[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who will be the number 1 pick?  (Read 3373 times)

muarmy81

• All American
Who will be the number 1 pick?
« on: June 05, 2007, 01:25:08 PM »
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2007/06/greg_oden_is_a_freak_of_nature.html

This came off of cnnsi's extra mustard page and it details the freakish stats of Oden at the Predraft camp.  I would already have leaned towards Oden in the draft but after this you gotta think Portland is going to select him...I mean Durant can't even bench 185 lbs once?  he'll get tossed outta the arena by NBA defenders.

tower912

• All American
Re: Who will be the number 1 pick?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 05:30:30 PM »
Oden.   He is potentially a once-in-a-generation big man.   Durant could very well be another Garnett or McGrady.   How many playoff series, let alone titles, have they won between them?   I am in no way diminishing Durant's skills.   But there are 10 guys in the league who can do just about the same things he does.   7 footers with strength, touch, hops, back to the basket moves, and great defensive skills are rare.   On the flip side, Oden could be the next Olowakandi, but I highly doubt it.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
Oden...
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 07:26:25 PM »
will be the first pick. I like Durant alot but its not even debatable.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 10:47:26 AM »
these numbers prove that he's not going to be the next Olawakandi.  The Kandi Man was a big stiff whereas Oden is quick, agile, strong...etc.  He's going to be GREAT!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 01:04:43 PM »
One thing makes me nervous about Oden...

His whole life he has played against guys who are smaller than him and he has dominated.

When he comes up against guys his own size and strength level... how will he do? I assume he will be good/great... but I think that is a risk when looking at him.

Obviously Shaq had the same issues when he came out, but he is a once in a generation guy. I'm not sure if Oden will be the next Chamberland or the next Khandi Man.

Durant just oozes with talent... but he's pretty light... so he will have to add strength before he can become a defender in the NBA. The kid has got a crazy offensive game, though.

I just hope he doesn't fall in love with his own jumper like Tmac and especially VCarter seem to. Guys with that kind of athletic ability should be going hard at the rim all of the time (dwade, lebron, chris paul)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 03:17:30 PM »
Against Fla in the Championship game, he took on two first round draft picks and a third who has a chance to play in the league and more than held his own.   His first year, he should be one of the top 10 big men in the league.   The Hibbert match-up was dictated by the officials, but he did fine.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 03:22:53 PM »
Nearly every frontline player in the NBA has played against much smaller competiton coming into the league. It's not even a salient argument. Olawakandi was nowhere NEAR the prospect that Oden is. Neither was Shaq, for that matter. Only LeBron compares as a prospect and Oden is more sought after. He's that unique.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 03:34:12 PM »
Nearly every frontline player in the NBA has played against much smaller competiton coming into the league. It's not even a salient argument. Olawakandi was nowhere NEAR the prospect that Oden is. Neither was Shaq, for that matter. Only LeBron compares as a prospect and Oden is more sought after. He's that unique.

I was right with you until the Shaq comment.
Shaq was light years ahead of Oden as a prospect. Light years. Much bigger, much stronger, faster and more athletic. O'Neal did things no big man had ever done before him or since, i.e. leading fast breaks, dribbling end-to-end for a dunk, etc. I'm not even certain Oden can dribble, much less drive full court.
Oden is more comparble to the man that was drafted just behind O'Neal, Alonzo Mourning.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 03:49:18 PM »
Oden will be a terrific pro, but you're right, Pakuni, he's nowhere near what Shaq was coming out of college.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 04:03:46 PM »
You guys are off. Shaq was a question mark -- his weight, his desire, his free throw shooting, his competitiveness. He was not the sure thing that Oden is -- and I know Oden has question marks, too.

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 05:37:10 PM »
Oden.   He is potentially a once-in-a-generation big man.   Durant could very well be another Garnett or McGrady.   How many playoff series, let alone titles, have they won between them?   I am in no way diminishing Durant's skills.   But there are 10 guys in the league who can do just about the same things he does.   7 footers with strength, touch, hops, back to the basket moves, and great defensive skills are rare.   On the flip side, Oden could be the next Olowakandi, but I highly doubt it.

Who are the other 8 guys besides KG and Tim Duncan that posses all of those things in one package??

And nightmare - the longer you keep saying Shaq was not a prospect on the Oden level the more credibility you lose.   That was the first draft since the Ewing that people were clamoring for that no.1 pick
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 06:44:21 AM »
Lamar Odom, Tayshaun Prince, Rasheed Wallace, Rashard Lewis, Carmelo Anthony, Dirk Nowitzki, Boris Diaw, Pau Gasol, Andre Iguodala, Andre Kirilinko, Luol Deng I would even throw  Lebron (6'-8") and Kobe into that group even though they're more guard types than forward type players.  Bottom line, Durant will be a great player but if I had to choose I'd pick Oden.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 09:33:04 AM »
Against Fla in the Championship game, he took on two first round draft picks and a third who has a chance to play in the league and more than held his own.   His first year, he should be one of the top 10 big men in the league.   The Hibbert match-up was dictated by the officials, but he did fine.

I agree that Oden is a great talent, and will probably be a great player... I'm just trying to present the other side.

Big guys are a gamble because often they are able to dominate because they are just bigger and stronger than every player they come up against. Oden was HUGE is highschool and was able to do anything he wanted. He was also bigger than most in college, and was able to dominate (at times)

As far a the Hibbert thing, I watched that game as well, and quite frankly Oden struggled... and it wasn't because of the officials. BUT, I also have to realize that the kid is only 19 so he has tremendous upside.

He will probably be a great pro...

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 09:53:09 AM »
PRN--Shaq wasn't a sure thing? You're joking, right?

feedback