[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

With Jae being the first guy since Wade to be Player of the Year, I wondered - what does his need to do to get his number retired?

Do nothing further, it's going up regardless eventually
13 (8.2%)
Win Big East title and advance at least to Sweet 16
11 (6.9%)
Win Big East and make Final Four
44 (27.7%)
A combination of options 2 and 3
33 (20.8%)
While great, he doesn't wasn't as much of a once-in-a-generation talent like Wade
58 (36.5%)

Total Members Voted: 158

Voting closed: March 11, 2012, 03:44:48 PM

Author Topic: Chances of Jae Crowder's 32 hanging in the BC rafters?  (Read 7395 times)

drbchilds

• Starter
Re: Chances of Jae Crowder's 32 hanging in the BC rafters?
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 04:25:29 PM »
I started this thread on the other board because with a lot of luck, Jae could actually be pretty close....

I think to have a jersey (not a number) retired a player must have MINIMALLY been a first team all-american and/or lead his team to the final 4.

IF Jae is able to keep up this monster run and average like 25 and 10 with 4-5 steals per game and he leads us in winning the Big East tournament AND we get to the final 4, I think he definitely is in the conversation and if I had a vote, I would say YES!

Lot's of "what if's" in there, but it is fun to dream! ;D

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »
I'm coming up with 32.333% - repeating, of course - chance of it happening.

OK, I laughed when I read that...and I don't even know if you intended it to be a Leroy Jenkins reference (although I'm pretty sure you did).  If so, well played.  If not, click on the link (NSFW language).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:04:49 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 04:49:23 PM »
OK, I laughed when I read that...and I don't even know if you intended it to be a Leroy Jenkins reference (although I'm pretty sure you did).  If so, well played.  If not, click on the link (NSFW language).

Wow, thank you. That link just made my day.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 05:06:09 PM »
When honoring a player, why would a school not acknowledge accomplishments at the next level?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 07:00:39 PM »

StillAWarrior FTW.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 07:30:56 PM »
1) Slim
2) None

I've loved the guy since he got here, but it's not close.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 09:47:26 PM »
Maybe he will get into the video

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 10:05:56 PM »
I am thrilled Jae has been on the team, but he really only had one big year in an MU uni. He was the third-best player on the team in his other year. Doesn't seem like number-retired stuff.

Rivers is my all-time favorite MU player because he did well on the court, was a great guy and really represented the school well as kind of an ambassador. Plus, he hit my single favorite shot ever made by a Warrior. I also got to know him, so that certainly affects my opinion of him. Having said all that, he really did underachieve a little at Marquette. He came in as one of the highest-ranked recruits in school history yet never even averaged 15 points in any of his 3 seasons. I'm glad his number was retired because I like him so much, but he truly was a borderline case in my mind.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 10:08:46 PM »
I loved Doc, but he never had a year even close to what Jae did this year.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 02:34:41 AM »
Even if...

Jae makes a dominant Final Four run?

I say, if the memories are great and the sentiment sings sweetly, he could have his number up there.

An NCAA championship would be a LOCK: BE POY, NCAA title, and possibly an NCAA Tourney MVP.

Let a guy dream!!! :)
SS Marquette

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 06:24:46 AM »
If Jae LEADS us to the Final Four and has a borderline great career in the NBA there will be a lot of push to get him up there.    If DJO hits it big in the NBA and MU goes to the Final Four he'll probably go up there too, which I'd be fine with.

Either way chances of either going up are not likely.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 06:31:24 AM »
Too many numbers already retired. Jane had great season but is not even close to being an all time great worthy of number retired. In my opinion only Wade is worthy in the post Al era. He was the greatest talent of all the greats.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 08:19:21 AM »
Put him up there -- and put Wes Matthews and Lazar Hayward up there too. All have been extremely instrumental in the rebirth of Marquette basketball.

These guys are real Warriors! Period. Plus think of the irritation Bucky Badger will feel everytime he comes to the Bradley Center and sees that Matthews jersey.

Incidentally, I'm not sure Marquette "retires" numbers per se. Both Bo Ellis and Doc Rivers wore "31". There was a big scrap a few years ago when someone came here and wore George Thompson's number.

As best I can tell, the only numbers that appear to be forever retired are "11" for Apollo 11, "77" for obvious reasons and maybe George Thompson's number, which I think is 24. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 08:56:48 AM »
you can't put Wes up there until you put McNeal first. And I'd say Wes has no shot of getting up there, nor does he deserve that. And I love Wes Matthews. I'd also rather have Lazar up there before.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 08:59:17 AM »

Put him up there -- and put Wes Matthews and Lazar Hayward up there too. All have been extremely instrumental in the rebirth of Marquette basketball.

They played for Kevin O'Neill?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 09:02:53 AM »

These guys are real Warriors! Period. Plus think of the irritation Bucky Badger will feel everytime he comes to the Bradley Center and sees that Matthews jersey.

I'm not sold on retiring or hanging the jerseys of Wes and Lazar, because what gets teams remembered is deep tournament runs and conference titles, and Wes and Lazar never got past the second round or finished higher than fourth in the league. Not to mention that for three of their four years, Wes and Lazar were at best, the third-best player on the team. I'm not sure you could hang Hayward or Matthews but not hang McNeal and James as well.

Similarly, why Lazar and not Jimmy Butler? To use an analogy from another sport, "It's called the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good." This is the same reason why we don't see Diener or Wardle or Novak in the rafters. It's not good enough to be the best player on your current team because if that were the sole criteria, we'd be retiring jerseys every Senior night.

Incidentally, I'm not sure Marquette "retires" numbers per se. Both Bo Ellis and Doc Rivers wore "31". There was a big scrap a few years ago when someone came here and wore George Thompson's number.
Oddly enough, it was Lazar Hayward, who switched to 32 shortly afterwards.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:08:04 AM by Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup »
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2012, 09:04:48 AM »

Oh for goodness sakes no.  Not exactly sure how they participated in a "rebirth" of MU basketball when we have been to a Final Four in the last decade before either of them arrived.  And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't both Wes and Lazar each have only two NCAA tournament victories - the first rounders against Kentucky and Utah State?

Very good players...solid representatives of the University.  But amongst the all-time greats?  Nope.

Too many numbers already retired. Jane had great season but is not even close to being an all time great worthy of number retired. In my opinion only Wade is worthy in the post Al era. He was the greatest talent of all the greats.

This is pretty much where I stand too.  Honestly, Meminger, Lee and Wade were the only consensus all Americans.  Then I would add Bo Ellis and (possibly) George Thompson just because of the career impacts they had on the program...even after their careers ended.  And "77" for Al.  

But that's it.

Then I would have some sort of recognition banner for all All-Americans.  You can use this list then:

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/all-americans

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 09:21:41 AM »
This is pretty much where I stand too.  Honestly, Meminger, Lee and Wade were the only consensus all Americans.  Then I would add Bo Ellis and (possibly) George Thompson just because of the career impacts they had on the program...even after their careers ended.  And "77" for Al.  

But that's it.

Then I would have some sort of recognition banner for all All-Americans.  You can use this list then:

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/all-americans

I agree with this. 1st team consensus All-American would be a great standard for having your number retired (but I agree to include Brute Force and Bo). I'm curious, though, why Chones isn't included on that list? He was 1st team AP All-American.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/all_america.html

So, that would remove Doc, Tatum, Lucas, and Kojis. I know that would never happen and I don't think it should, but that seems reasonable.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 09:37:27 AM »

As best I can tell, the only numbers that appear to be forever retired are "11" for Apollo 11, "77" for obvious reasons and maybe George Thompson's number, which I think is 24. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

Marquette retired numbers until that idiot Crean f*cked with George and basically did irreparable damage to our basketball heritage. What a complete unadulterated dick sack.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 10:47:51 AM »
Two pages, and no one has figured out that this is a trick question???  I'm beginning to lose faith in my fellow MU alums.

The correct answer is:  Jae's jersey will never hang in the BC.  Jae's jersey will hang in The Buzz.

("The Buzz," of course, being the arena MU opens in 2016 following a 2012 NCAA Championship coupled with condemning of the BC following the Bucks' move to Las Vegas in 2014.)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 11:25:06 AM »
Yeah, but by that time Buzz will be coachin' in Austin, aina?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:37:14 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 11:35:50 AM »
Yeah, but by that Buzz will be coachin' in Austin, aina?

Nah... he'll be retired from coaching and in the booth with Dick Enberg by that time.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 12:13:03 PM »
Chones, Whitehead and Tony Smith are at the head of my line before we even consider Crowder.
GO WARRIORS!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2012, 12:37:51 PM »

Marquette retired numbers until that idiot Crean f*cked with George and basically did irreparable damage to our basketball heritage. What a complete unadulterated dick sack.
I can't wait until he starts that crap at IU.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2012, 12:59:08 PM »
I think it's odd how MU recycles it's numbers so quickly... like there aren't enough numbers on the numberline or something.  I think it just goes to show that they aren't interested in retiring these recent players' jerseys unless they have the potential for it.

Dominic James' #1 was immediately replaced by DJO
Maurice Acker's #2 replaced by Vander Blue (not that Acker was going to be retired anyway, but...)
Wes Matthews' #23 immediately replaced by Dwight Buyucks
Lazar's #32 immediately replaced by Jae
Chris Grimm's #33 immediately replaced by JFB  ::)

Other numbers get used frequently from year to year with this team, too (#10, #21)

Interesting to note:  No player has worn Travis Diener's #34 since he left.  No player has worn Steve Novak's #20 since he left.  It's almost like they're saving those numbers just in case they want to retire them someday soon.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:17:48 PM by murespect »

feedback