collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hydroxychloroquinine updates (and other potential treatments)  (Read 126081 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Hydroxychloroquinine updates (and other potential treatments)
« Reply #200 on: April 28, 2020, 01:30:32 PM »
TBH, the title Doctor means basically nothing. A PhD in Gender Studies from the University of Phoenix, a Chiropractor, and a Neurosurgeon all can legitimately use the title, which means it is already pretty watered down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTtNFEMPktU

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #201 on: April 28, 2020, 01:31:50 PM »
On the other hand, maybe people who aren't medical doctors shouldn't be called doctors.

Gotta tell you, the word nerd in me is kinda intrigued to see so much of a kerfuffle made out of style guides. You wanna get really wild? Let's start talk about how the New Yorker has its own style guide that calls for putting an umlaut above the second vowel of words with two consecutive of the same vowel. E.g. Coordinated gets to be co -umauted-o-rdinated. Now those people are getting really freaky.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 28, 2020, 03:59:49 PM »
I think hards is calling forgetful an idiot.

Nope, I misread the comment that was made.  But that was nice of you to misrepresent what I was saying.

Additionally, I believe forgetful is extremely bright.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #203 on: April 28, 2020, 04:06:05 PM »
Nope, I misread the comment that was made.  But that was nice of you to misrepresent what I was saying.

Additionally, I believe forgetful is extremely bright.

You misread:  oops, my bad.
I and others take you at face value:  you suck.

Dumbass.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #204 on: April 28, 2020, 04:36:07 PM »

On the other hand, maybe people who aren't medical doctors shouldn't be called doctors.

Gotta tell you, the word nerd in me is kinda intrigued to see so much of a kerfuffle made out of style guides. You wanna get really wild? Let's start talk about how the New Yorker has its own style guide that calls for putting an umlaut above the second vowel of words with two consecutive of the same vowel. E.g. Coordinated gets to be co -umauted-o-rdinated. Now those people are getting really freaky.

Since the whole thread has gone off the rails about titles, I'll chime in....

PhDs in many fields at 'real' schools go through extraordinarily rigorous training, so I can understand the rationale for using the title of 'doctor' for a PhD in Psychology from Harvard or a PhD in Microbiology from Stanford. And it doesn't just need to be an Ivy or near-Ivy; plenty of major research universities fall in this category. The problem is that the explosion of for-profit and online schools is making it too easy (IMHO) for anyone with a checkbook and some spare time to get a PhD. For example, there is a place called Breyer State Theological University that offers an "Ethereal Accelerated Doctor of Psychology in Grief Counseling." That is not a typo. The program is completely online, takes 1 year, and costs all of $3,500. And the website includes helpful FAQs that, among other things, tell people how to submit their "previous transcript's." https://breyerstate.com/ethereal-accelerated-doctor-of-psychology-in-grief-counseling/

IMHO, somewhere between those two extremes is a reasonable line defining who really deserves to be called "doctor." I'm just not sure where it lies.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:40:03 PM by GooooMarquette »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #205 on: April 28, 2020, 05:15:27 PM »
In an effort to get this back on the rails. Sorry for the detour.

https://www.livescience.com/covid19-trial-tests-sex-hormone-treatment.html

A trial to see if giving men estrogen can help alleviate the severity of COVID-19. While I think there may be some merit to such a study, uncertain that it can be an effective treatment. Still interesting how people are taking a lot of different approaches to this.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #206 on: April 28, 2020, 05:40:00 PM »
In an effort to get this back on the rails. Sorry for the detour.

https://www.livescience.com/covid19-trial-tests-sex-hormone-treatment.html

A trial to see if giving men estrogen can help alleviate the severity of COVID-19. While I think there may be some merit to such a study, uncertain that it can be an effective treatment. Still interesting how people are taking a lot of different approaches to this.

That is interesting.  And I think it continues to be absolutely vital that the scientific community (and different nations, frankly) continue to take a lot of different approaches.  If everyone does and tries the same things, we might miss things that work.  As I've seen said here many times (but Tower, if memory serves), the scientists need to keep sciencing.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2020, 06:47:13 PM »
You misread:  oops, my bad.
I and others take you at face value:  you suck.

Dumbass.

So sensitive.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2020, 08:23:25 PM »
https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/police-investigating-death-of-arizona-man-from-chloroquine-phosphate/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Turns out poor guy married the wrong person.  Media lap dogs rushed to blame trump along with a lot of posters here on how  he caused this man’s death but turns out his wife might have poisoned him intentionally.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2020, 08:37:24 PM »
https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/police-investigating-death-of-arizona-man-from-chloroquine-phosphate/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Turns out poor guy married the wrong person.  Media lap dogs rushed to blame trump along with a lot of posters here on how  he caused this man’s death but turns out his wife might have poisoned him intentionally.

OMstillB

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2020, 10:26:16 PM »

My wife and I have a strange love of the TV show "Snapped" (stylized documentary about women killing,  typically boyfriends/husbands).  This has got all of the markings an upcoming episode.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #211 on: April 29, 2020, 09:29:00 AM »
On-again off-again potential of Gilead's remdesivir is on again after positive results from an open-label Phase 3 clinical trial, SIMPLE, evaluating five- and 10-day courses in severely ill hospitalized COVID-19 patients.

https://seekingalpha.com/pr/17852549-gilead-announces-results-from-phase-3-trial-of-investigational-antiviral-remdesivir-in

Fingers crossed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #212 on: April 29, 2020, 04:04:01 PM »
On-again off-again potential of Gilead's remdesivir is on again after positive results from an open-label Phase 3 clinical trial, SIMPLE, evaluating five- and 10-day courses in severely ill hospitalized COVID-19 patients.

https://seekingalpha.com/pr/17852549-gilead-announces-results-from-phase-3-trial-of-investigational-antiviral-remdesivir-in

Fingers crossed.

Fauci used unusually aggressive, positive language to describe these results. From the results they've shown they seem to be more aggressive/positive than the data supports. I wonder if they have more data, that hasn't been released yet.

Or it is possible, since this does show a clinical benefit, they are using aggressively positive language to get doctors to use this, and quit using hydroxychloroquine, which has been proven to have no benefit.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #213 on: April 29, 2020, 04:12:40 PM »
Fauci used unusually aggressive, positive language to describe these results. From the results they've shown they seem to be more aggressive/positive than the data supports. I wonder if they have more data, that hasn't been released yet.

Or it is possible, since this does show a clinical benefit, they are using aggressively positive language to get doctors to use this, and quit using hydroxychloroquine, which has been proven to have no benefit.

Agree. I was surprised how outwardly optimistic he was, given his usual more cautious tone. I hope it was because he actually is that optimistic, based on all the facts at his disposal, and not because he was being nudged by somebody.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #214 on: April 29, 2020, 04:14:13 PM »

Proven to have no benefit 🤦‍♂️

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8266737/amp/Doctors-group-claims-hydroxychloroquine-helps-91-coronavirus-patients.html

American Association of Physicians and Surgeons disagrees that hydroxy has no benefit.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #215 on: April 29, 2020, 04:17:51 PM »
Proven to have no benefit 🤦‍♂️

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8266737/amp/Doctors-group-claims-hydroxychloroquine-helps-91-coronavirus-patients.html

American Association of Physicians and Surgeons disagrees that hydroxy has no benefit.

So I googled the "American Association of Physicians and Surgeons."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Physicians_and_Surgeons

"The association is generally recognized as politically conservative or ultra-conservative, and its publication advocates a range of scientifically discredited hypotheses, including the belief that HIV does not cause AIDS, that being gay reduces life expectancy, that there is a link between abortion and breast cancer, and that there is a causal relationship between vaccines and autism."

Sounds credible.  ::)

Seriously people.  Be better. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 04:22:16 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 29, 2020, 04:28:41 PM »

Is there a published link to a double blind randomized study of several hundred subjects that definitively demonstrates that, otherwise it is just all speculation one way or the other.
Let's wait and see what the science tells us not just some observations from a small set of patients that come to opposite conclusions.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 04:35:50 PM by muwarrior69 »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #217 on: April 29, 2020, 04:29:53 PM »

"The association is generally recognized as politically conservative or ultra-conservative, and its publication advocates a range of scientifically discredited hypotheses, including the belief that HIV does not cause AIDS, that being gay reduces life expectancy, that there is a link between abortion and breast cancer, and that there is a causal relationship between vaccines and autism."

LOL.

"AAPS opposes mandated evidence-based medicine and practice guidelines".

You know, I wish the stupid actually did burn.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #218 on: April 29, 2020, 04:30:12 PM »
Is there a published link to a double blind randomized study of several hundred subjects that definitively demonstrates that.

Dont forget peer reviewed.  Gotta have it be peer reviewed.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #219 on: April 29, 2020, 04:31:06 PM »

Isn't this the group during the Tea Party days that said we should get rid of Medicare and Medicaid?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #220 on: April 29, 2020, 04:36:44 PM »
I do appreciate the posters supplying the unintended humor and satire.    Unintentional irony is the best
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #221 on: April 29, 2020, 04:37:14 PM »
Dont forget peer reviewed.  Gotta have it be peer reviewed.

Absolutely.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #222 on: April 29, 2020, 04:40:47 PM »
Is there a published link to a double blind randomized study of several hundred subjects that definitively demonstrates that, otherwise it is just all speculation one way or the other.
Let's wait and see what the science tells us not just some observations from a small set of patients that come to opposite conclusions.

Sure, but I can say the same thing about taking Zyrtec.  Scientists don't set up double blind randomized tests with several hundred subjects in the hope that the crap they've thrown against the wall sticks.

In other words, scientists don't do massive expensive studies on things that don't work in a clinical setting.  There are phases to testing, and you don't blindly move forward on something that lacks evidence of efficacy.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2020, 04:46:55 PM »

Cheers to a reasonable, level headed, patient approach to see what works and what doesn’t!  Linked is a great article listing out all the various clinical trials going on for a whole host of therapeutics including hydroxy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/04/27/tracking-the-hunt-for-coronavirus-drugs-and-vaccines-211416

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #224 on: April 29, 2020, 04:49:29 PM »
Sure, but I can say the same thing about taking Zyrtec.  Scientists don't set up double blind randomized tests with several hundred subjects in the hope that the crap they've thrown against the wall sticks.

In other words, scientists don't do massive expensive studies on things that don't work in a clinical setting.  There are phases to testing, and you don't blindly move forward on something that lacks evidence of efficacy.

So the fact hydroxy is currently involved in numerous different phase III trials shows signs of promise?  Is that what you’re saying?