[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who will be more hated?  (Read 7189 times)

Coleman

• All American
Who will be more hated?
« on: March 21, 2014, 07:36:53 PM »
Buzz or Crean?

I honestly don't know. Creans decision at least made sense, even if he handled it like a total dbag.

This doesn't even make sense to me. If it comes out that Buzz was forced out then I guess I will amend my feelings.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
Re: Who will be more hated?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:38:27 PM »
Well from what I've heard at least Crean was an a hole upfront.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:40:16 PM by melissasmooth »
MU15

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:38:37 PM »
I thought about this earlier...To ME its absolutely Buzz....

Indiana is in fact Indiana (A blue blood)
VTECH SUCKS and has SUCKED for a while

Buzz with all his quotes and all his proclamations to stay will be more hated by me.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 07:38:46 PM »
Time will tell. Reasons for buzz leaving will come to light. I do think this finally puts an end to some of the crean hate though regardless of why buzz left.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 07:39:49 PM »
I hate Buzz more. We knew Crean was slimy, but Buzz turned out to be an even bigger slimeball with all the phony bs he spouted off about all the time.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 07:41:30 PM »
I knew this question would be coming.

Buzz easily.

Crean at least looked and acted like a used carsalseman. Buzz, otoh, sold himself as this "people person" who was above "the business of college bball."

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 07:45:04 PM »
All college basketball coaches are pretty much scum. They are all used car salesmen and BS'ers.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 07:48:05 PM »
Gonna go with Buzz. Crean still does some MU shoutouts cant see Buzz doing that.

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 07:54:24 PM »
No doubt Buzz.   Phony.  As I said to Lenny, thank God I won't have to listen to his Christian BS anymore and how honest and straightforward he is.   Move on.   People will be knocking down the door for this job.  VTech!  My God!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 08:00:21 PM »
You're nuts. Crean in a landslide.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 08:01:51 PM »
Buzz.  They both botched the departure by letting the story break before telling their players, but:

TC took us to a Final Four.  Buzz did well, but not that well.
TC left for a higher profile program.  Buzz left for a hoops backwater.
TC came when the cupboard was relatively bare.  Buzz inherited the Amigos and Lazar.

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 08:20:38 PM »
You're nuts. Crean in a landslide.

Once again, an intelligent response!  Grow up!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 08:23:13 PM »
I hate Dukiet more.  For coming in the first place.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 08:23:23 PM »
Buzz.  They both botched the departure by letting the story break before telling their players, but:

TC took us to a Final Four.  Buzz did well, but not that well.
TC left for a higher profile program.  Buzz left for a hoops backwater.
TC came when the cupboard was relatively bare.  Buzz inherited the Amigos and Lazar.
And Buzz is leaving with the cupboard bare.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 08:24:22 PM »

Was Dukiet the piano man coach?
MU15

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »
Once again, an intelligent response!  Grow up!
Are you drunk?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 08:27:23 PM »
Had this discussion in a thread one month ago. Many people said they'd root for Buzz when he left because of his strong character. We'll see where they stand in the near future.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 08:46:11 PM »
I was castigated by most members of this forum back in 2010 when Buzz pulled his commitment from DJ Newbill.  I have questioned Buzz's true intentions since listening to the voicemail messages he left for Newbill's high school coach four years ago.  Buzz did not contact Newbill or his family, instead choosing to have the kid's high school mentor relay the devastating news.  If that's not a dubious tactic, I'm not sure what would qualify.  Buzz was by everyone's account an estimable man who kept his word and delivered on his commitments.  He was a loyal man who sincerely appreciated the incredible opportunity Marquette afforded him when the school took a chance on a relatively neophytic basketball leader.  For at least the second time now Buzz Williams has proven to be less than truthful and insincere.  I'm sorry the rest of you have gotten a chance to see the other side that was so disappointingly unveiled to me back in 2010.  The way he handled the Newbill situation was certainly duplicitous and today's news shows that wasn't an anomaly.  Remember, Buzz will stay at Marquette as long as the school will have him. 

"Here's the thing: My title has changed. My W-2 has changed. But my heart hasn't changed," he said. "This is a business that's full of egos, full of media-savvy people, full of exposure, full of money, and a lot of time that changes people. I don't want my title, I don't want my income to ever change who I am.  "I understand the evolution of how coaches change and how the media and the power hungriness of it all changes people. But I refuse to let it change me. I know I'll get older and I'll handle it better, I hope, but I don't ever want to change what I believe in my heart to be right.

"I'll be here as long as they'll have me here."

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 08:51:23 PM »
And Buzz is leaving with the cupboard bare.

Yeah man a top 100 PG a top 100 all rookie Big East Deonte. Cupboard is bare right now. If anything Buzz leaving purges us of the awful players he started over those with actual talent.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 10:41:35 PM »
I was castigated by most members of this forum back in 2010 when Buzz pulled his commitment from DJ Newbill.  I have questioned Buzz's true intentions since listening to the voicemail messages he left for Newbill's high school coach four years ago.  Buzz did not contact Newbill or his family, instead choosing to have the kid's high school mentor relay the devastating news.  If that's not a dubious tactic, I'm not sure what would qualify.  Buzz was by everyone's account an estimable man who kept his word and delivered on his commitments.  He was a loyal man who sincerely appreciated the incredible opportunity Marquette afforded him when the school took a chance on a relatively neophytic basketball leader.  For at least the second time now Buzz Williams has proven to be less than truthful and insincere.  I'm sorry the rest of you have gotten a chance to see the other side that was so disappointingly unveiled to me back in 2010.  The way he handled the Newbill situation was certainly duplicitous and today's news shows that wasn't an anomaly.  Remember, Buzz will stay at Marquette as long as the school will have him. 

Money talks and bullchit walks.

"Here's the thing: My title has changed. My W-2 has changed. But my heart hasn't changed," he said. "This is a business that's full of egos, full of media-savvy people, full of exposure, full of money, and a lot of time that changes people. I don't want my title, I don't want my income to ever change who I am.  "I understand the evolution of how coaches change and how the media and the power hungriness of it all changes people. But I refuse to let it change me. I know I'll get older and I'll handle it better, I hope, but I don't ever want to change what I believe in my heart to be right.

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 10:43:07 PM »

The man is dead

Death on call

thisists

• Starter
  • brew city bred
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 10:46:38 PM »
Buzz or Crean?

I honestly don't know. Creans decision at least made sense, even if he handled it like a total dbag.

This doesn't even make sense to me. If it comes out that Buzz was forced out then I guess I will amend my feelings.

crean all day.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 10:47:43 PM »
Buzz is like KO and  cannot hate him. Both got a job above their bar and delivered the goods.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 10:53:52 PM »

That was a dirty deal...and for me...as much as I loved Buzz at that point...was a real red flag and incongruent with what perception I'd had of him at that point.  But, there was no spinning that deal.  It was an absolute case of - I want Jamil, more than I want DJ Newbill...sorry...we don't have a spot for you anymore.

There was nothing more to it than that.  The whole charade about DJ not having turned in his application to MU, was no more than a cop out/excuse to squirm his way out of the offer to DJ...for a player he felt would have been better for the program.  Ironic how it turned out...as I'm not sure Jamil ended up being better than Newbill...his production certainly wasn't better, but harder to find an athletic 6'8" guy than a 6'4" shooting guard..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Goose

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 10:55:57 PM »
I will LOVE Buzz dance at WVU until I die. Great win and great memory for me.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 02:44:06 AM »
Why does either have to be hated?

TC gave us our only Final Four in the post Al era and got us into to the Big East

Buzz gave us the closest thing we had to the 70s with 5 straight tournament appearances, 3 sweet 16s, and an elite 8.

Both did wonders for our program? Why hate them? Because they left? We as a fanbase sound like a 16 year old who tries to convince themselves that their ex never deserved their love
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 10:25:37 AM »

It's amazing to me how many folks in the last 24 hours finally had their eyes opened.  Kool Aid can have a strong effect on people, a debilitating effect that allows truthiness to be ignored or outright dismissed.   

I'm still amazed to this day how when K.O. craps on MU while coach and after as coach (he has finally come around) and leaves for a women's basketball school...that is cool.  Buzz now leaves for Va. unnatural carnal knowledgeing Tech...many will be cool with.  Each stayed less than 6 years.  TC leaves for a blue blood after delivering a Final Four, the Big East, etc, etc...it is interesting to say the least.

Never trust a coach. 

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2014, 10:28:38 AM »

Cheeky

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 10:33:15 AM »
Why does either have to be hated?

TC gave us our only Final Four in the post Al era and got us into to the Big East

Buzz gave us the closest thing we had to the 70s with 5 straight tournament appearances, 3 sweet 16s, and an elite 8.

Both did wonders for our program? Why hate them? Because they left? We as a fanbase sound like a 16 year old who tries to convince themselves that their ex never deserved their love

Personally, I hate Buzz because his words ring hollow. He talked all this nonsense about loyalty and culture and doing the right thing. He was an awful coach this year and bailed for a substandard job. He is a diva and a phony...I am now glad he is gone!! I think his act might have worn thin on the players as well.

White Shaq

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 10:35:59 AM »
Wow. This is tough... Right now it's Buzz but the fresh wound always stings the most. It would interesting to ask this again a year from now. My thought is it would be pretty evenly split.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 10:40:02 AM »
If I had to go to dinner with all the living MU coaches...I would make sure TC sat at one end, and me at the other. 

Buzz looked out for Buzz.  Wow, what a shock.  Look Al would have taken the Bucks job, Deane would have taken BC.  They all leave. 

But Tommy...that guy was a piece of work.  Never cared from him from Day 1.  And to top it off, he shrinks.

Buzz always gave you a chance and he was entertaining as hell.  I'm not looking for my kid;s godfather here, I'm just a fan on a message board.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 10:58:03 AM »
Buzz will never be hated more than Crean.

- He took a program, which still was loaded, and continued to load it for the next 5 years.
- He didn't experience a drop off...until this year. And I think this is what may haunt him and his career: he bailed when there was a down year; he bailed when, what should have been a better season with returning players, they didn't meet expectations
- He talked about the kids and the program and didn't gussy it up like Crean did
- He talked about family but in a different way than Crean did
- He never hung his hat on just one player like Crean did with Wade
- He didn't leave on April Fools' Day

I wonder if Buzz knew this was going to be it, the last year at MU.
It's possible that it affected his coaching and decision making.
I think we've all had situations when you knew you're going to move on - careers, relationships, etc. - and you just didn't care the closer that final decision approached.
SS Marquette

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2014, 11:29:51 AM »
Crean, not even close

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2014, 11:32:09 AM »
It's tough to hate an Idiot Savant. They are annoying, however

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2014, 11:34:12 AM »
Keefe

LOL

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2014, 12:04:39 PM »
Well, I contend a lot of eyes were finally opened.  I completely understand the fandom excuse and glossing over warts, etc....ignoring stuff, etc.    Fans do it all the time, it's ok for our guys to do something, but not someone else.  Call it the Charles Martin effect.  If the Bears did that to Aaron Rodgers, Packers fans would kill someone, but Martin became a hero for doing it to Jim McMahon. 

Let's just stop with the hypocrisy of it all and call it what it is.  Marquette graduates are a smart lot, they don't need to be making excuses or using one standard for one coach and a different one for the current coach for the simple reason he is current employed by MU.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2014, 12:11:23 PM »
Crean
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2014, 01:41:53 PM »
If I had to go to dinner with all the living MU coaches...I would make sure TC sat at one end, and me at the other. 

Buzz looked out for Buzz.  Wow, what a shock.  Look Al would have taken the Bucks job, Deane would have taken BC.  They all leave. 

But Tommy...that guy was a piece of work.  Never cared from him from Day 1.  And to top it off, he shrinks.

Buzz always gave you a chance and he was entertaining as hell.  I'm not looking for my kid;s godfather here, I'm just a fan on a message board.

For dinner, absolutely.  For a beer, absolutely.  As a buddy, absolutely.   Could not agree more. 

As an honest broker, I throw all of them in the same trash heap.  Now, if it turns out that Buzz gets us in trouble with the NCAA, I then wonder how many more eyeballs will be opened around here.   

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2014, 01:43:44 PM »
Chico's

Well played again.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2014, 01:46:32 PM »
Squirmy is ok, as long as they're fun in the bar and tell great stories....or just plain not a prick. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2014, 01:54:54 PM »
For dinner, absolutely.  For a beer, absolutely.  As a buddy, absolutely.   Could not agree more. 

As an honest broker, I throw all of them in the same trash heap.  Now, if it turns out that Buzz gets us in trouble with the NCAA, I then wonder how many more eyeballs will be opened around here.   
Truer words were never spoken.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2014, 02:04:38 PM »
I won't hate Buzz, just as I didn't/won't hate Crean.
I will enjoy watching him flameout at VaTech, though. As highly as I've thought of him, I can't imagine how he'll turn that program into a consistent winner. Hope he likes the NIT.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2014, 03:03:05 PM »

where was his roscoe...in the back?

Death on call

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2014, 03:19:17 PM »
It more than hanging at a bar.  I had family work for Crean. I had family honored at halftime by Crean. I think I have a pretty good feel for who he is as a person. 

I just do not care for him.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2014, 03:36:35 PM »
I hate all this hate talk.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2014, 03:46:32 PM »
The wound is fresh. The decision makes no sense. But Buzz is still more tolerable than Crean IMO

mhendrick

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2014, 04:05:26 PM »
Love Buzz, but think it was time for him to go. His players looked as confused on the court as I was
after listening to one of his interviews. I have never heard one man take so long to say so little. I remember
Homer asking him a question once and he went off on one of his absurd rambles only to say 5 minutes later
that he forgot what the question was. Not sure how anyone could hate either Crean or Buzz? Both did very good things for the program and both have the right to move on if they want to. Everyone is replaceable; lets just pray that
we do not get another Mike D. or Bob D.

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2014, 04:09:35 PM »
I believe Buzz will be. Crean left in a horrible way, with the best chance at a final four run in years. But Buzz, not only had two amazing classes coming in, being a way better coach then Crean, he left like a total douche. All year long people could sense something was wrong with him, he just didn't seem to care about the games. This year smelled bad since the southern game. And now with Harris following him, you could tell he was scheming this for a while.

*All this relies on the fact that MU didn't run him out of town.