[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PaintTouches]Steve Taylor: Monster on the offensive glass  (Read 1559 times)

PaintTouchesSays

[PaintTouches]Steve Taylor: Monster on the offensive glass
« on: February 27, 2013, 12:30:08 PM »
Steve Taylor: Monster on the offensive glass

Written by: Mark Strotman

Part of Marquette’s successes this season have come from its two bigs — center Chris Otule and center/forward/Ox Davante Gardner — having career years. Otule, finally able to practice and play in full without injury restriction, and Gardner’s ever-improving post … Continue reading →

http://painttouches.com/2013/02/27/steve-taylor-monster-on-the-offensive-glass/

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: [PaintTouches]Steve Taylor: Monster on the offensive glass
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 12:51:29 PM »
If Taylor played enough minutes (a reasonably big IF considering it would require a doubling of minutes), he'd be the 15th best offensive rebounder in the country.

#freestevetaylor

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:57:08 PM »
Awesome writeup Strotty.  With a clearly innate nose for the ball around the rim like Hayward, Butler & Crowder before him, plus pretty much the ideal frame for a stretch 4, it's hard not to project greatness for STJr.

I think with the PT he got in crunch time vs. Cuse, we're seeing the beginning of Buzz freeing Steve Taylor.  Can't wait to see what happens when he gets the full Wes Matthews unleashed treatment.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 01:04:31 PM »
S Jr is a victim of the depth of this team.  If he had come in to a similar bare cupboard situation as the Three Amigos I think he'd have similar numbers as they put of as freshmen.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 01:14:19 PM »
S Jr is a victim of the depth of this team.  If he had come in to a similar bare cupboard situation as the Three Amigos I think he'd have similar numbers as they put of as freshmen.

Mmmmm.... not so sure.  He was pretty lost on D early on.  As he made strides there he has earned more PT and showed off his offensive abilities.  I think he'd have more 'Zar-type frosh numbers (16 mpg, 6.6 ppg, 3.6 rpg).  After all, he came into the exact situation you describe (no bigs on a shallow roster).

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 01:26:50 PM »
Disagree, and agree with Jajuann.  Defense has held Steve back for more minutes

I was going to save this for the next Scrambled Eggs podcast, but what the heck....First time I saw Buzz rely on Steve for defense was in the Cuse game.  He was one of the wings in the 2-3 in the last 7 minutes of the game, in fact Buzz went offense-defense for him and Vander, who saw that coming????  It tells me that Buzz is feeling more comfortable with Steve in defensive scenarios, which should free up more PT for him.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 04:32:17 PM »
In my mind, most top 30 teams would be playing Steve Taylor 20 mimutes a game just for his
rebounding and scoring touch.