was given an extremely "long leash" his freshman year. Frankly, he was pretty awful during the second half of it but Buzz kept playing him in the hopes that Todd would recapture some of the scoring touch that made him such a pleasant surprise in the season's first half. Buzz's willingness to ride out Mayo's woes and keep giving him 15-20 minutes of PT game after game after game paid off when Mayo played well in the postseason.

Todd was on a short leash last year, and deservedly so.

Buzz is starting to give him much more playing time this season, and deservedly so.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 10:09:26 AM »

While Buzz is clearly not infallible, how do you justify, based on game performance alone, knowing so much more about how this team would perform than Buzz and assistants who see them practice every day?

100% agree. That doesn't mean that he won't make mistakes, get outcoached, etc. But he's making these decisions for a reason, not just to annoy Todd (or Ners). His job security comes partially from winning games. He's going to do everything within reason to accomplish that goal.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »
Todd was given an extremely "long leash" his freshman year. Frankly, he was pretty awful during the second half of it but Buzz kept playing him in the hopes that Todd would recapture some of the scoring touch that made him such a pleasant surprise in the season's first half. Buzz's willingness to ride out Mayo's woes and keep giving him 15-20 minutes of PT game after game after game paid off when Mayo played well in the postseason.

Todd was on a short leash last year, and deservedly so.

Buzz is starting to give him much more playing time this season, and deservedly so.

Todd's "leash" his freshman year was nowhere as long as what Vander got, during Vander's freshman year.  Vander was flat out AWFUL as a freshman, and would still get 15-20 minutes EVERY game.  Todd actually helped WIN games as a freshman, and showed up in the NCAA.  Vander did nothing to help the team win games as a freshman.  So, to Guns point - Todd earned the "leash" he got freshman year - my contention, has been that Todd's leash has always been quite short, and shorter than it should be.  Every color analyst that does our games can see the talent Todd has - and especially on this team - being so devoid of a complete perimeter player - Todd should see 33 minutes a game, if for no other reason than by default for lack of better options.