[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who would be on your short list (coaches)?  (Read 11771 times)

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
Who would be on your short list (coaches)?
« on: March 15, 2011, 08:00:20 AM »
Since breaking down Xavier is a little boring, who would be on your coaches short list? In order to make it a little more interesting let's say you can't pick a head coach from the major conferences or the A-10. I couldn't really come up with an option 1 or 2.

3. Benford - Recruiting, well spoken
4. Taylor (ODU) - Results, Recruiting
5. Brad Stevens (Butler) - Results
6. Jeter 

GGGG

• All American
Re: Who would be on your short list (coaches)?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:11:03 AM »
I'm not advocating for him, but Dwayne Stephens, asst. at MSU.  Used to be at MU under TC.  Considered one of the top recruiters in the country.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 08:12:32 AM »
Buzz Williams.

groove

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:49:30 AM »
Is there a coach in the Big South this year, who has one year of head coaching experience, with around a 14-17 record? They would be my first choice. That's what we went for with the last hire.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 08:57:32 AM »
Is there a coach in the Big South this year, who has one year of head coaching experience, with around a 14-17 record? They would be my first choice. That's what we went for with the last hire.

Worked out pretty well, didn't it?

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 09:04:29 AM »

I'd prefer we just hire the last assistant left in the building.  But only after waiting the maximum three days.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

groove

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 09:08:31 AM »
I'd prefer we just hire the last assistant left in the building.  But only after waiting the maximum three days.

Perfect. Or the one thing better than a panic 72-hour hire would be a panic extension of his contract.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 09:47:25 AM »
Perfect. Or the one thing better than a panic 72-hour hire would be a panic extension of his contract.

Nah .... let's conduct a long, dragged out search and hire one of the hot names out there. You know, the 2011 version of Keno Davis, Tony Bennett, Chris Lowery, Jim Les ... someone like that.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 09:50:32 AM »
Nah .... let's conduct a long, dragged out search and hire one of the hot names out there. You know, the 2011 version of Keno Davis, Tony Bennett, Chris Lowery, Jim Les ... someone like that.

Yeah, we'd probably be 30-3 if we did!!!

LON

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 09:52:57 AM »
What does the resident realist say?  Mark Few?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 09:56:48 AM »
What does the resident realist say?  Mark Few?

Few turned down Phil Knight's millions and brand new facilities at Oregon because he's been holding out for the Marquette job.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 09:58:44 AM »
If Buzz leaves, it's going to be tough to stomach the program rebuilding again - transfers from current team, current recruits asking out of LOI, another missed class on recruiting...

will set MU back another 2 - 3 years...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 10:12:47 AM »
BUZZ WILLIAMS. We cannot afford another change in the program. Cottingham & Co. have to do whatever it takes to make sure he remains at MU. If we have another coaching change we are taking a very big gamble.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 10:16:55 AM »
If Buzz leaves, it's going to be tough to stomach the program rebuilding again - transfers from current team, current recruits asking out of LOI, another missed class on recruiting...

I would be surprised if Buzz left for one of the current openings because of how openly religious he is.  Would other schools tolerate a heavily Christian basketball program, even down in the bible-belt?

Marquette is a great fit for Buzz all-around except for geographically, and he hasn't had a single problem bringing Texas to Milwaukee to make it feel a little more like home :)

TJ

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 10:24:13 AM »
I would be surprised if Buzz left for one of the current openings because of how openly religious he is.  Would other schools tolerate a heavily Christian basketball program, even down in the bible-belt?

Marquette is a great fit for Buzz all-around except for geographically, and he hasn't had a single problem bringing Texas to Milwaukee to make it feel a little more like home :)
I would be very surprised if religion is an issue whatsoever.  On either side of the bargaining table.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 10:28:06 AM »
Yeah, we'd probably be 30-3 if we did!!!

Oh, so you're looking for a coaching legend...

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 10:35:02 AM »
Robert Montgomery Knight

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 10:36:50 AM »
How is this more exciting than breaking down the X game???  Given how little I've seen of X this year, that seems to be a lot more topical and relevant to our present situation.

swimmer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 10:49:38 AM »
How is this more exciting than breaking down the X game???  Given how little I've seen of X this year, that seems to be a lot more topical and relevant to our present situation.

No shiz!!  We wait all year for the NCAA tourney, chew our nails about making it in, and then once we're there, we're bored and proceed to discuss off-season crap.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 11:23:58 AM »
BUZZ WILLIAMS. We cannot afford another change in the program. Cottingham & Co. have to do whatever it takes to make sure he remains at MU. If we have another coaching change we are taking a very big gamble.
Too early to throw even bigger $ at Buzz--se how next year goes. I do not know what he is making this year, but I have seen that others say that it is about 1 million zoidies per year, including perks. IMO that should be enough for right now.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 11:26:27 AM »

Just want to get to the game already... my head might explode unless I distract myself with irrelevant questions.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
Since breaking down Xavier is a little boring, who would be on your coaches short list? In order to make it a little more interesting let's say you can't pick a head coach from the major conferences or the A-10. I couldn't really come up with an option 1 or 2.

3. Benford - Recruiting, well spoken
4. Taylor (ODU) - Results, Recruiting
5. Brad Stevens (Butler) - Results
6. Jeter 

Just out of curiosity...when was the last time a white guy was referred to as "well spoken"?  :o ;D

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 11:41:24 AM »
When it comes to a basketball coach who is the face of the university, I think that would be a top 3 attribute you would be looking for (with recruiting and coaching)... black or white.

To answer your question... I googled it and found a reference for you.
http://latenightdebates.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/college-basketball-preview/
"Tony Bennett, a well spoken white dude who comes off extremely well in the living rooms of rich, pretentious parents of “high IQ” (read: white) basketball recruits, is literally stealing the playbook right from under Coach K’s scrunched ferret nose."

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »
If we lose buzz, the next few years would be hard to watch. My vote is for the higher ups to do whatever they need to do in order to keep buzz. We are trending in the right direction. No need to take five steps back. That would be brutal.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 12:23:19 PM »
Mark Few or Dwayne Stephens   Need shooters and players who play smart basketball.