Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Devante Gardner  (Read 26627 times)

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
Re: Devante Gardner
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 02:11:09 AM »
Who would pay their own way? That happens so rarely, as not to be worthy of discussion. Obviously, someone's leaving. Kids don't waste precious official visits on schools that don't have a scholarship available.

I agree that it is really unlikely but Jeronne Maymon is supposedly paying his own way at Tennessee for a semester.  It happened recently for a whole year at Washington or Washington State (can't remember which).  If someone's family is loaded, they may elect to pay tuition for their kid to help out the program (or their kid).  I read somewhere the rumor that Mbao's family has some coin.  Who really knows? 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 08:01:12 AM »
I agree that it is really unlikely but Jeronne Maymon is supposedly paying his own way at Tennessee for a semester.  It happened recently for a whole year at Washington or Washington State (can't remember which).  If someone's family is loaded, they may elect to pay tuition for their kid to help out the program (or their kid).  I read somewhere the rumor that Mbao's family has some coin.  Who really knows? 

Nobody is going to give up their scholarship to pay their own way.  If we have openings, it will be because of a transfer.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 02:41:29 PM »
Academic or need-based scholarship?

No teal. Just a thought.

You may have been kidding, but I'm pretty sure NCAA wouldn't allow this.  Kentucky would have 20 walk ons this year on full academic scholarships.

Harry Moseby

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 11:26:25 PM »
He's visiting South Florida this weekend and will choose them or Marquette.
http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/04/big-man-69-300pound-gardner-visiting-usf.html

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 11:50:17 PM »
FWIW- A friend talked to Mbao the other day and he said Mbao might not play next year because of knee problems. It was a quick convo and who knows if Mbao even understood what he was talking about, or it could just be plain bad info. Not sure how NCAA schollies and injuries work.

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 11:52:26 PM »
thanks for that link harry.  One of the comments said, "If Buzz Williams (Marquette) is offering him that should tell you something." (paraphrased)  Nice complement to Buzz.  People know he can find the diamonds in the rough.
Original member of the "Dean's List"

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »
how much does this guy actually weigh? ive seen articles where hes 240 and some that say hes 300?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2010, 02:21:50 PM »
how much does this guy actually weigh? ive seen articles where hes 240 and some that say hes 300?
Saw him at the BC when he visited.  Has a thick looking body trunk and legs, so he probably carries a lot of weight.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2010, 05:05:33 PM »
He looks like a big boy.  The article that was posted links to a youtube video of his team's last game.  According to the article, he's #54.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIAXPUlpVDE

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2010, 09:10:25 PM »
Big Baby II
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2010, 09:43:18 PM »
Watching that video I want to draw a comparison to Tractor Traylor but not as nimble on his feet. Whatever school he signs with, he's going to be a load on the blocks.

Did he have headaches for that game, or does he suffer migraines?
He really came through in the clutch on those FTs though!

He's going to have to shed some pounds and work on his cardio (what incoming frosh doesn't). If he does ever sign with MU, he's not going to see much time off the bench because of his conditioning - as MU likes to push the ball.

But what has me concerned are some observations of his game (though it's dated from 2009, ESPN):

January, 2009: Gardner is one of the biggest post players in the 2010 class. He has tremendous hands and does a good job catching the ball and scoring in the painted area. He lacks the lift, quickness and stamina at his current weight to be a major player. There are times when he does not cross half court. Offensively he scores the majority of his baskets on put backs and jump hooks. He is most effective because of his width and when he has 4 to 5 inches on his opponent. Because he has little elevation in his game he struggles with taller and more athletic players. Defensively Gardner relies on his size and positioning. He does a poor job in his lateral defense and poses no threat to block shots. His high school team hides him by playing zone. Overall Gardner has very good basketball skills but does not have the stamina or conditioning to play at the collegiate level. If he can improve his conditioning and body weight he could be a solid four-year player in a system that focuses on half court basketball. Size and potential alone are worth a low major gamble.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:46:28 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Vega

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2010, 09:35:02 AM »
Watching that video I want to draw a comparison to Tractor Traylor but not as nimble on his feet. Whatever school he signs with, he's going to be a load on the blocks.

Did he have headaches for that game, or does he suffer migraines?
He really came through in the clutch on those FTs though!

He's going to have to shed some pounds and work on his cardio (what incoming frosh doesn't). If he does ever sign with MU, he's not going to see much time off the bench because of his conditioning - as MU likes to push the ball.

But what has me concerned are some observations of his game (though it's dated from 2009, ESPN):

January, 2009: Gardner is one of the biggest post players in the 2010 class. He has tremendous hands and does a good job catching the ball and scoring in the painted area. He lacks the lift, quickness and stamina at his current weight to be a major player. There are times when he does not cross half court. Offensively he scores the majority of his baskets on put backs and jump hooks. He is most effective because of his width and when he has 4 to 5 inches on his opponent. Because he has little elevation in his game he struggles with taller and more athletic players. Defensively Gardner relies on his size and positioning. He does a poor job in his lateral defense and poses no threat to block shots. His high school team hides him by playing zone. Overall Gardner has very good basketball skills but does not have the stamina or conditioning to play at the collegiate level. If he can improve his conditioning and body weight he could be a solid four-year player in a system that focuses on half court basketball. Size and potential alone are worth a low major gamble.

As noted that video and story is about 15 months old. Gardner has lost weight and his endurance has improved. He has good hands, good footwork, and is Big East physical. The tools are there to be a very very good BE player for either MU or USF(He'll decide sometime in the next 2 days). A college strength and conditioning program is all he needs. Both Buzz and Heath know this.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:36:42 AM by Vega »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2010, 12:02:35 PM »
As noted that video and story is about 15 months old. Gardner has lost weight and his endurance has improved. He has good hands, good footwork, and is Big East physical. The tools are there to be a very very good BE player for either MU or USF(He'll decide sometime in the next 2 days). A college strength and conditioning program is all he needs. Both Buzz and Heath know this.

I agree.  I think he would be an excellent pick up and could get some early playing time.  He is the type of player with which you can go big with Otule, or he can be a bit of an undersized center if they want to go small.  MU doesn't have a player in that mold right now.  I hope he chooses MU because I'm not sure Stan Heath is around for four years.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2010, 12:09:50 PM »
He sounds like another one of these bigs that has great potential is probably at least a year away from making any real contribution.

VwArrior1

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2010, 12:30:12 PM »
Dexter Pittman showed it can be done.  He weighed 390 his senior year of highschool.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2010, 08:19:51 PM »
No thanks to Gardner.  I want no part of a big man with no lift that needs to be hidden defensively in HS.  If a scholarship does open up, in order of preference I would like to see.

Carson Desrosiers
Gorgui Sy Dieng
Luke Cothron
Maurice Walker
Michael Haynes
Reggie Murphy
All 13 we now have to somehow remain on scholarship
J'mison Morgan
Cleveland Melvin
Goodwin Okonji
and then maybe Devante Gardner.

But, I could be wrong.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2010, 09:24:38 PM »

I agree.  I think he would be an excellent pick up and could get some early playing time.  He is the type of player with which you can go big with Otule, or he can be a bit of an undersized center if they want to go small.  MU doesn't have a player in that mold right now.  I hope he chooses MU because I'm not sure Stan Heath is around for four years.

I don't know about this one, folks. Anyone remember the kid from the Pittsburg area that Majerus (you know, "big man" specialty was RM's strength) signed back in the 80"s?  Lloyd something or other was his name. He was overweight, great hands, no mobility, light on his feet....and relatively soon out the door.  Let's leave this one alone.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2010, 09:44:20 PM »
lloyd was a raymonds guy i belive and was maybe a mcdonalds AA

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2010, 09:45:26 PM »
Do the name Lloyd Moore ring a bell?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2010, 09:50:02 PM »
Do the name Lloyd Moore ring a bell?

Ding, ding, ding.  Thank you, one and all, for filling in the blanks. 
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2010, 10:00:53 PM »
A Majerus recruit, Moore, out of Pittsburgh, was a Parade All-American and a one of Street and Smith's top player. Averaged 30 pts. and 19 boards during his senior year in high school.

At 6' 9", Moore hardly sniffed the floor at MU, nor did it appear the cat could run 94 ft. before collapsing.
World class eater. Once observed he and Fat Rick nearly put the Hyatt out of business while dining at their all-you-can-eat Sunday buffet.

Think he transferred to Rutgers and had an undistinguished collegiate career.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2010, 11:29:23 PM »
I think Gardner will end up at USF. Have a very strong hunch about this one.

If that happens, I won't be too broken up about it. Need a big who can run the floor.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2010, 08:08:48 AM »
I don't know about this one, folks. Anyone remember the kid from the Pittsburg area that Majerus (you know, "big man" specialty was RM's strength) signed back in the 80"s?  Lloyd something or other was his name. He was overweight, great hands, no mobility, light on his feet....and relatively soon out the door.  Let's leave this one alone.

What is about some of you that has to bring up some obscure recruit from 20 years ago and make projections based on that?  Yes, Lloyd Moore was fat.  But that's because Lloyd Moore had no motivation to get better and get in shape.  Neither you nor I have no idea of Gardner's motivation.  I'm sure Buzz does though...from talking with his coaches.  Especially since the reports are that he has gotten in much better shape over the past year.

Similar to the Yous comparisons to Hasheem Thabeet.  I guess just because he's a skinny, tall African we can call him the next big thing.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2010, 08:48:55 AM »
Lloyd Moore technically was a Raymond's recruit - was a freshman in Raymond's last year.  I would think Rick was instrumental in recruiting him to MU though.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2010, 09:52:14 AM »
Right now this kid sounds ideal. We have the potential to be incredibly deep next year, and having a big body never hurts. Even if he doesn't get much time, or needs to slim down, four years from a 6'8" guy that will be in the 300 lb range could really help solve a lot of our problems in the blocks.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.