Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why has no one mentioned...  (Read 4050 times)

SaveOD238

• All American
Why has no one mentioned...
« on: March 31, 2013, 04:16:30 PM »
Davante's three in the waning seconds?  We've been waiting for him to hit one all season.  With the outcome not in question, he probably said "screw the red light" and put a smile on my face (at least) at the end of that atrocious loss.  That shot was one of the silver linings last night

Sunbelt15

• All American
Re: Why has no one mentioned...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 04:21:33 PM »
Meaningless, sorry!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 04:24:16 PM »
'Cause if the game had any meaning at that point, he'd never had shot it.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

netty24

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 04:38:51 PM »
I would let Davante shoot more of those next year, the guy just has a great touch. If his man sits back in the lane when he is at the three point line, just let it fly. If he can start hitting those, his guy (usually the 5, sometimes the 4) will have to come out of the lane, opening the lane up for vander, jamil, and co. Also, if his man would have to respect his 3pt shot, he could utilize pump fakes and quick feet to beat them to the hoop or to distribute, which he does very well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 04:59:43 PM »
Meaningless, sorry!

It got us to almost 40 points

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 05:05:10 PM »
I was thinking about that after my head cleared a bit post game. Would love to see Ox get the green light to take the 3 if he has a good look. Can you imagine how much that would mess up opponents' game planning??

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 05:15:37 PM »

It got us to almost 40 points

My point exactly! Lol

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »
I was thinking about that after my head cleared a bit post game. Would love to see Ox get the green light to take the 3 if he has a good look. Can you imagine how much that would mess up opponents' game planning??

Didn't Butler's Andrew Smith and Matt Howard have a green light from 3? I always got nervous seeing Otule playing D on a shooting Big Man, knowing the lane was wide open.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 05:33:02 PM »
My point exactly! Lol

Lenny is going to call you a dick for that....or is it dickiest (wait, that's a PRN phrase).  It's all confusing   ;)

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »
Just continuing the trend of most unlikely player to hit the last three of the season at MU.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 11:01:11 PM »
If you watch him shoot pregame, he makes the three pretty consistently. With that being said, he shouldn't develop it. The kid has like a 2 inch vertical. One of the smoothest strokes I've seen for a big man. His shots he took towards the end of the half were the only reason the game was somewhat close at the end of the first. Maybe that little shot can be used more next year.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 11:05:03 PM »
If you watch him shoot pregame, he makes the three pretty consistently. With that being said, he shouldn't develop it. The kid has like a 2 inch vertical. One of the smoothest strokes I've seen for a big man. His shots he took towards the end of the half were the only reason the game was somewhat close at the end of the first. Maybe that little shot can be used more next year.

He SHOULD develop it; rounds out his game (pun intended). Helps him for the next level (whatever it will be) and helps stretch the opposing D.

But his bread and butter should never be forgotten though: his post game.
SS Marquette

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 12:10:49 AM »
Kinda reminded me of when Frozena hit the 3 pointer against UNC.  It's a nice little memory from a God awful game. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 06:38:16 AM »
If MU has to rely on Gardner to be their 3 pt. threat next season, they're in deep poop.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 07:45:45 AM »
I believe he moved our deep ball % for the game from ~8% to ~12%. For that I am thankful.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 08:57:43 AM »
He can make the three...shoot it....not more than once every couple of games, but it is a club in the bag.  I am not saying it should become the staple of the offense, but if opponents respect it they need to defend it.

He should definitely take the open 12-15 footer way more often.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 09:15:07 AM »
He can make the three...shoot it....not more than once every couple of games, but it is a club in the bag.  I am not saying it should become the staple of the offense, but if opponents respect it they need to defend it.

He should definitely take the open 12-15 footer way more often.

Agree. I do not think it would or should become the centerpiece of the offense, but what a nice little surprise to throw in now and then. If he's capable of hitting it (he's shown he is) and has a good open look, would love to see him get the green light to hit it. How do you defend a guy like that??

Check out that video of him hitting the shot from the opposing free throw line during the open practice last week. The guy gets baskets!

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »
Davante's three in the waning seconds?  We've been waiting for him to hit one all season.  With the outcome not in question, he probably said "screw the red light" and put a smile on my face (at least) at the end of that atrocious loss.  That shot was one of the silver linings last night

The fact that the outcome wasn't in question meant that there was no real defense on that shot.

Hard to extrapolate an undefended meaningless shot into something that should be incorporated into a competitive situation when actually being guarded.

As soon as he took one or two of those in game situations, he'd be guarded and probably wouldn't get an easy clean shot. Meanwhile, we'd move our best inside shooter and best offensive rebounder 20+ feet from the basket.

Its a gimick move that might work once (a la Mike Kinsella), but after that would be defended.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 02:09:43 PM »
Its a gimick move that might work once (a la Mike Kinsella), but after that would be defended.

That's the beauty of the gimmick. Only need to him to hit one of those every now and then to get opponents thinking, well sh1t, that guy can hit from the outside, too...we better watch out for that.